2015-16 Grand Prix pre-assignments & predictions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix pre-assignments & predictions

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Girl...we ALL wish we knew. Heck if I knew already I would have it in my countdown app on my phone. But I don't. Which I wish I did.

So in short. We have no idea.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Girl...we ALL wish we knew. Heck if I knew already I would have it in my countdown app on my phone. But I don't. Which I wish I did.

So in short. We have no idea.

If it's going by federation, it would be at midnight mountain time in the US, because the USFSA is headquartered in Colorado Springs (mountain time). But it's probably on the ISU time, and who knows what that means...

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If it's going by federation, it would be at midnight mountain time in the US, because the USFSA is headquartered in Colorado Springs (mountain time). But it's probably on the ISU time, and who knows what that means...

It's already close to 4 am in Switzerland.....Soooooo

Okay I still have 4 hours to stay awake. Meh not a problem. I can stay up late lol.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Okay, it's my turn now...

SKATE AMERICA

Ashley, Jason and, Alexa & Chris, and Madison & Evan get host-picked (seeds #5, #4, #6 and #2). Elena (seed #3), Denis (seed #3), Peng/Zhang (#3) and Gilles/Poirier (seed #6) finish out the seeds.

SKATE CANADA

Nam (seed #5), Meagan & Eric (seed #1) and Kaitlyn & Andrew (seed #3) get host-picked. Gracie (seed #4), Javier (seed #1), Kavaguti/Smirnov (seed #4) and Shibutani/Shibutani (seed #5) finish out the seeds.

CUP OF CHINA

Sui & Han (seed #2) get host-picked. Yuzuru (seed #2), Nam (seed #5), Elizaveta (seed #1), Rika (seed #6), Papadakis/Cizeron (seed #1), Capellini/Lanotte (seed #4), and Tarasova/Morozov (seed #5) finish out the seeds.

You really think Yuzuru would pick COC after what happened last time? :unsure: And Liza is doing Skate Canada and TEB, according to Mishin.

Okay, guys: any last minute GP assignment wishes before the big reveal?

Either Javi or Yuzuru at Skate America. And at least one Russian silver fox. :p

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know what exact time the announcement is at?

Very unpredictable, IMO.

Last year, the ISU had not officially published any links to the assignment charts, but one resourceful fan figured out the link to the GP chart for one of the disciplines. The link for that one discipline showed up on Twitter (but not from @ISU_Reporter, obviously) and was posted here at GS.
Using that URL as a model, HanDomi (IIRC) here at GS figured out the link for a second discipline.
We had figured out the URLs for all four disciplines before the ISU officially posted any of them.

And then another wrinkle was that the official ISU chart for at least one discipline had an old date/time stamp, which caused some uncertainty as to whether it really was the final version of the assignments.

Anyway, all of the above took place after 3 pm ET last year. (3 PM -- not a typo.)
But I believe in previous years, the ISU has posted the official links many hours earlier.

Thus my opinion that the exact timing is highly unpredictable.

In the past, federations have not published assignments for their skaters or for their events until after the ISU officially has posted the charts for all events and all skaters.

Last edited:

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
Not necessarily a prediction, but I'd like to see Mariah Bell at Skate America! She was the 5th place finisher at US Nats (6th, but Sammi Cesario's retirement bumps her up a spot if the US is looking at placements for host picks) and I've come to really enjoy her skating this past season!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I should have noted above that last year's selection meeting was in Las Vegas -- which perhaps was the reason for the relatively late hour at which the assignments came to light.

This year's selection meeting is in Geneva -- so perhaps the assignments will come out much earlier.

Aren't pairs and dance limited to Worlds 7-10 for selection? Men's and ladies are 6-12.

Also the order is SA, SC, COC, TEB, COR, NHK - for those making super last minute predictions.

Thank you. :)

Layback11

Record Breaker
It's already close to 4 am in Switzerland.....Soooooo

Okay I still have 4 hours to stay awake. Meh not a problem. I can stay up late lol.

