2015 Freezer Aerial FS Challenge, Jun25-26, new $30K jump comp | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 Freezer Aerial FS Challenge, Jun25-26, new $30K jump comp

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The new format for the jumps competition at the Broadmoor Open has generated a fair bit of buzz (I thought we had a thread, but I can't find it!).

This press release was put out today confirming the entrants! ...

(apologies to anyone's names I've misspelt - had trouble reading the pictures of the press release posted on twitter)

TZ's Facebook page now has Page 1 of the press release. It's easier to read there (but I don't see Page 2 [yet?] on FB):

eta, TZ has tweeted a more legible version of Page 2 of the press release:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Alexei Krasnozhon posted a few days ago that he is working on a quad loop...hope he tries it out here :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Wow, the men's championship round is really harsh.

3A combination
Quadruple of choice
Quadruple + triple or triple + triple of choice

Of course, one would expect a heavy emphasis on the technical given Tom Z is one of the organisers, but phew. Reckon Max is the early favourite for this one.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Rohene should enter...

Jason hasn't a chance this year.

I wonder who will win this?

Back Flip Event

Skaters will perform one Back Flip from each of the following categories:

Back Flip
Back Flip Variation*

• A Back Flip Variation is defined in broad terms as any addition to the Back Flip such as but not limited to a half-twist, landing on one foot or combining it with any element from the ISU Scale of Values. The Variation may precede the Back Flip, occur in the air or be accomplished after the Back Flip is completed provided that there is some type of connection and rhythm to its execution

Surya Bonaly for the win, if she enters ;)

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Inside Skating story on the Challenge

No new info, mostly taken from the press release.

I do have one bugbear though: why do they keep referring to Brendan as the 2012 Australian Champion? He's the current Australian Champion!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Inside Skating story on the Challenge

No new info, mostly taken from the press release.

I do have one bugbear though: why do they keep referring to Brendan as the 2012 Australian Champion? He's the current Australian Champion!

Because 2012 Australian Champion is what that press release from Nikki Frick says :bang:.

Her e-mail address is in the release, so wouldn't hurt to bring her up to date.
Esp. if Brendan places at/near the top in one of the the events, it would be a shame for her to keep perpetuating the old championship as his only claim to fame.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
new articles

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/04/21/119606376

with a specific sentence i am interested in.

Boitano is auctioning off a dinner that he will cook himself.

Ok WHERE CAN I FIND THIS AUCTION!!!!!

STITCH, the information about the Aerial Challenge auction has been posted on TZ's Facebook page :):

$15,000 is the minimum bid for the Brian Boitano dinner (for ten).

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Updated press release with attending skaters:

At first glance, the difference I see is that the following sentence re international skaters has been deleted from the original press release:
The contingent of international skaters includes 2014 Olympians Liam Firus, 2014 Canadian national bronze medalist, and Brendan Kerry, 2012 Australian national champion as well as French skater Alexander Zahradnicek and Selena Zhao, 2015 Canadian junior champion.

BTW, nothing about streaming is in the updated press release.

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
STITCH, the information about the Aerial Challenge auction has been posted on TZ's Facebook page :):

$15,000 is the minimum bid for the Brian Boitano dinner (for ten).

I did see that. I might still put out some feelers. Though the family member has offered to get me a hotel room in the springs so I might be making it after all *fingers crossed*

Updated press release with attending skaters:

At first glance, I see that international skaters such as Liam Firus and Brendan Kerry (sorry, karne) have disappeared.

That makes me rather said.

Also sad no Joshua Farris, or Tyler Pierce or Chase Belmontes. . . but on the plus side there are an amazing number of skaters there!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think the purpose of the press release was to update the US entries? I can't imagine that they suddenly decided nope, no internationals.

Or maybe they thought Brendan might be a threat to the Team USA skaters ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think the purpose of the press release was to update the US entries? I can't imagine that they suddenly decided nope, no internationals.

Or maybe they thought Brendan might be a threat to the Team USA skaters ;)

Except that before my post above about the updated press release, I had quickly cross-checked the two versions, and the Team USA listings looked 100% unchanged to me.

Can you see any differences in the Team USA listings?? Not impossible that I missed something.

Nothing but wild speculation on my part, but the thought that had crossed my mind is that maybe one of the sponsors did not like the idea of an international skater potentially winning some of the prize money??? Again, only my wild speculation.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Except that before my post above about the updated press release, I had quickly cross-checked the two versions, and the Team USA listings looked 100% unchanged to me.

Can you see any differences in the Team USA listings?? Not impossible that I missed something.

Nothing but wild speculation on my part, but the thought that had crossed my mind is that maybe one of the sponsors did not like the idea of an international skater potentially winning some of the prize money??? Again, only my wild speculation.

Oh, I hope not. I would be so sad if Brendan could not skate.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Freezer IceChallenge ‏@AerialChallenge
There will NOT be video streaming of our event. However, stay in tune to @icenetwork for live blog coverage and a video recap following!
5:33 PM - 19 Jun 2015
https://twitter.com/AerialChallenge/status/612055737892671488

ETA:

From the Jason Brown fan thread:
Jason's interview re: the Freezer Aerial Challenge

(Thanks to JasonBrownFanPage on twitter for posting the link)
The World Arena will host some of the best skaters in the world as they compete in a jump only competition.
This local TV interview was published on Jun 22. 1:46 in length.​

Tom Zakrajsek ‏@CoachTomZ
Welcome Paralympic Bronze Medalist @GabelKeith to the back flip judging panel of @AerialChallenge . @USFigureSkating @TeamUSA @icenetwork
8:03 PM - 22 Jun 2015
https://twitter.com/CoachTomZ/status/613180445765734404

Defying gravity: new jumping contest to inject „a modern edge of daredevil athleticism” to the sport of figure skating

Announcement re Thu Jun 22 meet and greet:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Money, bragging rights on line at aerial challenge
Broadmoor jump competition brings back memories for Meissner, Flatt

Posted 6/23/15 by Amy Rosewater
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/06/23/132376812

Max and Kori look forward to the friendly rivalry and camaraderie of the event.

Max says he might try a quad loop.
BTW, a nice photo of Max mid-jump during an exhibition accompanies the article.

Quotes from judges Kimmie and Rachael too.

Excerpt:

Kori Ade, who coaches Brown, Moeller, Bell and Pierce, is looking forward to the competition, likening it to a free-throw contest.

"I'm excited because this is about executing jumps and demonstrating consistency," Ade said. "It's a tough time in the season to show that, but I think it's exciting and fun, and it's also about the camaraderie.

"This is a tangible thing for skaters. There's empathy among the skaters. There's no gray area in this type of event, like maybe the scores were different because of artistry. If you land a jump, you land it. If you fall, you fall.

"They're going into this as a new, cool opportunity, and I think they're thinking, 'How can we contribute more positive energy into the sport?'"

Last edited:

charmblade

Final Flight
And of course no mention of how anyone is supposed to watch this. And it's an IN article, so it would have been a perfect opportunity for them to say "See it live right here on Ice Network!" It is so beyond stupid that no one is going to be able to see this competition that they are hyping up so much.