Shoma Uno | Page 703 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
I have read this article. I can't remember if it was posted here in FF or somewhere else.

Don't delete it as some folks may have not read the article yet, and if they have
rereading about Shomita is always nice. :dance3:

Zenchio63

Final Flight
Not sure if this was posted yet. If it was, please let me know and I will delete. We're starting to get duplicates of stuff (understandably!)
https://translate.googleusercontent...700259&usg=ALkJrhi74tBqJUFnEZCG7IS6k5TIcZPVNw

Thanks for the link to the translated article, Arriba! demarinis5 is right, I haven't read it and really enjoyed the content, especially the funny Russian translations:

If Uno was the first in official competitions to decide on the most complicated cascade - triple axel plus quad sheepskin coat, then it’s time for the Russians to understand that there is nothing impossible in this world.

Does that mean Shoma will do his 3A-4T wearing a "sheepskin coat" while training in the "Crystal" castle? :laugh:
That needs to be on film! :clap:

Zenchio63

Final Flight

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Thanks for the link to the translated article, Arriba! demarinis5 is right, I haven't read it and really enjoyed the content, especially the funny Russian translations:

If Uno was the first in official competitions to decide on the most complicated cascade - triple axel plus quad sheepskin coat, then it’s time for the Russians to understand that there is nothing impossible in this world.

Does that mean Shoma will do his 3A-4T wearing a "sheepskin coat" while training in the "Crystal" castle? :laugh:

The words for "toe loop" and "sheepskin coat" are the same in Russian apparently. The word (тулуп/"tulup") can also mean fool/idiot in a few languages, and I definitely remember someone Bulgarian(?) on this forum mentioning that his/her father(?) calls people "quad tulups" when driving(?).

rabidline

Final Flight
The words for "toe loop" and "sheepskin coat" are the same in Russian apparently. The word (тулуп/"tulup") can also mean fool/idiot in a few languages, and I definitely remember someone Bulgarian(?) on this forum mentioning that his/her father(?) calls people "quad tulups" when driving(?).

Yes, "sheepskin coat" refers to "toeloops" when translating Russian (the Cyrilic alphabet?) with Google Translate XD I'm not Russian myself but after the 363347738th article where I read quadruple sheepskin coat in the place where it should be a 4T, I got the message loud and clear :rofl:

Oh, I have been waiting a looooong time for a side-by-side cantilever from Shoma and Sasha! :love: Wasn't sure I'd ever see it.

They did it in GPF 2017 gala practice too! How time has passed. Also matching perfectly with Beyonce's song in the background (thanks P/C for your music):

https://youtu.be/JccYz3xlLSU

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, "sheepskin coat" refers to "toeloops" when translating Russian (the Cyrilic alphabet?) with Google Translate XD I'm not Russian myself but after the 363347738th article where I read quadruple sheepskin coat in the place where it should be a 4T, I got the message loud and clear :rofl:

Ohhhh, I want to see his face better! :sad4: Some of the translations are great. Don't they also translate "skater" as "criminal"? "slide" for "skate". demarinis, I remember you posting that hilarious translation that I think was describing Uncle Dai.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Ohhhh, I want to see his face better! :sad4: Some of the translations are great. Don't they also translate "skater" as "criminal"? "slide" for "skate". demarinis, I remember you posting that hilarious translation that I think was describing Uncle Dai.

LOL the translations are so funny. Not sure what translation of Dai that I posted Arriba there are so many.

Over the years Dai has been "criminal slide jumpless" (fell on quad jump), "murdered women" (lady killer)
"expression ships" (artistic, sexy) to name a few. It is fun trying to figure out what they mean though.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am laughing so hard... lol, yup, I saw that toe loop is translated as the sheepskin coat, but to be fair, it is spelled exactly the same in Russian, and it is originally an English word (toe loop) but sounds like Turkish-languages-derived (I think?) super-heavy floor-length winter coat. Honestly, they should have spelled toe loop in two words, and a bit different in Russian, but that ship had sailed a hundred years ago or so...

They also often use ‘sal’to’ instead of salchow, as far as I can tell. I think it may come from acrobatics/circus term?

The rest of the jumps is recognizable iirc.

22. Have you ever cried while watching Shoma perform? If so, when?

Nope. His skating always has an opposite effect on me, it makes me happy, so I smile instead.

IceCrystalChris

On the Ice

Haha tell me about it! I've also been a fan of Evgenia Medvedeva for over a year now and the Russian to English translations can be hilarious! [emoji23]

I'm itching to know what Shoma's programs are going to be, and if he is going to end up competing coach-less or not this season. His GP assignments seem pretty good too, (I'm from the UK so timezone wise I can hopefully watch some of his performances live on TV). He'll have some tough competition but I believe he can definitely medal in both. [emoji123]

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Shoma and Nikolai Kolesnikov. I am a double-dead banana. :love: :love: (If you've never watched Nikolai, do check him out! He's very talented, and the artistry and expressiveness he has at only 10 years old are amazing.)

Oh, well, Uno in a tulup... I am just picturing this classic image... honestly, if anyone can as much as do a 1T in that, he deserves a gold medal.

https://images.app.goo.gl/ConmUfxtVU5CLNd5A

I have a knee-length one that I could probably do a shaky 1T in. Then it could pad my fall when I drop from overheating. :laugh:

A costume made to look like one sure would be nice.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Shoma and Nikolai Kolesnikov. I am a double-dead banana. :love: :love: (If you've never watched Nikolai, do check him out! He's very talented, and the artistry and expressiveness he has at only 10 years old are amazing.)

I have a knee-length one that I could probably do a shaky 1T in. Then it could pad my fall when I drop from overheating. :laugh:

A costume made to look like one sure would be nice.

Knee-length iirc would be ‘polushubok’, I think tulup is always to the floor, but don’t quote me on this (I am digging deep here, lol, there is a whole lot of Russian words for winter coats, for obvious reasons). But yeah, the weight of those things and how hot anything real fur is... I dunno what music choice it would go with? Ivan Susanin/Life for the Tzar? Juno and Avos’?

Dunno if Uno can pull off Susanin.

rabidline

Final Flight
@shomaunofr on Twitter (ran by @evaonice_) is organizing a fan project for Shoma at IDF, themed "La Vie En Rose"! You can check the Twitter for more info in English and French, they are giving a rundown on what the project will include and how you can participate:
https://twitter.com/shomaunofr/status/1142691071337488384

Fan Book project for the gift:
https://twitter.com/shomaunofr/status/1142710331392679936

This is a very lovely one: adopting a Koala under Shoma's name at WWF :love:
https://twitter.com/shomaunofr/status/1142759554888822785

They're open for contact on Twitter in case you have any questions or queries you want to ask :)

Also, speaking of La Vie en Rose... a lovely reminder of Shoma's beautiful EX, last skated in Marseille, France. Shoma + Bocelli + Edith Piaf = :love:
https://youtu.be/IEl7WGsM_ts

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Oh, cool, thank you for the link! I found a u-tube list with all Uno’s skates, but, boy, is it mercilessly pruned.

23. What is your favorite EX skate?

Great Spirits, no contest! Gods, I adore that EX, the costume and the energy!