Shoma Uno | Page 325 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Oh, that's what it was. So odd, don't they usually time and announce the music during run-throughs? You'd think it would be detected then.

By the way, any thoughts on the final pose? He seems to be projecting a harsher Winter.

Exactly I know right? Even in the video I count 2 min and 51 sec (from 0:28 to 3:19, there could be a little bit of error though). But they must have known it from the practice and run-through. It is just so weird...

And yah the last pose, as we get deeper in the chilly season the pose responds to it.:cool:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So weird on the time thing. Do you think they can challenge that call? I'm just thinking how the results are shown as unofficial :confused: at first, right? Good point that incorrect timing would have shown up when they ran the SP music in practice.

Overall, there were a lot of positives to take away from this. First and foremost, his condition is SO much better than when he was in France. His speed seemed a little better in the step sequence. He really seems to have upped the intensity in general. He was well received by the home crowd. He didn't seem to be plagued by the "I HAVE to deliver in front of the home crowd" mentality. He was probably unhappy / embarrassed about the 3A but didn't let it interrupt the flow of the program. Many other things too numerous to name!

A very good effort in spite of some flaws. We'll see how he does in the FS. He's a pretty good long program skater, so I have high hopes! On the Oly Channel, Ryan Bradley was saying if he had made the 3A, he would have been untouchable in the short. Acccchhhh! shoulda, coulda, woulda! :luv17:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Just stopping by to say how much I enjoyed Shoma’s SP today! Too bad about the 3A (and time violation) but I have to say that was the most artistic fall I’ve ever seen, and I loved his smile. Wishing him all the best tomorrow!

karyi

Rinkside
I'm so frustrated because it was so perfect and bam unexpected fall :palmf:
Good thing is that he didn't choke under the pressure skating in Nagoya and he seems in shape (compare to France).
I will pray for tomorrow :pray::pray::pray:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I bring you two translations this time because we had the pleasure of having our public channel broadcast figure skating as well today! Yes! Well, it depends on how you see it because Daniel Weiss is hit or miss in his commentary. He liked Shoma the best and wasn't exactly smitten with Voronov, Kolyada and Chen. At least he likes Jason Brown better than Eurosport though, hehe.

German Channel ONE - Original Commentary, Shoma Uno SP, Grand Prix Final, Nagoya 7/12/17, Daniel Weiss

Droning on about Kolyada being overscored.

But now let's concentrate on the home game of Shoma Uno. Shoma Uno who is at home here, in Nagoya. 19 years young. Second at the World Championship last year. I like to say it again, the big hero, the galactic Yuzuru Hanyu, Olympic Champion, World Champion is not starting, has to pause three to four weeks, because he hurt his ankle at the Grand Prix in Japan.

We'll listen to Vivaldi, from the four seasons, Winter!

Wonderful beginning! Quadruple Flip!

Attention! Quadruple!

Unbelievable!

Aaaaah! That can't be true! Fall on the Axel.

What a pity! Yes, you can only laugh at that. Shoma Uno, with this, careless mistake. Everything was okay for the Axel, and then the edge slipped away for him. Mannomannomannomann!

A beautiful program, I'm telling it now, no matter what the points will be, this was the best program and he has to lead with this program, even with the fall.

And now, and rightly so the 5 component score are clearly over 9 points. Skating Skills: 9,42. Transitions: 9,08. Performance: 9,33. Choreography: 9,33 Interpretation: 9,33.

This alone is enough to erase the mistake of the Axel. The music - it fits him. Good choice of music. The other two before (Kolyada and Voronov), I've said it, not a good choice of music,

Quadruple Flip, not super high, but nicely executed, it's under revision, if it was round, for me it was. A quarter rotation or less can be cheated, and this was okay, and is given as good. This alone gives him 14 points. For the combination of quadruple Toeloop-triple Toelooop 18, 06 points. Good, at the triple Axel he loses two little points, but he gets these points in Interpretation. One of the Top Skaters in the World right now. That was very clear in these three minutes. But you also feel, the top two skaters are missing, Javier Fernandez who wasn't at his best lately, and Yuzuru Hanyu. Only they can also play in this league, in which Shoma Uno is right now. The ones we saw before, they are outside of this group, especially in skating skills. And now a big scream at this slomo, when the edge slipped away from him at the triple Axel.

Hehehehehe!

Absolute Superstar here in Japan. Yuzuru Hanyu, the Olympic Champion, as well as Shoma Uno, here in his hometown, can't show up, cameras are everywhere, when he appears.

But I can tell you, he will lead. There is no other way. Everything else would be a wonder. Of course, 101,51 points. 2 points deduction? One for the fall and another one, I'll have to look into it, I don't know why, he's wondering too, why a 2 point deduction, it would've been 102 points. We will investigate and tell you tomorrow in the long program.

Original

Jetzt aber konzentrieren wir uns auf das Heimspiel von Shoma Uno.
Shoma Uno der hier in Nagoya zu Hause ist. 19 Jahre jung. Zweiter bei der Weltmeisterschaft im letzten Jahr. Ich wiederhol mich gerne, der große Held der galaktische Yuzuru Hanyu, Olympiasieger, Weltmeister ist ja nicht am Start muss drei bis vier Wochen pausieren, weil er sich beim Grand Prix in Japan den Knöchel verletzt hat.

Vivaldi hören wir, aus vier Jahreszeiten, Winter!

Wunderschöner Auftakt! Vierfach Flip!

Achtung! Vierfach!

Unfassbar!

Aaahhh! Das gibt es doch nicht! Der Sturz beim Axel.

Was für ein Jammer! Da kann man ja nur lachen. Shoma Uno, mit diesem wirklich, Leichtsinnsfehler. Da war alles okay beim Axel, da ist ihm einfach die Kante weggerutscht. Mannomannomannomann!

Ein schönes Programm, ich leg' mich jetzt schon fest, egal was die Punkte sagen, war das das beste Programm und er muss in Führung gehen mit diesem Programm, trotz des Sturzes.

Und jetzt gibt es zurecht, in den fünf Komponenten deutlich über 9 Punkte. Eisläuferische Fähigkeiten: 9,42. Übergänge: 9,08. Performance: 9, 33. Choreographie: 9, 33 Interpretation: 9,33

Das alleine wiegt den Fehler beim Axel locker auf. Die Musik - war passend für ihn. Gute Musikwahl. Bei den anderen zweien zuvor, ich sagte es, nicht die gute Wahl.

Vierfach Flip, nicht super hoch, aber gut ausgeführt, der ist unter Beobachtung ob der rückwärts war, für mich aber in Ordnung. Ne viertel Umdrehung oder weniger als ein viertel darf geschummelt sein, und das war auch in Ordnung und wird jetzt als gut gegeben. Alleine da vierzehn Punkte. Für die Kombination vierfach Toeloop-dreifach Toeloop, 18, 06 Punkte. Gut, beim dreifach Axel verliert er zwei Pünktchen, aber das macht er locker wett wieder in der Interpretation. Einer der Top Läufer der Welt momentan. Das konnte man hier ganz klar in drei Minuten sehen. Aber man spürt auch es fehlen die zwei Top Läufer Javier Fernandez, auch wenn der zuletzt nicht in Top Form war, und Yuzuru Hanyu. Denn nur die können in der Liga mitspielen, in der auch Shoma Uno momentan ist. Da würde ich die davor gesehenen mal aussen vor lassen, vor allem was das läuferische betrifft. Und ein Riesen Aufschrei jetzt noch bei dieser Zeitlupe in der Halle, als ihm da die Kante weggerutscht ist, beim dreifachen Axel.

Hehehehe.

Absoluter Superstar hier in Japan. Sowohl Yuzuru Hanyu, der Olympiasieger als auch er, Shoma Uno, sowieso hier in seiner Heimatstadt, kann sich nirgends blicken lassen, über all sind Kameras dabei, wenn er auftaucht.

Aber ich sag ihnen der wird in Führung gehen. Geht gar nichts dran vorbei. Alles andere wär ein Wunder. Na klar, 101,51 Punkte. 2 Punkte Abzug? Einen für den Sturz und einen gibt's noch extra, das muss ich noch nachreichen, weiß ich nicht, er wundert sich nämlich auch, warum der zweite Punktabzug- sonst wären es 102 Punkte gewesen. Reichen wir morgen bei der Kür nach.

Leonardo

Final Flight
What if Shoma hadn't missed the 3A? That would be +3 (for missing 3 points because of the fall), +2.5 goe for the perfect 3A, +2 for the neutral deductions and probably +1 in pcs overall. 8.5 points missed, he could probably get 110!

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
German Eurosport - Original Commentary, Shoma Uno, SP, Grand Prix Final, Nagoya 7/12/17

(P)etra Bindl: Now the top favourites for the win, and he starts. The 19 year old Shoma Uno. Still 19, in ten days he'll be 20 years old, the Japanese. This is his third Grand Prix Final at Seniors, in the last two years he was third both times, he won the Junior Grand Prix Final in 2014. We will see him with "Winter" from Vivaldi.

(They don't say anything during the program)

P: Ahh...how bitter is that? He's standing the triple Axel and then slips away in the running out, other than that what a great program from him, from Shoma Uno and of course, the Japanese flags are rising in the audience. It's bliss watching him, you cannot describe it any other way.

(H)endryk Schamberger: Yes, skating wise he is absolutely one of the strongest, generally. Jumping-wise, too, very easy the quadruple flip at the beginning, that was certainly impressive. The Axel, well, yes, there was too much rotation in..jumping out. In the end that was what has thrown him out of the edge. Too much pressure.

P: Hihi, he has to laugh himself, too, because I believe this is something that doesn't happen often for him, that he is out of the jump and then slips.

H: Yes, the reason is clearly in the landing. Too much rotation in the upper body, which means more pressure on the edge and then his weight refers to the front, so he loses his footing and then what we saw happens, he slips away. Yes, the quadruple Flip was excellent, he was the first one who showed this jump last year.

P:And now we have the direct comparison to Kolyada, where we mentioned, he keeps a straight face throughout. He (Shoma) lives his program! He lives Winter from Vivaldi on the ice!

H: Well, he too is not showing much facial expression....

P: Yeah, but no...

H:...from the movement there is definitely more there. That's obvious.

P: But look at his eyes!!! There is facial expression. He looks at them (the judges) very differently. I have to say, since he's arrived on the international scene, I'm such a huge fan of him. And here the Combination. I hope we'll see the axel one more time, Hendryk.

H: Yes.

P: That should be it. From this movement it happened. He's standing. How will that be judged? He is out of the jump for two seconds and then fell.

H: No. Those weren't two seconds.

P: Not? Well, perhaps the slomo with the two seconds, perhaps just one second or less in the live picture.

H: Right. In realtime it was definitely less than two seconds. It will be judged like a normal fall, eh, he should have held the position longer. It wasn't enough.

P: But both of them seem to have fun here anyway. I'm sure he will lead with the elements he showed, Shoma Uno. Mikhail Kolyada with 99,02 points is at the front of the pack at the moment. They go over 100 points. 101,51. What would've possible been without the fall?

H: 107 probably around. ehm, what I don't get is, and he seems to be thinking about it too, where does the two point deduction come from? One is for the fall, and the second? I would be interested, unfortunately you can only find out later.

Original

(P)etra Bindl: Jetzt kommen die beiden Topfavouriten auf den Sieg, und er macht den Auftakt. Der 19-jährige Shoma Uno. Noch 19, in zehn Tagen wird er 20 Jahre alt, der Japaner. Läuft sein drittes Grand Prix Finale bei den Senioren, war in den vergangenen Jahren jeweils dritter geworden, das Grand Prix Finale der Junioren konnte er 2014 für sich entscheiden. Und ihn sehen wir mit 'Winter' von Vivaldi.

