2016 Youth Olympic Games, 12-21 Feb | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2016 Youth Olympic Games, 12-21 Feb

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You know, it would have been nice if, when they were bringing in the flags, they had put the name of the Flag Barer and their sport on the graphic.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Liked the way that some of the Flag Barers wore traditional dress. It's just a pity that more didn't.

Felt sorry for the Turkish guy who got his flag tangled around the flagpole and didn't get to wave it as much as the others as he was having to untangle it.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
2 skaters in the 5 representatives of the continents.

Malaysian Men's skater CHEW Kai Xiang

Canadian Pairs Skater Justine Brasseur

Wonder what sports the others were from. (They should have put that on the graphic too)

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Finally here comes Yuna

I know there has only been one Winter Youth Olympics before, but it would have been nice to have had past competitors from the Winter Youth Olympics, rather than past competitors from the Winter Olympics.

Like, say, the reigning Youth Olympic Ladies Singles Skating Champion. ;) :biggrin:

(Particularly appropriate seeing as what she went on to achieve last season!)

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sorry to be a pain, but what time does the first event start in the U.S. (I'm in Pacific)? (I've looked everywhere but I can't find the schedule.)

The USFS fanzone Competition Central page gives the figure skating schedule in ET.

As usual, the fanzone page includes lots of handy links as well -- such as CL_fan's PDF of the schedule in local time for all sports; the ISU page for figure skating results; the Olympic YT channel; etc.

ETA:

"Figure skating recaps will be posted on the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone," per the USFS announcement below.

It too has the figure skating schedule in ET, with start and end times.

http://usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51833&type=media (Feb 11)​

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Don't really understand that whole sketch with the wee fella leading up to the arrival of Marit Bjoergen with the Olympic Flame.

But I thought it was nice getting the King's granddaughter to light the cauldron.

Getting back to the sketch, and it was very disappointing that when the skier was "skiing" up the ski jumping hill, you could see the rope attached to him, pulling him up. :disapp:

Also, was it just me or did the wee fella's backing dancers during the dance sequence make you think of the putty patrollers from Power Rangers?

(Incidentally, after noticing that some of the dancers were obviously female, it started me wondering if we ever had putty patrollers that were female... :confused: )

CaroLiza_fan

siela

On the Ice
US needs to take the Youth Olympics seriously.
Men: Vincent Zhou
Ladies: Karen Chen
That would be my pick.

Such attitude is expressed not only by the US officials. It is pretty obvious on this forum as well. On Russian figure skating forum the Youth Olympics topic belongs together with World/European Championships while here it belongs together with 'Other' competitions.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Well, when hardly any of it is going to be broadcast anywhere, it's hard to drum up too much excitement. For all the expense that obviously went in to putting on this event, I find it quite ridiculous that they aren't going to show ANY of the men or pairs live (and possibly not at all), and only the ladies' and ice dance free programs. If almost every little senior B competition can put out a stream of some sort these days, surely they can do the same for the skating here.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Such attitude is expressed not only by the US officials. It is pretty obvious on this forum as well. On Russian figure skating forum the Youth Olympics topic belongs together with World/European Championships while here it belongs together with 'Other' competitions.

I fully agree with you that events like the Youth Olympics and the Universiade are not appreciated enough in a lot of countries.

And, that is one of the reasons that I make a point in including them in my ISU Predictions Games. Trying to do my bit in raising awareness of them.

Personally, I would have the Youth Olympics, Universiade, WTT and TCC all in the same classification as Europeans, 4 Continents, Senior Worlds, Junior Worlds and the Olympics. But, maybe that is just me.

That said, silverfoxes does have a point that the difference in coverage says that the powers that be do not consider all these competitions to be at the same level.

But, it is up to us to show our support for these competitions, and maybe the powers that be will start taking more notice of these competitions, and we will start getting decent coverage.

CaroLiza_fan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, when hardly any of it is going to be broadcast anywhere, it's hard to drum up too much excitement. For all the expense that obviously went in to putting on this event, I find it quite ridiculous that they aren't going to show ANY of the men or pairs live (and possibly not at all), and only the ladies' and ice dance free programs. If almost every little senior B competition can put out a stream of some sort these days, surely they can do the same for the skating here.

To put things into perspective:

The YOG live streaming is on the YT channel belonging to the Olympics.

More YOG live streaming is being devoted to figure skating than to any other sport -- with the exception of ice hockey.

So who is/are "they?"
Not the ISU, which presumably does not have any control over the programming on the Olympics channel.​

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker
There will be no livestream for the pairs event, to my understanding. Is this correct? (I wanted to see Rose/Goodpaster, Duskova/Bidar, the Chinese pair whose names I don't remember, and Borisova/Sopot...:cry:.)

MeaganSkater

On the Ice
Really wishing we could somehow get a live stream for all the figure skating events but I fear we might only get a 5min recap video of any events not shown live on the youtube channel.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just put on the Youth Olympics for the Cross Country Sprint. And I was surprised to find that there is commentary on the stream.

It sounds like Graham Bell, who normally commentates on the BBC.

So, I wonder who will be commentating on the figure skating.

I really hope it will be Ted Barton, given that he is familiar with the skaters from commentating on them at the Junior GP's.

CaroLiza_fan

Ployliesk8

Rinkside
I only saw ladies singles and the ice dance in the upcoming livestream. Is there going to be the men's too?

Sabine

On the Ice
In the girls event you will have 7 ladies in the last group, but only 4 in the second. This is weird. They should skip this world ranking stuff for junior competitions, because how should young skaters earn points (there is just one chance at JGP if you are not age eligable for senior).