Shoma Uno | Page 211 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I may be a little bit in love with the dramatic pause in front of the audience.
Edit: And the arm movements on that first spin are so in tune.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I may be a little bit in love with the dramatic pause in front of the audience.

I wonder if that's going to stay in the program though, there are a lot of empty parts in between, the step sequence obviously needs work. WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY FINE. We don't even know how often he skated to this. It's the risk of showing the new stuff at the end of MAY. The season has just ended.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I wonder if that's going to stay in the program though, there are a lot of empty parts in between, the step sequence obviously needs work. WHICH IS ABSOLUTELY FINE. We don't even know how often he skated to this. It's the risk of showing the new stuff at the end of MAY. The season has just ended.

I feel like there's a very good base there to work on for the rest of the off-season. And he has about two weeks now to work on it before Kobe.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I feel like there's a very good base there to work on for the rest of the off-season. And he has about two weeks now to work on it before Kobe.

The base is there. He's going to the US now, and will probably focus working on his jumps, specifically the quads. Maybe he will skate to something else in Kobe/Niigata. Who knows.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
The base is there. He's going to the US now, and will probably focus working on his jumps, specifically the quads. Maybe he will skate to something else in Kobe/Niigata. Who knows.

Oh yeah, I forgot the USA trip is next. His schedule is so packed this off-season I can't keep track of it.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Mark my words this will be a masterpiece SP! Love it already and when it is skated full out he will make a statement!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I trust your expertise demarinis! One great thing is how his programs grow so much during a year and no program is the same. There is always something new to see when Shoma skates. What was the old saying? You cannot win a competition with the SP, but you sure can lose it, or something? I can already hear the cheers to the last spin. That's my favourite part already, hehe.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I trust your expertise demarinis! One great thing is how his programs grow so much during a year and no program is the same. There is always something new to see when Shoma skates. What was the old saying? You cannot win a competition with the SP, but you sure can lose it, or something? I can already hear the cheers to the last spin. That's my favourite part already, hehe.

Well usually I do not make predictions because in this sport anything can happen but from what I just viewed the program really has a lot of potential and it will
grow throughout the season.

If I was a betting woman my "speculation" prediction would be that the gold medal at the Olympics will be a fight between Shoma and Yuzu. It is obvious that
Shoma's team is not looking for a place on the podium for Shoma they are looking at Gold! Of course this is only my opinion.

There are so many talented Men skating this upcoming Season and even though I have my favorites, I do wish them all well! It is going to be
one heck of a ride for us figure skating fans!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well usually I do not make predictions because in this sport anything can happen but from what I just viewed the program really has a lot of potential and it will
grow throughout the season.

If I was a betting woman my "speculation" prediction would be that the gold medal at the Olympics will be a fight between Shoma and Yuzu. It is obvious that
Shoma's team is not looking for a place on the podium for Shoma they are looking at Gold! Of course this is only my opinion.

There are so many talented Men skating this upcoming Season and even though I have my favorites, I do wish them all well! It is going to be
one heck of a ride for us figure skating fans!

I obviously want that Gold for Shoma but I think I would be happy for him if he gets on the podium. Daisuke 'only' has a bronze, but still that bronze meant so much. My gut tells me not to underestimate Nathan Chen first of all. Who knows....I will celebrate Shoma's Gold, Silver or Bronze as long as he's happy with his performance and doesn't cry (only happy tears, please)

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG! SAMURAI SHOMA strikes again. I love it! And I learned my lesson from last year -- the debut is only the framework of what is yet to come. Remember last year when he debuted Loco and fell down on one knee during the step sequence?! Little did we know the greatness that was coming with that. This is a winner! This is probably about 50% of the content at this point.

Yes, Mai Katze, I have heard Kurt Browning (for sure) and also (possibly) Scott Hamilton remark about how skaters should never underestimate the huge importance of the SP. You can't win it but you can lose it with the SP. Also you control your own fate if you do well in the SP. If you do poorly, you have to hope that others make mistakes. I can still hear Kurt saying "SP, just get it done."

Hooray for Shomajesty! :yahoo: Another winner! :hap57: What a great time to be following figure skating! We are so fortunate! Can't wait to see Shomita take this to new heights!... And now I have to go watch it again and again and again.
:clapper: :bang: :dbana: :dance3::dance2::hap10: :hpull: :points:

Last edited:

Hronop

On the Ice
I obviously want that Gold for Shoma but I think I would be happy for him if he gets on the podium. Daisuke 'only' has a bronze, but still that bronze meant so much. My gut tells me not to underestimate Nathan Chen first of all. Who knows....I will celebrate Shoma's Gold, Silver or Bronze as long as he's happy with his performance and doesn't cry (only happy tears, please)

Agreed about Nathan -- my guts tell me exactly the same. I do feel moderately enthusiastic about this season and this program though. I like the way they cut the music, particularly those rests between different sections/phrases -- like the brief one at 1:04, and the central caesura at 1:34-35. This can be accentuated quite nicely with the choreo. I like how his spins work with this music. Obviously, a lot of work still needed to fill in these empty spaces between elements and within the step sequence, but overall it looks very, very promising.
His motto for the last season was 'from tears to a smile', what'd be the one for this season? :)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Loved how in the interview he said he can get feedback on the program by skating it now. I'd say a standing ovation from this sweet audience is a good start! :luv17:

Any placement on the Olympic podium would be a huge honor. The level of the competition and Olympic nerves are going to be tough, so he'll really have to bring it. He can do it though! Whew, that's a long ways away!

Last edited:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is really fun! Here Nobu is giving his skating picks for the upcoming season. I haven't listened to the whole thing, but he starts at 4:50 talking about the men. It's so fun to hear him speak English. Thank you to sheetz for posting this in another thread. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4rhpozD84

Last edited:

Bel

On the Ice
I love Winter already! :points: :hap93: I know it’s far from finished but still. There is a lot of potential in this program. I was a little surprised that the music during the final spin wasn’t used in step sequence because it usually is that way. But when I think about it this is better. It’s more unique way of using the music. And like everyone’s being saying, Shoma will work on it. I think we are going to see a much better version in the first competition in the fall.

I love the parts in the step sequence where he slows down his movements and then in the latter half the tempo goes up. And of course there’s uncle Dai head roll which I love. The final spin is already very good, nice speed! :yahoo: And his smile at the end. He was probably just relieved though that he made it through! :yes2: But will the cantilever pop up during the season?

This season…:bow: Fingers crossed for Shoma on the podium again. I have faith in him.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I love Winter already! :points: :hap93: I know it’s far from finished but still. There is a lot of potential in this program. I was a little surprised that the music during the final spin wasn’t used in step sequence because it usually is that way. But when I think about it this is better. It’s more unique way of using the music. And like everyone’s being saying, Shoma will work on it. I think we are going to see a much better version in the first competition in the fall.

I love the parts in the step sequence where he slows down his movements and then in the latter half the tempo goes up. And of course there’s uncle Dai head roll which I love. The final spin is already very good, nice speed! :yahoo: And his smile at the end. He was probably just relieved though that he made it through! :yes2: But will the cantilever pop up during the season?

This season…:bow: Fingers crossed for Shoma on the podium again. I have faith in him.

You're right...there was no cantilever! *gasp* Did...did he abandon the cantilever? :roll9: Nooo...