2015-2016 Programs by Discipline | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-2016 Programs by Discipline

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
First, it annoys me that skaters will site black swan and never mention Tchaikovsky when they are skating to the black swan soundtrack, because they are (for the most part) using the music that Tchaikovsky actually wrote. I would feel better about it if skaters using the black swan soundtrack sited something like, "Black Swan by Clint Mansell after Swan Lake by Tchaikovsky" which would be long, but give credit where credit is due.

I completely disagreed with the second half of your comment - I love the Black Swan program already - but I just wanted to address this: on Max's ISU bio, Tchaikovsky is mentioned, just as Pavarotti is mentioned for his SP. I merely refer to them as Black Swan and Nessun Dorma for the sake of brevity.

May be clueless of me, but why can't they have a date you have to get your music choices for the next season in by (like dissertation titles) to be cleared? Any two skaters have the same music, the first person gets to keep it and the later skater has to make a new choice. This could be well before actual choreography and training begins.

But how early do you go? We can figure that Max started work on these programs probably in February. That's very, very early. Meanwhile, other skaters might not have even given a thought to next season yet because this one's still going.

I don't think it's a good idea. It doesn't happen a lot that you get so many skaters skating the same music in the same season. Just somehow this season it got really weird, with no logical explanation.

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
So, then someone like Max would be sure to get their pick and others would be looking at a rolling database as they got around to choosing music to see what was already taken. It might get more people thinking outside the usual stuff.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
to be honest it could be Muse epidemic and deifinitely Indian/Middle East themed music...

Please, no more Muse. :disapp: Why are skaters so in love with that band when there are hundreds - nay, thousands - of others out there?

I am ok with Indian/Middle Eastern music as long as it's different pieces...and there is an entire world of both traditional and contemporary music from those regions & many others that hasn't been used before.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Apprently V/T are keeping their sp and lp which were supposed to be for this season.

SP - Nagada Sang Dohl. Indian theme
LP - Dracula and Van Helsing soundtrack

It makes sense since they never got to perform it, Dracula sounds interesting but it could end up cliche, I just hope they are culturally sensitive with the Indian themed SP

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
On being culturally sensitive, one remembers that Aboriginal program of D/S and shudders. :slink:

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Apprently V/T are keeping their sp and lp which were supposed to be for this season.

SP - Nagada Sang Dohl. Indian theme
LP - Dracula and Van Helsing soundtrack

Yay! I love those Bollywood programs (if that's what style this is). It seems to be kind of a dance thing (D/W 2010 OD, A/E 2014 FD) so it'll be interesting to see how it's interpreted in pairs. Also, what their costumes look like...so much potential for tacky, but just as much potential for fabulous. Can't wait to see!

samm22

On the Ice
I completely disagreed with the second half of your comment - I love the Black Swan program already - but I just wanted to address this: on Max's ISU bio, Tchaikovsky is mentioned, just as Pavarotti is mentioned for his SP. I merely refer to them as Black Swan and Nessun Dorma for the sake of brevity.

Thank you for that clarification...I never did see Max's bio. On the Youtube video, which was what I was referring to, it only sited Black Swan though. While I respect your opinion, I humbly agree to disagree on the choreography/interpretation of his long program. As a ballet dancer, I do not see how those movements relate to the story, and I feel that there were better parts of the ballet that could have been used, like mazurka https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7s0Kva4SEw dance. I do gravitate to his short though...the first "vincero" where he pauses and does the sweeping arm motion upward particularly stood out to me.

EDIT: I don't know why it didn't make a quote...first time that's happened.

Last edited by a moderator:

Meoima

Match Penalty
My crystal ball is telling me that we have strong chances to face another epidemic. The question is which song will it be?
I think and hope we are done with POTO for at least 2-5 years.
:unsure: No I need to go to hospital.
Please let it be not Bolero or I might die.

to be honest it could be Muse epidemic and deifinitely Indian/Middle East themed music...
and today I've had a dream that Papadakis/Cizeron done Swan Lake FP...:jaw:
Muse and spider costume? :hopelessness:

And P/C with Swan Lake FD??? No!!!
Please God let them chose DEATH AND THE MAIDEN BY SCHUBERT!! I would die happily!

Last edited:

laire

Rinkside
From this recent icenetwork article we now know Castelli/Tran's LP is to Journey. And they're keeping the SP.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t think classical music suits Aaron, his body type and shape of the head are so wrong... It seems to me that his coach tries to make him something that he isn´t. I would choose him some gangster music like e.g

Luck be a Lady tonight from the musical Guys and Dolls (here performed by Frank Sinatra)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G2f52VyX8E

samm22

On the Ice
It seems to me that his coach tries to make him something that he isn´t. I would choose him some gangster music like e.g

Luck be a Lady tonight from the musical Guys and Dolls (here performed by Frank Sinatra)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G2f52VyX8E

I agree...that is what I was trying to say, but couldn't figure out how to say it. The music in his freeskate looks odd on him, and I think he would be better suited to something like a frank Sinatra gangster song too, as you put it Jaana. I do not mind his short though...

Edit: while I agree with the statement in quotations, I do not agree the statement about Max's head shape not being suited to classical music. If you go to a proffesional ballet company today, you see many different body types, not just one; anyone can skate (or dance) to anything. I do feel that Max's skating style doesn't lend itself well to a Swan lake/black swan (although that is my personal opinion)...but I do not feel that it is the shape of his head/body that doesn't lend itself well to that kind of music.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... shape of the head ... wrong...

Yikes :mad: :rolleye: ... so head shape supposedly can be "right" :eek: or "wrong" :bang: ??? :disagree:

And I guess Baryshnikov's body type was "so wrong" for classical music???

Last edited:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am ok with Indian/Middle Eastern music as long as it's different pieces...and there is an entire world of both traditional and contemporary music from those regions & many others that hasn't been used before.

I agree - Denis Ten proved with his this season's FP that using some regional rhythms/music/themes can be very successful and interesting. Personally, I want more gypsy, balcanic music/themes used, e.g. Goran Bregovic music - it would suit very well for example Elena Radionova, Kaitlyn Weaver/Andrew Poje or Elena and Ruslan...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the concept that someone can have a "wrong" HEAD SHAPE for music might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen posted on GS.

And when I think about all the ridiculous things I've seen on this forum...that's saying a lot.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the concept that someone can have a "wrong" HEAD SHAPE for music might be one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen posted on GS.

And when I think about all the ridiculous things I've seen on this forum...that's saying a lot.

Agree. Like what does head shape have to do with anything is beyond me.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I don´t think classical music suits Aaron, his body type and shape of the head are so wrong...

Absolutely not, he looked just great from head to toes for all kinds of music:

http://www.biography.com/people/mikhail-baryshnikov-9201142

Then the inconsistency of your two posts is maddening to me.

Baryshnikov was short (slightly shorter than Max) and muscular, with powerful thighs.
Same body type as Max's.

Per your second post: Baryshnikov -- again, whose body type was the same as Max's -- "looked just great from head to toes for all kinds of music."

But per your first post: "I don´t think classical music suits Aaron, his body type ..."

I agree that Baryshnikov looked great for all kinds of music.
So your post re Max seems both illogical and unfair, IMO.

Last edited: