2015 Freezer Aerial FS Challenge, Jun25-26, new $30K jump comp | Golden Skate

2015 Freezer Aerial FS Challenge, Jun25-26, new $30K jump comp

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Qualifying Event is scheduled to be held on June 25, 2015 beginning at 8:00 p.m.

The Final Event is scheduled to be held on June 26, 2015 beginning at 4:40 p.m. Mountain Time.

No live streaming.
Excerpt from Jun 23 Facebook post (emphases added):
... Unlike previous years, we will not live stream the Broadmoor Open and have decided not to live stream the Aerial Challenge as well. This decision was made after much deliberation. In the end, we believe that it is in the best interest of this exciting new event to showcase the results in an edited highlight package following the competition that will appear on icenetwork.com. With a new format, the testing of a new scoring system and the venue’s inconsistent internet connectivity, we feel it’s best to deliver a more fully produced presentation to help create even more interest in what we hope will become a fan-favorite event in the future! Stay tuned for more details and links to the highlight video when it becomes available. ...
https://www.facebook.com/FreezerAerialChallenge/posts/414992768703161

Icenetwork will provide FREE on-demand video, photos and news from the Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge, which is set for Friday at the Colorado Springs World Arena.

FIGURE SKATERS WILL COMPETE FOR $30,000 PRIZE MONEY IN JUMPING EVENT

Olympians Flatt, Weiss Will Help Judge Inaugural Competition at 2015 Broadmoor Open

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colorado (April 12, 2015) – The inaugural Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge, a jumping contest featuring U.S. international competitors, will make its debut at the 2015 Broadmoor Open, June 25-26, at The Broadmoor World Arena in Colorado Springs. This groundbreaking event will feature $30,000 in prize money. ....

The event is sanctioned by U.S. Figure Skating and made possible by patrons Freezer Integration Consulting, Skate Great Enterprises, CoachTomZ.com, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, The Broadmoor Skating Club, Grassroots to Champions Inc., Brian Boitano, Michael Weiss, Champion Cords and Champion Harnesses, and iCoachSkating.com.​
[ETA: MK Blades has been added as a sponsor.]​

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=735023206596403&id=424453407653386 (more details at this link)
Same release is here: http://www.broadmoorskatingclub.com/News.html

And a lengthy explanation in full of the new event is in the announcement for The Broadmoor Open. Mini-excerpt:

Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge

Primary Goals:
1. To inject the sport of figure skating with an event that appeals to the current millennial generation in the spirit of the X Games and Dancing With The Stars formats.
2. To provide technical developmental opportunities to elite Team USA athletes where they can compete high risk elements in low key competitive events and gain experience before trying these elements in the Grand Prix events and other high level competitions.
3. To provide additional funding opportunities for Team USA athletes with substantial prize money.

http://www.broadmoorskatingclub.com...rd Nonqualifying Competition Announcement.pdf (pp. 17-20)​

ETA, two-page press release announcing the ENTRIES (thanks to karne):
The names subsequently were added to the BSC event page, and Doris has pasted them at the bottom of this OP.​

ETA:
Twitter account: @AerialChallenge
Old Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1710436932517297/
New Facebook page as of Jun 16: https://www.facebook.com/FreezerAerialChallenge

ETA, from the Broadmoor Open event page:
Aerial Event Clarifications
http://www.broadmoorskatingclub.com/AerialProtocol.pdf (four pages)​

ETA, IceNetwork will have live blog coverage [caveat: information seems to have become out of date]

Entries listed in the Announcement

Participants who have registered to compete in the event include Team USA skaters:

Max Aaron: 2014 U.S. bronze medalist; 2013 U.S. champion;
Mariah Bell, 2011 U.S. junior champion, 2013 U.S. junior silver medalist; 2011 U.S. novice bronze medalist
Jason Brown: 2015 U.S. champion; 2014 Olympic bronze medalist (Team); 2014 U.S. silver medalist
Emily Chan: 2015 U.S. novice champion
Karen Chen: 2014 U.S. bronze medalist; 2012 U.S. novice champion
Nathan Chen: 2014 World Junior bronze medalist; 2012, 2014 U.S. junior champion
Richard Dornbush; 2011 U.S. silver medalist; 2010 Junior Grand Prix Final champion
Polina Edmunds: 2015 Four Continents champion; 2014 Olympian;
Amber Glenn: 2014 U.S. silver medalist, 2014 U.S. junior champion; 2012 U.S. novice silver medalist
Courtney Hicks: 2013 U.S. pewter medalist; 2011 U.S. junior champion
Jordan Moeller: 2014 U.S. junior silver medalist; 2011 U.S. novice silver medalist
Mirai Nagasu: 2014 U.S. bronze medalist; 2008 U.S. champion; 2010 Olympian
TJ Nyman: 2015 US intermediate champion
Bradie Tennell: 2015 U.S. junior champion

Additional Team USA members competing include National Junior medalists:
Aleksei Krasnozhon
Vivan Le
Olivia Serafini

Over 30 skaters from across the United States and around the world will also compete in the qualifying round:

Liam Firus, 2014 Canadian national bronze medalist
Brendan Kerry, 2012 Australian national champion
Alexander Zahradnicek France
Selena Zhao, 2015 Canadian junior champion

ETA: The four international skaters listed above do not appear in the updated press release published on Jun 18.

U.S. skaters:
Chase Belmontes
Anna Grace Davidson
Tessa Hong (2014 U.S. intermediate champion)
Anastasia Kortjohn
Jimmy Ma
Kaitlyn Nguyen
Paige Rydberg
Ashley Shin
Eric Stinehart
Philip Warren
Luke West​

Amongst these and other participants, Broadmoor Open figure skating competitors can earn the right to compete in the Aerial Figure Skating Challenge by placing in the top three at the Senior level or winning the Junior level. This preceding competition will take place on June 25th.

Last edited:

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
Sounds fun :p

But its limited to US althetes only? Booooo :disagree:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
@amyrosewater tweeted four times today about the new jump challenge. The final tweet was:
Been told that a "world team member" has signed up to compete in new skating event at Broadmoor Open. Cannot confirm who but any guesses?
11:01 AM - 20 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/amyrosewater/status/590213774805770240

Both men and ladies will compete, but Josh and Jason are local, so ??
Max went to WTT, but don't know whether he would be considered a world team member?

Sounds fun :p

But its limited to US althetes only? Booooo :disagree:

Good question. Skate Canada has been known to have skaters compete at the Broadmoor Open, I believe. And individual skaters from other countries also have entered??

But not clear to me whether this sub-event with big prize money has more restrictive rules.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
@amyrosewater tweeted four times today about the new jump challenge. The final tweet was:
Been told that a "world team member" has signed up to compete in new skating event at Broadmoor Open. Cannot confirm who but any guesses?
11:01 AM - 20 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/amyrosewater/status/590213774805770240

Both men and ladies will compete, but Josh and Jason are local, so ??
Max went to WTT, but don't know whether he would be considered a world team member?

I bet it's Jason! He won the jumps contest last year at Broadmoor.....:)

ETA: Noticing that among the sponsors, mostly skating related, is Red Robin!

For those who do not know, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers is a nationwide chain of burger restaurants and is publicly traded on NASDAQ in the U.S. They're based in Denver, so not far from the Broadmoor. That could explain why the prize money is so good. A very atypical sponsor for USFSA/Broadmoor/skating in general.

However, given the name of the event, the title sponsor must be Freezer Integration Consulting, a Denver-based company a project/design/design engineering firm for the gas and oil industry. They've done a lot of projects in North Dakota, which many of you know has really hit it big as far as gas and oil goes.....

Sorry to get nerdy on everyone --but I find it fascinating to see some non-skating sponsors for the event!

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I bet it's Jason! He won the jumps contest last year at Broadmoor.....:)

:cool:

Excerpts from the announcement re the last two rounds (of four):

Championship round
Men
... Skaters will perform one jump from each of the following categories:
Triple Axel combination
Quadruple of choice
Quadruple – triple combination or triple – triple combination (lutz, flip or axel only if triple – triple)
No duplication of jumps.​

Bonus Round
Men
Skaters will perform two quadruple jumps of choice back to back, using the full ice surface. One of the jump passes may be done in combination.​

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:cool:

Excerpts from the announcement re the last two rounds (of four):

Championship round
Men
... Skaters will perform one jump from each of the following categories:
Triple Axel combination
Quadruple of choice
Quadruple – triple combination or triple – triple combination (lutz, flip or axel only if triple – triple)
No duplication of jumps.​

Bonus Round
Men
Skaters will perform two quadruple jumps of choice back to back, using the full ice surface. One of the jump passes may be done in combination.​

LOL, lots of quads! Well I guess that's a good time as any for Jason to introduce a quad. :laugh:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm laughing as I look more closely at the rules (the mini-section copied below) -- as I recall the mention quoted above of the X Games.

(Emphasis added below)

A mix of celebrity judges (former US Champions) and ISU judges will assess a Grade of Execution (GOE) for each jump performed based on a scale of 1-10 with software developed by George Rossano.
0 Not attempted
1 Popping error of some kind
2 -3
3 -2
4 -1
5 0
6 +1
7 +2
8 +3
9 Awesome
10 Perfect​
The skater will receive a technical element score (TES) based on the current ISU Scale of Values (SOV) and GOE points awarded by the judges. This will be transparent to the audience and displayed on the jumbotron immediately following the jump.

... ETA: Noticing that among the sponsors, mostly skating related, is Red Robin!

For those who do not know, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers is a nationwide chain of burger restaurants and is publicly traded on NASDAQ in the U.S. They're based in Denver, so not far from the Broadmoor. That could explain why the prize money is so good. A very atypical sponsor for USFSA/Broadmoor/skating in general.

However, given the name of the event, the title sponsor must be Freezer Integration Consulting, a Denver-based company a project/design/design engineering firm for the gas and oil industry. They've done a lot of projects in North Dakota, which many of you know has really hit it big as far as gas and oil goes.....

Sorry to get nerdy on everyone --but I find it fascinating to see some non-skating sponsors for the event!

Not nerdy at all, Mrs. P. Or maybe I'm just a fellow nerd ;). Anyway, thanks for the insight :).
Sponsor stuff is an interesting side of the sport, IMO.

Wild speculation, but ...
Freezer happens to be the last name of one of Tom Z's young skaters. (I remember a sweet photo when she was very sad to say goodbye to her coach Rachael Flatt, who was returning to Stanford after summer at home in Colorado Springs.) Although my imagination has had me envisioning that the young girl's family has ties to the consulting firm that is the title sponsor, the name thing could be just a meaningless coincidence.

Last edited:

samm22

On the Ice
Could Mirai be at this event, because she competed at the Broadmoor open last year, and Tom Z seems to be patronizing the event...

EDIT: also, wasn't Mirai working on a triple axel at some point before nats, and said she was going to work on it during the summer...I wonder if she will attempt one here

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Long IceNetwork article on the new comp:

Broadmoor Open jump event getting makeover
Inaugural Aerial Challenge to showcase sport's toughest jumps

Posted 4/21/15
by Sarah S. Brannen and Drew Meekins, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/04/21/119606376

Could Mirai be at this event, because she competed at the Broadmoor open last year, and Tom Z seems to be patronizing the event...

EDIT: also, wasn't Mirai working on a triple axel at some point before nats, and said she was going to work on it during the summer...I wonder if she will attempt one here

I agree with your hunch that Mirai will enter :).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Boitano is auctioning off a dinner that he will cook himself.

Ok WHERE CAN I FIND THIS AUCTION!!!!!

I assume you will be agreeable to a finder's fee of one invitation to the dinner ;) ...

but I don't know the answer to your question. I'll keep an eye out.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I assume you will be agreeable to a finder's fee of one invitation to the dinner ;) ...

but I don't know the answer to your question. I'll keep an eye out.

How about a report on his cookware brands? I think that is fair, and an inside view, and not an betrayal of privacy.

I am thinking of pitching it as a substitute for family holiday dinner. We have been known to have Thanksgiving in October. . . seems having it whenever for Brian is not that far off.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
How about a report on his cookware brands? I think that is fair, and an inside view, and not an betrayal of privacy.

I am thinking of pitching it as a substitute for family holiday dinner. We have been known to have Thanksgiving in October. . . seems having it whenever for Brian is not that far off.

I hope you know that I was only teasing you, Stitch ;) :laugh:.

Btwn Tom Z (who is a good marketer) and Boitano himself (whom I love and who is a good marketer too), I expect that the auction will be quite well-publicized whenever they are ready.

If I see any information, it would be my pleasure to pass it along (no strings attached!).

And I think the family holiday dinner idea is ingenious :yes:.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... ETA: Noticing that among the sponsors, mostly skating related, is Red Robin!

For those who do not know, Red Robin Gourmet Burgers is a nationwide chain of burger restaurants and is publicly traded on NASDAQ in the U.S. They're based in Denver, so not far from the Broadmoor. That could explain why the prize money is so good. A very atypical sponsor for USFSA/Broadmoor/skating in general. ....

And now this tweet:
@CoachTomZ
So excited to practice goal setting with @redrobinburgers and the associates at Yummm U! #teamworkmakesthedreamwork
7:19 AM - 24 Apr 2015
https://twitter.com/CoachTomZ/status/591607416329895936

So I guess someone at Red Robin is happy to cultivate a professional relationship with TZ. Wonder if more will come of it :popcorn: -- beyond sponsoring the jump comp.

