2015 Nebelhorn Trophy General Chat | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2015 Nebelhorn Trophy General Chat

Alex D

Record Breaker
And I would agree, except that in this case, the problem wasn't with layovers or connections: their first plane had engine trouble and had to return to Salt Lake City. THAT was where Delta lost the bags, which then did not make it to Chicago in time to go with Team Australia to Germany.

In good news, Andrew tweeted a couple of hours ago that Delta had promised their bags would turn up in Munich at 11am today (local time). Let's hope they do!

I ll keep you posted if they show up for their first practice session ;)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I ll keep you posted if they show up for their first practice session ;)

I have ~everything~ crossed right now for them. ;)

On the extra plus side, this has got to be the most attention Australian skating has drawn outside the thread in ages! :laugh:

Alex D

Record Breaker
I have ~everything~ crossed right now for them. ;)

On the extra plus side, this has got to be the most attention Australian skating has drawn outside the thread in ages! :laugh:

Well with Hewitt saying goodbye, the "fanatics" need new heroes now :)

Alex D

Record Breaker
AS always if you have questions let me know. ;)

First 2 ice dance groups were amazing, checking the ladies next.

sequinsgalore

Record Breaker
The result page is up. Starting order for Men SP is listed.

When will the live stream be confirmed, and link posted? I haven't found anything official about it so far...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I appreciate the examples, but I was hoping to catch an airliner in a lie. If these examples are unrelated to this specific case of Delta/Andrew, there's not much I can do with that. :no: Though I do appreciate the mention of other airlines that do create issues for figure skaters.

In any case, what my examples show is the inconsistency among the rules of the TSA vs. United (for example) vs. JetBlue (for example).

So to me, it is no wonder that problems arise and skaters end up being forced to put their skates in checked luggage.

Anyway, I have overcome my laziness, and here are the relevant quotes/links mentioned in my previous post:

From the TSA page that you posted (which has a red triangle calling attention to this sentence; I am adding the bold emphasis below):
The final decision rests with the TSA officer on whether an item is allowed through the checkpoint.
http://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items#8

United accepts ice skates as checked baggage on all flights and in carry-on baggage on flights within the U.S. only.

Ice Skates are on JetBlue's list of Sporting Goods Prohibited in Carry-on Bags:

And I would agree, except that in this case, the problem wasn't with layovers or connections: their first plane had engine trouble and had to return to Salt Lake City. THAT was where Delta lost the bags, which then did not make it to Chicago in time to go with Team Australia to Germany.

In good news, Andrew tweeted a couple of hours ago that Delta had promised their bags would turn up in Munich at 11am today (local time). Let's hope they do!

Fingers crossed that the skates reach the Aussies in time.

Sorry that I garbled how the skates got lost in the first place.
But the point remains that it was not a matter of the skaters carelessly arriving at the airport at the last minute and increasing the risk of a baggage problem. (I am making note for others in this thread. Not for you, of course, karne.)

I see that Andrew's tweeting has included the following comments:
we can't afford to buy 3 new pairs of skates and its way too dangerous for the pair to try & skate in other boots
I might be able to borrow a pair but if not withdraw. Then we have to try and still get them before Slovakia!

It's understandable they're frustrated. But I have to defend airlines a bit it's a massive logistics masterpiece. ... Airlines actually do return most lost items, most of them even really quickly and to your front door. I was returned luggage once on a Sunday at a vacation home in the middle of the forest. So let's just cross our fingers!

As for "quickly:"
The Aussie skaters already have been waiting two days for their luggage to get to Munich.
So their frustration is very, very understandable.​

That said, I have been fortunate to have luggage that was lost during domestic travel returned to me. So my fingers remain crossed.

Last edited:

geranium

Spectator
Hi, Alex D! You said TV Asahi will broadcast in Japan. Do you have any info on
when and what channel? (TV Asahi has more than one channel)
And where did you find this info?

As much as I appreciate TV Asahi showing it on TV, I'm afraid it will be delayed
(no sign so far on their listings for this weekend) and that the official Livestream
would be geoblocked in Japan to protect their rights. Happy and unhappy...

geranium

Spectator
First Information,

tickets:

All Event 55 Euro
Day ticket 15 Euro
Gala 20 Euro

I also have the practice times for all skaters, if you happen to be here already and want them, let me know.

TV coverage:

TV Asahi will broadcast in Japan
BR will also show some skating for those in Germany
For everyone else, a Livestream will be provided. This one will cover everything, from the first skate to the last + Gala.

Schedule:

Minor changes were done, the new one here

http://www.eislauf-union.de/download/NebelhornTrophy_ColouredTimeSchedule20092015.pdf

As much as I appreciate TV Asahi showing it on TV, I'm afraid it will be delayed
(no sign so far on their listings for this weekend) and that the official Livestream

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The result page is up. Starting order for Men SP is listed.

When will the live stream be confirmed, and link posted? I haven't found anything official about it so far...

The official Facebook page of the German fed makes mention that live streaming will be available again this year. This information was posted many weeks ago on the Nebelhorn event page:
Die 47. Nebelhorn-Trophy findet vom 24. bis 26. September 2015 statt und eröffnet die internationale Eiskunstlaufsaison. Auch wieder per Livestream im Internet!
https://www.facebook.com/events/1446324859008114/

But no link yet on Facebook.

Thx for the news re starting orders.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker

Sadly I do not have any additional information, the handout only says that TV Asahi will show something of it. I do assume its like a quick summary only though. :(

As for the Livestream, no link yet. If its really geo blocked (what I doubt though), send me a PM and I can give you a site where you can unblock it. It however requires a bit of "pc technical knowledge" to set it up.

My latest news are that the stream will be online tomorrow, including commentary by a Canadian ;)

Alex D

Record Breaker
So after I saw everyone a small review.

I was very impressed with Kailani Craine. She has such a mesmerizing style, wonderful. She also skates to Romeo and Juliet, which in my opinion is a wonderful music to skate to. She could become what Mariah Bell was last year, the top shooting star at Nebelhorn.

As mentioned, Paris and Matthew were not on the ice, so were also Alena Leonova, Juulia Turkkila and Karoliina Luhtonen. Lutrica Bock pulled out of the comp just recently, not sure about Nathalie Weinzierl.

Mariko Kihara had quite a struggle with her jump elements, but 2A - 3 Toe seemed flawless to me. She seemed to be a bit nervous, question to our friends from Japan, is she "well known" in Japan?

I sadly missed Mirai and Courtney, will check them later though. I was watching Julianne and Charlie and they didn't disappoint me. Interesting was, after they did their FS - they kept talking with their coaches for quite some time, it seemed like every element was analyzed. I really like those two, they match each other so well and so friendly!

Another skater I like a lot is Kaetlyn Osmond and it was wonderful to see that her smile is just as gorgeous as it was before her leg injury. I don't understand why she has such a hard standing in Canada (no offence to anyone). She is so charming and a joy to watch.

Since we also have a dutch guy here, a few words about Niki. First of all, she gets better every year - I love her movements, what she does with her back (very flexible) and the arms, it looks really amazing. Unfortunately she wasn't so lucky with her jumps today. :( Still, I really enjoy her style, very elegant.
She has come really far since I saw her three years ago. Its so fascinating to see a skater grow up, mentally and physically. I really think she can bring a lot to the table if we talk about skating for the heart.

Men I didn't see yet, sorry folks too much going on at the same time here.

As for Ice Dance, the two groups that I saw were amazing. Especially Anastasia and Colin have amazing elements, they are so unique and thought through and in sync with the music. You guys in NA really have amazing dancers, every year! Madison and Evan (no I don't pull the Normal Bates and Madison Schock mistake this time), were flawless as usual, except the Twizzle entry seemed a bit shaky. I love how the whole appearance, character - style and music work together.

