Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO | Golden Skate

Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO

noskates

Record Breaker
I'd rather see Mirai working on her jump technique - consistency, no URs, etc. than trying a difficult jump. Get the basics back before moving on. I can't imagine Mishin NOT being a help to her.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I am wondering how long Team Mishin is going to spend in Colorado Springs? AFAIR, Liza and the rest of his students were having chronic problems getting enough ice time in St. Petersburg.

But this could be a two way street. I'd love to see Liza have at least one program choreographed by Rohene, who is, after all, only an hour away at Centennial....
As is Jason.
And I really really want Jason to take quad and 3A lessons with Professor Mishin!

This is all good!!!

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Alexei Nikolayevich is so small!! lol I never noticed he was that short! (or Mirai is tall but i doubt it)

adelia

Record Breaker
I am wondering how long Team Mishin is going to spend in Colorado Springs? AFAIR, Liza and the rest of his students were having chronic problems getting enough ice time in St. Petersburg.

But this could be a two way street. I'd love to see Liza have at least one program choreographed by Rohene, who is, after all, only an hour away at Centennial....
As is Jason.
And I really really want Jason to take quad and 3A lessons with Professor Mishin!

This is all good!!!
They are spending about a week in Colorado. They arrived on the 2nd.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had seen a picture on Mirai's Instagram of her with Liza saying she was inspired by her. Glad she and Mishin are in CO to help Mirai bring her skating to where she wants it to be.

I also like seeing this cross cultural exchange of coaches and skaters. Even though the countries are competing against each other, there seems to be great international skating community where all of the skaters seem to support each other, even if they don't all speak the same language or come from the same place.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
But how far can Mirai go? I can't see the USFSA moving her up into the top 3 in the US! Ashley is still doing well and is getting good marks internationally. Gold they still see as the next one and is also being held up internationally and Polina is the future. I can't see them pushing Mirai above any of these three. Not to mention the up and comers like Chen.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But how far can Mirai go? I can't see the USFSA moving her up into the top 3 in the US! Ashley is still doing well and is getting good marks internationally. Gold they still see as the next one and is also being held up internationally and Polina is the future. I can't see them pushing Mirai above any of these three. Not to mention the up and comers like Chen.

Maybe she can move herself up? Who would have thought Ashley Wagner would end up three time US champion?

daphenaxa

Record Breaker

Politics can only go so far. If she rotates her jumps and gains consistency, like real consistency not one good program here and there and succeeds at Nationals, she will leave no room for the US fed not to send her to international competitions. But she has to leave them no choice.

MK's Winter

Record Breaker
Maybe she can move herself up? Who would have thought Ashley Wagner would end up three time US champion?

Exactly. I never thought Ashley would have won in 2012 and after the beginning of the 14/15, but that is what hard work and perseverance get you. I think Liza can relate to Mirai in the fact that at different points in their careers they were hailed to be greats and for whatever the reasons they both struggled. Liza turned it around and I hope she can give Mirai advice on mindset. Aside from Mirai's jump issues, I think her problems are mental as well, especially in the confidence department. I think Mishin can give her technique tips as well. If Ashley can turn her jumps around who's to say Mirai can't.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I'm kind of surprised she is continuing on. How many more heartbreaks does she have left in her? She has an almost insurmountable reputation of UR, so she'll be scrutinized more. I was really impressed by the up and comers that have passed Mirai. I hope she is enjoying the process.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Mishin might be the coach she needs. If she can only relocate to St. Petersburg, or he to the U.S. (unlikely given his stable of stars), he may be the coach she needs. If nothing else, I want her and Liza to have matching triple axels and do them side-by-side. :)

LRK

Record Breaker
Exactly. I never thought Ashley would have won in 2012 and after the beginning of the 14/15, but that is what hard work and perseverance get you. I think Liza can relate to Mirai in the fact that at different points in their careers they were hailed to be greats and for whatever the reasons they both struggled. Liza turned it around and I hope she can give Mirai advice on mindset. Aside from Mirai's jump issues, I think her problems are mental as well, especially in the confidence department. I think Mishin can give her technique tips as well. If Ashley can turn her jumps around who's to say Mirai can't.

Another thing Mirai and Liza have in common is that neither got to go to the Olympics last year, and coming back from that disappointment.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mishin is the best jumps coach in the world, but I question how much he can do for a skater who doesn't even seem to be aware of what is wrong.

I have said it before, but I'll say it again - Mirai's shocked face every time the TES comes up says to me that she doesn't feel her URs. She doesn't identify that she's doing it wrong. How can Mishin fix a skater who doesn't even know they're not rotating?

Now, if he's going to work with some Zakrasjek skaters, I wouldn't mind seeing him tidy up Max's air position a little.

moriel

Record Breaker
Mishin is the best jumps coach in the world, but I question how much he can do for a skater who doesn't even seem to be aware of what is wrong.

I have said it before, but I'll say it again - Mirai's shocked face every time the TES comes up says to me that she doesn't feel her URs. She doesn't identify that she's doing it wrong. How can Mishin fix a skater who doesn't even know they're not rotating?

Now, if he's going to work with some Zakrasjek skaters, I wouldn't mind seeing him tidy up Max's air position a little.

Well, he can first show her what is wrong first - after all, being able to explain what is going wrong is part of great choach skillset