ETA:

TZ vid of his motivational speaking at Red Robin:

Another TZ FB post with a lot of rules for the jump comp (I have not checked whether they include anything not found in the announcement):

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Stitch, I hope you see this post, in case you are interested:

Tom Z's Instagram says that a demo will take place on Friday for this summer's upgraded Broadmoor jump comp. A previous demo already was held this past Friday. (Caveats: I don't know whether these demos are open to the public, but I think TZ's Instagram implies that they are?? And I have no idea which skaters are taking part in the demos.)

I can't make out the face of the demo skater in the mini-video at the links above.
I think the camera caught a glimpse of Kori Ade as an observer near the end.​

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Tuktamysheva and other Team Mishin skaters took part in the demo event today for the new jump comp -- per TZ's Facebook post:

Listen to what our celebrity coaches/judges have to say about the latest demo of the Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge. Come join us at the Broadmoor Open for this inaugural event. A special thank you to professor Alexey Mishin and his amazing students who jumped with us today: 2015 World Ladies Champion Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Liza Nugumanova, Alexander Petrov, Andrey Lazukin, Peter Gumennik and Evgeny Semenenko. They are all 10's in my book!
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=743211812444209 (May 8)

The 31-second video is of judges Kathy Casey, Janet Champion, Prof. Mishin, and Dalilah Sappenfield -- not of any jumping.​

Dalilah's photo of the judges with TZ:

ETA, from the Tukt thread:
From Tom Zakrajsek's IG:
https://instagram.com/p/2chnZLjY0p/
"Guess who joined us today in the demo of the Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge? We are honored! @liza_tuktik you are a perfect 10!"

The Instagram is a mini-vid of Tukt on the ice, but it does not show her jumping.​

Last edited:

sk8gr8peak

Spectator
Any member of ISU member federations can qualify to participate by entering into Broadmoor Open jump event either at Senior/Junior levels.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Freezer Aerial Challenge Jump Competition - Entries Announced!

The new format for the jumps competition at the Broadmoor Open has generated a fair bit of buzz (I thought we had a thread, but I can't find it!).

This press release was put out today confirming the entrants!

Team USA entrants:

- Max Aaron
- Mariah Bell
- Jason Brown
- Emily Chan
- Karen Chen
- Nathan Chen
- Richard Dornbush
- Polina Edmunds
- Amber Glenn
- Courtney Hicks
- Jordan Moeller
- Mirai Nagasu
- TJ Nyman
- Bradie Tennell

Non Team USA skaters
- Liam Firius
- Brendan Kerry :yay:
- Alexander Zaharadricek (sp?)
- Selena Zhao
- Chase Belmontes
- Anna Grace Davidson
- Tessa Hong
- Anastasia Kortjohn (sp?)
- Jimmy Ma
- Kaitlyn Nguyen
- Paige Rydberg
- Ashley Shin
- Eric Stinehart
- Phillip Warren
- Luke West

(apologies to anyone's names I've misspelt - had trouble reading the pictures of the press release posted on twitter)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The new format for the jumps competition at the Broadmoor Open has generated a fair bit of buzz (I thought we had a thread, but I can't find it!).

This press release was put out today confirming the entrants!

... Non Team USA skaters
- Liam Firius
- Brendan Kerry :yay:
- Alexander Zaharadricek (sp?)
- Selena Zhao
- Chase Belmontes
- Anna Grace Davidson
- Tessa Hong
- Anastasia Kortjohn (sp?)
- Jimmy Ma
- Kaitlyn Nguyen
- Paige Rydberg
- Ashley Shin
- Eric Stinehart
- Phillip Warren
- Luke West

(apologies to anyone's names I've misspelt - had trouble reading the pictures of the press release posted on twitter)

Many thanks, karne :).

The other Aerial Challenge thread is in the summer competitions subforum:

Thanks for typing out the many names from the Twitter photos, which my eyes find all but impossible to read. (BTW, Liam's last name is Firus, with one I.)

To clarify re the second group:
The second group has names of those who will compete in the qualifying event for the Aerial Challenge.
(The second group includes both Team USA skaters and non-U.S. skaters.)

ETA:

More Team USA skaters from the bottom of the first photo (they seem to belong to the first group, who do not need to qualify?):
- Alexei Kraznozhon
- Vivian Le
- Olivia Serafini​

Re qualifying:
The 2015 Broadmoor Open Junior and Senior Jump Events will serve as an open qualifying round for those skaters who are not in the US International Selection Pool on Thursday, June 25. The top-three senior men and ladies and the first place junior man and lady will advance to the second day of competition (Friday, June 26) to compete against U.S. international competitors.
https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=735023206596403&id=424453407653386

BTW, MK Blades has been added as a sponsor:

Last edited: