Shoma Uno | Page 334 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

Hronop

On the Ice
Some annoying real life distractions (work...) put some insurmountable obstacles on my way and has almost prevented me from congratulating our dear beloved Shomita with his 20th birthday! But my love to Shomita has helped me a lot to overcome these obstacles and find some free time, while being on a plane back home, to write a birthday post in my blog! :ghug: (this is just to let all of you know that I was not being idle in my secret worship of Shomajesty)

Happy belated birthday, our little Prince! All I want for this wonderful creature is just to realize his potential on ice and to let people see (in awe) what he's capable of doing. Medals will surely pour down on him if he simply does his best. :cheer:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
From here
S: Of course I want to win and be first place, but I don’t want to be burdened with being champion.
I: If you win, you’ll end up being burdened…?
S: Yes but… if possible I want to abandon it. Just the title.

Shoma needs to get rid of that mindset. I hope he isn't unconsiouscly sabotaging himself now. I didn't see it that way until GPF, but now I'm not so sure. I'm not expecting a record breaking skate at Nationals. I think Shoma needs skaters who, in his mind, are superior to him at a competition to really shine. Mhhh.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
From here

Shoma needs to get rid of that mindset. I hope he isn't unconsiouscly sabotaging himself now. I didn't see it that way until GPF, but now I'm not so sure. I'm not expecting a record breaking skate at Nationals. I think Shoma needs skaters who, in his mind, are superior to him at a competition to really shine. Mhhh.

Is he talking about Nationals. His words can also be be interpreted as he does not want to have the pressure of defending his National title
in other words he wants to abandon that feeling and not have the title on his mind to blur his performance. We know the pressure got to him at GPF.
Just a thought.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Is he talking about Nationals. His words can also be be interpreted as he does not want to have the pressure of defending his National title
in other words he wants to abandon that feeling and not have the title on his mind to blur his performance. We know the pressure got to him at GPF.
Just a thought.

Might be true, but even for the japanese National title, it's his now. He will have to get used to it. I'm pretty positive that Shoma will at least medal at the Olympics, and he has a Worlds Silver Medal. And he didn't have to defend anything at GPF and while he was one of the favourites, Nathan was coming into this as two time GP champion, the pressure wasn't on him alone. Fact is that Shoma has to get used to having a target on his back, and I think that's something he still has problems understanding. I think it won't be long now until he wins his first big competition, whether that's 4CC, the Olympics or Worlds. Next season, Javier Fernandez and Patrick Chan will be gone. He won't remain the runner up forever. It's sad for him that the japanese Men's field is as weak as it has not been for a decade right now.

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Shoma had a different kind of pressure at GPF, skating in his home Country and the expectation of winning the title in his home town. That is a lot.
Some skaters thrive on such situations and I think Shoma as he matures will adapt and not feel pressure to be the best all of the time.

Goodness Nationals is right around the corner. GO Shoma!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Shoma had a different kind of pressure at GPF, skating in his home Country and the expectation of winning the title in his home town. That is a lot.
Some skaters thrive on such situations and I think Shoma as he matures will adapt and not feel pressure to be the best all of the time.

Goodness Nationals is right around the corner. GO Shoma!

Yes, he had pressure at the GPF, but I think another thing that made him underperform was the weird situation. Like it didn't feel like the GPF because it was home, the guys he sees as superior to him weren't there, etc. A lot of factors came together. And that's why I believe Nationals won't be perfect as it's similar to this years GPF. I'm sure Shoma will do well at the Olympics though. It will get his blood boiling for the win. :)

Verit

Rinkside

Oh, great, someone reposted my photo.
The original + more photos, if anyone's curious: https://www.flickr.com/photos/asveri/sets/72157667335893449

I like this one especially. https://www.flickr.com/photos/asveri/38955937882/in/album-72157667335893449/

But in better news, I made a video for Shoma's birthday. https://youtu.be/t5lV16murSk
It's been a while since I did fanvideos like this one, but I wanted to start doing FS ones for a while now. Didn't expect it to be so soon and so fast, though, because I just realised I had to do it the evening on 16th December. :laugh: But I'm very glad I did it! I wanted to make a Shoma fanvid, specifically, for a long time, but couldn't find the right song. After some searching that evening two days ago, I realised Panic Station was simply perfect. I might do a longer version later, even! the lyrics of the second verse fit him even more. Hope you like it <3

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The original + more photos, if anyone's curious: https://www.flickr.com/photos/asveri/sets/72157667335893449

I like this one especially. https://www.flickr.com/photos/asveri/38955937882/in/album-72157667335893449/

But in better news, I made a video for Shoma's birthday. https://youtu.be/t5lV16murSk
It's been a while since I did fanvideos like this one, but I wanted to start doing FS ones for a while now. Didn't expect it to be so soon and so fast, though, because I just realised I had to do it the evening on 16th December. :laugh: But I'm very glad I did it! I wanted to make a Shoma fanvid, specifically, for a long time, but couldn't find the right song. After some searching that evening two days ago, I realised Panic Station was simply perfect. I might do a longer version later, even! the lyrics of the second verse fit him even more. Hope you like it <3

Verit, you caused quite a stir with that wonderful photo that daphenaxa posted. It really woke us all up! :laugh2: Your other favorite is great too. I am still basking in the joy and happiness of his birthday and all the special things (cartoons, videos, fond memories, etc.) people did -- including your wonderful video!

Latremu

Final Flight

It's been a while since I did fanvideos like this one, but I wanted to start doing FS ones for a while now. Didn't expect it to be so soon and so fast, though, because I just realised I had to do it the evening on 16th December. [emoji23] But I'm very glad I did it! I wanted to make a Shoma fanvid, specifically, for a long time, but couldn't find the right song. After some searching that evening two days ago, I realised Panic Station was simply perfect. I might do a longer version later, even! the lyrics of the second verse fit him even more. Hope you like it <3
Aw, we didn't know that was your photo! Welcome back, Verit, and thank you for sharing your video! Sorry that the instagram user who posted it didn't credit you for the photo, hopefully it was unintentional. Your photos are excellent, and the video was great and so perfectly timed!

I see MaiKatze's point with Shoma's statements (at least he was sort of kind of joking when he said that!), but I think he realizes that he can't win and not be champion. Eventually, I hope he considers it less of a burden and more as a point of pride to be the National champion representing Japan, as well as a point of personal pride to give his best performance no matter who he is up against. Destiny seems to dictate that he is at the forefront sooner than he expected, so ready or not, he's there. At least he's honest, so those feelings can be worked out.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
What do you think is Shoma more a SP or LP skater? Thinking about it, he did win every LP this season, even losing the competitions overall. (Not counting Japan Open, because that wasn't a real competition) While the SP is pretty much the thing that keeps every skater in the business this season, from Javier, Patrick, Nathan and also Yuzuru with his record breaking short at ACI, the LP is letting them all down at the moment. Which could be hint. Yes the other skaters weren't good at the events in the LP but Shoma, sans Lombardia, skated far from perfect in the LP's and won anyway. I think that bodes well. I want that clean and perfect Winter again though. Preferably at Nationals.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What do you think is Shoma more a SP or LP skater? Thinking about it, he did win every LP this season, even losing the competitions overall. (Not counting Japan Open, because that wasn't a real competition) While the SP is pretty much the thing that keeps every skater in the business this season, from Javier, Patrick, Nathan and also Yuzuru with his record breaking short at ACI, the LP is letting them all down at the moment. Which could be hint. Yes the other skaters weren't good at the events in the LP but Shoma, sans Lombardia, skated far from perfect in the LP's and won anyway. I think that bodes well. I want that clean and perfect Winter again though. Preferably at Nationals.

Sho skated a wonderful SP at Sk Can (103.62), and I'd love to see him do that again. I still think of the judge sitting near me who said "Now THAT'S the way you skate a SP." I've thought in the past that he was able to really shine in the FS because of his incredible stamina. This season has been different because of the flu and heaven only knows what other undisclosed ailments! :scratch: He has spoiled us in the past! I want perfect programs for both! Doing a 4 quad FS would be fine with me!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Reading deedee's post and hearing Shoma talk about the 2013 Nationals made me rewatch his program and read the thread in the archive from Japanese Nationals that year. I wrote something about feeling the tension even thousands kilometres away. And I guess one of those posts was my first reaction to Shoma in the forum, I'm not a 100% sure though. I liked his honest reaction in the KnC. But more than this I was occupied with Daisuke and him being chosen for Sochi. Man, these Nationals. This year's will be not nearly as heartbreaking (well, perhaps for one of the male skaters who doesn't get to go, but back then it was so different)

deedee1

Record Breaker
@MaiKatze
Thanks indeed for your 'click' at my two posts on 2013-14 J-Nats threads. :eek:::thank:, which has made me go back and read my old posts there. My memories from 4 years ago have come back suddenly and vividly! I've almost forgotten what I wrote there, though. I sometimes hate getting old. :palmf::laugh:
It still breaks my heart quite much tbh, but it was a very nice reading about all those younger skaters, who already had something very remarkable in 2013 and how much they've improved in 4 years of time while moving up to seniors, once again. Thanks. :)

