Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Nagasu taking lessons with Mishin in CO

lightsout

Rinkside
The program certainly has potential, but it was kind of difficult to watch in part because of the similarity to nationals this year. There was no clear crash or point where you could definitely see an injury, but she stopped altogether at one point and was shaking her head at Tom Z. seemingly indicating that she wasn't going to finish. But then she did go on and did an upbeat footwork section. To me she seemed ok during the warm-up. It wasn't clear to me if what happened during the program was an injury issue or just early season lack of comfort with the program. Pulling for her either way!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The program certainly has potential, but it was kind of difficult to watch in part because of the similarity to nationals this year. There was no clear crash or point where you could definitely see an injury, but she stopped altogether at one point and was shaking her head at Tom Z. seemingly indicating that she wasn't going to finish. But then she did go on and did an upbeat footwork section. To me she seemed ok during the warm-up. It wasn't clear to me if what happened during the program was an injury issue or just early season lack of comfort with the program. Pulling for her either way!

I too am pulling for Mirai :yay:. FWIW, it was her second competition with her new FS, so I'm not sure what I think about the possibility of lack of comfort with the program.

But I wasn't there, whereas sounds as if you attended the Broadmoor Open in person and saw everything with your own eyes. Thanks for posting your observations :).

BTW, if you have thoughts on any other competitors there, hope you will post them in the Broadmoor Open thread:

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
That's really too bad about her LP at Broadmoor. I hope it's not an injury, the Freezer challenge was fun to read about, but I was nervous that someone would get injured (though I was pleasantly surprised that Mirai placed as well as she did in the jump comp, beating out some people like Courtney Hicks and Polina Edmunds. I think she won $5000 for coming in 2nd). I was really hoping that videos of Mirai's new programs would turn up.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's interesting that Vivian Le, who won the Freezer challenge, is the 2015 Junior bronze medalist and hasn't even competed in the JGP yet.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's interesting that Vivian Le, who won the Freezer challenge, is the 2015 Junior bronze medalist and hasn't even competed in the JGP yet.
They better get that girl on the JGP this year. It's just like the USFS to put some of the older skaters who don't have the potential of this girl on the JGP ahead of her.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Is that really that uncommon? There are plenty of junior level skaters that don't get junior grand prix assignments until a couple years of success at the lower levels at nationals. There simply aren't enough spots to go around, and given the US performance at junior world's the past two year it's only been even more tight. It felt like this year they barely had enough spots to send amber and karen (and they were sometimes the sole US lady at their events) , nevermind many more after that

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last season the US had only one JGP spot per event a total of 6, with no chance at an additional spot.
But this time the US has two JGP spots at 6 events, and 3 at the US event, a total of 15 spots, with Karen Chen, Mariah Bell and Hannah Miller having moved up to the GP. That leaves opportunities for Tyler Pierce, Amber Glenn, Leah Keiser, the top juniors (Tennell, Serafini, Le) and maybe Peng. It depends how they all perform at the summer comps.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Last season the US had only one JGP spot per event a total of 6, with no chance at an additional spot.
But this time the US has two JGP spots at 6 events, and 3 at the US event, a total of 15 spots, with Karen Chen, Mariah Bell and Hannah Miller having moved up to the GP. That leaves opportunities for Tyler Pierce, Amber Glenn, Leah Keiser, the top juniors (Tennell, Serafini, Le) and maybe Peng. It depends how they all perform at the summer comps.

Don't forget Emily Chan. There is a push to give her experience.