2015-16 Grand Prix pre-assignments & predictions | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2015-16 Grand Prix pre-assignments & predictions

actualrealliveanna

On the Ice
The little that I know about JGPs:

The JGP entries are published event by event. Not the whole series at once.
[And the entries just quietly show up on the ISU event page for successive JGPs. Knowledgeable fans (unlike myself) can predict pretty well when to expect them, but no date is announced in advance for when the entries for a certain JGP will show up.
Ah, yes. I checked the ISU website and it looked like the entry forms were made available on June 2nd. This is only my second season as a hardcore fan, so I'm still not sure on a lot of the dates, though I know of the selection process.

Any idea where you might be able to see how many skaters a federation qualified per event?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Then, would you happen to know anything of the whereabouts of those announcements?

There is no grand announcement for JGP like there is for the Senior GP. Each JGP releases its entry list individually. IIRC, it's 30 days from the start of each JGP that we find out who is going. For long-term juniors, some patterns do emerge - for example, Jason ALWAYS went to JGP Courchevel.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ah, yes. I checked the ISU website and it looked like the entry forms were made available on June 2nd. This is only my second season as a hardcore fan, so I'm still not sure on a lot of the dates, though I know of the selection process.

Any idea where you might be able to see how many skaters a federation qualified per event?

Answer to your question:
IIRC, charts showing the number of slots per discipline for the various countries are in the announcement document for the whole JGP series.
It too is on the ISU site -- was published in April.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Not necessarily a prediction, but I'd like to see Mariah Bell at Skate America! She was the 5th place finisher at US Nats (6th, but Sammi Cesario's retirement bumps her up a spot if the US is looking at placements for host picks) and I've come to really enjoy her skating this past season!

I actually think there is a pretty strong chance of that happening to be honest. She made a huge splash at Nationals, they would be wise to get her out there and that is her best bet.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
If there's no one at SA worth seeing (or rather that I'm a big fan of), I suppose I will just have to actually start saving for Worlds.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
If there's no one at SA worth seeing (or rather that I'm a big fan of), I suppose I will just have to actually start saving for Worlds.

I'm choosing Worlds over SA. With so many comebacks, it should be an incredible competition. Getting to SA and tickets is already a big hassle (money wise), might as well go all out for a major competition.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The roster for the first JGP should be published on the ISU site somewhere around July 20th.

samson

Medalist
So apologies if this has already been dissected but I thought I'd do some google sleuthing I GOTTA KNOW!! And I noticed David Molina's tweet from April 28th that said the assignments would be decided during a selection meeting on June 15th.

https://twitter.com/_david_molina/status/592994693518069760

I've got to assume that a lot of the groundwork for this meeting has already happened... this process sounds a little too finicky for just one meeting to be all it takes to put these assignments together, but we might have to wait until the end of the day in Geneva before we can expect to hear anything. :drama:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So apologies if this has already been dissected but I thought I'd do some google sleuthing I GOTTA KNOW!! And I noticed David Molina's tweet from April 28th that said the assignments would be decided during a selection meeting on June 15th.

https://twitter.com/_david_molina/status/592994693518069760

I've got to assume that a lot of the groundwork for this meeting has already happened... this process sounds a little too finicky for just one meeting to be all it takes to put these assignments together, but we might have to wait until the end of the day in Geneva before we can expect to hear anything. :drama:

Yes. the ISU has a meeting every year for this purpose.

FWIW:
As mentioned above, last year the meeting was in Las Vegas, and the assignments started trickling out before 4 pm Eastern Time.
Las Vegas is on Pacific Time -- so 1 pm PT.​

Last edited:

samson

Medalist
^That's good to know. The ISU website has now included links to the grand prix assignments for this season, but they take you to a page which says "No Data Available". Still, that's new from what was up 30 minutes ago. So either that's a sign that news is coming shortly, or we're gonna have to wait with that terrible tease for another several hours hahah!

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
my wish is to see Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Richard Dornbush, Riona Kato and Mariah Bell having 2 assignments, not sure if its just wishfull thinking or it can be possible since selection process seems complex :biggrin:
i also agree that Yuzu and Javi will choose SA/SC but no idea how they will choose their 2nd events, to our surprise Javi might want NHK (since its becoming his 3rd home XD ) and yuzuru might go to europe

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I suspect it will happen while I am asleep, so I will have a lot to catch up on in the morning.

Leaving this link here: so far clicking on the standings says "no data available".

Last edited:

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
my wish is to see Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Richard Dornbush, Riona Kato and Mariah Bell having 2 assignments, not sure if its just wishfull thinking or it can be possible since selection process seems complex :biggrin:
i also agree that Yuzu and Javi will choose SA/SC but no idea how they will choose their 2nd events, to our surprise Javi might want NHK (since its becoming his 3rd home XD ) and yuzuru might go to europe

But Yuzuru is their National Champion so if he's host picked by JSF Javi won't be able to choose NHK. Though if he does go it would be a surprise :)

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
But Yuzuru is their National Champion so if he's host picked by JSF Javi won't be able to choose NHK. Though if he does go it would be a surprise :)

this is giving me headache :laugh: so host pick has priority? well, i was just speculating, and who knows, maybe they will choose Javi instead of Yuzu(very unlikely), that would be fun :laugh2: