Nathan Chen | Page 766 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

May1

Spectator
Actually you're right, I just looked this up and in an earlier ISU interview '' and he says

"I guess, the story of the piece is different to what I was trying to interpret – it has a lot more layers to it. The music is the soundtrack to a movie called “Desierto” and the movie is about immigration into the US. Obviously, I don’t want to make my programs about this or anything political but, at the same time, just because it has that deep and darker meaning requires me to add another layer to my skating,” he explained."

nvm, he didn't seem like he wanted to ground his program with the meaning behind the song

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Some fans have tried to infer his political beliefs based on things like not visiting the White House, and this program. But seems that they are just speculating, really.

May1

Spectator
It appears some fans have tried to infer his political beliefs based on things like not visiting the White House, and this program. But seems that they are just speculating, really.

That's true, I think I wanted to believe it as well LOL but thanks for squashing these rumors.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Raf interview: https://rsport.ria.ru/20190325/1552068601.html

After the triumphant performance in Saitama, Nathan Chen, who became world champion for the second time in a row, winning the world record, his coach Rafael Harutyunyan told Elena Vaitsekhovskaya why he did not consider the result of the student a record, recalled the unwritten rules of figure skating and admitted that he two pipe dreams

- Is it true that Nathan was going to come to you on a vacation from Yale to be able to spend a week of training under your leadership, and that you refused him?
- Yes, everything really happened that way. Then Chen's friend told me in confidence that Nathan could not come to himself for a long time after our conversation, he really felt hurt. But then I realized that I was right.

- What exactly?
- The fact is that if he came to California, he would have left all of himself there on the ice. Put yourself in his place: a person trains most of the season on his own, receiving instructions on Skype, then comes to the coach, and ...

- And he climbs out of his way, proudly showing what a good fellow he is?
- Exactly. And I needed Nathan to keep it all in himself before coming to Saitama. But when we met him in Japan, he listened to me in training as never before. I caught every word, fulfilled all wishes. At one of the trainings, I forbade him to jump, and he spent the entire session, just riding. Imagine that? Chen, who did not make a single jump. Why it was necessary, I, perhaps, I will not say - let it remain my coaching secret.

- In my practice, there was a case when the coach in the same way forbade me to perform jumps on the warm-up before a responsible tournament. And later she explained that I was too close, in her opinion, crept up to the peak of a competitive form, and it was necessary to somehow “slow down” the process in order not to throw out the energy ahead of time.
-“You yourself have found the right answer.” Well, during the trainings in Japan, we made some corrections in the short and free programs, refreshed some techniques.

- It turns out that Chen's departure from California to Yale and his independent training there played an extremely positive role?
- Not. The athlete can be kept afloat, and can progress. What you see now in the performance of Nathan, is precisely keeping yourself afloat. He continues to do what he has long been taught, that's all.

- And you are a big insolent, as I can see. Your student beats the world record, winning what is called a "tram stop" at the two-time Olympic champion Yuzuru Hania, and this is called "keep afloat"?
-“It doesn’t matter who wins who and how much.” Many athletes have added very much this season. I think that Nathan and I could add, but this did not happen. Another question is that he has become more educated and psychologically mature through study. At university, Chen is studying statistics, when we met, he showed me some of his best practices and said: "Coach, I now understand why you forced me to do items a certain number of times." We at one time passed at the Institute of Physical Education and anatomy, and physiology, and the basics of training, and mathematical statistics, by the way. And in America, the guys in this regard are not too educated. Therefore, I was glad that Chen began to talk differently with me, began to understand things differently.

- It’s easier to work with an adult athlete?
- With the educated - yes. If a person is a fool, there is no difference whether he is small or adult.

- At the Olympic Games in Phenchkhane, Chen performed six quadruple jumps in a free program. In Saitam - four, in connection with which I remembered your words that you need to be extremely rational in approaching your speech. Where is the border of this rationality? And should we continue to pursue the number of ultra-complex elements in the framework of the new rules that are so severely punished for mistakes?
- I consider that it is necessary not to think about the rules, but to do what you yourself consider necessary. There are rules for breaking them. Do not break, then you are the same as everyone else. Why am I going to teach my athlete to be like everyone else? In addition, the rules are written by people who do not always understand the intricacies of our business. Nathan and I were reproached for quite some time, for example, that in a free program we had a run-jump. I asked another question. He asked: "Do you want Chen to cleanly perform all his quad jumps and at the same time wink to the judges?" Well, yes, we almost did it in the short program, but there you can afford it, because the program is short. There are jumps in it, which Nathan does with a very high degree of reliability.

- This did not prevent him to disrupt the short program in Pkhenchkhane.
- Uh, no, here you are wrong. In Pkhenchkhane Nathan jumped Lutz and flip, and this, I would say, mutually exclusive things. Because the combination of these jumps greatly changes the program. In an arbitrary easier, there is more time. And to insert a lutz and a flip into a short program is a disaster for any athlete. And you certainly won't dance at the same time.

- Is it even necessary to strive to achieve maximum complexity?
- I would answer this way: it became extremely dangerous to take risks in the current system of rules. But who does not risk, he does not drink champagne.

- I remember with what piety you treated Michelle Kwan, when she came to your group - you looked at her as if you were a celestial being. Now the whole world is looking at Yuzuru Hanya like that. You as a coach did not put pressure on him? There was no feeling that this does not beat, no matter how you fight?
- I'm actually a very big fan of Hania. I even have his autograph, which I took as a fan. It was at some competitions where Nathan won for the first time. Yuzuru is certainly very charismatic, but I have not and never have the feeling that he cannot be beaten. In Saitama, by the way, an interesting situation arose when in a free program after Khan’s speech and before Chen's going out the ice was thrown with toys and not cleaned for a long time.

- It is strongly confuses the mood of the one who will perform next?
- For this just need to be ready. But it's not that. At some point I glanced at Nathan, who was rolling in the center of the ice, and saw that he was smiling very eloquently at me with his eyes. I immediately understood what he was thinking. We had to skate three times in different tournaments right after Hania, and Nathan beat him all three times. In Saitama, I also understood that Chen and I had better quality elements than Haniah. Therefore, I was not surprised by the final result.

- Plans for further study from Chen have not changed?
- I offered him to take a sabbatical, starting in December, but I do not think it will be easy to reconcile at the university. If we manage to take such a vacation, there is hope that Nathan will progress. Do not take it - everything can be much more complicated. In the summer he will come to me for three months, but at the expense of only one summer job you will not go far. If we start work next May after the school year ends, there is too little time left to prepare for the Olympics.

“It seems to me that the current level of Chen allows him to hold out on this baggage for a long time.
- I do not agree. I would like to see in his interpretation completely different programs. According to the execution of elements, by construction. Now, what's the buzz? I went, jumped, left. He jumped again, rode out again. Well, yes, jumped cool. But get tired of looking at this skating.

zebobes

Final Flight
Raf's interview is definitely fascinating. I find it a little confusing/amusing that Nathan and Raf have two different perspectives on why he stayed at Yale during spring break. Nathan said it was to keep the others training for World's from getting sick, and from Raf's perspective, he didn't let Nathan go back to train because he thought it would be better for Nathan's mentality and performance. I also am amused by how Raf's comments on Nathan's education and intelligence.

I remember back at 2017 Helsinki worlds, there was a practice session where Nathan jumped quad after quad after quad. Did he do that without Raf's blessing then? Or has Raf's strategy changed? Jackie Wong mentioned that Nathan's improvements over this past week in practice was amazing, and it sounds like Raf thinks that Nathan really paid attention and got every little tip and reminder that Raf gave. It looks like one benefit from being away from Raf is that Nathan now realizes and understands the reasons behind a lot of Raf's instructions in the past. I think it will be fascinating to see what his school schedule ends up looking like next season.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Hersh article: By any measure, Nathan Chen’s performance at Worlds matches standard for transcendent greatness

“I can’t put it into perspective because I do not understand how he can go to school, train all those quads and then perform so well – AND do it like it was nothing,” Kurt Browning of Canada, a four-time world champion, said in a text message Saturday after watching Chen win his second straight world title. “He looked so calm and made winning Worlds look ‘easy.’”

“Incredible,” Olympic and two-time world champion Brian Boitano of the U.S. said via telephone. “And the way he did it – the composure, pacing, strength, focus. It has all fallen into place for him in a year.”

One was left to wonder if that was how Chen skated in his dreams of the ultimate performances?

“Of course,” he told me in an interview a couple hours after it was over. “That is exactly what I have trained for, everything I have wanted from skating. It’s amazing to have it actually come true.” Chen became the first U.S. skater to win consecutive men’s singles world titles since Scott Hamilton took his last of four straight in 1984. Said Hamilton, via text: “Nathan is consistently performing at a level I never thought possible.”

Shae-Lynn Bourne, the Canadian ice dance world champion who choreographed Chen’s short programs the past two seasons, said she has concentrated on getting him to share his personality with the audience and the judges by expressing himself and the program’s story in every movement.

“If you start from that place, people will feel something,” Bourne said. “They won’t just see it as going from element to element.

“It’s not easy to really share something of your personality. Nathan was willing to try from the first time we worked together. Each time I see him, it comes out even more.