P: Ach...Wie bitter ist denn das? Er steht schon bei dreifachen Axel und rutscht dann im Auslauf weg, ansonsten was für ein tolles Programm von ihm, von Shoma Uno und da gehen die japanischen Fahnen natürlich hoch beim Publikum. Es ist ein Genuss ihm zuzuschauen, also anders kann man es gar nicht sagen.

(H)endryk Schamberger: Ja, eisläuferisch ist er absolut einer der stärksten überhaupt. Auch sprungtechnisch, wie locker er am Anfang da den vierfach Flip gezeigt hat, das war schon beeindruckend. Der Axel, ja, da ist er einfach mit zuviel Rotation in in...aufgesprungen. Das war letzten Endes das, was ihn aus der Kante geworfen hat. Da kam zuviel Druck.

P: Hihi, da muss er selber lachen, weil ich glaube sowas passiert ihm auch sehr selten, das er schon ausläuft und dann wegrutscht.

H: Ja, aber die Ursache ganz klar, die ist in der Landung zu suchen. Zuviel Rotation im Oberkörper, das erhöht dann ganz enorm den Druck auf die Kante und dann verlagert sich das Gewicht ein bisschen nach vorne, dann hat man nicht so sehr den Halt und dann passiert das was wir gesehen haben, er rutscht weg. Ja, der vierfache Flip ganz exzellent, da war er ja eben auch der erste der ihn im letzten Jahr gezeigt hat.

P: Und wenn wir jetzt den direkten Vergleich haben mit Kolyada, wo wir gesagt haben, er verzieht keine Miene. Er lebt sein Programm! Er lebt Winter von Vivaldi auf dem Eis.

H: Wobei er ja auch, sagen wir mal von der Gesichtsmimik nicht viel hergibt...

P: Ja, aber trotzdem

H:..aber von den Bewegungen ist er schon mehr drin. Das ist ganz klar.

P: Aber schau dir die Augen an! Da ist schon Mimik da. Er schaut die schon ganz anders an. Ich muss auch dazu sagen, ich bin seitdem er dabei ist, in der internationalen Szene, ein Riesenfan von ihm. Und hier die Kombination. Ich hoffe wir sehen den Axel nochmal, Hendryk.

H: Ja.

P: Jetzt müsste er. Aus der Bewegung kam er. Er steht. Wie wird das jetzt gewertet? Er ist eigentlich schon zwei Sekunden ausgelaufen und dann gestürzt.

H:Nee. Das waren keine zwei Sekunden.

P: Waren's doch nicht? Na, dann war das wahrscheinlich die Slomo mit den zwei Sekunden, eine Sekunde wenn es überhaupt war im Livebild.

H: Eben. In realer Geschwindigkeit waren es definitiv weniger, äh, wie zwei Sekunden. Das wird wie ein ganz normaler Sturz gewertet, ihm, da hätte er noch ein bisschen länger ausfahren müssen. Das hat nicht gereicht.

P: Aber die beiden haben trotzdem Spaß hier. Ich bin mir sicher er wird trotzdem in Führung gehen, mit den Elementen die er gezeigt hat, Shoma Uno. Mikhail Kolyada mit 99, 02 Zählern aktuell an der Spitze des Klassements.
Sie gehen über die 100 Punkte, 101,51. Was wäre da drin gewesen, ohne Sturz?

H: 107 wahrscheinlich sogar. Ähm, was mir nicht ganz klar ist, und ich glaube er überlegt sich auch gerade, woher kommen die zwei Punkte Abzug? Einen für den Sturz und der zweite? Das würde mich interessieren, kann man leider erst nachher rausfinden.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
What a time deduction because his hand was moving. What was he doing waving at someone or maybe blowing a kiss. That is bull reason to give a time deduction,
a first for me and I have been following skating for years. What about the fist pumping skaters do during their programs,
I don't see any deductions for that. But I guess rules are rules. :rolleye:

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
his new transition out of triple axel looking good :thumbsup: https://twitter.com/wolfieonice/status/938762314454618112

