Do you ever have dreams about skaters? | Page 17 | Golden Skate

Do you ever have dreams about skaters?

Seven Sisters

Medalist
Last year I had a dream that was not about skaters per se, but did have skaters in it...

In the dream, my kids (who were tweens in the dream—in real life, they are older), had been out trick or treating in the neighborhood on Halloween, while I stayed at the house passing out candy. (For those unfamiliar, this is a US holiday where kids disguise themselves in costumes and go house to house in their neighborhoods playfully asking for treats in return for not playing tricks on those who decline!) The kids were a little late getting back, but eventually turned up, explaining that they’d wandered farther than they expected into an area that had bad cell reception so they weren’t able to call. But, they explained, no worries, and they’d encountered these nice people who had offered to walk them home.

I looked out into the yard and there saw Piper Gillies and Paul Poirier—as I recall, wearing their skating costumes—who acknowledged my thanks with a wave, and left.

This is especially odd because I’m neither Canadian, nor a particular fan of this team. I can’t imagine why they would show up in any dream of mine. I’ve always admired their costuming though, so perhaps that’s it.

LaArdilla

Medalist
I remember that to be able to watch the SD live during the Pyeongchang Olympics I had to set my alarm clock for like 3-4 AM. So I went to sleep and woke up suddenly when, in my dream, P/C messed up their rhumba pattern! It was such a shocker! So there I was, lying in bed and watching the competition on my phone. The pattern was actually really good, but then I noticed the costume malfunction. I have wondered ever since if it was a sort of prophetic dream!

I've also dreamt about Mao, but that was after her retirement.

Beckaboomer

Final Flight
Can't believe my first post will literally be about one of my dreams.. why am I like this..

Anyway, I actually had a really sad and disturbing dream about a group of skaters who got into an accident, like a plane crash. I think it's because of two things: 1) I watched the movie We Are Marshall right before bed and 2) the anniversary of what happened to Denis Ten. I woke myself up crying. :( I won't even mention which skaters or what happened in detail but it was really sad and it was such an odd one I didn't feel like I could talk to anybody else about it. Brains are so weird.

Last edited:

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Can't believe my first post will literally be about one of my dreams.. why am I like this...

Dreams can be off-balancing, sometimes they seem to be all about everything you DON'T want to imagine. I dream quite a bit about dead people (not zombies, they look perfectly normal though they and I both know they are dead) and yes, I have dreamed about dead skaters (and other types of competitors) actually at events and, umm, winning.

The subconscious is a funny old thing...

Beckaboomer

Final Flight
Dreams can be off-balancing, sometimes they seem to be all about everything you DON'T want to imagine. I dream quite a bit about dead people (not zombies, they look perfectly normal though they and I both know they are dead) and yes, I have dreamed about dead skaters (and other types of competitors) actually at events and, umm, winning.

The subconscious is a funny old thing...

Okay I feel a little inappropriate for laughing at this but... HAH. Zombie figure skaters. I would watch that movie.

The sad dream I had about the skaters was even more unsettling because it followed a really linear narrative, like a movie. Usually my dreams (everyone's dreams, I guess) are all jumbled and time is out of whack and it's nonsense. But this was so vivid and realistic, I think that's why I actually cried. Anyway, on a slightly more positive note I have had anxiety dreams about my favorite skaters failing in competition but every time this happens they always perform really well. So... yay?

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
If it makes you feel any better, my dreams are always realistic and linear, and I've found that eating or drinking alcohol too close to when I go to sleep is the main factor in how weird they are or aren't, not anything deeper. :ghug:

Shedi0806

On the Ice
Today's dream:

With an old friend from college (to whom I had not spoken in ages) we went out to McDonalds. It is especially funny since I hardly ever go there, but for some reason we decided to go. I am not sure in which country we were in but we were speaking in English even among ourselves. When we actually got there people were saying that Nathan Chen and Shoma Uno are at the counters serving customers that day for some time and the money that the customers pay during that period is for charity. We eventually saw them and there they were putting the food in bags and taking the money side-by-side both of them smiling at the customers. We waited til this period finished and they went to the restaurant area to greet the fans. We managed to talk to Shoma who told us he would like to go somewhere and if we could give him a ride. He did not speak much English, but we understood each other well. I also remember a part when we were talking in the car but after that I woke up.

