Is American Idol Fair? | Golden Skate

Is American Idol Fair?

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Throughout this season it has been brought up ithat some of the contestants were too young or lacked the life experience needed to make the songs believable. Last night after Diana sang "I Believe" Simon said something to the effect that at age 16 she could not possibly be credible in singing the lyrics.

Why did the show choose contestants who they admit are too young to be in the competition?

Why did they choose Tamyra's song if they felt one of the contestants would not be credible in singing it?

I voted for Fantasia but I feel that a diservice was done to Diana by the show.

sk8m8

Final Flight
Two thoughts, Toni

1. No, AI isn't "fair", very in littlle in life is even in competitions.

that being said...

2. I don't think it mattered what Simon says at this point, people are either going to vote with what the judges say (a small minority) or they will vote for who they feel is the best singer (in a country where you can bet most of the inhabitants have a "few" opinions about most everything:laugh: ) Simon negated himself. He had already said (and I think this was on Diana's review tape) that he reversed his opinion and now was certain that she belonged.

Now unless you're a politician, this kind of double speak justdoesn't cut it with folk, therefore Simon "double-spoke" on his judgment and I believe that sent the opinionated folk to their phones to decide for themselves. Remember, Simon's "role" is dissenter. This means that he's supposed to say harsh biting things, it stirs people up and gets them voting.

lavender

Record Breaker
People aren't going to vote for the best because Diane isn't the best singer on that show. However it doesn't matter what Simons says.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
AI isn't just about whose "best", but who you like as well. I thought it was interesting that those who proclaimed loudly it's all about whose "best" that night (during the performing weeks) and that's who people should vote for, came back and said that they would now vote for their favorite no matter how she sang.............:\ 42

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
show 42 said:
AI isn't just about whose "best", but who you like as well. I thought it was interesting that those who proclaimed loudly it's all about whose "best" that night (during the performing weeks) and that's who people should vote for, came back and said that they would now vote for their favorite no matter how she sang.............:\ 42

I don't think that's necessarily an inconsistency once the final night rolls around. Early on, when there's more singers to choose from, yes, the thing to do is vote for the best on a particular night, but as the ranks thin out and there's less people to choose from, the best on a particular night might be someone who still wasn't that great, or someone who up until then had given some pretty mediocre performances.

As an example, let's say that Jasmine got into the final instead of Fantasia. IMO the best Jasmine ever was at any point in the previous 11 weeks was "quite good" vs. Diana who had over those same weeks given some outstanding performances. Let's take this one step further and say that under that scenario, Jasmine was absolutely fantastic on the final night and Diana was just so-so. Based on ONE NIGHT, would Jasmine have deserved to win the whole shebang? I don't think so. I think once the final rolls around, it's then time to look at the whole picture. Especially this season when a few people who were arguably the best or among the best on a particular night ended up going home the next day.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yes I think American Idol is fair

just because Diana and some of the others made doesn't mean SIMON wanted them there... other than John I doubt he voted for any of the teens... it's 2 out of the three that gets them in the top 32... after that it's up to the good ol' USA... it's all up in the air as to how far they are... Simon's never really liked Diana, she's got the "cutesy" look she's too young... etc...

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
No, I don't think it's fair at all, but for a different reason than most - it's not a fair competition because people can vote over and over. If only one vote per phone number was allowed, then it might be more credible. The way it is now, it's a joke.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
other than this year's voting I'd disagree with you on the voting... Ruben and Clay were both credible winners... I still stand by my feelings that Ruben would do better if he didn't have a wannabe hip hop album. And that he wouldn't only sing 6 songs at a "concert" and then leave due to "fatigue"

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Last summer there was a great star search type of program called "Fame". They combed the country for amazing talents that could both sing and dance. There were eliminations each week, and during the voting segment, you were allowed to vote for each contestant only five times. Great concept and the audience "got it right" and selected Harleem Lee as the winner. I have his CD and he's amazing both in the singing and dancing department. And guess what? He's 32 years young!!! 42

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hated that show... such mediocre talent... and they took a lot of AI's stuff and added into their's... cheap knock off...

that and the croch grabbing dance that I saw one night was so totally out there I gave up watching and found something else to amuse me

Last comic standing was sooooooo much better!

Johar

Medalist
Tonichelle said:
Yes I think American Idol is fair

... Simon's never really liked Diana, she's got the "cutesy" look she's too young... etc...

One night Simon was glaring pure hatred towards Diana when he didn't know the camera was on him. If looks could kill she would be 6 feet under. :eek:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
When I asked if AI was fair what I meant was is it fair to open the competetion up to those who are 16 then after they make the cut complain that they are too young??? The same thing with using Tamyra's song. Knowing that it was possible to have a sixteen year old in the final why not choose a song that would be more age appropriate? The way it has been done this season the younger contestants have two strikes against them before they even take the stage. This has nothing to do with favorites, talent, or personalities. IMO you can't say a sixteen year old can be in a competetion and then turn around and say that a sixteen year old is too young for the competetion, or expect them to compete with material that puts them at a disadvantage.

Show I loved Harleem! Any word as to what he is doing now?

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Doesn't he have to produce the CD of the winner or something along those lines? Obviously he'd rather be involved with a true artist like Fantasia than a bubble gum princess like Diana.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Piel, I check every once in while on the internet, but I haven't heard anything lately. His CD is awesome. He does a duet with the runner up, the blonde cheerleader with the big voice, it's beautiful. He was suppose to get a part in a Broadway show.....I wonder if any of our New York posters have heard of him? 42

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Piel:

What's even worse - I heard the voting process for American Idol is not "fair." The votes are cast mostly by "teeny boppers" who base their decisions on outward appearances as opposed to talent.

Last edited: