USFA Test dresscode | Golden Skate

USFA Test dresscode

Myblade

Rinkside
Hi guys! I will be testing for the pre-preliminary MIF and freeskate soon. I am wondering if I have to dress up. Some people say that you have to wear a figure skating dress, but I don't own one of those... and I don't think I will for some time.:eek:hwell: What I do have is a nice pair of Chloe Noel skating pants and jacket, so could I wear those instead? Also, this is just the first test level, so not all of the testing kids will be all glitz and fancy right? Well, to put my question in a nutshell- Could I wear my skating pants and jacket ,and if I do, will I stand out in a bad way from the rest of the fancy shimmery kids? If this will be any help- I live in California and I am 12 years old.
Thanks for answering!:)

Skategmt

On the Ice
I have seen girls at test sessions not dress up, but I think the judges, (who are very traditional in my cases) would prefer to see girls in dresses. If you know someone, see if you could borrow a dress, otherwise, I don't think that you would lose points for not wearing a dress. In my expirience, I remember girls at pre pre getting more dressed up because it's their first test, but as you get older it becomes more casual.

I remember when I took pre-pre moves and free, I failed the moves because my spiral wasn't high enough by an inch or something like that. And in the free I fell skating over to the judge after my landed half lutz. Anyways, Good luck!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I strongly recommend talking to your coach and if possible, the test convener, and asking for clarification. Asking a bunch of people on the internet is not the world's greatest idea, because we all have different experiences. :)

As a general rule of thumb, however, pants and a jacket is fine for MITF style tests, but if you are required to do a program, then you should probably figure out how to get a dress. A lot of more experienced skaters will have plenty of dresses they have either outgrown or no longer need (there are several such getting around our rink!). Eventually, if you want to compete, you will need at least some kind of costume.

Babbette1

On the Ice
If you are an adult you can feel comfortable with leotards and a dance skirt. I once tested in a leotard, skating tights, and a skirt from REI.

However, Karne is correct. Your coach should advise you. That's part of what you're paying him/her for.

gkelly

Record Breaker
There's no longer any requirement to wear a skirt.

The most important thing will be to look neat, and not to wear anything that will be distracting to you or to the judges. I.e., don't wear street clothes that aren't suited to skating, nothing too loose or baggy, nothing too revealing, no controversial sayings on t-shirts; long hair shouldn't be loose so it gets in your eyes.

Skating pants and jacket should be fine for moves tests or for pre-preliminary freestyle.

When you get to freestyle programs with music a skating dress of some sort -- competition dress or practice dress/skirt -- is more common.

leafygreens

Final Flight
For Pre-Preliminary, pretty much anything goes (dress OR leggings.) As you get higher you'll probably want to wear a dress. There's not really any specific rule on a dress, but you'll want to express to the judges a higher level of confidence and performance which usually comes through with a dress. However, I have heard of someone testing Novice MIF in Chloe Noel pants. My coach's opinion is to wear a dress for free skating and a jacket with gloves over the dress for MIF. For Pre-pre you'll be fine though. There's really no rules, it's more about "tradition."

Last edited:

loopy

Final Flight
We are in California, and my suggestion is to talk with your coach now. Some coaches are fine with skate pants, others are not fine with it. Your coach may be able to help find a loaner dress (or a dress they want to sell cheaply from another girl they coach. Testing, even the lowest level is nerve wracking for the skater and the coach and you don't want to show up and be unsettled.

For pre pre, most girls wear plain dresses in solid colors. My kid's test dresses have been navy, black, dark purple, all are off the rack and none have had stones.

Last edited: