2015 Broadmoor Open, June 24-27 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015 Broadmoor Open, June 24-27

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Also forgot to mention it looks like Sarah and Drew - The Inside Edge - are there tweeting.

All they've posted so far are scores for the men's SP Only event and what jumps they did.

And now @sk8suki has tweeted a photo of the results sheet for today's Senior Men's SP Only (showing the scores for all five men):

Also for Senior Ladies SP Only (top three: Amber Glenn, Miyu Nakashio, Mariah Bell):

Last edited:

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
I wonder if Mariah Bell and the other Monument skaters watered down their jumps like Jason does at this point in the season. That would explain some of the lower scores.

Way to go Liam Firus on that quad!

Shani

On the Ice
Amber Glenn was amazing in her Junior year and hit growth issues last year. Maybe she got through it. She showed great signs of being powerful and lyrical, and she is still young.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I have thought about it, and I tend to side with karne and golden411 on this. My thinking is that if they don't know about the forums, they intentionally don't want to know and i respect that. I am sure they know they exist, if they wanted to know more, they know how to figure it out. If they want to deliberately block it out, I tend to want to respect that.

Please do not equate "do you read the boards" with "you should read the boards." Thank you.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have thought about it, and I tend to side with karne and golden411 on this. My thinking is that if they don't know about the forums, they intentionally don't want to know and i respect that. I am sure they know they exist, if they wanted to know more, they know how to figure it out. If they want to deliberately block it out, I tend to want to respect that.

Please do not equate "do you read the boards" with "you should read the boards." Thank you.

WA, I assure you that I did not equate them. And I think Stitch's post makes very good sense.

samson

Medalist
If I'm not mistaken the ladies SP has begun yes?

I'm trying to find any shreds of info for it online.

gkelly

Record Breaker
So I'm confused about the SP only bit. I've noticed there is some overlap with the sp only event, but is there a reason Broadmoor does a sp only? And I'm curious why a skater would opt to do both. I suppose it's a chance to get even more feedback and get in front of judges before the whole kit and caboodle.

I looked through the announcement and see that at this competition for events with elimination rounds, the initial rounds are freeskate-only and only the final round is short+free combined. So they advise skaters who want to make sure to get to compete their short program to enter the SP-only event.

That seems to be the main reason for its existence here. Skaters may have different reasons for entering it.

Different nonqualifying competitions set things up differently, so skaters may make different decisions at different events.

E.g., another reason to enter a SP-only event is to try out the higher level. Juveniles don't have short programs in qualifying competitions, so it's very common for skaters at that level to prepare and compete in the intermediate SP even though they have no intention of testing up to intermediate that year. (On the other hand, some competitions including Broadmoor Open do offer "Juvenile short program" as its own event, with the same rules as intermediate SP.)

Sometimes skaters compete at two different levels (current test level and one level above) during the summer to decide whether they want to test up before regionals or not. Broadmoor is one of the few that allows skaters to enter the same kind of event at two different levels, so a skater could test out both levels at the same competition. Otherwise they might need to try out the higher level at a different competition than where they compete at their current level.

At some other competitions, a SP-only event might be cheaper to enter than a combined event. So if a skater is only ready to compete the SP, it would make more sense to enter just that event and not pay for a freeskate that they have no intention of skating.

It really depends.

iceskater10

On the Ice
Just watched ladies SP, had to leave before it was over. At that point Bell was 1. Glenn 2. Nagasu 3 ( Stood up on 3A slight UR)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Just watched ladies SP, had to leave before it was over. At that point Bell was 1. Glenn 2. Nagasu 3 ( Stood up on 3A slight UR)

Thx for the eyewitness report, iceskater10 :).

Very cool re Mirai's triple Axel :cool:.

samson

Medalist
Oh man that score sheet makes me want to see video so much more! Looks like it was a strong short program event for such an early season comp.

Also someone reported in addition to Mirai doing the triple axel she also did a triple lutz/triple toe. I wonder if anyone else can back this up?

Looks like Mariah and Miyu were really able to up their ante from the sp only event and Amber was able to hold steady. :)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Major props to all the ladies, especially Mariah for a clean program and Mirai for attempting the 3A! Sounds like an exciting competition so far.

Oh man that score sheet makes me want to see video so much more! Looks like it was a strong short program event for such an early season comp.

Yes, I would loooove videos. Even the shakiest fan cam would be appreciated at this point.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Isn't Mirai's 2A invalidated because of the 3A preceding it? Score could've been way higher if she did a solo triple instead..