IceNetwork to stream free on-demand coverage of Freezer Challenge | Golden Skate

IceNetwork to stream free on-demand coverage of Freezer Challenge

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Nice the footage will become available (and free) eventually -- not sure I caught a date as to when -- but this will not be a livestream.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2015/06/23/132376812 This in response to the poster who asked if there would be streaming of the event.

Your thread title -- "IceNetwork to stream free on-demand coverage of Broadmoor Open" -- is very misleading.

The exact quote:
Icenetwork will provide FREE on-demand video, photos and news from the Freezer Aerial Figure Skating Challenge, which is set for Friday at the Colorado Springs World Arena.

The Freezer Challenge is only one small part of the Broadmoor Open.

Nice the footage will become available (and free) eventually -- not sure I caught a date as to when -- but this will not be a livestream.

And "an edited highlight package" of the Freezer Challenge is what will be available, per this afternoon's Facebook post from the Freezer Challenge.

Not the Freezer Challenge in entirety, I'm afraid.

ETA, excerpt from this afternoon's Facebook post (emphases added):
... Unlike previous years, we will not live stream the Broadmoor Open and have decided not to live stream the Aerial Challenge as well. This decision was made after much deliberation. In the end, we believe that it is in the best interest of this exciting new event to showcase the results in an edited highlight package following the competition that will appear on icenetwork.com. With a new format, the testing of a new scoring system and the venue’s inconsistent internet connectivity, we feel it’s best to deliver a more fully produced presentation to help create even more interest in what we hope will become a fan-favorite event in the future! Stay tuned for more details and links to the highlight video when it becomes available. ...
https://www.facebook.com/FreezerAerialChallenge/posts/414992768703161

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
That Facebook post is really something. Yes, I'm sure a tape-delayed "edited highlight package" will create more excitement for the event, as long as you can avoid all the tweets and live-blogging about the results.

And the reason they can't livestream the event: the venue has a bad internet connection.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That Facebook post is really something. Yes, I'm sure a tape-delayed "edited highlight package" will create more excitement for the event, as long as you can avoid all the tweets and live-blogging about the results.

And the reason they can't livestream the event: the venue has a bad internet connection.

Which, funnily enough, was never a problem for Wheat Designs.

In other words, I think this post can be interpreted as: shoot, we're getting backlash, we need to come up with some "justification" for the decision, what do we do?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think the post could be more honest than some of you think. They may have realized that it is a bit rough still and likely to have a lot of low points. In someways having people check the stream, but never see jumping, might not turn out so well. Maybe they are sadly expecting arguments and head scratching. I don't know if i agree with their choice, but i can believe that they think this way.

Ironically they likely looked at youtube and saw how the fans do it, and figured, "hey let's follow their lead, and post clips of each skater" I am not sure why both is such a bad idea, but ohh well.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Ironically they likely looked at youtube and saw how the fans do it, and figured, "hey let's follow their lead, and post clips of each skater" I am not sure why both is such a bad idea, but ohh well.

Are you saying the GS Jumpamatron concept hijacked the live-streaming of the Freezer Challenge? ;)

I could buy the explanation, due to being a new event, there may be a lot of disorganization/confusion during the live piece (especially with the mention of a 'new scoring system')... though if they are that uncertain about the excitement of the event 'live', my anticipation to watch the free highlights later on is somewhat diminished.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My apologies to Layback11 for neglecting to thank you for noticing that the line about the on-demand Freezer coverage had been added to the IN article. It was not in the original version of the article.

Which is just one more example of less than forthcoming communication in this weird saga.

ETA, thanks to the mods for adjusting the thread title.​

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Okay. So they don't want to present an unpolished event to the world.

That's still no excuse for cutting us off from the rest of the Broadmoor Open.

Yes, I've just seen the Sr Men's entry list, and yes, I am now extra cheesed off.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
@golden411 thanks so much for posting the Facebook blurb.

It's kind of funny how they're trying to spin this after initially stating that there would be a live stream. And as Karne pointed out, that doesn't explain why they aren't streaming the rest of the comp. But realistically, they're not going to publicly admit they screwed up, so oh, well. ;)

Last edited: