WHO makes the best boots and blades in the biz? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

WHO makes the best boots and blades in the biz?

skatepixie

On the Ice
You should *never* *ever* *ever* have a ton of pain with boots, even in break in. I thought I was being a wimp too with my Reidells, but I really simply needed customs for my messed up feet. Ive had no pain from the new ones at all...

Figure_Skater

Spectator
I had SP-teris for years but now I have Jacksons and I love them! My only complaint is that they break down too quickly....but then again I'm pretty hard on my skates!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I have been looking at GRAF, Harlick, and Klingbeil's. I emailed SP-Teri but have yet to receive a reply. Oh frustration....custom boots, not broken down, and skating in pain, or acute discomfort.

I hate to buy new boots, but am sick of skating in pain, or total numbness. Okay, I am off my soapbox. *heavy sigh*

takura

On the Ice
Some people say costom made boots are better, cause there made just for you or there easier to brake into. <(**<) (>**)>It's a dancing kirby!

Kyla

Rinkside
I have skated in Wifa's, Risports, Gams, and now Grafs. For me, Graf has been by far the best skate. But that's just my opinion, everyone's feet are different. But I'll be needing new boots for sure by the '05-'06 season, and I will get another pair of Grafs. I won't ever wear another kind. They were incredibly easy to break in, as well as light.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
okay, back on my soapbox

I finally received a response from Mr. SPTeri himslef stating that I should have not waited and complained immediately to the person that did the fitting. (I thought that pain was part of breaking in new boots...shame on me) He said that I basically waited too long and it would cost $90 to fix what was wrong with them (heel slippage...just acquired in the last couple of months). I am disappointed to say the least with this situation. SO...

I have emailed GRAF and Klingbeil. Mr. Klingbeil emailed me back with 2 very enthusiastic emails, and has been very patient with all of my questions. Now it is down to GRAF and Klingbeil. I have found this thread to be of value for the pursuit of new boots. When it was started, I was not even thinking about new boots. I was going to grin (or grimace and bear it. I will be looking back over thi thread to see what info there is about the 2 selections. GRAF does not make a custom as far as I can tell, and I would not know how to order...anyone have ideas on that while I am waiting for them to reply?

Thanks! :\

yummyNoodles

Rinkside
I have skated in reidells, harlicks, sp teris, jacksons, and now custom harlicks. I will never EVER EVER wear another pair of jacksons or reidells! My jackson boots broke down in four months, and in that time they gave me the worst bunions on both feet, so now I basically HAVE to go custom (which my mom is not too pleased about). The skates were fit by a very experienced skate dealer who sells harlick, sp teri, jackson, reidell, graf, you name it. I know a number of other skaters who have had the same kinds of problems with Jacksons, the toe box is just not wide enough for most feet. My custom harlicks are very nice, by the way....

The new Parabolic blades ROCK! they really help with edges and all takeoffs, including toe jumps, especially on harder ice (i'm convinced that our rink has the hardest, coldest ice in the history of the world! lol). I'll never use non-parabolic blades again. Parabloic Pattern 99 all the way! :)

artekgwent

Rinkside
Glacierskater said:
Now it is down to GRAF and Klingbeil. I \

I got my custom Klingbeils 5 weeks ago. (the famous not-purple boots). I did order them soft, however. And I can say that after three weeks of skating they were feeling mostly very, very GOOD. I definitely have to go back & get a place on one boot punched out a little, but it's not crippling (I haven't had time to go yet, as I've been out of town for 2 wks). I do think the heels could be tighter, but when i go back I think they will fix that. I had to get wedges, which I am sure they could have done, but it was easier to go to a more local person who has done it frequently for skaters. But overall, they feel comfortable. I think the service there is very, very good. (PS I really like my parabolic blades too!)

KatyaFan

Rinkside
hello
sorry if im not late to add my two cents.
i started lessons this past jan, which i bought a pair of stock,$180 reidell skates. so im in the same boat as you sarah. i havent had any problem learning the elements is a good-cheaper pair of skates. im up to salchow toe loop combos, and sit, back, camel spins. i dont think you will have any problem with your new skates. they sound really nice!! i hope they break in well for you, and are comfortable. youll have to keep an update here on your progress!!
i must say i havent had too many problems with my reidell skates. i like them a lot. but i think my next pair will be grafs, and to go a lil further and buy the edmonton special! i tried them on the in skate shop which i fell in love with, but too expensive at the time i was buying. :D

Glacierskater

On the Ice
artekgwent said:
I got my custom Klingbeils 5 weeks ago. (the famous not-purple boots). I did order them soft, however. And I can say that after three weeks of skating they were feeling mostly very, very GOOD. I definitely have to go back & get a place on one boot punched out a little, but it's not crippling (I haven't had time to go yet, as I've been out of town for 2 wks). I do think the heels could be tighter, but when i go back I think they will fix that. I had to get wedges, which I am sure they could have done, but it was easier to go to a more local person who has done it frequently for skaters. But overall, they feel comfortable. I think the service there is very, very good. (PS I really like my parabolic blades too!)

Ohhhh, you got parabolics? How are those? Do they feel weird?

I have made my decision! I am spending my 35th birthday with my coach and some friends in NYC, and going to Jamaica, NY to get fitted by Mr. Klingbeil himself. I just have to hold onto these Teri's until November. Thanks for the feedback. I think that I will just stick with white...although purple AND pink would both be enticing :p

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Glacier - I love my (stock) Klingbeils. Zero break in, comfy as slipper from the start. The only problem I had with them, and it didn't start until I started doing doubles again, was the tongue slipping to the outside and digging into my ankle bone. Solved that by using a cut lace looped through the tongue slot to hold it in place. My fitter is having them put hooks on the tongue for his custom skate customers to address this problem. You might want to mention it to them when you go in. And please, forward my pleasure with their product while you're there! I'll be looking at another pair soon myself - just need to save up the $.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
sk8er1964 said:
Glacier - I love my (stock) Klingbeils. Zero break in, comfy as slipper from the start. The only problem I had with them, and it didn't start until I started doing doubles again, was the tongue slipping to the outside and digging into my ankle bone. Solved that by using a cut lace looped through the tongue slot to hold it in place. My fitter is having them put hooks on the tongue for his custom skate customers to address this problem. You might want to mention it to them when you go in. And please, forward my pleasure with their product while you're there! I'll be looking at another pair soon myself - just need to save up the $.

1964, I will send your regards. I am glad that you mentioned the tongue hook. I have been corresponding with Mr. Klingbeil via email (probably driving him crazy) and he assued me that they can make any adjustment that I would like on the boots, from the typical options to the knotch at the ankle so more flex. I am also going to see if they can roll the leather at the top of the boot. I think that the rough terrian at the top of my Teri's is impacting my spread eagle, as it cuts into my legs.

I am starting that climb to the axel and doubles, and I need have confidence in my boots. Currently, I do not. I think that SPTeri make a good product, I just think that maybe my fitting was not so good, or they are not the right boot for me. I have fought them since I got them going on 3 years ago. I am very much anticipating November.

Question on the GRAF's: You said that you tried the Edmonton on. I have not seen any custom options for this company, and suspect that they make only stock. If that is the case (and I have heard it said that the Europeans do not do customs, they just get really good stock boots - many of them in GRAFs) then how do you get a good fit? Are they just that good that a stock boot in your foot size will automatically fit? I hate to sound so clueless, but with the things that skating does to one's feet, I am surprised that I have not seen anything on GRAF customs. Can anyone enlighten me on this?

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Glacierskater- I just called Graf and they said they make custom skates. Here is their number (toll free) 1-888-703-GRAF (4723). Give them a call and see what they say.