Translation requests | Golden Skate

Translation requests

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Hi,
In the "adopting skaters" thread, the question of how to efficiently get translation of articles/videos etc. was raised.
I think that if it is posted in a particular skater's thread, it can get lost in the flow.

So I thought that creating this thread could be a good idea!
If anybody wants something translated, they can post it in here and so other members can translate if/when they can! :agree:
Then the original poster can post the translation into individual skaters thread!

Sunny Little

On the Ice
Welp, I tried! And hopefully I didn't butcher the English Language. Here's the first page of the article. I'll work on the rest later. :)

She is 20 years old; he is 23 years old. In her eyes, his stubborness/determination/dedication can be "foolish", but he is still a considerate big brother to her. In his eyes, her willingness to bear hardships shows how bold her heart is, yet she is intelligent.

Together they are a figure skating pair of China. Her name is Sui Wenjing; his name is Han Cong.

As athletes, training and competition have become part of their lives. They say that they are used to the sweat, even the pain and injuries, from training and competing; they feel that there is nothing much to it. However, they are not the same as their “seniors” in the sport; as a duo from the 90’s generation, they have their own views regarding the relationship between their sport and their career.

Dreams, in fact, also have individuality.

Wenjing says that the reason she engaged in figure skating is to realize her childhood dreams. When she first started, she trained in the singles division. Then, the coaches selected athletes and paired her up with Han Cong. “Although we went through a lot of stuff, both of us are still together until now.”

Because he is older, Han Cong is used to calling Sui Wenjing “Xiao Sui” (meaning Little Sui). “I’m 23 years old this year, that’s three years older than Xiao Sui. I can’t be considered as young anymore. Figure skating is more like a task to me than it is a career.”

Han Cong feels like his younger self was a little “stupid”. He didn’t know what “dreams/goals” were, but his parents and coach would unnoticeably instil into him what it means to have dreams. “My coach would ask me why I am skating and what am I skating for? Am I trying to provide my family with better living conditions? And when I’m older, do I want to able to tell my children that their father once did all these vigorous, amazing things?”
The skating duo thinks that they are vastly different from the “senior” generation. “We still started from scratch in this team-based sport. Life in a team-based sport is simple and it can be dull. What we can see/learn from our seniors has more or less affected us as well. There are skaters who are even younger than me, and when I retire from this sport, I want to leave a good impression on them and be a good role model,” said Han Cong. “Their dreams will be clearer to them, and the goals they strive to achieve will be more defined.”

As Han Cong belongs to the new generation, his personality is striking, he likes to take selfies, he spends much time on Weibo, and he likes to browse the pictures that his friends post on WeChat.

“Coming Chinese New Year we have plans for training, so we’re not going back to our hometowns. Being away from home and missing our family – this is how it always is during the holidays. I would call my mother, and she would send me photos of me when I was little. I’d share these photos on Weibo to let skating fans see what I looked like as a little girl,” said Wenjing.

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
thanks a lot Sunny! I am not a native speaker either but I think your English is great! :)

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Excellent idea for a thread. :thumbsup: I try to get by w/Google Translate, but audio/video interviews are always a challenge.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
Thank you so much for the translation! I look forward to the rest :)

alia jackson

Record Breaker
Last edited:

TrishaG

Rinkside
Could someone who speaks Japanese kindly tell me what Yuzuru says before and after his oly performance? at 1:50 in the video http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25y7w0_140914-%E3%82%AD%E3%83%AA%E3%83%88%E3%83%AB_sport
Arigato before?
thx

It translates to something like "Well...let's have fun." That's before he skates. After he skates, he says "That was fun!" This is based on the captions so it looks like they had figured out what he'd said and are captioning his words for the viewers.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
could someone translate this article about Mao from Japanese into English? http://www.sanspo.com/sports/news/20150513/fgr15051305050002-n1.html

Quick translation

From Half-Half to a Decision! Mao, returns to active duty

Mao Asada, 24, has started training with an aim to return to competition it was said by an insider.
In May she began training and looking for the possibility of a comeback.
On the 18th, Mao will hold a press conference for the Ice show THE ICE and it is assumed she will make her intentions clear.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Could someone translate this interview with Denis Ten? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB-wUcan6OA

mmm it is really difficult because Denis talks in Russian but then voice translation speaks over him to translate into Kazakh language so I can't understand much. 1st question is about Shanghai technical pb with music I guess.
Denis says because it is world championships, it created fuss that happened such thing but it was an accident or bad luck. But he is happy he could do good in FS. And it is the second medal he wins at WC.
Then they show the medals.

Then the presenter gives him a medal and Denis says it is cool and will remind him of the host. And then he shows picture background on his phone of him and the host. He used it as background because the host looked good in the pic and Denis liked it.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
https://www.facebook.com/jomasport.lv/videos/vb.137558862925839/1065417133473336/?type=2&theater

Is there any Russian speaker interested in translating the above interview wih Latvian skater Angelina Kuchvalska?

Quick parallel translation (did not edit). Most answers by the coach - Angelina is very shy.

In the 10th grade she is already in the Olympic team – what will be in the 11th? – A boyfriend and the end to FS :) She came to FS at 4. She had little ice – just 5 hours a week but her progress was visible very early. Why did she have little ice? We had no money – there were not many rinks in the center of the city. Now it has become a little easier. What do you think before doing a triple? I think about proper technique. How often do you train now? 2-3 hours a day. But now I think of studying at school. Do you prefer ice or choreo? Ice – I like to jump and spin – choreo is more boring. What is your routine: 1 hour choreo – 1 ice? It depends but we also have problems with gym halls. How are things at school? Excellent. Are your classmates envious? No What about math? Not perfect but OK. Does skating prevent? A little bit. If you had a strict choice, skating or school? Skating. Again skating in Riga… Very bad. Everything for hockey. They even built new rinks NHL standard – small. We have only one rink. And the ice is bad – even temperature for hockey is different. Wish we had a special rink for FS. Any hope? Now that we show results we have hope. Are you friends with the coach? Outside rink yes but while working? What do you like in your coach? She is goal oriented – keeps me focused. What do you like in Angelina and do not like? She is concentrated but sometimes too concentrated – does not react at all. Good character – she analyses mistakes and improves. Next start? Hope next October GP – we are waiting for the invitation.
Do you have signs or superstitions? No, I tried different – does not work. Who selects dresses? Together. How expensive is a dress with which you had the 7th place in Europe? About 600 euros. Wow. Why, skates cost about 1000. Any difference with skates for 100? Do not know – too dangerous to try. School and FS what else? Friends, walking. But if I catch her late in the Internet I send a message – what’s the… So if you are in the movies with a boy… I don’t go to the movies with boys. Do you have a nickname? At school they used to call me angel – did not like it. What’s the main thing in FS – gliding and technique. Who is the best skater? Pluschenko.