Dabin Choi | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Dabin Choi

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Yay! Could Korea move her out of Austria and into an easier one?

I guess KSU will
they need to think carefully with the greater federations also switching out skaters, they need some luck too.
qualifying for the JGPF would be a good push for her to contend for a Worlds spot

paperhearts

Final Flight
Dabin's in fourth after the short in Austria (1.01 points from 3rd). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYoRfhZEg9c She's looking pretty solid, but it's going to be hard to get on the podium if Wakaba :)cry:) can keep it together. Regardless, I wish her the best in the free!

A question: if Dabin (theoretically) gets silver, would she get a pass to the JGPF?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
I think it depends how other competitions will look like. And we have seen yesterday that favourites don't always deliver. Even if fourth palce, Da Bin had a great SP! :cheer:

paperhearts

Final Flight
I think it depends how other competitions will look like. And we have seen yesterday that favourites don't always deliver. Even if fourth palce, Da Bin had a great SP! :cheer:

Oh, yeah, that's true. Off-topic, but I feel sad for the World Junior Bronze medalists. :no: Yeah, true! I think it's a new personal best, .06 points above her previous PB from JGP Riga. She's having a good start to the season, I hope she continues to rise through the ranks.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
A question: if Dabin (theoretically) gets silver, would she get a pass to the JGPF?
It's possible, but I think she'll need a clean free skate (ie. a good score in case of a tie-breaker), and a lot of luck...

I haven't gone too far into the maths/permutations, but it looks to me like too many skaters with gold or silver medals who are likely to get gold/silver in their second competitions. The top Japanese skaters are all in different competitions and won't be knocking each other out, and the same goes for most of the Russians.

Gold/Silver, Gold/Bronze and Silver/Silver will put a skater ahead of Da Bin in qualifying for the final... Gold/4th will win the first tie-breaker against Da Bin... and if any of the current silver medalists wind up with "only" bronze at their second competition, they're still "likely" to win against Da Bin on the second tie-breaker (total of all scores).

It's all academic unless she actually gets a silver medal though!
But you never know. Ice is slippery...!

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Very pleased to see her on the podium again tonight... and new personal best scores.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
For the first time, I am impressed with Dabin... great FS. tad underscored in PCS but that is to be expected, hopefully it give her motivation to improve. She need a better SP, or skate to KPOP something

She is 3rd, she is out of GPF?

randomfan

Record Breaker
For the first time, I am impressed with Dabin... great FS. tad underscored in PCS but that is to be expected, hopefully it give her motivation to improve. She need a better SP, or skate to KPOP something

She is 3rd, she is out of GPF?

I think it's enough to be an alternate.

Congratulations for another bronze Da Bin! I wasn't able to watch the event so I'm a bit sad. But what makes me more sad was that if she was sent to Colorado Springs she would have won and gotten a spot in the final...

paperhearts

Final Flight
Well she didn't get a silver, but I'm happy for her bronze too! Thanks YesWay for anwering my question, I guess going to JGPF seems a bit murky. She has the same medal count as Vivian Le, I think so? If it came down to either of them, who would go?

Regardless, YAY! It's amazing to be on the podium TWO times a row, and Final or not I'm superrr excited for her in her next comps. :cheer2:

Raymond

Rinkside
She has so much better consistency than any other Korean female skaters, I think.
And her strength is that she does not have any particular weak points, IMO.
I hope she will be on a podium in senior competitions too, which is very likely :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
congratulations for 2 more clean skates and bronze medal!! :mad:
i think her weak point is her expression and that weird (for lack of better word) SP of hers isnt helping(maybe if there was no lyrics it would be better cause i cant stand that singer's voice :hopelessness:), but she is making her case and for Korean Championships, other girls (yeah looking at you So Youn) needs to be at their best, keep it together and not make stupid mistakes,

Eclair

Medalist
good for her! :) All jumps were crisp and clean :clap: Now give her better SS and she'll fare great at her senior debut.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
She has the same medal count as Vivian Le, I think so? If it came down to either of them, who would go?
Since they both have 22 total GP points (bronze+bronze)... and the same highest finishing position (3)... it would go to the second tie breaker (total of their scores from two competitions).

