Golden Skate Lessons | Golden Skate

Golden Skate Lessons

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Have you learned any good Golden Skate coping tricks this year? I know I have, and lot of them I have learned from following in CaroLiza_fan's footsteps!

:bow: Thank you, sensei!

The rest were happy accidents.

Anyway, here's today's trick, from the Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Fan Fest thread!

Using the following trick, you can find out who is the number one FAN on Golden Skate ,:cheer: of any skater

You can either read the lead up or cut to the chase HERE

too fun.

Mrs. P beats me out as the number one Jason Brown fan ;).

Please tell us about any new tricks you have learned, or ask how someone did something you can't figure out.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... one of the members with a high post count in this thread ...

How on earth do you guys know how many posts people put in a thread?

*runs for the Internet cave of shame* ...

LOL, I was wondering the same thing as Sam-S ... until I decided that I think CL_fan meant, "one of the members in this thread who has a high post count" -- meaning a high post count on GS overall, not specifically within this thread.

But I shouldn't underestimate CL_fan, who has all kinds of tricks up his sleeve ;) :bow:. Wouldn't surprise me if he knows something that mere mortals like me do not.

#LoiteringInTheCaveOfShame

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
LOL, I was wondering the same thing as Sam-S ... until I decided that I think CL_fan meant, "one of the members in this thread who has a high post count" -- meaning a high post count on GS overall, not specifically within this thread.

That would make less sense to me. Caro has more overall posts than I... and I can count at least 6 members on this one page alone that have more overall posts than I do.

Anyhow, in this thread:

sabinfire: 105 posts
CaroLiza_fan: 71 posts

and adelia at 211! :thumbsup:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That would make less sense to me. Caro has more overall posts than I... and I can count at least 6 members on this one page alone that have more overall posts than I do.
Anyhow, in this thread:

So did you use the advanced search function to search within this thread by each GS member??

My apologies to CL_fan. I hadn't thought of that method when I posted earlier ... and even if I had, I would have been too lazy :hopelessness: to do ten (or more) searches :laugh:.

#ReturningToTheCaveOfShameAndNeverComingOut

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Considering all the other complex and time-consuming projects that CL_fan embarks on, this one wouldn't be too bad. If you're familiar enough with the 'usual suspects' in the Liza thread, the search thread tool will return results in a couple of seconds, and you could perform 20+ searches to have your top 10 list developed in as little as 5 to 10 minutes... if one cared to dive into that sort of thing. ;)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Good morning everybody (feeling all warm and fuzzy inside)

Didn't realise I was already at #6 in posts in this thread (surpassing CaroLiza_fan himself)... go me!

My excuse is that it was only during the season just passed that I started visiting the Fan Fest forum, and posting in it. Before that, I avoided this part of Golden Skate completely.

But, I've now seen the light and realised the error of my ways.

Although understandably, I imagine most of the activity for Liza's topic has spiked recently over the past year.

Yeah. Sam's comment a few days ago that something they had posted exactly a year ago was only on page 10 of this thread pretty much says it all!

How on earth do you guys know how many posts people put in a thread?

*runs for the Internet cave of shame*

But I shouldn't underestimate CL_fan, who has all kinds of tricks up his sleeve ;) :bow:. Wouldn't surprise me if he knows something that mere mortals like me do not.

#LoiteringInTheCaveOfShame

Nope, it was for this thread itself that I was talking about. If it was for the whole of Golden Skate, I wouldn't even come close to the Top 100, never mind the Top 10! Like, look how many posts Mathman has!!!

By the way, Golden, you are 13th in the list of most posts on the whole of GS! I'm not even on the first page...

Anyhow, in this thread:

So did you use the advanced search function to search within this thread by each GS member??

My apologies to CL_fan. I hadn't thought of that method when I posted earlier ... and even if I had, I would have been too lazy :hopelessness: to do ten (or more) searches :laugh:.

#ReturningToTheCaveOfShameAndNeverComingOut

Actually, I didn't do it using the Advanced Search. But, I can imagine how time consuming it would be if somebody did attempt it like that. Like, first you would have to go through the thread and see whose names keep appearing to get an idea who to then do a search for. I may do some time consuming research for some of my pet projects, but I couldn't be bothered doing it for something like this!

Considering all the other complex and time-consuming projects that CL_fan embarks on, this one wouldn't be too bad. If you're familiar enough with the 'usual suspects' in the Liza thread, the search thread tool will return results in a couple of seconds, and you could perform 20+ searches to have your top 10 list developed in as little as 5 to 10 minutes... if one cared to dive into that sort of thing.

And, quite frankly, I don't care. Some members may be obsessed with having a lot of posts, but I am not like that. I was just curious to see if statistical analysis could help us work out who wanted to be the new OP.

So, now for the moment of revelation!!!

It's actually quite simple to find out the post count for each poster within a thread. But, it is not obvious how to do it. I probably shouldn't admit this, but I found out purely by accident one time!

I had the Fan Fest forum main page open in a narrow window (I was watching a stream in another window alongside GS at the same time), and was trying to click on the last post link for a thread. And my hand slipped, and I ended up clicking on the wrong place. And, lo-and-behold, a pop-up window appeared listing everybody who had posted in that thread, ordered by the number of posts they had in that thread!

After quite a few attempts at repeating it to try to find out what I had done, I discovered that this window appears when you click on the number of replies in the "Replies / Views" column. And it only works if you click on the number itself; it doesn't if you click on the word "Replies".

A very ingenious feature which vBulletin should make more obvious!

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

LRK

Record Breaker
That's so fun - I had no idea! And I also had no idea that I had that many posts here... I'm not trying to "achieve" a high post count, either - but it is curious to see just how much babbling I've done....

Note: Just to point out that this is coming from the person who only joined GS in the first place because that was the only way to see the forum, and who told herself that just because she had joined, it did not mean that she actually had to post, and she could just continue to blithely lurk - which resolution lasted a grand total of around two minutes. Literally.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
There is no shame in that LRK, so I was also!

I am almost afraid to use the function on my favourite skaters' threads; it might become apparent that skating is my only life! :laugh:

It would seem that I am still the number one poster in Joshua's thread (nearly 20 ahead of Golden), but of course our dear Golden is Max's number one fan (to no-one's surprise, I am sure!), nearly 70 posts clear in that thread.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Anyway, here's today's trick, from the Elizaveta Tuktamysheva Fan Fest thread! ....

Thx for starting the thread, Doris :).

And thx to CL_fan for sharing his trick :bow:.

I do have a suggestion for the OP:
For those who want to cut to the chase, how about saying there that the first trick is in post #6 from CL_fan?​

I don't want someone who is just trying to learn something to get impatient with or even confused by my extraneous chatter before CL_fan had a chance to reveal the trick.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
I still prefer my method. Makes you feel as though you really worked for it. ;)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Golden411, I took your advice and added a link to the OP to CaroLiza_fan's post.

Here's another thing I learned today. I have long been annoyed by the way the list command works. To put in a bulleted list, there are two ways to do it. The easier is to just type your list:

one

two

three

four

five

Then go to Advanced editing, select the list items, and click on the bullet list icon in the second row of options, not quite half way acros.

• one
  • two
  • three
  • four
  • five

If you have a space between lines, the software either erase the space, leaving you with no space between list items, or puts another bullet there..

I want the space so that it is easier to click on links on a mobile phone, particularly when every bullet includes a link.

I finally found something that works, although I am sure there MUST be a better way. I insert a single entry table with no data after each list item. And surprise, there is a blank space there. I then copy the code over after each bullet.
My other attempts to do this have been completely foiled by vbulletin so far.

• one
  • two
  • three
  • four
  • five

So is there an easier way? Using the base list command gives you the extra bullet, if you enter a blank, and then the software eliminates even that.

1. one
  2. two

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
whoa, that is nifty. Proudly proclaiming myself as Jason's No. 7 fan (although allowances should be made for those of us who joined later):laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, thank you for copying the conversation to a new thread. I had been worried that with it being in a Fan Fest that it wouldn't be picked up on.

That is actually a great idea starting a thread about how to do things. It will be handy to have one place to go to for tips and tricks.

Plus, there is something I have been wondering how to do for ages, and somebody might know! And since it is connected to the experimenting Doris has been doing, this is the perfect opportunity to ask.

When you are posting lists, is there any way to get the list to start at a number other than number 1?

When I was writing this post in Word, I was able to modify each of the points in the second list to start counting at the number I wanted them to. But, I cannot see a way of doing this using the vBulletin system.

In the end, I had to bodge the second list, by just typing the numbers before the sentences, and putting in idents in a vain attempt to make it look like a list.

Now that I have seen Doris' idea of using the bullet points feature and typing in the numbers after the point, that would definitely have been a better solution. But, I still wonder if it is possible to do it through the proper channels.

Anybody know?

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Looking at the post I linked to in my previous comment above, I realised that the first list in it is the way Doris wants it.

Golden411, I took your advice and added a link to the OP to CaroLiza_fan's post.

Here's another thing I learned today. I have long been annoyed by the way the list command works. To put in a bulleted list, there are two ways to do it. The easier is to just type your list:

one

two

three

four

five

Then go to Advanced editing, select the list items, and click on the bullet list icon in the second row of options, not quite half way acros.

• one
  • two
  • three
  • four
  • five

If you have a space between lines, the software either erase the space, leaving you with no space between list items, or puts another bullet there..

I want the space so that it is easier to click on links on a mobile phone, particularly when every bullet includes a link.

I finally found something that works, although I am sure there MUST be a better way. I insert a single entry table with no data after each list item. And surprise, there is a blank space there. I then copy the code over after each bullet.
My other attempts to do this have been completely foiled by vbulletin so far.

• one
  • two
  • three
  • four
  • five

So is there an easier way? Using the base list command gives you the extra bullet, if you enter a blank, and then the software eliminates even that.

1. one
  2. two

As I said above, I wrote my comment out in Word first before pasting it in using the WYSIWYG mode.

When pasting something in from Word, I have found that when you skip one line, vBulletin translates that into skipping 2 lines.

The result is that, when you post the comment, you end up with 2 lines between paragraphs. And when you write comments as long as I do, it is a real nuisance having to delete all these extra lines between paragraphs!

However, these double skipped lines work differently in lists. When you post the comment, instead of getting a double skipped line between the points, a single skipped line appears between the points.

So, in summary, if you skip 2 lines between each point, then vBulletin will insert 1 skipped line between them.

For example:

1. One Potato

2. Two Potato

3. Three Potato

4. Four

(Guess who has just been reading matmuh's comment about Michal Březina! :laugh: )

The thing that annoys me most about this skipping line business, though, is that you cannot seem to get a single skipped line between the end of a list and the paragraph after it. I have tried so many different connoctations, and nothing seems to work.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
• one
• two
• three
• four​

I want one space, not one space more.

On the third screen of my cell phone, there is a bullet image. Between that and Indent, lists can be made.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Golden411, I took your advice and added a link to the OP to CaroLiza_fan's post...

Thx, Doris :).

So, in summary, if you skip 2 lines between each point, then vBulletin will insert 1 skipped line between them.

For example:

1. One Potato

2. Two Potato

3. Three Potato

4. Four

• one
• two
• three
• four​

I want one space, not one space more.

On the third screen of my cell phone, there is a bullet image. Between that and Indent, lists can be made.

Doris, are you saying that you want to achieve the spacing shown in CL_fan's One Potato list? In other words, single line spacing btwn bulleted items?

His method works for me. (Thx for another great tip, CL_fan :bow:.)

If my coding is as below (with double line spacing btwn items) -- except with brackets substituted for parentheses -- I get the list (with single line spacing btwn items) shown below the coding:

(LIST)
(*)a

(*)b

(*)c

(*)d
(/LIST)

~~~~~~~~~

• a

• b

• c

• d

I did need to manually insert the double line spacing into the coding after clicking on the bulleted list button.
If you're saying that you want to avoid the bother of manually inserting the extra lines into the coding, then unfortunately I don't have an answer for you :eek:hwell:.

... The thing that annoys me most about this skipping line business, though, is that you cannot seem to get a single skipped line between the end of a list and the paragraph after it. I have tried so many different connoctations, and nothing seems to work. ...

What works for me is the coding/spacing below (again with brackets substituted for parenthesis) at the bottom of your list:

(LIST)
(*)one

(*)two
(/LIST)
First words of next paragraph ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~

• one

• two
First words of next paragraph ...

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here is a cute trick

Actually Marin reminds me of Mao not only her appearance but also the way she skating.

Here are some pictures of Marin on the ice. she is photogenic :)

These could be repurposed as a list.

Here's a move that can be kind of a juke

It is also true that any character, including emoticons, can have links under them:

Try having a click on this: :points:

;)

And here's another fakeout. Try selecting the box:
How to hide an answer!

The things I learn from spammers.

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Here is a cute trick

Actually Marin reminds me of Mao not only her appearance but also the way she skating.

Here are some pictures of Marin on the ice. she is photogenic :)

These could be repurposed as a list.

That is so cool! :agree:

And, as a kind of a follow on, here is one for those are finding the limit of 5 images per comment is too little for the amount of emoticons they want to use. Insert unicode emoticons instead. They may not look as cool as the vBulletin ones, but they do not count towards the image count.

A trick I learned from... Liza Tuktamysheva! ;) :biggrin:

I found this out through posting this comment:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Tuktamysheva&p=1155587&viewfull=1#post1155587

Apologies in advance if I inadvertantly create some monsters through this piece of advice! (I can imagine some particular members going mad on the emoticons after this...!)

Here's a move that can be kind of a juke

It is also true that any character, including emoticons, can have links under them:

Try having a click on this: :points:

Oh, Doris! Hadn't come across the word "juke" in this context before (here, it means to crouch down or hide), but I see from definition number 2 (and most of the ones below it!) that it has innuendo attached to it as well!

Personally, I don't like the idea of hiding links behind emoticons. Because, it is too easy to miss them as people just assume they are, well, regular emoticons. I prefer having something that is more recognisable. Which is why I like those unicode numbers that yhmafan used in the first example you quoted.

And here's another fakeout. Try selecting the box:
How to hide an answer!

The things I learn from spammers.

Posting with a white font colour is great if you want to have hidden elements to your comments. The problem is if somebody then quotes the comment. The reason being that, although you have to really focus in to make it out, the white does stand out against the blue background of the quote box. So, after going to the bother of hiding something, it is now easy to see! Which really defeats the purpose.

I've actually posted secret messages on here a couple of times. The first time I tried it, though, it backfired big time. I was trying to be witty about something, with the punchline hidden. But, when you replied, Doris, it was obvious that you hadn't seen the hidden part, as you thought I was being narky! A month or two later, and I still feel really bad for annoying you by trying to be smart.

I am not going to link to that particular comment. But here is the second (and final) comment that I posted a secret message in:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...Tuktamysheva&p=1166777&viewfull=1#post1166777

So, because of my own experience and the risk of people quoting it, I would advise against having hidden messages.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited: