Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Piper Gilles & Paul Poirier

tulosai

Record Breaker
OMG I loved the new program :love: I only wish it had been this way all season, I am extremely sad we'll never get to see this version again :(

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
OMG I loved the new program :love: I only wish it had been this way all season, I am extremely sad we'll never get to see this version again :(

Maybe we can see it on some side-show or exhibition? I hope so, it could work well there too. Their performance was the most pleasant surprise of SD, they looked like they were about to faint when they saw scores, especially Paul :laugh:

Last edited:

bj80alex

Rinkside
So happy to see the second version of this SD is finally rewarded by the judges. So excited and fun to watch:love: This SD has lightened up my day.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I knew the 'more Beatles' strategy is the good one! :yahoo: Very happy for them! :hap10:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
now I hope judges will also acknowledge the masterfulness and intricacy of their FD which is in my top 3 FD this season - I believe them at Nepela, believe them now, the can make it!!!:cheer:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
This ^

The new choices of Beatles songs were genius!
They worked so much better than before!
So happy for them, and loved their reaction in the K&C

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
They were just wonderful in the SD!! I too wish they had used the all Beatles music from the beginning of the season. They were so on the beat and so light over the ice! They just did not put a foot wrong during their SD. Congratulations on making the final warm up group at Worlds!

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Still bummed a little they didn't ended up higher, but I really enjoed their FD & very glad judges enjoyed their SD as much as I did! :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
many of their moves were my favourites of the competition.... judges were mean on them... they deserved higher. IMHO

snd

On the Ice
not emotionally rewarding - being their admirer during competitions. as per usual, their great qualities were glossed over and underscored. shameful and unjust placement. last season, their lousy programs got them 6th overall. this time, the new sd rendition without the baroque march was inferior to the original version, yet placed 5th somehow. ok. the fd - their true masterpiece, skated squicky clean, got them low-balled and dropped to 8th. there were people above them with catastrophic twizzles that scored almost 10p more than them. whatever. will just save their best performances and deal with the fact they are never going to get the recognition they deserve. the token "they are unlike the others" (oh really?) sure is faint praise. tarasova spoke of them using only superlatives, but well, the international judges know much more about great ice dance than her.

Last edited:

Alex D

Record Breaker
Piper and Paul at Worlds first review

From my Ice Dance report,

Wonderful is also what Piper and Paul do, as they bring a new and completely different approach to ice dance and I think, they were rewarded and yet punished for it. Their movements in both programs, are so creative and unique that there is probably not yet a score sheet for this, as nobody ever thought about this before.

I loved their twizzle and the ice they covered there, the position of her in the rotational lift and that music is so seductive, I can´t get enough of it, please more next season!
I am not sure if the expression "subtile" fits here, but that´s how I feel. Different motion, different movements, elements - it´s innovation and maybe the judges were not yet ready for it, but I see this type of skating win medals in the future.

It was not a love story, it was not the end of the world or happy skate and maybe saying this is wrong, but I hope that their style will never be killed by the judges or the media, as with other skaters before. I want them to stick to their skating, it is sport yes, but it´s also art and their art is very unique and special, I love them.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
My hope as well. Do not change. Remain yourselves. They grew on me over the years. I have changed. I have learned to appreciate their originality. The elements in the fd deserved higher recognition. Their interpretation was excellent too. I first freaked out at the TV when their score came up. But at the end of the night, if I had to pick one program I want to watch again, it would be theirs.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
It's coming. Patience and continued hard work. Keep your focus, you're on the right path! Don't change a thing (except those ugly tatoos on your leg, Piper - I thought at one point you cut yourself and had blood dripping down your leg :laugh:

snd

On the Ice
Their movements in both programs, are so creative and unique that there is probably not yet a score sheet for this, as nobody ever thought about this before.

here, have a wall of text (sorry):

i thought along those lines back when they threw pearls befo... ugh, the hitchcock program before the world. i thought that peple just did not know how to respond to this amazing artistry that is so rare not just in ice dancing, but figure skating in general. but then the last season happened: they presented two almost hideous programs to the judges and got the highest placement at worlds that they had ever seen – that poirier had ever seen with his different partners. their hideous programs were received almost as well as the best paso doble of that season – that of the shibutanis – and one of the better fd-s of the season – also that of the shibutanis. obviously the judges were able to pick the goods from the pile of debris: questionable choreography, dull music cuts, gimmicky or bland costumes… suddenly i thought: there is hope! gilles and poirier performed way below their abilities yet got rewarded amongst teams with strong(er) programs – imagine what will happen when they get good programs! finally the medals won’t be so completely out of their reach!

and well, they sure did get amazing programs this season, both the sd and the fd. the beginning of the current season was very promising – they competed against the shibutanis, who – again – had two very strong programs – and beat them. yes, gilles and poirier beat the shibutanis at the beginning of the season by ca 5p. yet now there is a reverse 15p difference between them. the programs are more or less the same except that the musical structure of gilles and poirier’s sd got ruined. how exactly is their newest rendition of the sd better than the sublime fd? the 5th place finish after the sd shows that the judges actually do have all the necessary tools to reward them when they deserve it. the fd score (and the 8th place) shows that they just choose not to do so whenever they feel like nobody’s going to care about low-balled gilles and poirier. it’s disappointing and disgraceful.

tarasova disliked their sd (‘it is not a waltz!’…‘as much of a waltz as I am a ballerina!’), yet was genuinely perplexed when watching their fd: how is it humanly possible for gilles and poirier – actually, for anyone at all – to execute elements of such difficulty so cleanly? she said they were pristine and astonishing – both in terms of difficulty and originality – in their fd. indeed, their tech scores are usually decent – nothing scandalous there. they are just robbed of the deserved pcs. so here is a figure skating insider with no national attachment to gilles and poirier who was deeply touched by their vision and mesmerized by the polished execution of said vision. i do not believe for a second that at least some of the judges couldn’t see the very same merits in this pair’s skating. they saw it all right. they just really didn’t – and don’t – care.

i find it hard to believe that years of general indifference to their merits won't kill their creative sparkle. the remastering of the current sd was already a dangerous compromise that should have never happened...

and as far as i can see, the canadian fs federation is perfectly fine with this.

edit: i didn't mean to sińgle out the canadian fsf. it is a universal problem: the italians, for instance, opted not to send the national ladies champion giada russo to the worlds. people won't even know of probably one of the best fs of the decade - her red violin. euros performance highly recommended for watching.

Last edited:

bj80alex

Rinkside
Does anyone have their SD video from any channels? Their SD in the worlds is my favorite program of this season.:yahoo:

bj80alex

Rinkside

Thnaks for you links cathlen, I've checked threads for videos, but unfortunately the Russian link does not work in my country. Let's see if there would be any CBC videos coming up.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
tarasova disliked their sd (‘it is not a waltz!’…‘as much of a waltz as I am a ballerina!’),

I'm sorry but I didn't get that impression at all. She said the music was artificially changed to fit the waltz requirements, but she also pointed out that it is not a bad thing. I don't think she disliked the dance.

Edit: I personally think their new SD is AWFUL. Absolutely. And I thought it would be hard to do a worse SD than their original version. So, I was wrong.
Their FD however is top 3 out of all FDs this season for me. however, it's too open and the lack of dance holds is not playing in their favor.

Last edited: