Alexander Petrov | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Alexander Petrov

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yes, he was super cute when he was young. :love:

He's still cute, and probably will always be cute. :)

I looked at some pictures of the football player you mentioned and I see a vague resemblance - similar complexion, but not really too much alike. Actually Sasha reminds me of the actor Mackenzie Astin when he was young. He might be a little obscure if you aren't from the US...he was on tv shows like the Facts of Life.

Meoima

Match Penalty

I looked at some pictures of the football player and I see a vague resemblance - similar complexion, but not really too much alike. Actually Sasha reminds me of the actor Mackenzie Astin when he was young. He might be a little obscure if you aren't from the US...he was on tv shows like the Facts of Life.
Omg... They look so alike!! :jaw:

adelia

Record Breaker
Galina Golubkova's (head coach of Russia's junior team) opinion on Sasha and Russian junior mens skating:

"We lag far behind in the men's figure skating. Last finals once again showed that today without a quad jump as a junior and already very difficult to win and compete for prizes. Yes, Sasha Petrov - well done. He did everything he could. However, to claim the medal highest dignity with such a set of jump elements, we can not, because there is no arsenal quadruple jump.

Of course, it is worth noting that Alexander only one of our singles made it to the final of the men's junior competitions. We have other abilities boys: Sasha Samarin, Dima Aliyev, Andrew Lazukin ... But they, unfortunately, can not compete on equal terms with the strongest foreign competitors. They lack what distinguishes Shoma Uno, Sota Yamamoto ... Japanese skaters perform all the elements at high speed with a large stroke, powerful. Plus multi-jumping. For example, the Chinese junior Jin Boyang includes any program three quads - triple toe and Salchow. So that our children have something to work with."

How encouraging of her. Sasha "did everything he could", as if he could do no better. -_-
And regarding her other comments. All Lazukin needed was a podium finish in the last JGP but he bombed it. And he bombed it partly because he was too tired after skating in his first GP only the week before. Rus Fed messed up the JGP assignments. They could have had 2 men in the final, potentially anyway.
https://translate.google.com.sg/tra...e-v-yuniorakh-uzhe-ne-vyigrat.html&edit-text=
http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/581-gal...yzhkov-dazhe-v-yuniorakh-uzhe-ne-vyigrat.html

s_parks

Record Breaker
Galina Golubkova's (head coach of Russia's junior team) opinion on Sasha and Russian junior mens skating:

"We lag far behind in the men's figure skating. Last finals once again showed that today without a quad jump as a junior and already very difficult to win and compete for prizes. Yes, Sasha Petrov - well done. He did everything he could. However, to claim the medal highest dignity with such a set of jump elements, we can not, because there is no arsenal quadruple jump.

Of course, it is worth noting that Alexander only one of our singles made it to the final of the men's junior competitions. We have other abilities boys: Sasha Samarin, Dima Aliyev, Andrew Lazukin ... But they, unfortunately, can not compete on equal terms with the strongest foreign competitors. They lack what distinguishes Shoma Uno, Sota Yamamoto ... Japanese skaters perform all the elements at high speed with a large stroke, powerful. Plus multi-jumping. For example, the Chinese junior Jin Boyang includes any program three quads - triple toe and Salchow. So that our children have something to work with."

How encouraging of her. Sasha "did everything he could", as if he could do no better. -_-
And regarding her other comments. All Lazukin needed was a podium finish in the last JGP but he bombed it. And he bombed it partly because he was too tired after skating in his first GP only the week before. Rus Fed messed up the JGP assignments. They could have had 2 men in the final, potentially anyway.
https://translate.google.com.sg/tra...e-v-yuniorakh-uzhe-ne-vyigrat.html&edit-text=
http://fsrussia.ru/intervyu/581-gal...yzhkov-dazhe-v-yuniorakh-uzhe-ne-vyigrat.html

I may be overreacting and a bit defensive here, but she can shove it. Petrov is more than a year younger than both Jin and Uno. Mishin is the best technician in the country and knows far better than her when to put in quads and whatnot.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I may be overreacting and a bit defensive here, but she can shove it. Petrov is more than a year younger than both Jin and Uno. Mishin is the best technician in the country and knows far better than her when to put in quads and whatnot.
Agree. Boyang and Shoma are both 17 already. And it's not like they are much much ahead of Sasha who has much better axel.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
There should be no rush to put a quad in, and I believe Mishin is someone who thinks long-term rather than pushing a skater to do it all too early. He has been through it all with his other students...Papa knows best. ;) And there have been plenty of skaters who peaked early & couldn't sustain their career because of injuries.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Shoma Just got his 3A and his 4T like, a few months ago. Petrov surely has no need to rush things. He's doing very well.
Sota's 3A is so new it still has wrapping on it as well. Each in their own time. :cheer:

Meoima

Match Penalty
There should be no rush to put a quad in, and I believe Mishin is someone who thinks long-term rather than pushing a skater to do it all too early. He has been through it all with his other students...Papa knows best. ;) And there have been plenty of skaters who peaked early & couldn't sustain their career because of injuries.
Agree. Mishin has been very patient with Liza and it paid off. Sasha is just 15. If he hasn't had a quad, while his competitors who are 17 have it already, it's not like the end of the world.
And meh, I still think Sasha should have that silver but it doesn't matter. There's still national and junior worlds. They couldn't lowball him forever.

