Gabrielle Daleman | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Gabrielle Daleman

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I think in a way all of us in this thread were crushed for her, knowing that if conditions were right a podium finish was more than likely. I am so proud of her for making such big strides this year, competing with the best in the world and showing that she belongs. Be patient Gabby, as it will happen for you, and happen often!

Thanks TGee for this reminder of my post after TEB. Congrats Gabby, now the World knows what we always knew you were capable of doing. Sine my post in the fall, an ISU Silver and a World Bronze. Just wait until next season!!!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Really want to make sure all Gabby's fans see the CBC feature video on how she is calling out 'Look where I am now' to the bullies of her childhood.

Gabby has a learning disability that makes learning to read and write difficult, and she suffered for it in the school environment. Between that, and leaving school early to skate, she experience social isolation. And then later, she experienced body shaming because she didn't have what many viewed as the classic figure skater physique. She had been a two sport athlete, competing also as a gymnast, and it shows in her upper body development.

The video on bullying is embedded in this page on the Canadian women at Worlds..

And here is a video with both Gabby and Kaetlyn's FS from Worlds on CBC's youtube channel...

Kudos to Gabby for speaking out on bullying. It does exist in Canadian schools, as it does everywhere. Canadian researchers have been leading internationally in gathering evidence that bullying is real, and how much of it teachers just don't see. The tide is starting to turn against the idea that bullying is just a part of childhood that must be borne. Having sports figures like Gabby and Eric Radford speak out is part of changing that.

And also kudos to Gabby for acknowledging her learning disability. Figure skating is a sport that, because it requires a lot of individual coaching and work, can accommodate kids with special needs more than many others. Having elite skaters talk about their learning challenges can motivate young skaters who are facing their own challenges in the school environment. And help skating coaches appreciate how important skating is to the lives of these kids.

--------

ETA: saw waterblades posted the bullying interview earlier...and with the accessible youtube video version..

This is required viewing for anyone interested in the sport, of how this young lady overcame both a learning disability and bullying, using her tool box and these skills to become one of the best in the world.

Great journalism here, finding a story within a story, and kudos to Gabby for being brave enough to tell us her struggles and her journey!

Pika

Final Flight
OMG Congrats Gabby on that world medal !!!! JUST AWESOME !! I'm so thrilled for her, her LP was really exciting ! I was litterally screaming at each jump landed :laugh:
In the end, the battle between the Canadians was the more epic part of the Ladies. And Gabby held on, what a good way to enter the Olympic season !!

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I'm late to the celebration, but wow, I am so happy that Gabby win the Bronze! She truly made amazing progress. Two years ago she had fine jumps but was really unwatchable and it seemed like she had no potencial to bevome polished. She win Nats that year over Alaine and I remember people were pissed off. She then barely made FS at Worlds. Last year I didn't pay attention to her but wasn't happy that she took Kaetlyn's spot at Worlds, but when I saw her there I finally saw potenciál! And this year she was amazing! Her SP is brilliant and while the FS is a little bit generic, she shines! I hope she can improve even more next season! :clapper: :hap10:

maldoror122

Rinkside
She was definitely one of the stars of these Championships for me. I so look forward to seeing her grow in the coming years :love:

sarama

Medalist
I was never a huge Gabby Daleman fan, but after seeing her live I had to totally change my mind: she is so much faster than every other lady, her jumps are enormous in height and length and TBH her commitment to the program is not bad at all! I think that Bronze medal was very much deserved:clapper:

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I was never a huge Gabby Daleman fan, but after seeing her live I had to totally change my mind: she is so much faster than every other lady, her jumps are enormous in height and length and TBH her commitment to the program is not bad at all! I think that Bronze medal was very much deserved:clapper:

:ghug:

a Pocket-Rocket, our Gabrielle, so fast, explosive with her skating. It seems to cause some headache/other body parts ache for some, but here in Poland we have a proverb that 'dogs are barking and the caravan goes on' - people can sneer/seethe over her and yet she produced quality, impact and success, confident as diva.

Everything was on point - with skating on the lead, but let me just be a shallow potato for a moment - the best make-up, styling and this SP cobra-boobage costume of all Ladies for me!:love:

ETA - and LOOOVE these comment in tone 'oh no, she didn't win this, it was handed to her by others!' or 'OMG, how dare she medalled over others?!':love: (I know I'm evil:laugh:), it's just those darn Canadian Ladies slaying my life getting this out of me

Last edited:

sallycinnamon

Medalist
Congratulations to Gabby on her bronze medal. I really loved her FS this season, and she skated it beautifully!
Her charisma and presence on the ice is just inredible, and I also had the sense that she was the fastest lady during the whole competition (along with maybe Higuchi and Medvedeva).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Congratulations, Gabby! You earned that well deserved medal and recognition. :clap: Go forth with confidence for more future glory!

Gabby is a standout not to be forgotten or confused with any generic ice princess, not with her power skating and jumping, and the exotic beauty.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
One nice thing which I already wrote in the ladies FS topic, what you probably did not see on TV. She clapped with the audience when she heard Evgenia's scores. The huge applause did not seem to disturb her at all, rather vice versa.

beki

Medalist
Since returning from Helsinki, my thoughts keep returning to Gabby. It was so exciting to watch her vault herself into the top tier of skaters. Gold medal for attack. Everything worked this year—the packaging, the conditioning, the mental game. She had the eye of the tiger. I think I realized it when I watched an interview with novice gold medal ice dancer Natalie D'Alessandro, who said she was her idol, and an incredibly hard worker. I'm a fan of Team Cricket in general, and it's good to see one of the women break through.

I can't help but wish for a quad or 3A from her. She seems to have the raw ability, and she could apply a lot of pressure that way. Start winning, and people get greedy :laugh:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Ice princesses be warned, there's a new fierceness coming your way called, Canadian Women! May their reign be long and forever changing.

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist

This was just too sad to read.

At every turn, she was being told that she had to look a certain way to do what she loved. She was told how a girl should look. She didn’t love who she was. She was ashamed of her abs. And her strength.

I hate finding out that any young girl/woman thinks that they aren't beautiful because they don't have a certain "look". But I love that she has people who have helped her see how strong and beautiful she is. I also love that she has Dylan Moscovitch as a "big brother" when she's training. :)