The French dancers Lorenza and Pierre were a joy to watch as well. You just see that they love what they do, so important. Also kudos to the Canadians, nice programs. Last but not least, I was very happy to see how the German Pair Minerva Fabienne Hase & Nolan Segert have improved. They made a huge step to last year at Dortmund when they were still new in their formation.

I can highly recommend everyone to tune in tomorrow, I will give you the exact times a bit later. As noted Dailymotion seems to be the choice by the OC, so that is covered too. You can check out some interviews there already, as Gallavich kindly mentioned (thanks a lot my friend!).

That's it for now,

much more to tell, but I don't want to miss the next practice skates, so I will run now.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
New Service for you folks. If you click the link below, then you can hopefully fine the starting times for your timezones.

Ice Dance: 14:00 CET

When?

http://www.timezones.de/time_confer...7865,6173331,1816670/2858964/24.09.2015+14:00

Starting Order:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/csger2015/SEG007.HTM

Pairs: 16:30 CET

When?

http://www.timezones.de/time_confer...7865,6173331,1816670/2858964/24.09.2015+16:30

Starting Order:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/csger2015/SEG005.HTM

Men: 20:00 CET

When?

http://www.timezones.de/time_confer...7865,6173331,1816670/2858964/24.09.2015+20:00

Starting Order:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/csger2015/SEG001.HTM

If your timezone is missing, please let me know and I add it next time!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Cross-posting from the Videos thread:

PRACTICE VIDEOS are being uploaded by The Blade Boys.

For example, Max Aaron SP practice video (47 seconds):

@TheBladeBoys are tweeting links to these videos.
Also available so far: vids of Chock/Bates SD practice and Amodio SP practice.​

Dailymotion channel:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2p78jw_2015-nebelhorn-trophy-oberstdorf-germany_sport

They've posted a couple interviews already.

Igor Shpilband

Paul/Islam

I'm really glad they went with Dailymotion this year!

Many thanks for the links for streaming and interviews, gallavich :).

More dailymotion interviews conducted by Debbi Wilkes (of Canada) that were added after your post (just a list; I have not added hyperlinks):

Michal Brezina 4:39
Peter Liebers 3:17
Franz Streubel 02:27
Julian Yee 03:58
Florent Amodio 03:20
Volosozhar/Trankov 01:53
Scimeca/Knierim 02:17​

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Dailymotion channel:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2p78jw_2015-nebelhorn-trophy-oberstdorf-germany_sport

They've posted a couple interviews already.

Igor Shpilband

Paul/Islam

I'm really glad they went with Dailymotion this year!

Yes, Daily Motion is good in that they usually archive the livestreams. And they are great quality.

BUT, isn't Daily Motion the site that breaks away from the video at regular intervals for advertising videos? So, if you don't want to miss anything, you have to have 2 windows open at the same time, and keep having to switch between them.

When watching on one window, I normally refresh the other window as soon as a routine finishes. I then keep watching on the first window until the time the next skater comes on, by which time the ads on the second window are finished, and I can switch over to watch the next routine on it.

It sounds complicated, but it does work well... assuming you don't forget at any stage!

It's frustrating having to keep doing it, but it's far better than having nothing. So, I'm really grateful that the organisers of this competition are thoughtful enough to put on a livestream.

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Do I need to download something to watch dailymotion? Tried watching the interviews and they are choppy and hang up (but a small video of ski jumping in the corner is smooth). Want to get this figured out before the competition starts. Any help appreciated.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Do I need to download something to watch dailymotion? Tried watching the interviews and they are choppy and hang up (but a small video of ski jumping in the corner is smooth). Want to get this figured out before the competition starts. Any help appreciated.

I don't think you need anything, it worked flawlessly here at the ice rink - I had it running during practice.