Shoma Uno | Page 103 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
He is on the right track! What is the expression he always says? Make takanai? (pardon my spelling)

Funny thing happened when I came through Customs In Toronto. The agent asked me the purpose of my visit. When I said figure skating, she said ,"Oh you're the first American who has told me that. Everyone else has been Japanese!" Hmm, I wonder whom they want to see!?

I can't believe Skate Canada is almost here. Can't wait to see Yuzuru in action this year. You're so lucky seeing Figure Skating two weeks in a row. On the other hand...it sounds exhausting. Haha..:bed:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe Skate Canada is almost here. Can't wait to see Yuzuru in action this year. You're so lucky seeing Figure Skating two weeks in a row. On the other hand...it sounds exhausting. Haha..:bed:

I know it will be an amazing competition. So many great skaters! That is definitely the correct emoji. I'm exhausted! :bed::yawn:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
He is on the right track! I wish there could be less obsession with the jumps, but I don't see that changing...What is the expression he always says? Make takanai? (pardon my spelling)

Funny thing happened when I came through Customs In Toronto. The agent asked me the purpose of my visit. When I said figure skating, she said ,"Oh you're the first American who has told me that. Everyone else has been Japanese!" Hmm, I wonder whom they want to see!?

Make-takanai is japanese? Provably “maketakunai” which means “hate to lose”. he has the standard in himself and he hates to lose to himself.

Expression, artistry... The word which shows those nuance is “hyougen”, “Hyougen-ryoku”. It is the opposite concept to techniques, in Japanese “gijutsu” “gijutsu-ryoku”.

OMG! what customs! :drama: Ive heard that tickets for men’s event are sold out. So many japanese must be there, more than skate america...

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, that's right, hamaguri! Thank you so much for yr kindness and hugs from Brasil!

They say PARABENS on The Skating Lesson program all the time, and I always wondered what that meant! So now I know -- Congratulations (in Portuguese, I think). Such an education we get here on the forum! :biggrin:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Make-takanai is japanese? Provably “maketakunai” which means “hate to lose”. he has the standard in himself and he hates to lose to himself.

Expression, artistry... The word which shows those nuance is “hyougen”, “Hyougen-ryoku”. It is the opposite concept to techniques, in Japanese “gijutsu” “gijutsu-ryoku”.

OMG! what customs! :drama: Ive heard that tickets for men’s event are sold out. So many japanese must be there, more than skate america...

I was close! I'll have to remember that -- maketakunai. I remember he said that in his interview with Uncle Dai, and Dai laughed...Regarding his Japanese food, if he comes to the Chicago area for an extended period of time, he needs to make a visit to www.mitsuwa.com. He can get all the foods there that he wants - probably not quite as good as at home, but maybe close!...Calling Alex a slave driver (which maybe was a poor choice of words on my part) means Alex made Shoma and the other skaters work super, super hard. I remember him in that little pool where he was saying it was only the second day of training and he was totally exhausted.
Looking forward to seeing him at Rostelcom.

Last edited:

lightkeizercitron

Spectator
Just renewed my Eurosport subscription and like to add how much the german Eurosport commenters adore Shoma (Winnie_20 style). I am critical of these guys as they are often very biased, but this Skate America they've been mostly right. (And not only because I agree with them, they almost predicted the outcome of the Ladies competition) And Sigi Heinrich is the first commenter whom I've listened to who adores the music of Shomas LP, even the vocals. (That's one thing I definitely don't agree with, ha) He said something like "Every Argentinian Tango lover's heart must beat crazily after watching that gorgeous interpretation of Shoma Uno's tango" For the german Eurosport guys there was no question who was best in this competition and they couldn't hold themselves back with fanboying, looking forward to the future because there are many years of Shoma's skating still to come. Some unnecessary comments about wanting to give Shoma a pacifier, but I categorize that under "grandfatherly affection". Shoma could be the grandson after all. "He looks like a kid, but his skating is definitely mature." They weren't that enthusiastic about some others and critizised the overscoring of certain other skaters as well. Very interesting.

I would love to see that video with German comments, because I understand German.
It would be great if someone could upload it to YouTube.
I just love listening to commentators from different countries praise Shoma:love:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I realized I never responded to the earlier question of which of Shoma's costumes do I prefer. They are both really very beautiful. The lavender shirt really sparkles when he is on the ice, and I'm surprised that the color looks so good on him. The FS costume is gorgeous and really suits him. Being that he is smaller, the all one color (mostly black) gives him the appearance of being taller, whereas the two colors of purple chop him in half. It was the same last year to me when the SP costume was basically all one color (which made him look taller) versus the FS which chopped him in half with different shades of green...Guess I notice this because I'm his height and try to not chop myself in half! :drama:

Not to overdo this idea, but I noticed with Wakaba Higuchi, same thing. Her Scheherazade costume is stunning but the wrong style for someone of her height.

ETA The sparklies show up pretty well on his shirt. This was during an SP practice for SA. https://t.co/0csfibAXlh

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I would love to see that video with German comments, because I understand German.
It would be great if someone could upload it to YouTube.
I just love listening to commentators from different countries praise Shoma:love:

Unfortunately they already took it down on the Eurosport player. I would have to find a way to record it and upload it somewhere the next time. Problem is I think it's a copyright infringement if I do. Mmmh...

Last edited:

lightkeizercitron

Spectator
Unfortunately they already took it down on the Eurosport player. I would have to find a way to record it and upload it somewhere the next time. Problem is I think it's a copyright infringement if I do. Mmmh...

I understand.
It seems complicated, so please forget about it.
Danke auf jeden Fall. :thank:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I understand.
It seems complicated, so please forget about it.
Danke auf jeden Fall. :thank:

The LP was still there. I transcribed it for you, just Shoma's LP. Commentator is Sigi Heinrich. He says some wrong things during this, but it's exactly what he is saying:

Sigi Heinrich:

"So liebe Zuschauer und jetzt freuen wir uns, glaube ich alle miteinander, auf einen quirligen, kleinen Mann aus Nagoya in Japan. Auf Shoma Uno. Hat eine kleine Weltpremiere hier hingelegt, hat den vierfachen Flip gestanden, hat ihn ein paar mal in Bergamo bei der Lombardia Trophy probiert. Da hat es nicht funktioniert. Hier hat es im Kurzprogramm schon mal geklappt. Er wird diesen vierfach Flip gleich am Anfang zeigen. Alle vierfach Sprünge sind inzwischen von Athleten irgendwo gesprungen worden, wir werden es sicherlich auch noch mal erleben, dass einer mal alle möglichen Sprünge, ausgenommen dem Axel natürlich, vierfach in einem Programm springt."

Program starts here.

"Musik, ein argentinischer Tango des Spieler und Komponisten Astor Piazzolla."

4 Flip

"Boah, noch besser als im Kurzprogramm noch um Längen besser."

4T

"Mein lieber, der vierfache Toeloop war nicht schlechter! Das wird sich Yuzuru Hanyu, sein Landsmann, sicher ganz genau anschauen."

Fall

"Ooohh...schade. Ansonsten wäre das ein fehlerfreies Superprogramm gewesen. Aber ein Superprogramm ist es so und so."

End program

"Es ist fantastisch, es ist absolut fantastisch! Ich bin schon einer, dem die Worte sonst nicht fehlen, aber das war derartig großartig, was Shoma Uno hier gebracht hat! Da zieht sich die Gänsehaut von der kleinen Fingerkuppe durch den ganzen Körper. Shoma Uno aus Japan.

Berührend und ein wunderschönes Programm. Ich bin mir nicht ganz sicher, aber ich habe den Eindruck das war am Ende noch die Stimme von Milva, die wir gehört haben bei para para loco, von Astor Piazzolla. Ein Superprogramm, alles, alles war da , der vierfache Flip, der vierfache Toeloop zum Schluss, der kleine Wackeler beim Salchow - gut. Da breiten wir doch bitte den Mantel des Schweigens darüber aus und wenn das irgendein argentinischer Tango Fan sieht, der muss doch Herzrasen kriegen, bei dieser Interpretation des Shoma Uno.

Der gewinnt hier natürlich Skate America, da gibt es überhaupt keine Frage, bin mal gespannt ob es da eine persönliche Bestleistung gibt, die steht bei 190,32 Punkten. Ich darf ihnen zuhause sagen, meine Begeisterung hält sich nicht in Grenzen nein, die ist grenzenlos über das, was wir hier von Shoma Uno gesehen haben. 1 m 59 geballte Energie, Kraft, Eleganz. Technisch hochwertig, toller Schlittschuh.

Da haben die Japaner wieder einen derartigen Soliden, und dann gibts noch Yuzuru Hanyu. Ich glaube, der siebte Platz bei der Weltmeisterschaft, die er im letzten Jahr belegte, sollte Vergangenheit sein. Er wird in die Medaillenränge kommen, er wird um die Medaillen kämpfen können, mit einem solchen Programm. Wunderschön. 19 Jahre alt ist er. Michiko Yamada seine Trainerin. Im letzten Jahr war er dritter im Grand Prix Finale in Barcelona. Die Trophy Eric Bompard gewonnen. Da wurde ja aufgrund der Terror Angriffe in Frankreich nach dem Kurzprogramm abgebrochen. Trotzdem und in Milwaukee, Wisconsin bei Skate America war er Zweiter, diesmal wird er gewinnen. Er wird hohe Programmkomponenten erhalten."

Points announced.

"190,19 Punkte, knapp an der persönlichen Bestleistung vorbei insgesamt, 279,34 auch ganz, ganz hauchdünn an der persönlichen Bestleistung vorbei. Optimal technische Elemente 100 Punkte, für Shoma Uno, das nimmt er derartig gelassen hin, der Shoma Uno. So ist er, schön. Da freut man sich auf Eiskunstlaufen in den nächsten Jahren, wenn man weiß da ist ein Shoma Uno da, der uns weiter soviel Freude bereiten darf."

When they show Shoma waving and the ranking he says ( I hope I got that right, it's gone now, and I cannot listen again):

"Wenn man ihn so sieht würde man ihm am liebsten einen Schnuller geben, aber sein Programm ist sehr reif."

Last edited:

hamaguri

Record Breaker
I realized I never responded to the earlier question of which of Shoma's costumes do I prefer. They are both really very beautiful. The lavender top really sparkles when he is on the ice, and I'm surprised that the color looks so good on him. The FS costume is gorgeous and really suits him. Being that he is smaller, the all one color (mostly black) gives him the appearance of being taller, whereas the two colors of purple chop him in half. It was the same last year to me when the SP costume was basically all one color (which made him look taller) versus the FS which chopped him in half with different shades of green...Guess I notice this because I'm his height and try to not chop myself in half! :drama:

Not to overdo this idea, but I noticed with Wakaba Higuchi, same thing. Her Scheherazade costume is stunning but the wrong style for someone of her height.
Your finding is so interesting. Im also a small person (156cm... Btw, people here is overall tall. I feel i really stand out since adults with a hight like me are hardly seen here.), but i dont know the effect that the outfit which chopes me in half wouldnt make me look taller. I keep it in my mind.

I really love shoma’s costumes. Most of them are well valanced. Not common but not excentric. Very elegant.

And thank you for the site of mitsuwa! He(or his mom) can go there without a car? I realized the problem of food is very very important when you stay in abroad. I can understand the cultual difference rationaly and easily get used to it. However, water, food, etc. those physiological stuff, which are the last thing i came to get used to (thankfully, now im OK.). If he knows the presense of a store like this, he must go there more longer.

Alex! Now i see the meaning of the word, slave driver! :biggrin: Poor shoma and skaters! But at the same time i feel how the sports science proceeds in US. According to these news clip, they offered many different types of trainings and they are very effective. His university, Chukyo University is famous for its fasilities for sports. They have many top athlete in Japan. Even shoma, who belongs to there finds the training in US fulfilled.

How about Scate Canada? I lurked your comments in some threads in Skate America. You are lucky! This week, i realized how Skate America had so many great performances, expecially Men’s field! It was special and might have been a miracle. You can be proud that your town had such a great figure skating competition. The support of the audience and the management stuff, further, the atmosphere among skaters... Those things must be so wonderful.

lightkeizercitron

Spectator
Wow!
Thanks for your extra effort, MaiKatze!!
I know that German commentators can be really critical, so I was really happy to read those nice words about Shoma.
It's a great help for me because I often don't understand 100% of what the commentators say.

Vielen Dank nochmals. :love:

Danibellerika

Medalist
Oh wow, I didn't realize he would be at Rostelecom already. For some reason I thought he'd be in France. Either way, I'm curious how he will compare to Fernandez! Go Shoma!!

Nope. Russia and then no Shoma for a month barring he makes the final *sad panda :(*. I'm also curious about the match up but I expect Javi to come out on top, though not by a lot if they both do the same stuff.

MeltedIce

On the Ice
Shoma has already shown he is in a good state and his skate is strong. We still don't know how is Javi at this point. I want Javi to win and be at the GPF, but I think it's going to be a tough fight between them both.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shoma has already shown he is in a good state and his skate is strong. We still don't know how is Javi at this point. I want Javi to win and be at the GPF, but I think it's going to be a tough fight between them both.

Javi skated his Elvis FS at the Japan Open, and I really liked it! He is such a great competitor. Besides Javi and Shoma, Rostelecom also includes Deniss Vasiljevs (now being coached by Stephane Lambiel), Mikhail Kolyada, and Max Aaron -- all great competitors. Plus some other skaters that I'm not that familiar with. It should be a VERY interesting men's event.

Last edited: