What are you listening to right now? | Page 109 | Golden Skate

What are you listening to right now?

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
After a good run without any music deaths to report, I am afraid that this is the second day in a row that I have come in here to break bad news.

Country singer / fiddler Charlie Daniels has died at the age of 83.

I admit that I am not really a fan of country music. So, when I read the headline, although the name sounded vaguely familiar, I couldn't place who he was. But I realised who he was as soon as the the story mentioned his most famous song. So, here it is:

Charlie Daniels - "The Devil Went Down To Georgia"

My thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

:cry:

Ducky

On the Ice
:cry: What a brilliant composer! RIP, Ennio Morricone.

I'm sorry but the Washington Post headline for his obit -- and it was actually the headline for a bit, I checked -- of "Ennio Morricone, Italian composer who wrote ‘ah-ee-ah-ee-ah’ theme of ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,’ dies at 91" is brilliant and if you don't immediately fill in the "wha-wha-wha' part I feel bad for you.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I'm sorry but the Washington Post headline for his obit -- and it was actually the headline for a bit, I checked -- of "Ennio Morricone, Italian composer who wrote ‘ah-ee-ah-ee-ah’ theme of ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,’ dies at 91" is brilliant and if you don't immediately fill in the "wha-wha-wha' part I feel bad for you.

wha-wha-whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Read a story this morning about the BBC's new initiative for pre-school children, called "Tiny Happy People". And ever since, I have not been able to get the following song out of my head:

R.E.M. - "Shiny Happy People"

Always loved that song, so I'm not complaining! ;) :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

But of course!

They're playing a different film composer on the radio right now - Williams and the equally iconic Raiders march :dance: and I was wondering if anyone ever skated to some of the Indiana theme music? There's a lot of variation in the OSTs as a whole, it's glorious fun and I could see some of the younger Americans, male or female, having an absolute ball dressing up as Indy and ripping through it.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
But of course!

They're playing a different film composer on the radio right now - Williams and the equally iconic Raiders march :dance: and I was wondering if anyone ever skated to some of the Indiana theme music? There's a lot of variation in the OSTs as a whole, it's glorious fun and I could see some of the younger Americans, male or female, having an absolute ball dressing up as Indy and ripping through it.

I propose Keegan Messing to do an Indiana Jones routine. After all, he already has the hat... :p

...and so do I!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I am feeling all peased with myself.

Over tea-time, I watched an episode of the quiz show "Pointless" (it was actually broadcast a couple of weeks ago, but I only watched it today). And in the final round, one of the questions that they were looking answers for was:

"Acts that had a UK #1 single in the year 1960".

As I watched a Petula Clark film last night, "Don't Ever Leave Me" (1949), she was the first singer from that era that I thought of. Then I remembered that Anthony Newley was also in that film. In fact, he was in the film I taped this afternoon as well, "Jazz Boat" (1960). So, I decided to go with him as my answer.

ANTHONY NEWLEY WAS A POINTLESS ANSWER!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

If I had been on the show, he would have won me £2,000! :biggrin: But, I wasn't. :palmf: :bang:

I just looked him up, and found he actually had two UK #1 singles in 1960. So, here they are:

Anthony Newley - "Why"
Anthony Newley - "Do You Mind?"

The first song is a cover of an Frankie Avalon song that was released a couple of months earlier.

The second song is from a film I haven't seen yet, "Let's Get Married" (1960). So, I'll have to keep an eye out for it! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Vera Lynn

Shortly into the lockdown, I spotted that one of the classic movie channels that I was becoming addicted to was showing the 1943 film that was written around her signature song.

After this, I went onto her Wikipedia page, and was shocked to find out that she had only actually made 3 films, all of which were made during the war. It is such a shame that she did not go on to have a prolific film career, because she was such a good actress.

Since then, I have also watched her second film, "Rhythm Serenade" (1943). And she was great in it too. So, now I am hoping that her third film, "One Exciting Night", gets shown soon.

Just letting you know that the third and final film that starred Vera Lynn was shown this afternoon. Mind you, I nearly didn't spot it, because it was listed in the schedules under it's alternative title, "You Can't Do Without Love".

Both titles are actually taken from songs in the film. So, here are the two title songs:

Vera Lynn - "One Exciting Night"
Vera Lynn - "You Can't Do Without Love"

Here is what the channel showing it said about the film in their Facebook post yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/TalkingPic...9SMZAxKfopR8Qx1cSNLY0mIi-eoYIaxdP9w&__tn__=-R

I've just finished watching it, and I agree. It was her best film. And it reinforced my opinion that it was a shame that she only made three.

At the start and end of the film, Talking Pictures TV displayed a tribute plate consisting of a picture of her in her heyday, along with the date of her birth and the date of her death. I thought that was a nice touch.

Her funeral was on Friday, and there was a flypast of two Spitfires. Here is a clip of the live coverage that Sky News showed of the flypast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFpPN8xVAQw

A fine send off for the nation's sweetheart

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I propose Keegan Messing to do an Indiana Jones routine. After all, he already has the hat... :p

...and so do I!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

Keegan or Camden strike my fancy (Camden is so goodlooking; Indy cosplay online does show that the iconic outfit is flattering as well so eye candy ahoy!!!)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Went into my news feed on Facebook for the first time in about 2 months this morning, and saw an advert for a new single by a singer I had never heard tell of. She was clearly a goth, and I was intrigued by her. Partly because I tend to have a soft spot for goths, but also because she reminds me of one of my neighbour's granddaughters (who, I should add, is not a goth, and does not have blue hair!) So, I did a bit of digging, and found out that she is a piano teacher from Bristol! :shocked:

Anyway, I found her YouTube channel, and started listening to her songs. There were three of her own songs, which were good, and an accoustic version of Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game", which was lovely. But, it is the other accoustic cover she posted that I am going to share:

Melodi - "Sil Baştan"

Although I don't speak Turkish, and so didn't understand what she was singing about, I was getting emotional listening to this song. It was just beautiful. And when I looked up a translation of the lyrics, they did have a lot of meaning to them.

That said, when I subsequently listened to the original by Şebnem Ferah, it didn't have the same effect on me.

Incidentally, I liked her new single ("Twilight Sleep"), but decided not to link to it as the video would probably be in poor taste given recent events.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From another thread -ideas for new programs, I just listened to the music from Gattaca, that Blades of Passion posted. Thanks, BOP! :agree: :luv17: :hap10:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Not the news you want to wake up to on a Sunday morning. Peter Green has died at the age of 73.

The original guitarist and lead vocalist of Fleetwood Mac. He was also their main songwriter, and wrote two of their most iconic songs, "Albatross" and "Black Magic Woman".

But, as my tribute to him, I want to use a song that is a bit less well known, but which really shows off his talent:

Fleetwood Mac - "Oh Well"

And here are a couple of songs he wrote in his pre-Fleetwood Mac days, when he was the lead guitarist in John Mayall's band (John McVie was the bassist):

John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers - "The Same Way"
John Mayall And The Bluesbreakers - The Super-Natural

But, the best tribute to him actually comes from my fellow Ulsterman Gary Moore, who recorded a whole album of Peter Green songs back in 1995. Here is the playlist:

Gary Moore - "Blues For Greeny"

Just shows how much of a music legend Peter Green was.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Last Wednesday I watched a film. And ever since I have not been able to get the theme tune out of my head!!!

Juliet Mills & Michael Redgrave - "No, My Darling Daughter"

I couldn't find a copy of the opening titles on YouTube, so the link is actually to a copy of the whole film! :p

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
^ I loved Danny Kaye in "Hans Christian Andersen!"

Just in case you are wondering, I watched another couple of Danny Kaye films in the past week. Last Thursday was "On the Double" (1961), and yesterday was "The Five Pennies" (1959). Both were really good. And it was something different to see him in more serious roles.

But, I just had to share this little gem that was in "The Five Pennies":

Louis Armstrong & Danny Kaye - "When The Saints Go Marching In"

Or, how many composers can you name while singing a hymn?

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just heard that Trini Lopez died on Tuesday of complications from COVID-19 at the age of 83.

Although he did not write it himself (he was only 2 when the original version was released!), there was no question over which song to post here as my tribute. Here is his version of what was probably my favourite song when I was a youngster:

Trini Lopez - "You Are My Sunshine"

Also, because all the motorsports series I follow had rounds last weeekend, I missed out on the news that Wayne Fontana died from cancer last Thursday at the age of 74.

So, here he is singing the song that I know him best for:

The Mindbenders - "The Game Of Love"

Although it is a week late, my thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just heard that Trini Lopez died on Tuesday of complications from COVID-19 at the age of 83.

Although he did not write it himself (he was only 2 when the original version was released!), there was no question over which song to post here as my tribute. This was probably my favourite song when I was a youngster:

Trini Lopez - "You Are My Sunshine"

Also, because all the motorsports series I follow had rounds last weeekend, I missed out on the news that Wayne Fontana died from cancer last Thursday at the age of 74.

So, here he is singing the song that I know him best for:

The Mindbenders - "The Game Of Love"

Although it is a week late, my thoughts are with his family, friends, and fans.

CaroLiza_fan

Aw ... that is so sad for both of their families, friends, & fans. :cry: May they both rest in peace. :pray: