Nathan Chen | Page 914 | Golden Skate

Nathan Chen

lurkz2

On the Ice
I'm not sure he's interested in records and such. He's certainly not rushing to learn a quad Axel or being the first to land some fancy new combo (such as a quad as the second jump in a combo) and things like that (ok, the 4A one is rather impossible for him lol). I think he's content with some of the 'firsts' that he got when he was younger, but he seems to have other priorities now and is willing to sacrifice certain records and titles for being able to lead a college life.

I'd like to think he's not showing us all the combinations he's able to land. After all, he did show the quad loop after denying that he was working on one. He seems to keep his cards close to his chest, did not even talk about going up to 5 quads this season.

discode

Final Flight
Raf already said as much. That he's not showing in competition what he's doing in practice and that he'll show that when/if the need arises. Right now he doesn't need any fancy new combo. He was also able to add 5 quads back in a little too easily not to be actively training it a lot when he said 4 high quality quads is the goal after GP France. Though he did kind of tease eventually doing 6 quads again. I don't expect it this season, but I don't think he's just resting on his laurels.

oly2018

Final Flight
I also think that he unfortunately, just isn't in a position to talk about what his record breaking goals are. He and Raf clearly know what the WR scores are and seem to realize when Nathan is close to them or has broken them. Megan Duhamel's comment about Nathan not realizing his own greatness made me think about how Nathan can't really own his own competitiveness because of potential backlash.

We may just have to wait and see and speculate. Personally, I think Nathan and Raf have way more planned than what we have seen. The 5 quad free skate seemed really easy after having only less than two weeks with Raf. I don't know how it's happening, but I am in awe of his ability to improve with so little coaching time.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
I wish that he would quit the backflips, at least for now. Yana reported that he slipped and fell on one at GPF gala practice :(

sheetz

Record Breaker
Sam invited him to get together for a new EX but Nathan is so independent I think he will want to do it himself. Winter break would be a good time to come up with a new one, and hopefully he'll be visiting Montreal before heading back to CA.

shine

Record Breaker
I wish he would do a different type of EX too. His EXs from the past 3 years have all been so similar. He’s not a bad choreographer, but I also haven’t been wowed since Stole the Show. And I feel he’s missing out on opportunities to explore different styles and develop himself further by working with more mature choreographers, especially if his career is not going to go beyond 2022. If the free program is going to be devoted to mainly to the quads (his words, and I think I have slowly come to terms with it), I am hoping we at least get to see more development on the program/choreo front in his gala programs..

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Probably the comfort factor? That ex programs aren’t judged actually gives him the freedom to continually do them in a similar style :p

lurkz2

On the Ice
He is willing to try different styles of competition programs. So why not a new fresh type of EX, Nathan?:palmf:

If time is limited exhibition programs would be last priority, though maybe he could and should use them to explore potential next season programs

1111bm

Final Flight
Why he looks so skinny in second picture. What have final exams done to him?

I think that's just a weird picture, because his jaw was moving when it was taken. I took a very similar picture of my father once, can you imagine the drama that ensued, because I took such a disfiguring picture that was 'not reflecting reality'! :laugh:

So much gray hair at 20..too much stress and not enough sleep I suppose?

He's had those grey hairs for years, it started when he was still a teenager.
And he said (in at least one interview) that he used to sleep 10 hours a night, I believe, to get the needed recovery time. Don't know by how much this has changed at Yale, there was an interview some time ago which mentioned how much he sleeps nowadays (8 hours or sth. like that), but who knows where they got that info from or if they quoted it correctly or if Nathan was truly honest. Maybe he just mentioned his sleeping goals.

sheetz

Record Breaker
The Team USA Awards are being broadcast this Sunday afternoon on NBC.
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestli...ber/20/Jordan-Burroughs-hosts-Team-USA-awards

Nathan mentioned in interview of Laura Lipetsky (Alysa Liu's coach)
https://fs-gossips.com/laura-lipetsky-tutberidze-is-an-example-of-a-truly-great-coach/
I also come across the opinion that quads are killing a truly beautiful female skating. And Tutberidze several times explained why this is not true …

– And I agree with her. Quads do not kill ladies’ skating, but make it more exciting. If some girls can do them, why they shouldn’t? Plus, as soon as quadruples become easier for skaters, they will have the opportunity to develop other aspects of their skating. Think of Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen when they included a large number of quadruple jumps into their programs. Then their skating was not at all as amazing as it is now. The same thing is happening with girls now.

Among the single skaters of the past and those who skate now whom do you like?

– Now, of course, it’s Chen, who manages to combine the highest level of skating and quadruple jumps. Michelle Kwan, who was psychologically very strong and skated very inspiredly and beautifully, performing triple jumps that were difficult for that time. All skaters from the Tutberidze group, which pushes our sport forward and develops it. After all, in her group, not only one girl performs quads, but several!

Tahuu

On the Ice
^ So tomorrow, Sunday 12/22, 2-3pm est, is Team USA Awards, and then 4-6pm, GPF on NBC. I did watch GPF live on my TV via AirPlay NBCSports Gold. It will be nice to watch it again on the big screen with the NBC commentators.