Shoma Uno | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

unico

Final Flight
I can imagine him having a Chan/Lambiel-esque 3A with a decent 4T. He really needs more height on his jumps if he wants to avoid pesky UR calls though. From his non-reaction to that otherwise beautiful 4T he looks like he's been landing it fairly consistently in practice, which is good to see.

I hope he'll be able to establish a name for himself and step out of his reputation as "the second Takahashi". :yay:

GGoldberg

Match Penalty
His timing could be perfect. If he continues to mature, it is happening at the juncture where some really veterans, who have been top competitors for a decade, are retiring or on the verge.

thoakun

Final Flight
How tall is Shoma now? Previously, I was concerned that he wouldn't get much taller and he was too short for a male skater. A few years ago, he was channeling Dai but now he is himself. Both of them seems to be shy in real life :). He's the most musical and charismatic among the junior male skaters IMO.

thoakun

Final Flight
Wiki still says that he is 1m54. :eek:hwell: but Me think he might have gotten taller a bit, maybe 1m56?
That's still a bit too short:confused:. His jumps look good for his height, but I'm afraid when he's in competition, his jumps will look much less significant than his competitors who are around 1m75, and that'll affect on the PCS.
I have a stupid question: Can the flutz be fixed? Mirai's lutz looks better now, but her flutz was on the flat side to start with. I respect coach Yamada a lot, but she can't teach jumps.

deedee1

Record Breaker
Is it Ilya Kulik at the beginning? He did good job with Satoko's jumps. JSF should emply him more for younger skaters to correct their jump technique.

Yes, it's him. And I agree re his great job fixing Satoko's jumps. Before going to Ilia, her jmps were like long jumps of track & field; sorry I can't describe it very well in English but, to me she used to try 'horizontally skipping further on the ice', instead of 'going up' in the air in order to rotate jumps, you know. But ever since she went to Ilia last summer, she stopped 'spinning herself around in the air and, though her jumps may be still tiny, was able to 'jump' finally. If he could fix her jump technique, I do have a faith in him that he too can fix Shoma's flutz and 3A problems. Let's stay hopeful, shall we? :)

As for Shama's height, his bio says 155cm as of January 2014: http://www.weed-inc.com/shoma/profile/profile.html. Maybe he is close to 160cm now? ;) Height is not such a big deal as far as Shoma is concerned, I believe. I saw him compete at the last season's J-Nats live. He was tiny on the ice, of course, compared to other senior skaters, but once the music got started and he started his skating, he made the ice rink look 'smaller' to audience thanks to his overall good speed and his charismatic whole body movements. Just like Daisuke. :yes: (OTOH, there were a number of skaters who were older and much taller than Shoma, but they did make the rink look 'wider' to me actually, you know.)

ioanna

Record Breaker
An old tv show featuring Shoma, from around January 2010
http://youtu.be/xfCgXKygBW8

The reporter visits Shoma's school, and Shoma says he's in 6th grade. The reporter tells him he's tiny for a 6th grader and Shoma says he is about 132 cm tall. Then the reporter asks where he's headed and Shoma says he's going at the rink to train. They both go to the rink, where Shoma shows the reporter his jumps and a step sequence.

After they show footage from the 2009 Junior Nationals, the reporter follows Shoma home, where Shoma's dad joins the interview. The reporter asks Shoma when did he start skating, and Shoma tells him he began at the age of 5. Shoma's dad says he practiced at the same rink as Mao.

Mao says Shoma is cute and tiny, but he is very skilled at skating. She says she'd like to have a younger brother like him (not sure about this part, but I think it's something like that).

The reporter asks Shoma what does he want to do as a skater in the future, and Shoma says his dream is to go to the Olympics. His dad says skating boots are expensive - the blades & the shoes cost about 20,000 yen ($195)

Then the reporter asks Shoma which skater does he like most, and he says it's Daisuke Takahashi. The reporter says he has a message for him, and it's from Daisuke. He puts on a DVD and it's a video of Daisuke saying
"Hello Shoma-kun, this is Daisuke Takahashi. Your skating style is very charming and I really like it, so please continue to work hard. It would be nice if we could compete together one day so hurry up, improve and compete with me! Please give your best!"

Shoma tells the reporter he is happy, and in turn sends a message to Daisuke saying "Please give your best at the Olympics!"

My Japanese is poor and rusty so fluent speakers are free to correct mistakes.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Shoma and Yuhana Yokoi met up with JSF President Seiko Hashimoto and Hideaki Omura, the governor of Aichi Prefecture. Shoma and Yuhana will compete at the JGP Nagoya TV Cup.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x230q84_140808-9-12-開幕_sport

And here's Shoma's Asian Open result for the SP
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bul9AAWCcAEJWo9.jpg:large

He's in 1st with a fall on his 3A (but it was rotated!) and he got an edge call (again, but he got a ! and a -0,23 GOE so this may mean he's been working on fixing it).

mikaboo

Medalist
An old tv show featuring Shoma, from around January 2010
http://youtu.be/xfCgXKygBW8

Thanks for sharing the video ioanap. Your Japanese is excellent except the price of boots and blades are 20万円=200,000 yen (and they last for about 6months)

I just want to add that Shoma and his dad said that he started figure skating because Mao would play with him. He was initially going to do ice hockey.

It was good to see Shoma's father and have hope that Shoma could grow as tall as his dad who looks to be about average height. Hard to tell since he's standing near a baseball player.

ioanna

Record Breaker
Your Japanese is excellent except the price of boots and blades are 20万円=200,000 yen (and they last for about 6months)
Oh, I thought so! I was not sure about the kanji and couldn't hear what his dad said either so thank you for correcting :biggrin:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Very nice SP from Shoma. To bad about the fall on the 3A, great transitions and his footwork is very impressive.

Looking forward to seeing his LP!

foruiz

Final Flight
Yaay for Shoma! I hope there would be videos of the LP soon. Is this his senior debut?

jimeonji

Final Flight
I'm feeling like a proud mother again. I love his FS except that last music was kinda ??
And it's difficult to tell if he really rotated his 4t or not.