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Sometimes it's really eye opening to read these older threads in the archive. How everyone saw things, before they happened. How it felt during the competitions. And even back then, when Shoma thought to himself "What am I doing in this group?" I think you can see that he belonged there. Yes, the jumps weren't there yet, but I think especially because they weren't there, he has become the great skater that he is today. This is why it makes me angry when people say his PCS is too high. For me, he is there with the top men, better in some even, and not just a young 'Quadster'. Because he really developed the skating skills when he wasn't able to jump the 3A or the Quads. And now 4 years later he is the japanese Champion, defending his title, aiming for a spot on the Olympic Podium. It's great! And for me it's great and nerve wrecking because Shoma took Daisuke's place in making my heart explode during his skates. I don't know how I'll survive Pyeongchang, deedee!

deedee1

Record Breaker
Now that the time is getting closer to Nationals, Japan TV is airing fluff pieces on the skaters.
Here is one on Shoma from Heroes aired yesterday. Nothing really new but it is always
nice to to see the Prince. :love:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6btvr1

Thanks for the link. The part Shoma working with coach Haguenauer made my day! :love: It must be Lyon connection, I mean Team Zazoui: from Kenji https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fno1beHHku4, to Daisuke https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Q8ugjwuxU and now to Shoma. So glad to see the baton has been passing onto a younger generation. :thumbspup:

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Reading deedee's post and hearing Shoma talk about the 2013 Nationals made me rewatch his program and read the thread in the archive from Japanese Nationals that year. I wrote something about feeling the tension even thousands kilometres away. And I guess one of those posts was my first reaction to Shoma in the forum, I'm not a 100% sure though. I liked his honest reaction in the KnC. But more than this I was occupied with Daisuke and him being chosen for Sochi. Man, these Nationals. This year's will be not nearly as heartbreaking (well, perhaps for one of the male skaters who doesn't get to go, but back then it was so different)

@MaiKatze
Thanks indeed for your 'click' at my two posts on 2013-14 J-Nats threads. :eek:::thank:, which has made me go back and read my old posts there. My memories from 4 years ago have come back suddenly and vividly! I've almost forgotten what I wrote there, though. I sometimes hate getting old. :palmf::laugh:
It still breaks my heart quite much tbh, but it was a very nice reading about all those younger skaters, who already had something very remarkable in 2013 and how much they've improved in 4 years of time while moving up to seniors, once again. Thanks. :)

Sometimes it's really eye opening to read these older threads in the archive. How everyone saw things, before they happened. How it felt during the competitions. And even back then, when Shoma thought to himself "What am I doing in this group?" I think you can see that he belonged there. Yes, the jumps weren't there yet, but I think especially because they weren't there, he has become the great skater that he is today. This is why it makes me angry when people say his PCS is too high. For me, he is there with the top men, better in some even, and not just a young 'Quadster'. Because he really developed the skating skills when he wasn't able to jump the 3A or the Quads. And now 4 years later he is the japanese Champion, defending his title, aiming for a spot on the Olympic Podium. It's great! And for me it's great and nerve wrecking because Shoma took Daisuke's place in making my heart explode during his skates. I don't know how I'll survive Pyeongchang, deedee!

Maikatze and deedee my curiosity is killing me because I am at work and can't read the old JN thread right know, will have to wait until I get home. I hope I did not embarrass myself in that thread. lol.
Thanks for the like MaiKatze and the blast from the past!!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Maikatze and deedee my curiosity is killing me because I am at work and can't read the old JN thread right know, will have to wait until I get home. I hope I did not embarrass myself in that thread. lol.
Thanks for the like MaiKatze and the blast from the past!!

Don't worry, you didn't. Most of the members posting in that thread are not active anymore. Other than that it's all a big Dai Love fest. At least we hadn't had to deal with THAT many haters in the past. He was universally adored. And everyone is pretty fair in the thread. Some disagree with the decision of sending Daisuke to Sochi, but articulate that in a normal way, so no worries. All in all there wasn't a big outcry or something. It just shows how times have changed. There were always fans who were very vocal in their dislike of a skater, but the atmosphere was much nicer back then.

And Shoma is described as cute kid that looks about 12. (He just had turned 16) :laugh2:Poor him. Wearing braces and looking forlorn. Does anyone know if Daisuke goes to Pyeongchang for TV? I hope he is there to cheer Shoma, Yuzuru, Skater X and the two Ladies on. :)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Shomygosh! Thx for the archive link. Can't wait to read it. Going out to a Christmas luncheon but looking forward to it when I get home. :thank: