2015-16 Grand Prix pre-assignments & predictions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix pre-assignments & predictions

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I wouldn't bet on that one - NHK and COR are back-to-back, and usually skaters choose their GPs so that they can take a 'rest' in between their assignments. At least the higher ranking skaters can usually do that.
Of those skaters who have medalled at Worlds, gold medallists get to choose their GP events first, then silver medallists choose, and bronze medallists just get the two events that are left. So, Fernandez gets to choose first, and Hanyu can choose from the four events that are left. But I think if he is a host pick at NKH, Fernandez can't choose it even though he is the gold medallist.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do not read or speak Japanese, but I believe that Jason Brown's Japanese Fan club Twitter feed is also posting predictions as to Jason's GP assignments. I think Skate America and TEB are winning, although of course his Japanese fans want NHK:

https://twitter.com/JasonBrownJPFan/status/608502912533311488

But the best part is, Bing Translate keeps translating Skate America as "Scare me". Took me a while to figure it out, but I think I like Scare Me better:laugh2:

Layback11

Record Breaker
I do not read or speak Japanese, but I believe that Jason Brown's Japanese Fan club Twitter feed is also posting predictions as to Jason's GP assignments. I think Skate America and TEB are winning, although of course his Japanese fans want NHK:

https://twitter.com/JasonBrownJPFan/status/608502912533311488

But the best part is, Bing Translate keeps translating Skate America as "Scare me". Took me a while to figure it out, but I think I like Scare Me better:laugh2:

How fitting...sometimes skating really does Scare Me! (Luckily, not often!):laugh2:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

I think Cup of China would be better suited to that name...the first GP I check when the spreadsheets come out is CoC, always hoping that none of my favourites are assigned there. Sorry Chinese skating fans, but way too much freaky stuff happens at that event.

I think Jason will certainly get SkAm. Max and Josh have both been to SkCan before, but I can't envisage the USFS being too keen to put its top men head-to-head too early (though they did pit Max and Jason against each other at CoR last year). I'd like to see Josh at Skate America, to be honest; he still has the invisibility problem.

Holding out hope that Artur gets a host pick at CoR, so that he can continue his Liza-style comeback. I think Jason may end up in Japan - he's got potential for a huge fanbase there, and the Japanese fed will assume he won't be able to challenge Hanyu (especially with home-ice scores for the latter). Liza - the feds will be fighting to have her. I mean, it's not everyday you can promote, come see the only triple Axel in ladies' skating!

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I surprisingly haven't been jump about it yesterday and today so far. Probably because of studying for biochemistry and news I heard relating to a band I like that left me out of focus took over my brain. But I'm still excited in my heart.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just a reminder of how GP selection works:

First of all, HOST PICKS take first preference. That means, for example, if NHK picks Miyahara (Seed #2), #1 Tuktamysheva and #3 Radionova can't skate there. For sure, Ashley Wagner (Seed #5) will get SA, so Gracie Gold (#4) and Hongo (#5) can't skate there.

Other than that, the top two seeds CAN make their preferences known and they are usually honored by the host federations. It's been reported that Mishin has stated that Tuktamysheva wants SC and TEB, so as Seed #1, she will get those choices. Since Radionova presumably has been host-picked for CoR, and Miyahara for NHK, as Seed #2, Miyahara can choose SA or CoC as her second event. Radionova gets whichever event Miyahara didn't pick as her second event.

Seeds #4-6 are chosen by the hosts, who draw lot for first pick. Where they skate is all in the luck of the draw (and as stated above, host pick limitations). Skater preference is not taken into account for these seeds,

All other categories (Worlds 7-12, top 24 SB, top 24 WR, returning skaters, etc.) are chosen by hosts, using the draw by lot to determine who gets first pick for each category.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

First of all, HOST PICKS take first preference. That means, for example, if NHK picks Miyahara (Seed #2), #1 Tuktamysheva and #3 Radionova can't skate there. For sure, Ashley Wagner (Seed #5) will get SA, so Gracie Gold (#4) and Hongo (#5) can't skate there.

Other than that, the top two seeds CAN make their preferences known and they are usually honored by the host federations. It's been reported that Mishin has stated that Tuktamysheva wants SC and TEB, so as Seed #1, she will get those choices. Since Radionova presumably has been host-picked for CoR, and Miyahara for NHK, as Seed #2, Miyahara can choose SA or CoC as her second event. Radionova gets whichever event Miyahara didn't pick as her second event.

Seeds #4-6 are chosen by the hosts, who draw lot for first pick. Where they skate is all in the luck of the draw (and as stated above, host pick limitations). Skater preference is not taken into account for these seeds,

All other categories (Worlds 7-12, top 24 SB, top 24 WR, returning skaters, etc.) are chosen by hosts, using the draw by lot to determine who gets first pick for each category.

Thank you, chuckm :). I was hoping that you would summarize the procedure for this thread before tomorrow's announcement.

The USFS site has an ancient (2004) article about the GP selection procedure.
Although some numbers in the article are out of date, some of the basic principles of the selection procedure remain the same. The introductory paragraph emphasizes what chuckm says above:
One of the biggest misconceptions is that each country assigns its own skaters to the six Grand Prix events. Beyond a host country's selections for its own event, this is not accurate under the guidelines for this selection process, which was first used last year. Host countries choose skaters for their events based on the draw procedure outlined in this article.

The article stresses also the multiple draws that are held to determine the order in which the hosting feds get to make picks within different categories of skaters (seeded skaters; skaters 7th thru 12th at Worlds; skaters above a certain placement in the ISU World Standings; etc.).
Remember, choice of skaters is often based on draw order. The first country in the draw order will have more skaters available to choose from than the country that draws sixth for that particular round.

I don't know a lot about sports in general, but the result would seem to be a lot of moving parts not unlike the NFL draft or NBA draft -- which unfold with a mixture of non-surprises and surprises.
A hosting fed can't be sure that the next skater it wants still will be available when the fed's next turn to pick rolls around.

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
Okay, it's my turn now...

SKATE AMERICA

Ashley, Jason and, Alexa & Chris, and Madison & Evan get host-picked (seeds #5, #4, #6 and #2). Elena (seed #3), Denis (seed #3), Peng/Zhang (#3) and Gilles/Poirier (seed #6) finish out the seeds.

SKATE CANADA

Nam (seed #5), Meagan & Eric (seed #1) and Kaitlyn & Andrew (seed #3) get host-picked. Gracie (seed #4), Javier (seed #1), Kavaguti/Smirnov (seed #4) and Shibutani/Shibutani (seed #5) finish out the seeds.

CUP OF CHINA

Sui & Han (seed #2) get host-picked. Yuzuru (seed #2), Nam (seed #5), Elizaveta (seed #1), Rika (seed #6), Papadakis/Cizeron (seed #1), Capellini/Lanotte (seed #4), and Tarasova/Morozov (seed #5) finish out the seeds.

CUP OF RUSSIA/ROSTELECOM CUP

Elena (seed #3) and Kavaguti/Smirnov (seed #4) get host-picked. Ashley (seed #5), Javier (seed #1), Misha (seed #6), Peng/Zhang (seed #3), Tarasova/Morozov (seed #5), Chock/Bates (seed #2) and Gilles/Poirier finish out the seeds.

TROPHEE ERIC BOMPARD

Gabriella & Guillame (Seed #1) get host-picked. Satoko (seed #2), Rika (seed #6), Denis (seed #3), Jason (seed #4), Sui/Han (seed #2), Tarasova/Morozov (seed #5) and Capellini/Lanotte (seed #4) finish out the seeds.

NHK TROPHY

Satoko (seed #2) and Yuzuru (seed #2) get host-picked. Gracie (seed #4), Misha (seed #6), Duhamel/Radford (seed #1), Scimeca/Knierim (seed #6), Weaver/Poje (seed #3) and Shibutani/Shibutani (seed #5) finish out the seeds.

winky97

Medalist

This whole thing makes my head hurt! I have tickets to SA and Worlds. I have debated going to SC, but that's a lot of coin this year for skating. Maybe I will go to SC too depending on the skater line up. I am hoping to see Radionova and Tuktamyesheva this year (kicking myself hard for not going to SA last year particularly since it was in my home town). Hopefully Radionova will come back to SA.

So am I understanding correctly, the seed is determine by World Championship results, not by World standing?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes. Seeds are based on finish at 2015 Worlds:

MEN
1 Javier FERNANDEZ ESP
2 Yuzuru HANYU JPN
3 Denis TEN KAZ
4 Jason BROWN USA
5 Nam NGUYEN CAN
6 Misha GE UZB

LADIES
1 Elizaveta TUKTAMYSHEVA RUS
2 Satoko MIYAHARA JPN
3 Elena RADIONOVA RUS
4 Gracie GOLD USA
5 Ashley WAGNER USA
6 Rika HONGO JPN

PAIRS
1 Meagan DUHAMEL / Eric RADFORD CAN
2 Wenjing SUI / Cong HAN CHN
4 Cheng PENG / Hao ZHANG CHN
5 Yuko KAVAGUTI / Alexander SMIRNOV RUS
6 Evgenia TARASOVA / Vladimir MOROZOV RUS
7 Alexa SCIMECA / Chris KNIERIM USA
Note: PANG/TONG CHN were 3rd, but they retired after Worlds

ICE DANCE
1 Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON FRA
2 Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES USA
3 Kaitlin WEAVER / Andrew POJE CAN
4 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA
5 Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI USA
6 Piper GILLES / Paul POIRIER CAN

Aren't pairs and dance limited to Worlds 7-10 for selection? Men's and ladies are 6-12.

Also the order is SA, SC, COC, TEB, COR, NHK - for those making super last minute predictions.