Shoma Uno | Page 713 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
So, from what I understand it means that Uno is looking for a placement with sort of Russian training system, in a group atmosphere but with more than one leading men who train multiple quads.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
From ZIP this morning, featuring Shoma practicing some jumps with Honda-san at the boards.
https://twitter.com/hitsuji_one/status/1150926212035837953

I see the quad, but the preview they have before segueing to the feature... is that a spiral transition... into a jump?

Looks like a spiral into an axel but can't see the rest of the jump to tell whether it's a 2 or 3A...I love the thought that someone is correcting his jumps in Japanese. Wonder if he'll work with Shae while she's in JPN for Friends on Ice. If I remember right, last year they "tweaked" Great Spirit while she was there.

OniBan

Final Flight
Ahahahahaha well, either that, or it's a portmanteau of Stephane Lambiel and Brian Joubert :laugh:

hahahah! so it's a person comprising of 75% Lambiel and 25% Joubert? XDDD

(the whole Lambert thing brought me to looking up Highlander movie soundtrack, and realized lots of skaters have skated to music from this movie, thanks to Queen's 'Who Wants To Live Forever')

OniBan

Final Flight
So, from what I understand it means that Uno is looking for a placement with sort of Russian training system, in a group atmosphere but with more than one leading men who train multiple quads.

I don't think Shoma had said anything as specific as this? And I personally don't think he meant specifically just 'men' either - just that the general idea of 'he'd look forward to train in an environment with the presence of other skaters who are also doing multiple quads.'

rabidline

Final Flight
hahahah! so it's a person comprising of 75% Lambiel and 25% Joubert? XDDD

(the whole Lambert thing brought me to looking up Highlander movie soundtrack, and realized lots of skaters have skated to music from this movie, thanks to Queen's 'Who Wants To Live Forever')

Speaking of Lambert, there's another Lambert that I would love to see Shoma skate to his music someday- Adam Lambert :luv17:

And I personally don't think he meant specifically just 'men' either - just that the general idea of he'd look forward to train in an environment with presence of other skaters who are also doing multiple quads.

I agree, and also I love that we're taking the training camp at Russia as experience in trying to guess the meaning of Shoma's words :biggrin:

Bcath

On the Ice
Shoma, Shane-Lynn, Honda-san and Stephane ...sounds like a fun collaboration. Photos from the Japanese training camp remind me of the “enthralled face” of Shoma. His brother used that term a few weeks after Worlds to describe Shoma’s return to his happy self. So, photos of the camp gave me a good dose of the “enthralled face” of Shoma.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In light of the possibility of future collaborations of Stephane and Shoma, it seems like a great time to bring back this interview where Stephane is trying to explain what it is like to work with Shoma. I love his positivity and his love for Shoma. Interesting how he struggles to find the words to describe him.
https://youtu.be/P-mKl8_iu-k?t=282

c3zara

On the Ice
Country
Romania

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CuhyShoma

Rinkside
I've been away from GS for a while, thanks for so many good updates about Shoma : luv17:... I see the photos of Shoma and he looks so happy in the Team Japan training camp, that warms my heart! With main coach or not, my support will always be with him! My adorable boy :amor:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Getting nostalgic now with thinking about Takeshi being Sho's jump coach. I still LOVE his SP from the 2001-2002 season to Don Quijote. As a matter of fact, with my love for war horses, I would be so happy if Sho would skate to this. I don't see it happening, but one can dream. Here is Takeshi's video, if anyone is interested. Love the explosive 3A.

dramasocks

On the Ice
KISS&CRY have the comprehensive interview with Shoma at the JSF Training Camp, with lots of interesting and intriguing things:
https://www.tvguide.or.jp/feature/kissandcry/20190717/01.html

I really hope the full interview gets translated in English soon!

Mei-san (@feimeicheng) at IG has translated little bits of the interview:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B0AlfUZJDe3/
I hope we get a full interview soon as well!

Looking forward to this season, these programs, and where he’ll take us! I especially admire and respect the direction he’s going in pursuing programs that he feels he’ll enjoy and that feel more true to himself rather than appealing only to jumps.

A few more parts of the KISS&CRY interview translated :)
https://twitter.com/yawning_shoma/status/1151409016247115777?s=21

EDIT: I just saw the part about choosing a coach! I do appreciate the wisdom of not rushing to select a new main coach, but if I’m honest, I do feel a little nervous for our boy going into this season. However, I’m still excited for his growth and what we’ll see from him going forward.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
I did this incomplete translation for a friend who is self-claimed "his maman" - I just cherry picked the parts of her interests.

Initially the idea to look for the new horizon came from Coach Yamada, the older lady. She felt that it was time, she felt that looking for a new challenge in a new environment will do him good, because he has been so coccooned in a comfy, familiar atmosphere for his entire career. (He didn't elaborate further, saying he is incapable of communicating her ideas and explanation very well) - when he told Ms. Mihoko about all this she was fully supportive and assured she will continue to support him no matter what.

For this, he said he will do his best to attain the best results possible, which he believes his former coaches would be pleased to see.

He is happy with the camp in Russia. He was prepared for hard training with Tutberidze, but towards the end of the camp, surprisingly she showed some human, gentle side as well, and he was glad to have a better mutual understanding with her. He became used to train at his own pace in recent years, it felt like he time slipped to his little boy years, training under various orders, do this! do that!

The reason he said the new programs will be like an exhibition program -
He always made his competition programs with Ms. Mihoko. Shae Lynn & David Wilson (who will do his SP and FP, respectively in August) has worked with some of his Ex programs, so in that sense it will make him feel like doing an exhibition program.
SP with Shae Lynn will be a wild, powerful number. She made me get over my embarrassment, face paint and all, with the Great Spirit program, we will take that energy to another level for the SP.
Wilson sent him 2 suggestions of the music, he replied him saying which one he prefered - but he had no idea what music it is, title or artist (very Shoma like lol) - just sounds Ex-ish.

Approach for this season - not to criticize the system, the sport is all about jumps today. You wanna win, you jump. If you can't jump, you lose and it's not fun. So all the programs are made based on jumps, every movement, every element centres around the next jump to follow. But this season, I want to shift that attitude, and I want to concentrate on building a program which expresses myself, tells something about myself, and I told that to David. I want to compete with a program which is really mine, a program with which I can truly feel myself.

The reason he announced that he will probably just remain coach-less.
At this point, it is becoming too close to the new season. All the coaches have already mapped out the plan for the coming year. I don't think it's a good idea, or correct even, to suddenly ask a new coach, at this period of the year to commit to me, accompany me to all the competitions etc. So I don't hold a high hope for finding a suitable permanent arrangement so quickly. I try to work hard at my own pace and see what comes along.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the last point, which proves contrary to some people who criticized him for being arrogant, this is something to be considered!

Well, looking at the GP season, Shoma will be at IdF, after Deniss did SC the week before. Grenoble is only a 2 and a half hours drive from Champery, it's not like Stephane has to fly across the world or anything, it's quite doable IMO. Then both Deniss and Shoma will be at Rostelecom. Stephane will be likely to travel to Japan for the Nationals to accompany Koshiro anyway... Not a bad set-up if Stephane is to continue looking after Shoma ....????