Gabrielle Daleman | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Gabrielle Daleman

musicfan80

Medalist
YAY GABBY! That LP was so inspiring to watch and seeing how she was with Lee and Brian in the Kiss & Cry was just precious.

Enjoy your world medal Gabby! :dance3:

liv

Record Breaker
Congrats to Gabrielle Daleman, world bronze medalist!!!! Woot, woot!! doesn't that sound good? And both times, she had to skate after Evgenia and it did not phase her one bit, which is awesome. Instead, she rose to the challenge and that's exactly the kind of confidence you need to be at the top. Work hard this summer, girl, there's so much more you can improve on to get even closer to the verrrry top.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
She was definitely the most exciting skater today! Congrats! Well deserved medal.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
She was amazing! Isn't that amazing for her? So many people thought she was just a jumper and she would never be one of the very top ladies, and look at her now. And what a perfect time for a breakthrough - the season before the Olympics.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Wonderful Gabby! Love her Herodiade SP this season!! (And thank you for introducing me this magnificent piece of music!) Keep slaying with 3T+3T!!!

And really only six pages for her fan thread??? We need to make it groooooooooooooooow!

Well this post makes the seventh page, keep posting!!

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I've seen Gabby live twice and really love her huge jumps, and I think she's very underrated as a performer. I'd bet nobody predicted her for the podium...I certainly didn't...but I hope this is just the beginning for her! Also, she has the best eyebrows I've ever seen :laugh:

Warwick360

Medalist
I've seen Gabby live twice and really love her huge jumps, and I think she's very underrated as a performer. I'd bet nobody predicted her for the podium...I certainly didn't...but I hope this is just the beginning for her! Also, she has the best eyebrows I've ever seen :laugh:

Exactly. The jumps are huge and clean. Which is why it annoys me when people on youtube argue and give a thumbs down on her vid by saying that her combo was easy. Same goes for people who are under their stupid ignorance in thinking that a Biellmann is a fundamental requisite to get a level 4 on a layback.:rolleye:

DiamondDust

Final Flight
Congratulations to Gabby!!! Her jumps were awesome and performed that program really well. A favorite aside, I loved her program more than the top two. :hap10:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You did it! Huge personal best. So proud of you and i hope more people will pay attention to you now. You're there for the prize !!!!

Stolmov

On the Ice
She is very charming and hard working girl who got her moment to shine. Bravo Gabby.

TT_Fin

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I really haven't noticed her before very much. But my interest started already during the skaters introduced. She was like "hey, I'm the final group, cool to be here". And after she started to skate. It did not take long before she was in full speed and what a speed she had. And the reaction, first after the scores and a second after when she suddenly clearly understood she will medal.

TGee

Record Breaker
Really want to make sure all Gabby's fans see the CBC feature video on how she is calling out 'Look where I am now' to the bullies of her childhood.

Gabby has a learning disability that makes learning to read and write difficult, and she suffered for it in the school environment. Between that, and leaving school early to skate, she experience social isolation. And then later, she experienced body shaming because she didn't have what many viewed as the classic figure skater physique. She had been a two sport athlete, competing also as a gymnast, and it shows in her upper body development.

The video on bullying is embedded in this page on the Canadian women at Worlds..

And here is a video with both Gabby and Kaetlyn's FS from Worlds on CBC's youtube channel...

Kudos to Gabby for speaking out on bullying. It does exist in Canadian schools, as it does everywhere. Canadian researchers have been leading internationally in gathering evidence that bullying is real, and how much of it teachers just don't see. The tide is starting to turn against the idea that bullying is just a part of childhood that must be borne. Having sports figures like Gabby and Eric Radford speak out is part of changing that.

And also kudos to Gabby for acknowledging her learning disability. Figure skating is a sport that, because it requires a lot of individual coaching and work, can accommodate kids with special needs more than many others. Having elite skaters talk about their learning challenges can motivate young skaters who are facing their own challenges in the school environment. And help skating coaches appreciate how important skating is to the lives of these kids.

--------

ETA: saw waterblades posted the bullying interview earlier...and with the accessible youtube video version..

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I say go for that 3A, Gabby. You have in your club the best triple axel jumper in the world... learn it!! She's got the power, she can do it. Some of the other girls at the top have no hope or prayer of doing it, but she can... use that athleticism, girl!!