Shoma playing Shogi with his bro at home https://twitter.com/shomajesty/status/938786122586521600
small shoma playing golf and tennis :sad21: :luv17: https://twitter.com/ciel_maomao/status/938718611643908097
looking fierce https://twitter.com/ParaUnaLoco/status/938832905802878976
https://twitter.com/mainichiphoto/status/938739164530405376
he took picture with small Russian junior Alena who makes him look tall!! (but he is cheating with his skates on!!) https://twitter.com/ISU_Figure/status/938732201352478725

I hope he will do well in the FS and be satisfied with himself. I really would like for him to win but he seems to want to challenge jumps and is in good attack spirits so i guess winning is not the priority. He will be skating last, hope it won't put too much pressure on him even if he has seemed really relaxed :pray: :luv17:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Following are the comments from Ryan Bradley on the Olympic Channel, after Shoma had completed the SP.

Shoma Uno for the first half of that program looked like he was completely dialed in. If he had contended all the way through, he would have a very large lead after the SP because of the quality he put out – beautiful 4F and 4T/3T. His skating and his components are so strong. He has this poise that keeps him in the program from start to finish. He connects with the audience and has this great posture. But the little slip – couldn’t hang on but he stays in the program. He gets so many points in so many ways. His quality is so strong that it makes him one of the favorites going into the Olympic Games.

nolangoh

Record Breaker
What a time deduction because his hand was moving. What was he doing waving at someone or maybe blowing a kiss. That is bull reason to give a time deduction,
a first for me and I have been following skating for years. What about the fist pumping skaters do during their programs,
I don't see any deductions for that. But I guess rules are rules. :rolleye:

This is such nonsense. Alena Leonova fist pumped right after her programs finished and she didn't even hit a complete ending pose. But anyway the gap is still recoverable. He looks good in practice today, keep that going!!

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Well it looks like that time deduction in the SP may have kept Shoma from winning overall. Congrats to him on winning the LP and the Silver medal.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Well, I don't understand why Shoma and coach Higuchi are looking so happy and relaxed. That skate was worrisome. Almost as bad as in France. I mean, really bad.

nolangoh

Record Breaker
That one point...and the combos...and the step sequence(?????)...any one of these could have given him the gold...I don't even know what to say...maybe this wasn't meant for him to win...He lost it himself. I hope the Prince can reconsider the number of quads and the layout. Putting one combo at the last jumping pass is too risky. I think from now on the goal should be perfecting a program, instead of risking too many quads. 4 is imo enough. SHoma has skating skills and interpretation to back him up to win the competitions where he should.

Lesson learned, now to Nationals!!!

Leonardo

Final Flight
That one point...and the combos...and the step sequence(?????)...any one of these could have given him the gold...I don't even know what to say...maybe this wasn't meant for him to win...He lost it himself. I hope the Prince can reconsider the number of quads and the layout. Putting one combo at the last jumping pass is too risky. I think from now on the goal should be perfecting a program, instead of risking too many quads. 4 is imo enough. SHoma has skating skills and interpretation to back him up to win the competitions where he should.

Lesson learned, now to Nationals!!!

I honestly think he will keep his layout. As crazy as it looks.

Little Lady

Rinkside
He won free skate and 2nd overall. Still happy for shoma! Im still bitter with that time deduction... ah well just gonna move on

demarinis5

Record Breaker
Well, I don't understand why Shoma and coach Higuchi are looking so happy and relaxed. That skate was worrisome. Almost as bad as in France. I mean, really bad.

How should they look? It seems they were happy with the score given the mistakes Shoma made. Fluffy knew when they sat done in the K&C how close it was going to be and
Shoma was behind coming into the LP. I think that they were happy that he won the FS and came in second. Of course us Shoma fans wanted him to win and have that perfect
program but that is sport for ya. :).

As to the stability of his program we just have to think positive that Shoma's team will work on stamina (his personal trainer that was just hired will help wth that)
and consistency to get a better result.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm confused why he didn't attach at least a 2T to his 3S, though, since he had it planned in the layout as a 3S3T... The landing on the 3S was smooth enough for it. Stamina and tiredness, maybe?