2015 World Team Trophy Free Dance Apr 17 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2015 World Team Trophy Free Dance Apr 17

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Not true, not at all. When those teams made errors, their scores clearly reflected it.

When V&M did Carmen for the first time on the Grand Prix circuit, at Skate Canada, they made observable errors and were penalized for them.

When D&W did their Tango FD for the first time on the Grand Prix Circuit, at Skate America, back in the autumn of 2010, they made some uncharacteristic major errors and were clearly punished for them.

These are just two examples; numerous others could be cited.

P&C are a fine team and their FD is lovely. But it's premature for them to be getting V&M and D&W scores. It is no insult to P&C to make this simple observation. The inflated scores suggest a whiff of desperation on the part of dance judge community - it's as if they want to assure the public that the sport can survive the retirements of V&M and D&W by claiming there is no loss of quality at the top. And of course the sport will survive, and who knows, maybe some day P&C and other teams will indeed surpass V&M and D&W. But it seems like the judges are trying to rush the process by giving scores that exceed the quality of skating that P&C are actually delivering at this moment. In fact, the same is true of C&B and W&P, if to a lesser extent.

I like all three teams, btw.
The scores may have reflected the errors but the result did not.
Many teams behind did skate clean but had no chance of getting past either.
Look at the 2012 4CC. V/M stopped yet were allowed to continue & still got silver.
And I am ALSO a huge V/M & D/W fan. But I don't see the point of others slating couples for getting high scores because for some V/M & D/W were untouchable. P/C & W/P are improving all the time. I think they are getting the marks they deserve.
Why are others so offended that these teams could achieve high scores ?.
Enjoy the couples skating now.

LisaM

Medalist
To me it's not about whether or not PC (or CB or WP) should or should not score higher than DW and VM, it's about them not getting appropriately penalized for mistakes. Sure it is a judged sport and individual taste is a factor, but I'm pretty sure that the judging rules say that twizzles that are out of sync are by definition not +3.

slider11

Medalist
Really felt badly for Cathy Reed. I wonder if they are hanging up their skates and she is sad because this is the last? I've always liked this team and wished they could have finished stronger.

Too bad for Evan's fall. Couldn't tell if he slipped or if Madison misplaced her foot in his way. Could anyone tell? Great come back with that lift seconds after the fall; that's superior training! I think the judges are still on a honeymoon with Gabriella and Guillaume. Fabulous program but I thought it was not nearly as smooth as Worlds. I think Kaitlyn and Andrew deserved first with that dynamic interpretation of Four Seasons. I'm sure most noticed that they would have been #1 overall with the combined SD and FD scores. That should be some incentive for next year!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
hehe hilarious comment ;)

i am from canada.. we say fall :)
As you know, I am not from North America. Hence, I have been brought up to use the term "Autumn" in preference to "Fall".

But, when the Canadians were holding up signs for each of the four seasons, I really did not like seeing Meagan holding up a piece of paper that said "Fall".

To me, with Meagan and Eric still to do their Free Skate tomorrow, that is just tempting fate. It could be a bad omen for them. :eek:

We have been talking about Voodoo all season. So, it is very uneasy seeing somebody potentially doing Voodoo on themselves! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

caitie

Medalist
Too bad for Evan's fall. Couldn't tell if he slipped or if Madison misplaced her foot in his way. Could anyone tell?

I was wondering about this as well. I couldn't tell either, though, and the camera people at WTT were kind not to replay it, lol.

Anyway, it kind of sucks for them because that's a rotten way to end the season. But overall this was a good season for them. I hope they have better programs next season as neither of these was all that great IMO, but seeing as how Igor is their choreographer I won't hold my breath... :slink:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
You know she's screaming at Evan right now away from the cameras.

Yep an SK or Barbara P moment it is just Madison knows the fall out from those two - got to control the diva witch inside of her lol. Nice recovery but I would move I and Z higher.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Does anyone know if Evan or Madison commented on their fall? I haven't seen anything about it ... but it looked from the replay like their skates may have hit each other? Really too bad because they were looking great up to that point, and it's amazing they pulled off that lift right afterward.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
this whole discussion about Papadakis/Cizeron scores being or not being insulting for Virtue/Moir or Davis/White level is pointless at this point in my opinion. Let's face it - there's a very little chance for coming back these two teams into competition and show must go on, also with scoring.

The scoring is supposed to be a universal standard, though. If moves that aren't actually the best are getting +3 GOE's (+GOE's in general are handed out much too liberally), then what motivation does that give skaters to actually go above and beyond? It stagnates the sport as a whole when there is no drive for people to try to work on "signature" moves or really push themselves to correct flaws, since they are being rewarded as if they are amazing for merely being "good".

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
The scoring is supposed to be a universal standard, though. If moves that aren't actually the best are getting +3 GOE's (+GOE's in general are handed out much too liberally), then what motivation does that give skaters to actually go above and beyond? It stagnates the sport as a whole when there is no drive for people to try to work on "signature" moves or really push themselves to correct flaws, since they are being rewarded as if they are amazing for merely being "good".
But to be fair you are not un-biased when it comes to P/C.
You already stated that you think their FD is over-rated when they won the World Title.
Also most of your posts are just negative statements about skating in general.
Makes me wonder why you bother watching it .......................

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
But to be fair you are not un-biased when it comes to P/C.
You already stated that you think their FD is over-rated when they won the World Title.
Also most of your posts are just negative statements about skating in general.
Makes me wonder why you bother watching it .......................

How does it make me biased to say I think P/C are over-rated? There's no logic in what you're saying. I don't care who was going to win the World title. I watched the performances for myself and found P/C to not be the best of the night and overscored in several areas.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
How does it make me biased to say I think P/C are over-rated? There's no logic in what you're saying. I don't care who was going to win the World title. I watched the performances for myself and found P/C to not be the best of the night and overscored in several areas.
So who did you think was best of the night then ?.
W/P & C/B were both overscored if you think P/C were.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
I think many of the elements and PCS are overscored across the board, for sure. To me W/P were the best that night. It was a more musical performance and skated better. P/C are more interesting to look at but their movement isn't necessarily always with the music, it's just nice by itself. None of the programs were special to me.