Shoma Uno | Page 688 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

jerrymouse333

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Thank you Arriba for such a good suggestion.
I really want to know your answer.

1. What was the first program you saw?
Steps

2. When did you realize you loved Shoma?
When he was a teenager (after his senior debut) , I was just a light fan.
But now I’m crazy fan.:dbana:

3. What is your favorite jump?
3A1Eu3F
3A4T (I’d like to see perfect one in competition)

4. What is your favorite spin?
CCoSp especially GP Lavender

5. Have you ever seen Shoma perform live? If so, where?
Of course

6. Which program has your favorite choreography?
Loco

7. What song would you love to see Shoma skate to?
Rachmaninoff Concerto for piano and orchestra No.2

8. What warhorse (overused song) would you want to see Shoma perform to?
The Phantom of the Opera

9. What was your reaction to Shoma winning an Oly medal?
Just happy

10. If you could play any video game with Shoma, what would you play?
I don’t play any video game, so I’d like to play UNO with Uno.

11. What is your favorite Shoma quote?
「14日 課金は負けではない、手段です。」
Spending money is not losing. It’s a method. (It’s about game)
So I can spend money to go to see Shoma.

12. If you could meet Shoma, what would you want to tell him?
I’m always cheering for you!
Ganbatte!

13. What is your favorite pictures(s) of Shoma?
https://twitter.com/colan_totte/status/1013711589910839298?s=2

14. What is your opinion of Shoko-chan?
I was there (The Ice).
He was cute and funny, so next time I hope to see serious version of Shoko-chan.
He must be beautiful.

15. Would you rather see Shoma become a coach or a choreographer?
I wish he would be a coach, choreographer and skater like Stéphane.

16. What is your favorite costume?
Blue Turandot

17. What is your least favorite costume?
Nothing special.

18. If you could spend an entire day with Shoma, how would you want to spend it?
Just looking at his skating.

19. Do you own any Shoma merchandise? (i.e. Colantotte necklace)?
I have calendars and towels.

20. If they made a biographical movie about Shoma, what actor would you want to play Shoma?
I have no idea.
But I think Shoma is one and only and nobody can skate like our Prince.

21. If Shoma starred in a movie, what kind of movie would you want to see him in?
About a man who wants to be a world number 1 game player.

22. Have you ever cried while watching Shoma perform? If so, when?
Worlds 2018, Nats 2018 and 4CC 2019.

23. What is your favorite EX skate?
Great Spirit

24. If Shoma recycled a program, which one would you like to see again?
Loco

25. Do you own Itsuki's book?
Of course.

26. What would you throw to Shoma on the ice?
A teddy bear in Shoko-chan costume.

27. If Shoma switched to pairs or dance, who would you want his partner to be?
Tarah Kayne
(I think she is a member of the DBC.):dance3:

28. What is your favorite program?
Loco

29. What is your least favorite program?
Nothing special.

30. Why do you love Shoma?
I love his skate, his character, and his kawaii and kakkoii face.:love:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Couldn't agree with you more, Bel! Talking about Shoma kun is a favorite pastime of mine! Here are the answers to all.

Turandot 1.0 live at Sk Amer 2015.

I knew I really, really liked him after Sk Amer 2015, but during J-Nats 2015, I found myself really drawn to him and his skating. His demeanor, his smiles, his beautiful skating really captivated me.

His beautiful 3A is in first place, but his gorgeous 3-jump sequence is a very close second.

His spins are all awesome, although I'm rather partial to his headless spin. Please, NO butt spin!!!!!

I am blessed. Sk Amer 2015 & 2016, Sk Can 2017 & 2018, Worlds 2016/2017/2018, GPF 2018, 4CC2019, 2 Glacier Ice Arena ice shows, many hours of training.

I love Ladies in Lavender. From the opening pose where he strikes his softly-lyrical look with those yakiniku-loving lips to the step sequence to the final headless spin. :dance2: I'm rather partial to This Town too. It has such a dreamy quality to it, and I love those butterfly moves and gorgeous spread eagles.

East of Eden and Schindler's List would be the more modern ones. I envision East of Eden rising to the same heights as Ladies in Lavender. It would be perfect for him. (Darn, I think Sota beat him to it on this one -- pretty sure that's his short program for the 2019-2020 season).

Any majestic Rachmaninoff music would be awesome -- in particular Prelude in C# minor, and he'd have to be sure to use the middle "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" section. Oh, it could be epic! :drama:

I would LOVE for him to do the Gypsy Dance from the Don Quijote ballet by Minkus. Wakaba Higuchi and Cha did excellent versions of it, but Sho could top even their programs IMHO.

I was so stressed, I was really glad when his performance was over! But I was very happy that he seemed so happy and yet still kept his humble, unassuming attitude about the whole thing and didn't seem to get carried away by the whole Oly hype.

Ok, I somehow don't think he wants to play Candy Crush. Instead, I'll have him play a game by himself and I'll just stare at him.

Any English (like "We ready") always "tickles" me. For some reason, that cracked me up when he said he skates 8 hours, sleeps 8, and games 8. I figured that was worthy of making a magnet. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/98/4e/f9984e336e982bf4d017b931f5619f15.jpg. But really, how could we ever choose just one?! On a more serious note, I loved at the recent Colan Totte event where he said he hoped people would follow him for his character.

Thank you for your beautiful skating! <3 We ready for more.

13. What is your favorite picture(s) of Shoma?
I won't mention all 500 of them, but some of those ones where he is touching his tie ought to be outlawed. I love the ones of when he was a toddler, the Loco ones where he's trying to look oh-so-serious, any time he is holding flowers he looks Sho-gorgeous. On a more personal level, this will always be a favorite because it is the first time I ever got to touch a Prince. https://twitter.com/Arriba627FS/status/870022151243526147

I can take it or leave it but love that he is embracing his more crazy side and coming out of his shell.

Tough one. Don't know how to answer.

He makes the best-dressed list for a reason, and so many styles look great on him. Of course, I am VERY partial to the Chacott Ladies in Lavender. The shirt is stunning the way it actually twinkles on the ice. When you see it up close, you can see the beautiful sprigs of lavender. Oh, and I guess I've never mentioned...there...is...something...about...those...pants. :scard8:

Above all, Great Spirit. But never liked this one. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/25/73/6925738560918dcb8e00c29e9df841a2.jpg He looks great, but this was reminiscent of another skater and didn't seem to be his style. The flappy wings were VERY distracting, especially since he's so small. Not very flattering IMHO...The horrible / wonderful gray velvet pants from Shombardia 2017 have to be included too!

18. If you could spend an entire day with Shoma, how would you want to spend it?
I would want to go to that Nagoya children's home he goes to and watch him interact with the kids. We would take treats and things the kids need. I really LOVE that he gives back to his community, and from all the pictures I've seen, I think he's good with kids.

19. Do you own any Shoma merchandise?
I have bought all his calendars and have 4 magazines. A friend gave me a gift of his towels (Grampus and Sho cheer towel), and I have the 3 magnets and keychain that I had made to give to fellow Sho fans.
ADDING: How could I have forgotten my precious flag?! https://twitter.com/Arriba627FS/status/897314223050686465?s=20

20. If they made a biographical movie about Shoma, what actor would you want to play Shoma?
A very, very young Al Pacino. I always LOVED Al Pacino (SO handsome in his younger days), and I wonder if maybe Shoma caught my eye because he looked so much like Al!

21.What kind of movie would you want to see Shoma in?
Romantic comedy or an old British-style historical film where he would wear period costumes.

22. Have you ever cried while watching Shoma perform?
I do not allow myself to cry when watching him. I feel my hobby should not make me cry! That being said, I COULD have cried easily after his Boston Worlds free skate or his gold-medal 4CC Moonlight Shomata.

Anything but Great Spirit.

Winter.

No, but I would definitely buy it if it came out in English.

Um...I...refuse...to...answer...on...the...grounds...I...might...incriminate...myself. :slink: I am also VERY partial to the bears in costumes. They're so cute!

Danny O'Shea :laugh2: or Satoko. Satoko and his skating skills together would be like magic.
Adding--After All That Skate, I have to add Morgan Cipres. :clap:

28.What is your favorite program?
Ladies in Lavender with Loco as a VERY close second. Legends was cool too.

Great Spirit.

I love that he is an imp and that he is finally letting his whacky sense of humor show. He has a good heart. I love that he shows his gratitude to people who work with him and have helped him get to where he is today. I love that he gave a heartfelt performance in honor of Denis Ten when he passed away. I see him as polite, quiet, unassuming, humble, and lots of other good qualities. The fact that he is (and was) so small but never allowed that to get in his way of working hard and striving to be better impresses me. His perseverance is inspiring. More than anything, I LOVE that he's not perfect!

rabidline

Final Flight
Okay, I gave in and did the rest of the questionnaire XD
Apologize for the length.

“It’s not easy to go after what you want but even if you face it head on, even if you give up, I think the most important thing is that you decided it for yourself.”

Also a part of it but his “I don’t think I have a right to say anything about this or can say anything, with my ignorance and lack of knowledge.” when answering questions about Rikako Ikee (who got diagnosed with Leukemia) is something I tell myself everytime I’m about to have knee-jerk reactions on IRL stuff XD

Thank you for being an inspiration, and good luck for everything.
I don’t know how to put it in words but I also really want to wish him all the happiness and kindness in the world.

13. What is your favorite pictures(s) of Shoma?
Ugh, every picture is my favorite picture of Shoma??? Because he’s a very photogenic person???? And his lines are one of the most exquisite in the figure skating world??

I found these two photos from Worlds 2017 and I love them so much, I’ll put them here as an offering:
https://shoma-uno.tumblr.com/post/159158166397/yanablumka-shoma-uno-world-championships-2017

I LOVE HER, AND I HOPE SHE GRACES ME WITH HER PRESENCE WHEN I GO TO THE ICE THIS SUMMER. PLEASE.

Huh. Whatever he wants to be, I guess? It’s cute to imagine him surrounded by tiny skating children though XD

It’s tied between Loco and Purple Winter. The latter’s deep sparkly V-neck was a revelation (no it was literally the first costume I’ve ever seen Shoma in, thanks to Leslie Jones.)

All the costumes where he has his V-neck covered by the NUDE ILLUSION MESH on his chest. Yes, all of them. Kreutzers, Don Juans, those shirts he has for EX that has those illusion mesh. YOU TOO, GREY STAIRWAY. The one I can excuse is probably Blue Turandot.

Eating. Please take me to all your favorite restaurants, Shoma.

19. Do you own any Shoma merchandise? (i.e. Colantotte necklace)?
I have his Olympics mook and several figure skating magazines with him on the cover. And the 25ans hahah.

No idea? I’m pretty sure there’s a bunch of Japanese actors who people think looks similar to Shoma but I can’t recall any names on the fly.

21. If Shoma starred in a movie, what kind of movie would you want to see him in?
Oooh, those action heist movies, like Ocean’s Eleven.

22. Have you ever cried while watching Shoma perform? If so, when?
Turandot 2.0 at Worlds 2018 was the first time I cried since I first know of him, I went through so many emotions in four and a half minutes. Both of his programs at Nationals 2018 also made me tear up- one of the things I wanted badly for Shoma last season was a good showing at Nationals that he can be proud of, and he did that.

Every EX has its special place in my heart, but right now it’s Time After Time. Sultry Shoma~

Bad Boy Good Man XD Also probably a remastered Loco.

No.

Probably a plushie, one of these: Gudetama, Snorlax, Jigglypuff or Charmander.

This is easy because I think about this all the time: switch to dance, partner with Satoko! It will probably be a disaster but I hope they do a collaboration at least once in my lifetime.

28. What is your favorite program?
For the sake of fairness and avoid “every Shoma program is my favorite program”, I did a Shoma program sorter and the Top 5 went like this: Kreutzer, Loco, Time After Time, Legends and Moonlight Sonata.

The sorter is here by the way, if anyone’s interested: https://musettas.tumblr.com/shomasorter

Using the same sorter above, the Bottom 5 went like this: Turandot 1.0, Tanguera, Don Juan, The Blessed Spirits, Steps. I still love all of them hahahah.

Honestly, before Shoma I didn’t know if getting invested in figure skating is something I should do. It’s a sport I have complicated feelings with; and I’ve tried to get into it several times using the Winter Olympics as entry points, only to back off because I don’t think I can handle the intensity and subjectivity of the sport without there being something in the sport I really believe in and enjoyed regardless of scores and podiums and medals, to balance the other things out.

Finding Shoma was a sort of revelation for me, I think? He's not perfect- I don't need him to. He doesn't win all the time- I don't need him to. His skating looks and sounds just right, to my eyes and ears.

I mentioned in one of the previous questions that I saw a video of his Ladies in Lavender at Worlds 2017 after Olympics, and I remember being obsessed with it for about 2-3 weeks after seeing it for the first time and just kept repeating that program over and over every time I can. Everything about that skate is fascinating to me. His movements and skating are so in tune with with his music, to the point that the sound of his blades that were caught on video was in harmony to the music that was playing. After that skate, I knew I love and connect to his skating, and it’s not just because of how it look in his certain programs, and not just because it scored high in certain competitions.

And of course, what I can see from Shoma himself as a person, from the things he shares publicly. There’s something very human about him. He shows his kindness in his own straightforward, blunt way. He’s so strong, and yet very vulnerable at the same time. The odds are stacked very high against him in this sport, technically and mentally, and yet he continues to attack, even though it already takes so much of him just to level the playing field.

Shoma said in the Colantotte meetup that he’d rather us see his character through his skating rather than his personality. I think his skating is beautiful, but his character that he shares with us makes it something I root for wholeheartedly.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

When I saw Uno pull that inner switch, and he went from hyperfocused on his skate to that million watts smile of his at the Olympics. It made the difference between, ‘well, Olympics is on, maybe I should check out figure skating again’ to ‘it personally matters to me that this guy wins. I am invested.’ I was looking up ‘cantilever’ in no time afterwards.

Truth be told, I did not even watch male singles skating till then except for galas, just ladies and pairs.

Imov

Medalist
Couldn't agree with you more, Bel! Talking about Shoma kun is a favorite pastime of mine! Here are the answers to all.

Turandot 1.0 live at Sk Amer 2015.

I knew I really, really liked him after Sk Amer 2015, but during J-Nats 2015, I found myself really drawn to him and his skating. His demeanor, his smiles, his beautiful skating really captivated me.

His beautiful 3A is in first place, but his gorgeous 3-jump sequence is a very close second.

His spins are all awesome, although I'm rather partial to his headless spin. Please, NO butt spin!!!!!

I am blessed. Sk Amer 2015 & 2016, Sk Can 2017 & 2018, Worlds 2016/2017/2018, GPF 2018, 4CC2019, 2 Glacier Ice Arena ice shows, many hours of training.

I love Ladies in Lavender. From the opening pose where he strikes his softly-lyrical look with those yakiniku-loving lips to the step sequence to the final headless spin. :dance2: I'm rather partial to This Town too. It has such a dreamy quality to it, and I love those butterfly moves and gorgeous spread eagles.

East of Eden and Schindler's List would be the more modern ones. I envision East of Eden rising to the same heights as Ladies in Lavender. It would be perfect for him. (Darn, I think Sota beat him to it on this one -- pretty sure that's his short program for the 2019-2020 season).

Any majestic Rachmaninoff music would be awesome -- in particular Prelude in C# minor, and he'd have to be sure to use the middle "I'm Always Chasing Rainbows" section. Oh, it could be epic! :drama:

I would LOVE for him to do the Gypsy Dance from the Don Quijote ballet by Minkus. Wakaba Higuchi and Cha did excellent versions of it, but Sho could top even their programs IMHO.

I was so stressed, I was really glad when his performance was over! But I was very happy that he seemed so happy and yet still kept his humble, unassuming attitude about the whole thing and didn't seem to get carried away by the whole Oly hype.

Ok, I somehow don't think he wants to play Candy Crush. Instead, I'll have him play a game by himself and I'll just stare at him.

Any English (like "We ready") always "tickles" me. For some reason, that cracked me up when he said he skates 8 hours, sleeps 8, and games 8. I figured that was worthy of making a magnet. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/98/4e/f9984e336e982bf4d017b931f5619f15.jpg. But really, how could we ever choose just one?! On a more serious note, I loved at the recent Colan Totte event where he said he hoped people would follow him for his character.

Thank you for your beautiful skating! <3 We ready for more.

13. What is your favorite picture(s) of Shoma?
I won't mention all 500 of them, but some of those ones where he is touching his tie ought to be outlawed. I love the ones of when he was a toddler, the Loco ones where he's trying to look oh-so-serious, any time he is holding flowers he looks Sho-gorgeous. On a more personal level, this will always be a favorite because it is the first time I ever got to touch a Prince. https://twitter.com/Arriba627FS/status/870022151243526147

I can take it or leave it but love that he is embracing his more crazy side and coming out of his shell.

Tough one. Don't know how to answer.

He makes the best-dressed list for a reason, and so many styles look great on him. Of course, I am VERY partial to the Chacott Ladies in Lavender. The shirt is stunning the way it actually twinkles on the ice. When you see it up close, you can see the beautiful sprigs of lavender. Oh, and I guess I've never mentioned...there...is...something...about...those...pants. :scard8:

Above all, Great Spirit. But never liked this one. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/25/73/6925738560918dcb8e00c29e9df841a2.jpg He looks great, but this was reminiscent of another skater and didn't seem to be his style. The flappy wings were VERY distracting, especially since he's so small. Not very flattering IMHO...The horrible / wonderful gray velvet pants from Shombardia 2017 have to be included too!