IndiaP12

iliabot wakabot gumennikbot team korea stan
Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I had another dream with Anna Shcherbakova a couple of nights ago, but I can’t remember what happened [emoji848] last night I had a really long dream with Isabeau Levito in it for some weird reason - well probably cause I was watching videos of her from aerial challenge earlier. We were going to some sort of camp and I was sitting next to her on the bus. In the awkward way that I do when I’m trying to explain something to a stranger, I told her about watching her live at US Nationals and Glacier Falls (even though she didn’t compete there and I don’t live in the US) and I said her 3Lo+1Eu+3S was great (even though she only landed that combo in the aerial challenge [emoji23]). We were roommates in the camp for a few days (no idea what camp, a bunch of my school friends were there and I also remember catching a glimpse of Gabriella Papadakis and some other ice dancers [emoji23]) I also remember getting extremely lost by myself in the camp but that’s not skating related, and otherwise nothing much went on. Then she left to go stay with some other friends and my sister came and I told her about how I became friends with the U.S. Intermediate national silver medalist and the dream ended [emoji23] it was so real it’s strange

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I had a dream that I was watching some video of Yuzuru Hanyu at an outreach event with a bunch of very young skaters (like, 7 and younger, and about a hundred of them, very hectic). What he was saying was hard to hear, so the person who made the video added subtitles... only he inserted a bunch of crossed-out text meant to be Yuzu's thoughts. The real subtitles were all nice and polite and encouraging, but the cross-outs made it seem like Yuzu was only there for the greater good of promoting skating and helping out and encouraging the kids, not that he actually wanted to be there by a long shot. The video editor also had him referring to the kids as numbers instead of by their names, implying that the organizers of the events had loaded him up with way too many to keep track of names.

At the end, a kid followed him out of the rink, and the subtitles went something like, "I'm glad you're enjoying skating. (Crossed out: I'm so hungry, No. 72, quit following me and let me go get lunch!) Just keep trying your best, and you'll make it very far! You have a lot of talent!"

I wish I could remember more of the dialogue. It must have really been something, because I kept waking up giggling, then falling back asleep and continuing the dream until the next time I woke up giggling. Also, it is completely unfair that I can see/read all those kanji in my dreams but not write them from memory when I'm awake...

dramasocks

On the Ice
This is kind of a wacky and nonsensical dream, but it happened 😅

Last night, I dreamt that Nobunari Oda, Daisuke Takahashi, and I were all university students and in the same class. We were dancing around in a park fountain at sunrise with a beautiful pink-orange sky behind us, then realized we needed to get to school.

So, we took a whale watching boat to get to class (???), and we needed to hurry because Mao Asada was waiting for us. I went down some stairs that lead into the water because it was a “faster” route somehow LOL and Daisuke followed behind me telling me I would lose my backpack with my homework in it. Unfortunately, we didn’t make it to class or meet up with Mao because I woke up once I hit the water.

hanyuufan5

Medalist
I had this dream that I was waiting for my ride by this steep hill after a shopping trip at a store near a big rink with a lot of elites. I passed Karen Chen in the hall, and when I got outside, Gracie Gold was sitting on the stairs leading to the street. So I just gave her a quick smile and nonchalantly went to sit on the grass, trying not to act fangirly or even let on that I knew who she was. I have pretty bad depth perception, so I really don't like heights without guardrails, but the top of that hill was the only spot I could be near Gracie and watch for my ride without being too obvious. I kept catching the hill out of the corner of my eye, not being able to judge the distance right away, and stiffening up and looking terrified until I realized that, no, it did not get closer, and I was not going to fall off it. Gracie kept looking over, clearly amused by the random chick who kept gasping and clutching her chest for no visible reason at the sight of a stationary hill. I think she probably figured out that I knew who she was and that's why I was subjecting myself to that. :laugh:

hanyuufan5

Medalist
And another! I was in some hotel restaurant in Japan, filming a drama or movie or something that Yuzuru Hanyu was starring in and I had a minor role in. I think I might have been the waitress. Anyway, our characters were talking in Japanese (I can't remember what we said), and some foreign character came over and asked something, so Yuzu's character answered in English. When the guy left, I had to tell Yuzu's character that his English is terrible, which I felt really bad about but did anyway because that was the script.

OK, here's one to analyze.

I dreamed that I was trapped in a maze, like Pac-Man. Kristi Yamaguchi was after me. Only she was magic and could fly, like Tinkerbell.

But here's the strange part. I was Kristi Yamaguchi, too. So I was chasing myself. Only I was just a regular Kristi -- I couldn't fly.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oooooohkay... I'm not sure what it meant but I was at Worlds (which was, umm, being held in Antarctica, there was a tram going there, don't ask). I do remember Yuzu being there but he was in his special black hakama and it was clear he was NOT competing.