adelia

Record Breaker
Her attitude just reflects how little Rus Fed values Sasha's achievements. Second JGPF in a row, and at age 15! In the past four years, how many Russian male juniors have made it to two JGPFs? I can only think of two, Kovtun and Sasha. And how many international male juniors managed to achieve that by age FIFTEEN? I cannot think of any in recent years. How many international juniors can win 3 gold medals and 1 bronze at Senior Bs in a single season. Not many. There was hardly any media coverage in Russia when he achieved all this. Only short blurbs on the major sports websites. Instead we got dozens and dozens of articles (and even interviews) when Kovtun did his military service this year, which every other skater in his age group did. Yes, I am annoyed.

adelia

Record Breaker

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

I looked at some pictures of the football player you mentioned and I see a vague resemblance - similar complexion, but not really too much alike. Actually Sasha reminds me of the actor Mackenzie Astin when he was young. He might be a little obscure if you aren't from the US...he was on tv shows like the Facts of Life.

Mackenzie Astin, yes! He looks like Petrov :biggrin:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker

Okay, several issues with this.

- I liked Sota Yamamoto at JGPF. But could someone who knows juniors better than me explain why Golubkova is speaking like he's in a different league to Sasha? He was 2nd and 2nd in his JGPs. Sasha was 1st and 2nd. Just 'cause Sota beat him in JGPF... how suddenly Sasha can't compete with Sota? :scratch:
- Boyang Jin just proved it doesn't matter how many quads you plan. You need to actually deliver them.
- If Sasha had landed a quad and lost because he messed up other stuff, or because a certain judge murdered his PCS, we'd instead get talk about "Mishin's students are only about jumps." It's impossible to please everybody...

adelia

Record Breaker

- I liked Sota Yamamoto at JGPF. But could someone who knows juniors better than me explain why Golubkova is speaking like he's in a different league to Sasha? He was 2nd and 2nd in his JGPs. Sasha was 1st and 2nd. Just 'cause Sota beat him in JGPF... how suddenly Sasha can't compete with Sota? :scratch:
- Boyang Jin just proved it doesn't matter how many quads you plan. You need to actually deliver them.
- If Sasha had landed a quad and lost because he messed up other stuff, or because a certain judge murdered his PCS, we'd instead get talk about "Mishin's students are only about jumps." It's impossible to please everybody...
Yeah, and one of Sota's second place finishes was in fact behind Sasha and the other behind Lee June Hyoung. Or maybe she also thinks the Russian junior mens team is lagging far behind June Hyoung too. She talks without logic. I can only conclude that this is some kind of political statement, whatever the reasons are.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Frankly I think Sasha has much authority and comand on ice than both Shoma and Sota. The Japanese men looks to me as very well-trained. But I don't like Daisuke-wannabe and Yuzuru-wannabe. They don't have the same spirit as Dai and Yuzuru.

And it's true that their transition and choreography are somewhat better than the Russian. But it's not like Sasha is much behind. Shoma is 17, 2 years older, so of course he must have a quad, given how competitive their environment is. Still we haven't seen how realiable his quad and 3A are under true pressure. Sota is still troubled with the 3A and his 2A is not very excellent to begin with. And so what, Sasha had a bad SP, but his LP was so much better, than Sota, the point is he was lowballed on PCS. Someone there truly want to drop him off the podium.

Sasha is just 15!! Seriously, why do they compare him to a 17 year old who has more time on ice than him? Sasha is clearly the better jumper and when he gets his quad, he will be much better than now.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^Ouch. Dai-wannabe and Yuzu-wannabe? :laugh: I do like Sota, mainly because of his lines and flexibility. Sasha has more command of the ice though. And he probably has the best 3A of them all (seriously, what's with all the juniors and their 3A struggles?)

Yeah, and one of Sota's second place finishes was in fact behind Sasha and the other behind Lee June Hyoung. Or maybe she also thinks the Russian junior mens team is lagging far behind June Hyoung too. She talks without logic. I can only conclude that this is some kind of political statement, whatever the reasons are.
Lol, I'd forgotten about that. Maybe Golubkova did too, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. Then again, she's the head coach...

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice

I agree that Golubkova's words sound like a political statement, adelia. (In fact, I didn't expect her to take consideration of all those competition results too carefully, lol. ) Not only do I dislike her attitude towards Sasha's achievement at this JGPF, but I also dislike the message behind her review (something like "Our Fed can't take you too seriously because you don't have a quad"). Seems another example of RusFed's overemphasis on the importance of high-difficulty jumps.
She's right about one thing, though: that the Russian junior men do not have "excellent skating skills plus difficlt jumps" yet, which seems to be today's winning formula. Yes, the Russian men has improved a lot and it's exciting, but it's not like their international opponents have been standing still.
IMO, where the Russian junior men lag furthest behind their strongest opponents is skating skills, rather than technical elements or other four aspects in PCS scoring. In terms of skating skills, Russian men are not having a good reputation at this moment. And it doesn't look encouraging at junior or advanced novice level (with the exception of little Gumennik, maybe), which is really something for RusFed to worry about.

Anyway, I wish both Adian and Sasha would improve greatly over time, in skating skills and many other aspects, to become the face of Russian Men's figure skating. (No excitement over Kovtun playing this role, either.) Both have the potential, and I have to say both are very good-looking :love::love: Maybe two good-looking boys at the same time is a little bit too much for me :eek::