2015 NHL Playoffs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 NHL Playoffs

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have come to two conclusions so far:

1. Wow, Max's skating is really really good when you consider that THIS was his background

2. Wow, Max would never have been big and burly enough for this!

Nowadays you still have to be tough but skating has gone up across every pevel of the hockey spectrum so much. But your right....Max could keep up with the best of them. Not sure I'd like to see him scrapping it up with a big ole defenseman though :hopelessness:

Watch Martin St Louis highlights. That's probably what Max would be like.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Check out this dude: Zdeno Chára

Height 6 ft 9 in (206 cm)
Weight 255 lb (116 kg; 18 st 3 lb)

And how about this hit from Chara on Pacioretty? (This is a 'guy taken off the ice by stretcher moment'.) 2.5 million views on YouTube.

:hopelessness: That hit is HORRIFYING. I hope that guy was suspended! Or something! Surely!

He's about as tall as one of my favourite football players; but my favourite memory of that player is seeing him seemingly brought down well short of the tryline, and suddenly this long arm reaches out and all the opposition are like "wait, what?!" :laugh:

But your right....Max could keep up with the best of them. Not sure I'd like to see him scrapping it up with a big ole defenseman though :hopelessness:

Watch Martin St Louis highlights. That's probably what Max would be like.

He's exactly the same height as Max, and yes, looking at some Youtube videos, I think that's exactly what Max would have been like - zippy and nimble. Though Max did admit in one interview that he led the league in penalty minutes at one time because he used to jump at the bigger guys :laugh:

Never a wrong time for teeny weeny Max hockey highlights

Meanwhile, it's 4-3 to the Canucks at the second intermission.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
:hopelessness: That hit is HORRIFYING. I hope that guy was suspended! Or something! Surely!

Nope, the league did not suspend or fine Chara for that hit. In fact, Chara (as the captain of the Boston Bruins) went on to win the Stanley Cup shortly after that!

The Blackhawks have just advanced to Round 2!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Nope, the league did not suspend or fine Chara for that hit. In fact, Chara (as the captain of the Boston Bruins) went on to win the Stanley Cup shortly after that!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Am I missing something here?!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Am I missing something here?!

The hit itself wasn't really that bad... in any other area of the ice, it would be a 2-minute penalty for interference (if that). What made this hit so bad was the turnbuckle of the Bell Centre arena (turnbuckles are different in each ice rink), so the only determining factor of something like a suspension would be 'intent' on whether Chara meant to drive Max into the turnbuckle, which is questionable (and honestly, I can't imagine Chara had intentions to do that).

Hudler just scored for the Flames! Hudler used to play for the Red Wings for years... here's a hit on Hudler during the playoffs while he was with Detroit. (There's a lot of blood in this one.)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The hit itself wasn't really that bad... in any other area of the ice, it would be a 2-minute penalty for interference (if that). What made this hit so bad was the turnbuckle of the Bell Centre arena (turnbuckles are different in each ice rink), so the only determining factor of something like a suspension would be 'intent' on whether Chara meant to drive Max into the turnbuckle, which is questionable (and honestly, I can't imagine Chara had intentions to do that).

Hmm. Maybe this is a cultural thing. In rugby league, a vicious, off-ball high-shot that led to a guy getting stretchered off would lead to a suspension of at least five weeks, if not more, depending on the player. But surely Chara knew where he was on the rink, and how dangerous it would be to hit the other guy in that way there.

Hudler just scored for the Flames! Hudler used to play for the Red Wings for years... here's a hit on Hudler during the playoffs while he was with Detroit. (There's a lot of blood in this one.)

*horrified squeak*

4-4 between Canucks and Flames in the third period.

Dude, keep hold of your stick.

Also, these referees are serious badasses.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The referees are probably the best skaters on the ice :laugh:

This game is so frantic. Vancouver is fighting for their life. I may need to go get drinks for overtime.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The crowd's roar was so huge that the camera starts shaking :laugh:

Judging by the amount of red in the crowd, I'm guessing they're playing in Calgary.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Omg!!! The last minute of a playoff hockey game. Just wow.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Red Wings start in less than an hour in Detroit! I hope they win, otherwise this will be the only series still going after tonight, holding up the start of Round 2 for all the other teams. :slink:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm getting sick of the Chicago Blackhawks!!! It seems a visit from from @Sunnylipnitskaya has been a fortunate event for the city.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I'm getting sick of the Chicago Blackhawks!!! It seems a visit from from @Sunnylipnitskaya has been a fortunate event for the city.

Are the playoffs still going? I stopped watching a week ago. ;)

I was actually in downtown Chicago in 2010 the night they won the Stanley Cup (and I was rooting for Philly)... but I pretended to be a Blackhawks fan and high-five'd random dudes in the streets after the win. Chicago sure has team spirit when their team is doing well! :biggrin:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Come on Caps! Win this game tonight and make it to the Eastern Conference Finals! This is our year to shine and we've been better than ever before!!!

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I do not know who to root for at this point. The Rangers and Habs are about to get bounced... I have liked the Bolts team over the past several years but I cannot throw my support behind an ice hockey team based in Florida with Yzerman as a GM.

Blackhawks FTW, again, I guess.