Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 23 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

pandatours

On the Ice
I received it yesterday too. There is an instruction at the bottom, simply hit "reply" directly to the message to write back to her. :agree:

Thank you! My email didn’t have an instruction and this is the first time I have contributed to a GFM so I was confused. I just responded to the email and hope I get a post card but if not I am still happy to contribute

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For those of you who don't have access to the competition thread, PM me if you'd like a temporary download link for CBC television's belated coverage of 4CC from this past Saturday, which includes their FD. (I'm now banned from Vimeo, so I can't upload videos on that site anymore. :( )

----

They appear in a few fluffs from the Canadian Championships:

Nationals Opening Montage (720p): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x727kf5

I Love Skating Fluff (720p): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x71z9te

Favourite Motto Fluff (720p): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x71wsy8

Men LP & Free Dance Opening Montage (720p): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x71v0uw

Top 3 Free Dance & Men LP Closing Montage (720p): https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x71wx0q

----

The following are "bonus material" that was filmed by TSN, but not aired during the Nationals television broadcast (as far as I know---I don't actually have TSN). They were made available only in 540p.

The Journey Fluff: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70rqqi

My Inspiration Fluff: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70s2qz It's 24 seconds longer than the 2018 SCI version.

Favourite Emoji Fluff: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x70s7qr It's 32 seconds longer than the 2018 SCI version.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I received it yesterday too. There is an instruction at the bottom, simply hit "reply" directly to the message to write back to her. :agree:
My email didn't have that explicit instruction either, but I just hit reply to the email and it sent, so that seemed to me what was intended.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Was supposed to write these thoughts just after 4CC, but well, life happened. Being busy with searching for a new job, interviewing, sending applications do not bode well for Forum activity ;). But thoughts are still valid.

Lately, I scrolled through 4CC FD thread, re-watched PSquared performance from Anaheim and the below response of jillredhand about other poster's exclamation that Piper & Paul got some 10's in Interpretation/Composition PCS categories really reached to me:

Well deserved- If there was ever a program that justified the importance of those categories, it's this one.

I think that we, influenced by what we see these days in ID (especially as for FD programs), tend often to 'flatten' and generalize PCS categories, reducing them maybe too much to being a bit of 'aftermath' of technical execution of the program. I'd say that judging presented as for PCS categories does not make it any better to be honest - it is quite rare for me to see especially 'Composition', 'Interpretation', 'Timing' and 'Performance' categories/factors evaluated more 'openly', addressing let's say the 'spirit'/inspiration/idea behind the program better, less connected with technical prowess/levels. I fully know it's a naïve thinking, but somehow I feel that if creativity and innovation as for program idea would be rewarded more, more teams would be encouraged maybe to go bolder & more original in their material; Piper & Paul not only created something unique as for the whole concept, including so many different factors like musical arrangement, song choice, costumes/design of them, choreography, nuance in elements/transitioning movement looking from execution/technical design side of Vincent FD, but I feel like they introduced some new, fresh quality of a program there that truly captures the essence and more 'creative' connotation of PCS categories. The program in its glory just makes 'Composition' or 'Interpretation' factors pop with importance and meaning so much, it makes the VALID to witness ALONG with execution, technical side of the program, not as just a part derived from it. It may seem weird, but Vincent FD really made me think about PCS categories in a bit different light, looking though perspective of an original program standing out from the field - how to evaluate something that is so cohesive in uniqueness and particular flavour of nuance out there, strongly tied in-between thought/idea and realization of it; it helped me to realize that these categories are indeed important and 'standalone', if a team lets them to be by a program. Especially if a program is performed the way Piper and Paul performed it at 4CC - this performance for me not only made different dimensions of the program shine, but validated people's reaction to it, accentuating importance of creativity and thought put into factors like 'composition' or 'interpretation', but also an importance of how people perceive/feel them. I really like this feel of more organic 'inclusion' of PCS components into performance represented by Vincent FD.

And the below post from litenkyckling also rang the bell for me:

I don't care about the score, you can't score magic, just sayin'

Vincent FD really has some kind of 'ominous' feel to it that cannot be described/defined in full, there's always something unspoken and bigger than words about it, the 4CC performance being proof - the design of it, the softness of it laced with so much power/impact and the strength of people's reaction to it. I think that this kind of response really can't be adequately measured by any score, low or high, with solid levels or not. The scores as for competition perfective are of course important, but I don't feel that they always truly represent the merit and substance of the program/performance - Vincent FD as a vehicle, creation of it and all the reaction gives a sense of longing for emotional investment into the program reaching behind prettiness, visual attractiveness, technical excellence, strength of execution I feel; this is an unique concept never presented before and that cannot be really associated with anything Piper & Paul have done to that point, but representing something desired by more people that we think. We can call it 'magic', but I think that it depends on what an actual viewer feels/experiences watching the program yet the common factor of it is to witness something special.

What I really appreciated in both performances at 4CC was the sense of progressing both technically/getting more easiness in executing programs without losing the sense of engagement, openness towards audience (even amping it up!). I do believe this was designed to develop and grow, but I think that the emotional response received, so much of being touched by the concept of that FD in particular, having that natural artistic trait to it really surpassed expectations somehow - there is an awareness that their execution is not always perfect to the T, but I see that usually there's a collective sense of having it underscored, especially in PCS area. I know it does not work like that, to see technical execution fully in separation to performance/program quality as a concept/creation/design ;), but I really like that Vincent FD stressed the importance of the later out, that we can love the program, relate on personal level to it independently of how it is placed in judging. I was impressed that they seemed to work on crispness and flow of RD, especially in pattern and step sequence, to get more 'clean' vision, 'easier' to assess as effective and solid; I love the concept of that RD with every little nuance carried, but I do see at the same time that judges may seek for more 'streamlined' visual overall (not saying exactly 'conservative' or schematic, but with original/quirky interpretation represented by PSquared they need to be extra clean & solid in execution to be seen as 'top' RD category I feel, RD for me is seen just as more 'strict' and hermetic segment where judges kinda expect a certain aesthetic/style of pattern/dance to be presented with technical solidness). As for FD, well, I already wrote tons about it in different threads, different competitions, but I felt that this time judges approached the PERFORMANCE of it with more 'open mind', at least for PCS evaluation - I loved these 10s given in categories it truly deserved, I also liked more of a 'bump' in GOE rewarding better execution, working on quality of elements, getting just more definition in nuance represented by innovative elements. Looking forward at Worlds, I don't honestly expect a medal or even top 5, but what I would like to see is this kind of reward/appreciation shown for the impactful performance with solid execution (also, I have this theory that a solid RD for them, not necessarily going over 80 or smth, may get them kind of PCS they got at 4CC if performed with similar quality...I just wish they were rewarded in their own respective quality represented, not always treated like a quirky Cinderella in light of other teams lol).

Last weird thing in that too-long-for-anything post is that re-reading competition chats from SCI, IdF, Canadian Nats, 4CC, then reminiscing my in-person experience from Grenoble, looking through photos, re-watching performances of Vincent FD, I truly experience the same physicality/authenticity of emotion from that program regardless if witnessed live or through smartphone screen. Of course, the optics of visual are different, seeing skating live looks different than through the screen, but with this team, this program I really feel it with the same intensity regardless of kind of experience. For me, it just makes a powerful story, a statement every time they perform it; the subtlety of guitar in musical arrangement, soulful and nostalgic note to it, warmth and emotional layer painted over everything makes it just closer to people wherever they are I feel - and it makes it easier to relate, respond to it too.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Attn.!! Last minute reinforcement for any P2 fans who will be present in Saitama!!! A fan created a printable design for paper banner, available in A2 or A3 size at local 7-Eleven convenience stores. Check this out!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Attn.!! Last minute reinforcement for any P2 fans who will be present in Saitama!!! A fan created a printable design for paper banner, available in A2 or A3 size at local 7-Eleven convenience stores. Check this out!

