Nathan Chen | Page 101 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I don't dislike his FS costume outside of the white zipper (scuba diving suits are great!). It's the SP one that makes me :slink: the most. Edit: And the preponderance of black across both programs.

I am hesitate to say that maybe “black” is intentional, maybe black is Nathan BOI's favorite color:biggrin:

Also, there is a "hidden" concept of great figure skating costume designs (if you trace those big name superstar skaters' costumes, it is not that hard to identify). That is, make it as a pack for a season's SP and FP. it is connected in subtle designing aspects.

For Nathan's SP and FP, the obvious "preponderance black" connection. and ofc the overall second-skin type of fit (and half hand cover sleeves). And that big shining thingy. in short, it is a white strip going down his chest/front and in long it is that ZIPPER going down his back.:biggrin:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're welcome to your opinion. I happen to think he looks nice in this costume.

I think that when Nathan's costumes are on the same ice as billowing chiffon and feathers and sequins and beading, the effect will be stark and not at all displeasing.

When skaters take the ice looking like miniaturized Mardi Gras floats on Canal Street, we are lectured about letting skaters be themselves and letting their personalities be reflected, etc. etc.

Maybe Nathan's personality is that he doesn't want to look like a clown wearing all that junk.

And I, for one, CELEBRATE that!

So much so that I'm even going off-brand and using a cheerleading emoji... :cheer:

1111bm

Final Flight
I think that when Nathan's costumes are on the same ice as billowing chiffon and feathers and sequins and beading, the effect will be stark and not at all displeasing.

When skaters take the ice looking like miniaturized Mardi Gras floats on Canal Street, we are lectured about letting skaters be themselves and letting their personalities be reflected, etc. etc.

Maybe Nathan's personality is that he doesn't want to look like a clown wearing all that junk.

Well, there's always a middle ground, it doesn't have to be one extreme or the other...

And I for one was under the impression, that those who dislike his new costumes, don't necessarily object to the fact that they are simple and plain or black (some do, but not all).
Many of these people also liked the simple shirt and pants he wore temporarily for the first half of the season, without any embellishments.

It's just that many feel that going the minimalistic route could have been executed in a better or different way... others are bugged by those little details like the zippers etc...

Also no one said that he looks bad in them, of course he looks great. But that doesn't make them the best fit for his programs. And it doesn't change the fact that to some people certain details about those costumes aren't aesthetically pleasing.

I for one like him best in his practice clothes, seriously, if everyone just wore their workout gear to competitons, I'd be super happy. Honestly, most FS costumes (male and female) are just an eyesore to me, it's rare that I like one. But I loooved his costumes from last season, so that's saying something! :laugh:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I for one like him best in his practice clothes, seriously, if everyone just wore their workout gear to competitons, I'd be super happy. Honestly, most FS costumes (male and female) are just an eyesore to me, it's rare that I like one. But I loooved his costumes from last season, so that's saying something! :laugh:

Drifting off topic: A couple of years ago, a pair skated in a summer comp wearing understated all black costumes. I loved it; I went on and on about how well they accentuated their line and reflected the gravitas of the program.

Of course, their real costumes hadn't come in yet, and they were wearing practice suits. LOL.

When their real costumes came later in the season, they looked like a ten-year-old had stapled together supplies from Party City that she thought looked cool.

shine

Record Breaker
It's just that many feel that going the minimalistic route could have been executed in a better or different way... others are bugged by those little details like the zippers etc...

Also no one said that he looks bad in them, of course he looks great. But that doesn't make them the best fit for his programs. And it doesn't change the fact that to some people certain details about those costumes aren't aesthetically pleasing.

That's really it. Nathan's skating style tends to be more angular and upright, whereas much of the LP calls for softer and more flowy presentation. The costume really doesn't help in that regard. It makes him look rigid, even if I do think he looks fabulous in it. And I'm speaking as someone who's never liked sequins and sparkles, and who really didn't mind his Macy's blouse for the LP, even if it's not your everyday figure skating costume.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Well, there's always a middle ground, it doesn't have to be one extreme or the other...

And I for one was under the impression, that those who dislike his new costumes, don't necessarily object to the fact that they are simple and plain or black (some do, but not all).
Many of these people also liked the simple shirt and pants he wore temporarily for the first half of the season, without any embellishments.

I think you might be giving the complainers WAY too much credit. :laugh: FS fans have a reputation of being extremely conservative and don't want to be nudged out of their comfort zones. I'm curious to see how the 4-year fans tuning into the Olympics will feel about the new costumes.

I'd love it if Nike could design costumes for him in the future.

-----------------------------------

More Coke promo videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsvOeUc7x8o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D0jXbjVA84

PR from Ballet West
https://balletwest.org/news/academy-alumnus-nathan-chen-headed-to-the-winter-olympics

yyyskate

Record Breaker
@shine speaking of rigidity of Nathan BOI's movement, I dont think his movement is rigid or angular per se, actually it is kinda raw and organic, his fingers, wrist and arms are full of life in his SP without any costume covering it (rolled up). My favorite intangible part of Nathan's skating is that organic feel, in his body movements and his jumps too. Actually, it is a bit deviate from Minimal design. But, with a little bit deviation, maybe the whole presentation stands out. Okay, I don't know what I am talking about now.... Anyways, I like Nathan's dance in his practices(ofc, wearing his practice clothes) that I have linked many time. Maybe, he tensed up a little in US National FS. a couple of KEY dance move that screams for fluidity is indeed more rigid then before.

A little thing, I noticed in Nathan's FS stsq at nationals, that is a bit different (except for that rushed timing:biggrin::palmf:) is his facial expression, he added an level of angst during the start of his stsq. I think it is intentional.

Another thing I get to know about Nathan and his skating is that this BOI likes to improvise.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That was after a really rough practice session, Nathan BOI took in all the frustration and put on a smiling face ONLY for fans.:eek::

Really, Glad and lucky that you got the photo of Nathan BOI.

That was Weds. evening. We had arrived early in order to get something to eat before the very first event (ladies SP). Normally there is a HUGE line at the table, but events were just getting started. We could see a small amount of commotion and investigated and found Jason, Grant, Nathan, and Mirai signing autographs. I didn't care about autographs but took a few photos.

ETA--Yes, Nathan's skin is pretty amazing!

sheetz

Record Breaker
E: In terms of promos, though, where does this fit in? Taxi-ing on the plane? A United ad during the games? Just so many questions. :confused:
https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago...lines-invokes-superheroes-in-new-olympic.html

The campaign will unfold at United airport locations, other out-of-home spaces, and on social media platforms starting tomorrow. The campaign also will air for the first time on television during the opening ceremonies of the 2018 Winter Games.