I would want to go to that Nagoya children's home he goes to and watch him interact with the kids. We would take treats and things the kids need. I really LOVE that he gives back to his community, and from all the pictures I've seen, I think he's good with kids.

19. Do you own any Shoma merchandise?
I have bought all his calendars and have 4 magazines. A friend gave me a gift of his towels (Grampus and Sho cheer towel), and I have the 3 magnets and keychain that I had made to give to fellow Sho fans.

20. If they made a biographical movie about Shoma, what actor would you want to play Shoma/
A very, very young Al Pacino. I always LOVED Al Pacino (SO handsome in his younger days), and I wonder if maybe Shoma caught my eye because he looked so much like Al!

21.What kind of movie would you want to see Shoma in?
Romantic comedy or an old British-style historical film where he would wear period costumes.

22. Have you ever cried while watching Shoma perform?
I do not allow myself to cry when watching him. I feel my hobby should not make me cry! That being said, I COULD have cried easily after his Boston Worlds free skate or his gold-medal 4CC Moonlight Shomata.

Anything but Great Spirit.

Winter.

No, but I would definitely buy it if it came out in English.

Um...I...refuse...to...answer...on...the...grounds...I...might...incriminate...myself. :slink: I am also VERY partial to the bears in costumes. They're so cute!

Danny O'Shea :laugh2: or Satoko. Satoko and his skating skills together would be like magic.

28.What is your favorite program?
Ladies in Lavender with Loco as a VERY close second. Legends was cool too.

Great Spirit.

I love that he is an imp and that he is finally letting his whacky sense of humor show. He has a good heart. I love that he shows his gratitude to people who work with him and have helped him get to where he is today. I love that he gave a heartfelt performance in honor of Denis Ten when he passed away. I see him as polite, quiet, unassuming, humble, and lots of other good qualities. The fact that he is (and was) so small but never allowed that to get in his way of working hard and striving to be better impresses me. His perseverance is inspiring. More than anything, I LOVE that he's not perfect!
Woah this is a great idea.
Once I am home I will work on anawering everything too.

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
This is shocking news! Wonder if he is moving to Raf ?

Wishing Shoma good luck on his new move!

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania
There are already articles on this:
https://twitter.com/InTheLoPodcast/status/1135437849661136896?s=20
https://twitter.com/sn_figure/status/1135433349382713344?s=20

I’m still trying to get over the initial shock, it’s something I never thought would happen and I don’t know how to react. It takes a lot of courage and determination to decide something like this, that’s for sure. I’ll continue to support him no matter what. I really really hope he finds a training place and a coach that can offer him a good environment like Mihoko and Machiko did for so many years. ��

Lol and when I think we were complaining about the lack of news and wondering why he didn’t announce his programs yet

Lyyli

On the Ice
Also I am stunned by him leaving his longtime wonderful coaches, but at the same time I think it is great that he has the courage to make the change as for sure he feels he needs it.

Still there are lots of questions in my mind. Why he announced the change before knowing who the next coach will be? Is this a very recent decision? Is the upcoming training camp like a test for him? If it works out well will it be his new training base? I also wonder what is the role of Japan Fed in this process. How about his sponsors?

Whatever happens I hope all the best for him in all areas, skating, funding the training etc. Surely he and his family know what they are doing and everything is taken care off. Best of luck Shoma!!!

rabidline

Final Flight
A very big news indeed, thank you jerrymouse for sharing the original update.

Not gonna lie, I'm tearing up over the "graduation" post because Machiko and Mihoko, especially Mihoko have been such a big part of Shoma's career and life. A big part that helped shaping him into who he is as a skater and person. My wish is that they continue to be a part of his life, maybe not in coaching capacity. And probably still some programs by Mihoko, even though that may be difficult if he's with another group. I really do love their artistic partnership.

I guess we'll find out about the new coach and training base this summer. The announcement is giving me more questions than answers on the future at the moment...

skatefan22

Medalist
OMG?! Does it say that Shoma will change coach? I always think he should change coach to help improve his jumps, but I've never believed that he will actually do so. I love his interaction with Mihoko. They are so sweet and lovely together whenever they are. I am shocked honestly. So who will he switching to??

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
It's a worry and even after he settles in with a new coach, it may take a season for the benefits to really kick in, but we can keep all fingers crossed (no matter how hard that makes typing) and trust in him.

Gonna be exciting as well...