I am, unfortunately, still afflicted by the eville horrures of the curfewe...and spelling wrong to make myself sound fancy and medieval. :p so I'd guess it's on Colorado Springs time, which means I'll miss it unless I break curfew (which is 9:30, although I won't get killed unless it's after 10:15, as a general rule...). Ah, the moral dilemmas of a figure skating fan!:laugh2:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I am, unfortunately, still afflicted by the eville horrures of the curfewe...and spelling wrong to make myself sound fancy and medieval. :p so I'd guess it's on Colorado Springs time, which means I'll miss it unless I break curfew (which is 9:30, although I won't get killed unless it's after 10:15, as a general rule...). Ah, the moral dilemmas of a figure skating fan!:laugh2:

Again, the assignments will come first from the ISU. Not from USFS. If history is any guide.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Not necessarily a prediction, but I'd like to see Mariah Bell at Skate America! She was the 5th place finisher at US Nats (6th, but Sammi Cesario's retirement bumps her up a spot if the US is looking at placements for host picks) and I've come to really enjoy her skating this past season!

ME TOO! Especially because I'm probably going! Not only is she a great skater who's quickly become one of my favorites, she's also one of the nicest (I met her at nationals, and my dad and I chatted with her and her mom for almost ten minutes, during which she was super nice!). Although I also want Karen Chen (who I also met-she seemed a little scared because she was basically being mobbed in a hotel lobby by literally dozens of screaming teenagers) to be there, and only one of them would be host picked...and that's if you don't count Hannah Miller, who I also would like to see again! So many host picks I want to see! In dance, I'm hoping they send Hawayek & Baker and in pairs, Aaron & Settlage and/or Denney & Frazier. Not sure about men.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Again, the assignments will come first from the ISU. Not from USFS. If history is any guide.

Well, I'm 9 hours ahead of Switzerland, so if it came out at 3 PM again (not saying it will! Just speculation), it would be 7 where I live, and I would've already been awake for at least an hour. So that's reasonable (provided it happens like it did last year). Again, not saying it will!

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
ME TOO! Especially because I'm probably going! Not only is she a great skater who's quickly become one of my favorites, she's also one of the nicest (I met her at nationals, and my dad and I chatted with her and her mom for almost ten minutes, during which she was super nice!). Although I also want Karen Chen (who I also met-she seemed a little scared because she was basically being mobbed in a hotel lobby by literally dozens of screaming teenagers) to be there, and only one of them would be host picked...and that's if you don't count Hannah Miller, who I also would like to see again! So many host picks I want to see! In dance, I'm hoping they send Hawayek & Baker and in pairs, Aaron & Settlage and/or Denney & Frazier. Not sure about men.
Mariah seems like such a sweetie! I can't go, since I'm from MA (I'll probably be able to go to Boston for Worlds) but I just want to see her in a GP! And is Karen going senior already? I'd love to see her there either way, but I'd be fine if she decided to take another year on the junior circuit! Hannah Miller is also one of my favorites. The US has so many great ladies!

For dance and pairs, I'd love to see Hawayek/Baker and Denney/Frazier. They had two of the best programs in their respective disciplines!

(Also, so cool that you got to meet Mariah! I'm jealous!)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Then, would you happen to know anything of the whereabouts of those announcements?

The little that I know about JGPs:

The JGP entries are published event by event. Not the whole series at once.
[And the entries just quietly show up on the ISU event page for successive JGPs. Knowledgeable fans (unlike myself) can predict pretty well when to expect them, but no date is announced in advance for when the entries for a certain JGP will show up.]

Mind you, the entry process for JGPs is very different than for GPs.

As discussed above, the host federations for GPs have most of the control over who competes at their events.

But not so for JGPs, if I understand correctly.
Team USA, for instance, qualified for a certain number of slots per discipline for each JGP.
And Team USA chooses which of its skaters fill the JGP slots at each event.
Same for other federations.

If you're really interested, you could start by checking the announcements for each of the JGPs (they're all posted on the ISU site). Each announcement has a date by which entries are supposed to be finalized. And in each case, I think the entry lists will not be posted at least until after that date has passed??

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
You mean 9 hours behind Switzerland? ;)

Oh, sorry, yes;) I'm really bad at calculating time changes. I was trying to figure out the 4CCs schedule last year and then I was just like "forget it, this is pointless..." The date line was the killer there, but even without it, it's really confusing.