Da Bin would win that tie breaker, 340.67 vs 332.38...

paperhearts

Final Flight
Since they both have 22 total GP points (bronze+bronze)... and the same highest finishing position (3)... it would go to the second tie breaker (total of their scores from two competitions).

Da Bin would win that tie breaker, 340.67 vs 332.38...

Thanks! I also found this on the ISU website and you are correct.

I counted Honda (Croatia), Tsurskaya (Poland), Shiraiwa (Spain), Sakamoto (Poland) as possible in-s for the JGPF, so these 4 + Mihara and Sotskova who will be in for sure. It seems that if Wakaba (Croatia) wins her next competition she would win the tie-breaker among her, Dabin, and Le, but with 22 points her position in the JGPF will be very uncertain. Also, if Alisa gets 2nd in Spain, she'd be part of the 22 club and would win over Dabin. Is that right?

Oh well, I guess we'll see in time.

congratulations for 2 more clean skates and bronze medal!! :mad:
i think her weak point is her expression and that weird (for lack of better word) SP of hers isnt helping(maybe if there was no lyrics it would be better cause i cant stand that singer's voice :hopelessness:), but she is making her case and for Korean Championships, other girls (yeah looking at you So Youn) needs to be at their best, keep it together and not make stupid mistakes,

I feel the same; her expression and SS needs some more work but I believe she's on the right track if you compare her to before. As for her SP, I mute the music every time I watch it. I really really don't like it, but I guess with silly music Dabin learns to open up more? :slink: I hope Dabin's rise pushes other S.Koreans to do their best too.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
I feel the same; her expression and SS needs some more work but I believe she's on the right track if you compare her to before. As for her SP, I mute the music every time I watch it. I really really don't like it, but I guess with silly music Dabin learns to open up more? I hope Dabin's rise pushes other S.Koreans to do their best too.
yeah, she is definitely on right track, although i love So Youn's jumps a lot more, Da Bin has better spins and mentality, it would be great to see her at 4CC and Worlds but then she might need to skip Junior worlds and KSU might not want that for spots:think:
btw opss i didnt mean to use ":mad:" but ":cheer:" instead, so once again congratz Da Bin!! :cheer:
about choreo and music, i dont know, maybe to help her open up more but i am sure there are better choices for music haha, her coach seems to be doing some of her student's programs and i cant say i enjoy them that much :slink:

paperhearts

Final Flight
yeah, she is definitely on right track, although i love So Youn's jumps a lot more, Da Bin has better spins and mentality, it would be great to see her at 4CC and Worlds but then she might need to skip Junior worlds and KSU might not want that for spots
btw opss i didnt mean to use "" but "" instead, so once again congratz Da Bin!!
about choreo and music, i dont know, maybe to help her open up more but i am sure there are better choices for music haha, her coach seems to be doing some of her student's programs and i cant say i enjoy them that much

Maybe 4CC and Junior Worlds? I'd love to see her compete in Seniors internationally, but I think she needs to get some brownie points in juniors first. Soyoun is gorgeous when she's on but Dabin is more consistent (perhaps due to less puberty issues) so if both of them are on, Nats will be a treat! :)

True, I very much prefer her LesMis over her SP. :eek:hwell: I'd love to see a more matured Dabin skating to something like Mao's I Got Rhythm for light but not annoying music. Just NOT "Mama, I'm A Big Girl Now". :hopelessness: On the bright side, her music has brought her two bronze JGP medals.

paperhearts

Final Flight
Hm, I don't think Dabin will get a chance to go to JGPF this season in light of the JGP Logrono results. :hopelessness: But I'm so happy that Dabin managed to get on the podium(!!) at both of her events. Yay! I hope we get to see her sooner than Korean Nats though. I cannot wait until then!