I would SO DO IT!!! As for printing & waving in the crowd like madwoman:laugh:, the audience with these posters waving for P&P will look AMAZING:love:

reneerose

Final Flight
I so cannot wait for Vincent tonight! And it will be during my waking hours. Good luck for a high placement to P2! And adored the first full look at Piper's dress yesterday, I think it fits a bit better colorwise for the RD.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I think that they can be proud of themselves - to captivate so many people by their Vincent FD, weight of raw, passionate emotion behind it, illuminating arenas with sense of something truly special happening this season. I know that result in strict sense of scores/placement is probably disappointing for them, but I hope they felt positive/supportive push and energy from their fans and all the people who fell in love with them this season because of who they are and what they created - not for what they did not win/achieve.

This whole season, seeing Vincent FD evolve, their RD progress into more 'round' and sophisticated vehicle, making effort to challenge themselves technically and grow artistic concepts at the same time, made me experience skating better, seeking for more emotional attachment with it behind results or scores - finding purpose in supporting something that caters to my 'human' side, not only 'FS viewer' aspect of my personality; seeing them live in Grenoble in last November, after YOLO-ing the trip in 3 days, made me stronger in my re-discovered passion for arts, for searching that artistic space for myself, exactly like they are doing it season after season, making an effort to give more from myself and take the enthusiasm out of it. I can only say THANK YOU Piper & Paul for what you did and what you started:)

snd

On the Ice
i think these two will quit now. i don't want them to but i think they will.

working with someone like zueva would be beneficial, probably, but i don't see them going coach shopping.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

working with someone like zueva would be beneficial, probably, but i don't see them going coach shopping.
I'm unclear why you think that. They've alluded to wanting to do another Olympics.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

I think if they did not quit after last year's Olys with no judges' love/politics pushover, they won't quit now. Worlds are in Canada next year and I believe they still have a competitive AND creative drive to give out some memorable moments/programs out there. And 'working with xxx' argument makes me smile, because this is rather connected with politics than real development/progress - they haven't done it before, don't see them doing it now to be honest.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I think if they did not quit after last year's Olys with no judges' love/politics pushover, they won't quit now. Worlds are in Canada next year and I believe they still have a competitive AND creative drive to give out some memorable moments/programs out there. And 'working with xxx' argument makes me smile, because this is rather connected with politics than real development/progress - they haven't done it before, don't see them doing it now to be honest.

I totally agree. :agree:
Why would they quit when they had probably their most successful past 18 months? It was a joy to see so many new fans suddenly discovering them since last year and Vincent...wow, Vincent!!!!! They are far too creative to call it a day, now they're in SoI Canada as well. WeaPos are not gonna stick it out for the next Olys and becoming Canada's No 1 is proper goal to work towards. I very, very much hope they are at Worlds next year, because they are a major reason why I want to go. :biggrin:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I totally agree. :agree:
Why would they quit when they had probably their most successful past 18 months? It was a joy to see so many new fans suddenly discovering them since last year and Vincent...wow, Vincent!!!!! They are far too creative to call it a day, now they're in SoI Canada as well. WeaPos are not gonna stick it out for the next Olys and becoming Canada's No 1 is proper goal to work towards. I very, very much hope they are at Worlds next year, because they are a major reason why I want to go. :biggrin:

Then I can only hope we will have a big Vincent group reunion there:):ghug:. This program, the deep, heartfelt feel about it that got to so many people is truly a legacy that will go down in way personal, memorable way (at least for me) than any result they got - and for me they introduced a new quality of making the program a beautiful frame for a centrepiece performance should be, showcasing both partners telling story that captures spirit of character and takes people along with it.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I really adored this FD for them this season, they have much to be proud of this year even if they didn't get the results they were hoping for especially head to head against W/P. Considering all Piper went through emotionally this year, it's so admirable they held everything together and performed so well all season.