“It’s like it is all clicking, and because it’s all clicking, he is starting to cover all the (PCS) bases, to show the whole package. It’s not just the steps but how he does the steps, the presence in each step. It’s not just doing the jumps but how he goes in and how he lands and goes out of the jumps. It’s the ride of the blade so it doesn’t feel like he is setting up for jumps: they just arrive. It’s affecting everything about how people see him and perceive him on the ice.”

A lot more interesting things from the article that I won't quote, so be sure to read the whole thing.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I swear that this thread should be renamed The Encyclopedia of Nathan Chen. I don't know if you've realized it, but you're basically creating a historical record of his competitive career. I think anyone writing an article or a book about him should go through the thread for research purposes.

You guys do not miss anything. I just come here and I know exactly what's going on with Nathan. :clap::bow:

GGFan

Record Breaker

How did the world not stop spinning for a minute while this picture was taken!?!? Two of my favorite people in skating together!! :love::yahoo:

discode

Final Flight
Good article from Phil. Raf feeling complete happiness about a skater's performance for the first time in 44 years sounds about right. :laugh:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
From Yale Daily News: https://twitter.com/yaledailynews/status/1110164284657582080?s=21
Despite his coaching staff being across the country and Yale classes eating into his precious practice time, Nathan Chen ’22 remains the world’s best male figure skater.

Practice photos wearing light gray shirt: https://twitter.com/3flip3loop/status/1110015271878582274?s=21

photos from the FS small medal ceremony:
https://twitter.com/noenoe28/status/1110196224236249088?s=21

Cute fan art of the medalists:
https://twitter.com/nehcwnahtan/status/1110133427565531138?s=21

Nathan’s IG stories:
https://twitter.com/nathanchen_us/status/1110121333122174977?s=21
https://twitter.com/nathanchen_us/status/1110121706453000192?s=21

Jean-Luc’s IG story - missing the third musketeer:
https://twitter.com/nathanchen_us/status/1110122264828112896?s=21

#MondayMotivation:
https://twitter.com/teamusa/status/1110200770631290881?s=21

Next To Me spread eagle - his lines:luv17:
http://wfc2019.jp/canonphotogallery/images/0324/190324_175132_A29I4546_YW.jpg

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Raf’s Russian interviews are certainly always revealing. I think Nathan’s practice and pacing has evolved over the years - seems that they both learned lessons from the Olympics, and now Nathan is using his practice time on the ice more effectively and efficiently. Also he’s matured and seems to be following Raf’s instruction and plans exactly - rather than being rebellious at times.

While it was kinda sad to read that Nathan felt hurt when Raf wouldn’t allow him to come back for pre-worlds training, it turned out to be the right choice. Raf managed to get Nathan to peak condition exactly when he needed to, right before the SP.

No wonder Nathan was noncommital about his school plans for next year - Raf doesn’t want him to stay at Yale past December.

Also it was nice to hear in the CBC interview that he had more time for ‘fun with friends’ this semester and got to enjoy the regular college experience!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Phil Hersh: ‘No matter which standard we use, absolute or relative, what Nathan Chen did in winning the 2019 World Figure Skating Championships in Japan was transcendent greatness.’

Raf: ‘He should skate better than that’

‘Now, what's the buzz? I went, jumped, left. He jumped again, rode out again. Well, yes, jumped cool. But get tired of looking at this skating.’ :p

discode

Final Flight
It's interesting how non-Nathan fans are more interested in what Raf says than Nathan fans. People twisting Raf's words to hate on Nathan is seriously annoying. He's not saying anything bad about him. He is very happy with him, but thinks Nathan could do more.

And I agree, it was the right choice not to go back to Cali and leave everything on the practice rink. I think he would have as well, trying to please Raf.

I can't really disagree with Raf about not past December. He'd know best. Nathan wants to listen to Raf now and it serves him well to do so, but it's a complicated situation for him. I still worry about him getting hurt training on his own.

He also mentioned he wants to work hard to maintain the position he's now in. Winning this worlds against Hanyu is a bit of a turning point for him as far as he's perceived to me.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Raf wants Nathan to have done/improved more this year. But I think this season - even if in Raf’s words, was just Nathan holding on - was the right way to go - in terms of adjusting to the new rules, pacing towards 2022, and giving Nathan’s body a bit of a break from the super intense training of the Olympic season.

Being at Yale has been so great for Nathan personally, I feel a bit sad if he has not much time left there (for now). But then again, leaving after December would only be one semester less than the two years that Nathan was intending.

Sad that people are using Raf’s words against Nathan.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
From Executive Vice President of Utah Jazz: https://twitter.com/donstirling801/status/1110059547689775104?s=21
�� to @nathanwchen on back-to-back World Championship gold! Keep on reppin’ @utahjazz and @spidadmitchell. Thanks for the good vibes and we’ll see you during the Playoffs. And ��to @aaronfalk for an insightful look inside the best figure skater on the planet. #TeamisEverything⁠