2015 ISU Challenger Series Confirmed | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 ISU Challenger Series Confirmed

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I must not be the only one who thinks Mordavian(Sp?) Ornament sounds like a European sports car or something like that?

... It's so fun to speculate about what weird things could potentially be called "Mordavian Ornament," lol :drama:

Мордовские узоры is the Russian name of the Challenger event in Saransk, as mentioned on the previous page of this thread.

Мордовские узоры is the name also of a store in Saransk that sells clothing/costumes/uniforms.

So perhaps the store is sponsoring the Challenger comp???

LRK

Record Breaker
But of course!

Long ago, Princess Elena I of Mordavia arranged-married to Prince Nikita I of Crazytown. Indifferent to this arrangement, Elena obliged, only to be devastated when Nikita ran off in the middle of the night. The seething princess ordered a full-scale manhunt for the backstabbing nutjob, but in the peasants' crazed search for the one who had so wounded their beloved princess, the wrong man was convicted. Some random guy named Ruslan was arrested in Nikita's place by somebody who had no idea what Nikita actually looked like. In return for his freedom, he gave the princess an ancient pendant that had been in his family for centuries. Though they never met again, she never forgot the man they thought was Nikita, so she passed the necklace down to her children, and they to theirs, to remember him by. It survived over twelve wars, always secreted away to a trusted palace official when it was in danger. But once, it did not return. (Nobody searched for it, knowing that one day, it would find an owner who needed it more than they.) It had ended up in the hands of a young girl named Yulia, who discovered that it had an incredible power: the ability to give the owner the skill to become an elite athlete. When Yulia first set foot on ice, there was no going back. The necklace began to work its magic. And some magic it worked! She became one of the greatest figure skaters the world had ever seen.

When Yulia won Olympic (team) gold, she told her teammates about the pendant. Upon learning its history, she returned it to Elena Ilinykh (this one was Elena XVII). The Mordavian Ornament had returned to its rightful owner. The characters of its colorful history could rest in peace knowing its mission was complete.

And as a reward for its gift to the world, the storied jewel became a skating event.

;)

:clap:

I love stories - and that's a great one. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Мордовские узоры is the Russian name of the Challenger event in Saransk, as mentioned on the previous page of this thread.

Мордовские узоры is the name also of a store in Saransk that sells clothing/costumes/uniforms.

So perhaps the store is sponsoring the Challenger comp???

Excellent sleuthing, golden! - I like that the store seems to be selling folk-dress type clothes, rather than random clothes one could get anywhere... If they are indeed sponsoring the event, chances are that their clothing would be in evidence at the victory ceremonies, and I think that would be nice.:)

TMC

Record Breaker
I'm too dense to be able to use the search effectively, so before I go to "Stupid questions" thread, I'll ask this here (again, since another poster already wondered about it above):

How is it that Finlandia Trophy is a CS event even though there is no pair skating? I would think that all disciplines would be mandatory at least in order to get CS status?

Okay there's only like one (1) junior-level pairs team in that country, but surely that can't be the reason not to welcome other teams from other countries? I don't get it. I mean I suppose they want FT to have a more prestigious status this year-- and next year-- in order to drum up some interest pre-Worlds 2017....but it was a CS event even before Helsinki 2017 was announced :confused:

Also, I'm baffled by this "TPTB don't want advertising", when my FB feed is near-full of all sorts of FT hype, from mitten competitions to whatever crazy event they're going to build around the skating order lottery this time (last year it was in a shopping mall) :laugh2:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
How is it that Finlandia Trophy is a CS event even though there is no pair skating? I would think that all disciplines would be mandatory at least in order to get CS status?
If I remember correctly, they only need to host 3 out of 4 disciplines to qualify joining the Challenger series.

They are not the only Challenger series competition only hosting 3 this year, and (not sure, but) I don't think they were the only one last year either.

They have included pairs about three times before, but it's been quite a while since the last time - I guess they couldn't attract enough teams to compete (I believe there is a minimum number of countries that must participate, for a discipline to be included)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm too dense to be able to use the search effectively, so before I go to "Stupid questions" thread, I'll ask this here (again, since another poster already wondered about it above):

How is it that Finlandia Trophy is a CS event even though there is no pair skating? I would think that all disciplines would be mandatory at least in order to get CS status? ...

Off topic :hijacked: but I'm glad :) that you placed your question here -- as opposed to in the Stupid Questions thread.

To me, the Stupid Questions thread offers a good home for miscellaneous so-called SQs that have little or nothing in common with the designated topics of other existing threads (and thus would be clear distractions).

But when a so-called Stupid ;) Question is closely related to a topic that has an existing thread, it makes much more sense to me for it to be asked and answered in the topical thread -- so the posts are easily accessible (both immediately and for posterity) to those interested in the topic.

The Stupid Questions thread is great :) for miscellaneous questions, but because it has gotten so long, it is easy to forget (or never know in the first place) which posts there have good discussion/answers about a certain topic.

(I don't know whether the answer to your question already is buried somewhere in the Stupid Questions thread. In any case, it is completely appropriate for the question to be discussed here, IMO.)
[Climbing down from my soapbox now ;).]

TMC

Record Breaker
If I remember correctly, they only need to host 3 out of 4 disciplines to qualify joining the Challenger series.

They are not the only Challenger series competition only hosting 3 this year, and (not sure, but) I don't think they were the only one last year either.

They have included pairs about three times before, but it's been quite a while since the last time - I guess they couldn't attract enough teams to compete (I believe there is a minimum number of countries that must participate, for a discipline to be included)

Ah I see, thank you!

I misunderstood; because Finlandia was the only CS event with "(no Pair Skating)" in the OP, I assumed that all the other events would have all the disciplines. Otherwise, I imagined, there would be one or two with "(no Ice Dance)" or "(no Pair Skating)" after the event title :)

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Last year, there were several Challenger Series events that had trouble attracting enough pairs for the events to "make." (The Challenger Series rule stipulated a certain number of pairs entered and a certain number of countries represented for the event to "make" and for the skaters to be eligible for points.) Consequently, at least one Challenger Series event cancelled its pairs segment. Given the small number of internationally competitive pairs, maybe it's better to limit the number of Challenger events with pairs competitions.