The performance that got you hooked | Page 3 | Golden Skate

The performance that got you hooked

keasus

On the Ice
I'm going to age myself. Tiffany Chin's short program in 1984. I was knee deep in ballet and was losing the fun of it. She was brilliant.

HA! You are just a whippersnapper, Liam:laugh2: My love of skating started with Peggy Fleming in the mid 1960s. She was magical. She made it look so easy and natural. I still carry those flickering black/white images in mind when I skate.

semosk8tfan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I am really going to date myself but for me it was Peggy Fleming's Olympic performance. I fell in love with skating and with her.

But what changed me from a casual fan to an uber was the internet: skating videos on youtube, live competitions on sites like icenetwork, and fan sites like FSU. We have come a long way from the snippets we used to get on Wide World of Sports a couple of times a year!

nieves

On the Ice
Fields of Gold by Michelle Kwan at the 2002 Olympics. Then I got back into it with Yuna Kim's Vancouver programs.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Initially I only cared about pairs, especially G & G. Then along came Sasha, and I started watching ladies (Michelle never did it for me, sorry). After that, Johnny's Swan performance made me a big fan.

Now my current obsession is ice dance, rooting for I/Z all the way. I do remember being impressed with the drama of Klimova/Ponamarenko back in the day.

witcher

Match Penalty
Before 2014 - "figure skating? LOL. :laugh:
I may give it a look or two during Olympics, but cmon..." :rolleye:

Then The Girl in Red in Sochi hit me like a ton of bricks and I still can't recover.
I don't think I ever will. :love:

http://tinyurl.com/ntfklrn

PS. Thank you Julienka and happy 17th bithday! :cheer:

Last edited:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
Plushenko Bolero SP WC 2001. Was 7, fell in love with him, fell in love with skating.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Before 2014 - "figure skating? LOL. :laugh:
I may give it a look or two during Olympics, but cmon..." :rolleye:

Then The Girl in Red in Sochi hit me like a ton of bricks and I still can't recover.
I don't think I ever will. :love:

http://tinyurl.com/ntfklrn

PS. Thank you Julienka and happy 17th bithday! :cheer:

She certainly did find a way to appeal to the masses. :points:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Not one specific program, but the men's competition in Vancouver. I was impressed by many of the programs...Plushy, Daisuke, Johnny Weir, Stephane, etc. I was never a "sports person," but I saw that skating was so much more - costumes, music, choreography, performance, and lots of drama :popcorn:

randomfan

Record Breaker
I watched the 2010 Vancouver Olympics while not knowing a thing about figure skating, except that people 'dance' on ice and do things that I can't even do off ice like jumps and spins. I cheered for Yuna Kim mainly because my family was cheering for them. Then I forgot all about figure skating until the 2014 Sochi Olympics when I watched Yuna Kim again. This time I also watched Carolina and Adelina's programs, but Yuna still struck me the most as well as Carolina Kostner, a skater I didn't know at all. When the scandal happened, I got more interested and researched the rules of figure skating and the judging system. Through this, I was able to watch many programs of other skaters recently and in the past to see how they executed an element. From that point on, I became really interested in this sport, and here I am today, on GS forums :popcorn: :agree:

So I was hooked to this sport thanks to Yuna and Carolina's performances at Sochi.

Last edited:

edenlover

On the Ice
For me it was Fleming that caught my eye. It was Janet and Dorothy who made me into a life long, addicted fan. I still watch the old programs--even with the bad vids. And Michelle, well I watched every event she was in, recorded them, and watched the recordings until the tapes sometimes broke. Thank God for you tube, cuz skating just ain't what it used to be.

PS THIS IS A WONDERFUL THREAD

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm a longtime fan... Love Jason's Riverdance of course, Sasha Cohen's montage to Chairman's Waltz from Memoirs of a Geisha, and anything by Johnny Weir
BUT my top favorite remains 2012 Worlds Nice Daisuke Takahashi Blues for Klook https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8YxSJqcLyI
He skated like a demon and like a god....sheer duende!!!

Last edited:

amazingMao

Rinkside
I got hook in this sport due to these performances: (pressed replay button many times in YT)

Yuna Kim's SP (Tango de Roxanne) during World Championship 2007
Mao Asada's FS during World Championship 2007 - a joy to watch

Mao Asada's EX (por una cabeza) during World Championships 2009
Yuna Kim's SP (Danse Macabre) during World Championships 2009

Mao Asada's FS (Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto 2) in Sochi 2014 - gives me goosebumps and tear jerker performance

cl2

Final Flight
The performances that kept me hooked are pretty much everything Mao and everything Kostner. :)

But actually, it wasn't any one performance or skater that got me hooked initially. Instead, it was a series of arguments with fellow commentors on a certain FS news website (not this one), whose vicious cries of "Foul" I couldn't understand, that led me to pore through the IJS rules, and consequently made me invested in the sport. (Why quit when you know more about something than you'll ever need in daily life?)

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
PS THIS IS A WONDERFUL THREAD

:thumbsup:

My family was an every-four-years family so I was too, until 2002 Nationals when I fell in love with Sasha Cohen. I was a fan of her and Johnny Weir, even though I can't point to one specific program. But I would say I was still a pretty casual fan and fell off of it for a few years.

I posted about this in the Jason Brown Fan Fest before, but in November 2013 I was trying to distract myself from some personal stuff and found myself watching NBC's coverage of TEB. I wasn't paying too much attention until Jason Brown's Riverdance came on, and I was hooked. To someone like me who never followed figure skating that closely, the program seemed so innovative that I just had to know more about him. Several Google deep dives later I found Golden Skate.

To be honest I've preferred the skating of several others this season, but Jason will always have a very special place in my heart. I think I'll always be his fan and will root for him no matter what.

yude

Record Breaker
I had been a casual fan of the sport for a long time, but Yuzuru Hanyu's LP at GPF 2011 and his reaction after the ending pose really got me hooked (and now here I am).