Will there be a warhorse epidemic this season? | Golden Skate

Will there be a warhorse epidemic this season?

Layback11

Record Breaker
We saw it with POTO and Carmen last season, Romeo & Juliet and Firebird in 2013-14, and probably something else in 2012-13: one warhorse was used by innumerable skaters in one season. Now, with programs for the upcoming season being announced by the minute, the people are wondering what's next: is there another epidemic on the horizon? As of now, we've seen a lot of really original music choices (with a smattering of Les Miz and Great Gatsby programs), so it's looking good, but...

Are we in the clear yet?

Yes? No? Are we doomed to another six month warhorse epidemic?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
LOL, the topic of this thread already has become a warhorse itself :laugh:.

(But undeniable that people love to discuss this subject -- the reason why it is a warhorse ;).)

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I sure hope not!

But if they must...can the competition people at least make sure that skaters with the same music don't go one after the other like at Worlds, because that ended up been really irritating, if not a bit hilarious. First time viewers must have been so confused! :laugh:

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I sure hope not!

But if they must...can the competition people at least make sure that skaters with the same music don't go one after the other like at Worlds, because that ended up been really irritating, if not a bit hilarious. First time viewers must have been so confused! :laugh:

:agree:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Hmm towards an Olympic year I think we usually get more warhorses, I hope not, everybody should follow Yuzuru's example and go for something new in at least one of the programs

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Hmm towards an Olympic year I think we usually get more warhorses, I hope not, everybody should follow Yuzuru's example and go for something new in at least one of the programs

Well, I'd say Fernandez is one of the better examples have TWO non-warhorse programs... with his Black Betty SP... and yeah his FS was more his campy shtick, but it wasn't a warhorse either.

It's astounding that in such a creative sport and a world of music out there, so many skaters go with has-been choices of music. Even with lyrics introduced, people simply did versions of warhorses that had lyrics.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Well, I'd say Fernandez is one of the better examples have TWO non-warhorse programs... with his Black Betty SP... and yeah his FS was more his campy shtick, but it wasn't a warhorse either.

It's astounding that in such a creative sport and a world of music out there, so many skaters go with has-been choices of music. Even with lyrics introduced, people simply did versions of warhorses that had lyrics.

True Javier is also a good example but having two totally brand new programs is a lot to ask for and uncommon so one is good enough for me, I don't mind so much if they want to do their own interpretation a song that has already been used as long as they are still challenging themselves at the same time with different music

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
There are already two My sweet and tender beasts in the SD :) I don't mind as I love this music.Although this music to me is A/P!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
True Javier is also a good example but having two totally brand new programs is a lot to ask for and uncommon so one is good enough for me, I don't mind so much if they want to do their own interpretation a song that has already been used as long as they are still challenging themselves at the same time with different music

Well, I know there are greater costs to having brand new programs, but it isn't that hard to learn two new programs. Of course, it's always good to have one program that you're comfortable with. I agree, that if the interpretation and choreography is different there's nothing wrong with doing something familiar. But I appreciate most the skaters who challenge themselves and bring something unexpected to the table.

Slightly OT: did Anna Pogorilaya end up choosing a program from her social media suggestions btw? It'd be a shame if some random person suggested Carmen to her and she went with that, lol.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Slightly OT: did Anna Pogorilaya end up choosing a program from her social media suggestions btw? It'd be a shame if some random person suggested Carmen to her and she went with that, lol.

Last week there was an article saying she hasn't even started on her programs since she had 1 exam left to take.

lyndichee

Medalist
I really hope after the last season, most skaters/coaches/choreographers now know what kind of vocals work and don't work for skating programs and will work around that. I feel like if skaters can find a sweet spot with more popular pieces of music, figure skating could become a little more popular. More variety in programs and use of more songs that are familiar to younger audiences can help make the sport more interesting. Going to Stars on Ice made me realize that a majority of fans today are seniors and I fear that if younger audiences aren't more attracted to the sport, it'll be even harder for skaters to make a living.