However, two things stood out. Firstly, some of the skaters waiting to compete were actually deceased (I do dream about dead people a lot) including a couple who are right now quite alive and successful and no I'm not naming them. They'd argued that the rules didn't say anything about having to not be dead...

Secondly - and this is where Yuzu (and Liza, I think!) came in, they were supervising the rink preparation, it was being knitted in spidersilk. By icy cold spiders.

A pity I woke, I would really have liked to see who skated well on knitted ice...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, arrived home from my holidays at about 3am this morning, and now that I have had a few hours sleep, wanted to update you on a couple of dreams I had while I was away.

The first was actually about motorbike racers, but I am including it here because there was a cameo appearance from a figure skater.

Dani Pedrosa (2003 125GP World Champion; 2004 and 2005 250GP World Champion; and 3 times MotoGP Championship runner-up) and myself were now managing female rider María Herrera (biggest claim to fame probably finishing 4[SUP]th[/SUP] in the 2013 CEV Moto3 Championship). Of course, as somebody who had only recently retired from competing, Dani was doing all the important stuff like rider coaching, while I was doing the more organisational stuff.

Anyway, it was Free Practice day during a race weekend. I was going around the paddock looking for Dani for some reason, and I went into this room where there were about thirty people sat at a table having a meal. I thought I spotted the back of Dani's head, so I went up and tapped his shoulder. And when the person turned around, it was actually Yuzuru Hanyu. So, I apologised, and went back to looking for Dani.

The funny thing is, apart from both having jet black hair, Dani and Yuzu look nothing like each other! And the fact that Yuzu was wearing a kimono should probably have been a bit of a giveaway. :p But, to be fair, I am nearly sure that I saw Dani wearing one at a promotional event before the Japanese GP many years ago.

I don't actually remember any more of the dream, so onto the next one.

During the last night of my holidays, I finally had a dream about my current skating crush. :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

OK, so it was not the most pleasant of dreams, but at least it was about her.

She had recently done a competition, and had not done as well in it as she had hoped. It was now about a week later, and she was still very down about it. So, her Dad decided to call me to see if I could cheer her up. (This is where it got a bit strange, because her Dad looked absolutely nothing like what he does in real life. To the extent that he was a totally different ethnicity in my dream!)

So, I went around to her place, and waited for her to come home from wherever she was (work? Uni? I don't know, because the dream didn't go into that much detail). There were four of us in the room chatting. My parents were towards the corner, while her Dad and I were more central.

Then my crush arrived home. And when she saw me there, she looked horrified. She came over to me and gave me a polite hug, during which I whispered in her ear: "Don't worry, this was not my doing. I know you don't really like me, but I couldn't really say 'no'."

When we finished our hug, the grown-ups made their excuses and left, so that my crush and I were left in the room. Both feeling very awkward.

And then I woke up.

Not really the dream I wanted to have about her, but at least I can now say that I have had a dream specifically about her.

I have to admit, I was getting concerned that I hadn't had a dream about her, yet I had already had 2 dreams about her slightly-younger-but-more-accomplished team-mate. You see, when I posted in June about having a dream about this team-mate, I had forgotten that I had dreamt about her back in 2017 as well. It was only when I was looking through my old posts in this thread there now that I spotted the post about that dream and I realised that I had now dreamt about her twice rather than just the once.

Hopefully, there will be more, nicer, dreams about my crush to come.

CaroLiza_fan

hanyuufan5

Medalist
Well, I guess my brain wanted a gala exhibition for ACI so badly that it dreamt one up. Yuzuru Hanyu came onto the ice in an anime-style mecha, and he was soon joined by Johnny Weir and Evgeny Plushenko, also in mechas. Evgeny's was the largest and had this balcony thing that for some reason Xemnas and Ansem (Xehanort's Heartless) from Kingdom Hearts were also on. :jaw: They did a super-cheery group EX in the mechas, which didn't have skates but could actually do the choreography decently. :shocked: Xemnas and Ansem were smiling and waving at the crowd as if they were in a parade. I mean, I know they sort of got moments of redemption at the end of Kingdom Hearts III, but that might be taking it a bit far.

Yeah, I have no idea. I love Kingdom Hearts, but Xemnas and Ansem are nowhere near my favorite characters, and the only mecha anime I've seen was Code Geass years and years ago. Maybe my top 3 favorite men's skaters in one place overloaded my brain.