Anastasiia Gubanova | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Anastasiia Gubanova

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don't think saying she probably deserves a Grand Prix event over Maria is more than a probably and wow Buyanovas girl struggle last year I would say Anastasia became her number one girl and had quality skating last season besides being very beautiful skating. Maria quite frankly showed no interest in figure skating and that should be held against her.

Nastya wasn't as good as she could have been last but far from a disaster. Clearly underscore that Russian Nationals and Russian Cup final. My problem with the Russian Federation is that they set all of her supporters up by making her part of the national team as a reserve when they had no intention of giving her 1 Grand Prix. I thought she would get two because she's the most beautiful skater of all the Russian girls and would be a nice complement to all the technical wizards and jumping jacks they have . This is like a cat chasing its tail we go round and round discussing this issue of Anastasia and the Russian Federation. But it never ends and the diamond in the rough Nastya keeps getting stifled. I don't know if there's a way forward for her because more girls will become seniors next season and 3A will be in their second season and probably ready to dominate.

People have mentioned from time to time that Anastasie should change countries. But that's very hard to do . If she tried something like that now the Russian Federation would probably block her from all competitions in the 2019-2020 season. If she ever considers changing countries and I don't think she is, it should be done after the next season. But it won't happen because her little sister is a figure skater moving up in the system and the parents probably don't want to uproot either girl.

Good luck to Nastya next season. I hope her second year at cska and with this coach will be very good to her.

I don't understand to many decisions RusFed makes, but being in reserve of the national team means funding, at least, so I would not say that they intend to do her some harm. Yes, Nastya is definitely beautiful and skates well, but there are plenty of girls in Russia who can do the same. Some people say "in any other country she would be a star", yes, but again, there are plenty of girls like that in Russia. And no matter what I think about the Rusfed, I wouldn't want to be in their skin when they have to make a decision who to choose. Last year Sima had no GP assignment and people made complains. This year she has one and people are complaining about Nastya. As they say, there is no pleasing some people.

As I've mentioned, Sima is 19, Nastya is 16. The fact that she has no GP assignment in her 16 doesn't mean her career is at the end.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well Sinitsina/Katsalapov were on the reserve team last year and according to Oleg Vasiliev, they had to finance themselves, the federation gave them nothing.

The second place is Sinitsina and Katsalapov - excellent work, first of all, by the guys themselves and their coaching staff. As far as I know, Nikita and Vika were deprived of funding after their last year’s national championship fiasco. That is, they prepared for the season independently, without financial assistance from the federation. Maybe this gave sports anger, which allowed to make a leap forward.

Unless of course they are cherry picking who on the reserve team gets money and who has to finance themselves.....

Scott512

Record Breaker
The situation with Nastya grows more complex and confusing. She is on the Russian national team as a senior as a reserve but yet there's lots of discussion about her skating in juniors this year including the junior open skates coming up soon. Can she skate Junior open skates and Senior Open skates and stay a few Junior events this year and a couple challenges or senior bs as well? She did well at Golden Spin last year the Challenger where she earned a Silver medal coming off the boot problem that caused her to miss senior open skates in September.

I just hope Anastasia get some clarity this year as to what she is a senior or Junior. It must be hard for her to deal with all this after being such a golden prospect 3 years ago. you would think it's just 16 years old she would have time on her side but that's just not the case when you're one of the Russian ladies but that's just not the case would be insane competition among the Russian Ladies seniors and juniors.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She told that annoying YouTube lady that she was staying Junior which I think is wise as she is in desperate need of ranking points. Plus, if she gets a JGP, she gets automatic entry into Jr Nats and a possible chance for JrWorlds. And really you can only go so high in the rankings with no GP events (Sr/Jr), no Euros, no Worlds (Jr/Sr).

If she plans on going to Junior test skates and getting a JGP, I don't know what's the point of her doing Senior test skates. A) It's in the middle of the Junior grand prix, B) she has no senior GP events, C) there is no host spot available at Rostelecom and D) she can do Challengers/Senior Bs without going to test skates. And I'm sure she knows the plan for the season. Gorshkov already said that the decision to stay Junior needed to be made around the beginning of June.

By the way, that YouTube lady still has not put up this interview with Nastia she did almost 3 months ago :sarcasm: I'm so annoyed. LOL

Scott512

Record Breaker
She told that annoying YouTube lady that she was staying Junior which I think is wise as she is in desperate need of ranking points. Plus, if she gets a JGP, she gets automatic entry into Jr Nats and a possible chance for JrWorlds. And really you can only go so high in the rankings with no GP events (Sr/Jr), no Euros, no Worlds (Jr/Sr).

If she plans on going to Junior test skates and getting a JGP, I don't know what's the point of her doing Senior test skates. A) It's in the middle of the Junior grand prix, B) she has no senior GP events, C) there is no host spot available at Rostelecom and D) she can do Challengers/Senior Bs without going to test skates. And I'm sure she knows the plan for the season. Gorshkov already said that the decision to stay Junior needed to be made around the beginning of June.

By the way, that YouTube lady still has not put up this interview with Nastia she did almost 3 months ago :sarcasm: I'm so annoyed. LOL

I hope the interview is worth it three months is a long time to wait. It does not make sense. Anastasia spoke excellent English a year or so ago so I hope she speaks in English in the future.

I don't know what to say about her being a junior again when just a month or so ago they put her on the national team as a reserve for the seniors. If what you say is correct and Nastya can do senior bees and Challengers and addition to being a junior that might be the best way to go at this point. I just hope she's healthy and can skate as beautifully as ever because to me her skating is breathtaking.

A concern of mine if she goes back to being a junior is that juniors are generally scored lower than seniors aren't they? I mean Sasha and Anna who landed quads in competition last year didn't even score that high ar Russian Nationals did they? Maybe in the 220s. The top seniors normally do better than that especially those with triple axles or quads. No matter what happens it's time for Anastasia to start to fulfill her vast potential and put her great skating skills to the best of her ability and then add in the technical content to go along with that and her natural feel for the music.

I hope the interview comes soon. But I wouldn't hold my breath. ;)

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think it's fine to remain in juniors, as long as she gets some senior B's. Maria Sotskova was in juniors for 3 years, and she made it to the Olympics.

Scott512

Record Breaker
I'm new to this thread.I even didn't notice this thread exist lol.It must be hard to nastya to compete with young girls.But I think this is a thing nastya should overcome.Young girls like sinitsyna, kanysheva ,valieva etc they are all eligible for next olympics.They are the youngest at olympic seasons.As her main goal is to go to olympics, she will need to compete with these young girls oneday for three spots.
As she is learning quads, she get healed from injury I guess.The most likely is 4s.She has decent salchow.(0:44)

https://youtu.be/s91OAL-T0pI

It would be similar to Artur's 4S as they are under same coaches.(0:24)

https://youtu.be/vuhLSGgEC3o

If she brings quad she can do 3 triple combinations.She can do 3lutz3lo, 3lutz3toe, 3flip3toe but also 3lutz1lo3s, 3flip1lo3s and 2a3t.
What took you so long to find this thread? Sometimes I feel lonely in here. ;)

Thank you for the videos. What you said makes sense but her 3S has to get better than just decent to be able to do a 4S.

If Nastya really is going back to the Juniors it can work for her if she has the right attitude. But you have to be realistic she was like the number 2 in Russia behind Alina in the fall of 2016. Her performance in the Junior Grand Prix final was superb winning the silver medal behind Alina. What happened to her? She kind of leveled off after that even with her undeniably great skating skills natural feel for the music and great spins. I think three coaching changes has hurt her development and of course never having Eteri as her coach didn't help either. Look what she has done for other girls with lesser skating skills than Nastyas. The right coach can make a huge difference in a girl's career. I hope Buyanova can help Anastasia reach the next level. But it's an uphill climb to be honest because 3A seem so far ahead of Nastya at this point. But it's not in natural ability it's in points and getting high scores. Maybe it's the eteri advantage. I think Nastya should also be on par with Alina since neither do quads or triple axels at this point. They both have natural ability feel for the music and great skating skills that is actually very rare these days. But for some reason Alena is considered way ahead of Anastasia at this point. It has to be the Eteri advantage. Because before Alena went there she was nothing special like she is now.

With her ability do spin shouldn't Anastasia us be able to do a triple axel easier than a quad?

Like I said if she has the right attitude about going to Juniors and doing some challenges or senior B's she should have a very good season. I hope she's not crushed by not getting GP assignments after being named to the national team for seniors. It's just so confusing about what's been going on with Nastya the last 2 years.

If she goes back to juniors competing against younger Russians and Alysa Liu with her multiple triple axels and maybe a quad next season would be interesting. But first things first I hope Anastasia gets a few Junior events a couple challenges and a couple senior Bs and show her best skating next season. Then maybe she could be ready to take on the top seniors next year.

SkateSkates

Medalist
It’s really unfortunate she was not given the chance on the GP for a spot that she earned with her SB. She’s such a beautiful skater that had a few tough competitions at the worst times - Jr Nationals 2017, missing out ok Jr worlds even though she was the 2nd strongest during the fall season. Then she struggled with body changes and bombed her JGP in fall 2017, but skated wonderfully at all her events the rest of the season. Was totally underscored at 2018 Jr Nationals. Then had an injury that took her out of the JGP in 2018 - when she came back she was ok at 1 challenger and 1 cup event, but not so great at her other challenger and cup event. She really needs the ranking points so JGP + challengers is her best bet, with the hope she qualifies for the final again as well. It would be a shame if she never had the opportunity to compete on the GP

Scott512

Record Breaker
I think it's fine to remain in juniors, as long as she gets some senior B's. Maria Sotskova was in juniors for 3 years, and she made it to the Olympics.

Fair point. I hope she does get some challengers and a senior be for two to go along with a few junior tournaments. Normally we think of a sixteen-year-old girl like nastya as being a youngster a kid a baby. But in the figure skating world of the Russian ladies that's not a kid anymore. Fair point about Maria. But Maria did not have the talent ahead of her that is truly great that Anastasia has ahead of her at this point. When Maria was coming up only Evgenia was great. Now there are so many great girls Nastya has to deal with. It's unbelievable. But as I've said many times that's sports and that's life.

Scott512

Record Breaker
It’s really unfortunate she was not given the chance on the GP for a spot that she earned with her SB. She’s such a beautiful skater that had a few tough competitions at the worst times - Jr Nationals 2017, missing out ok Jr worlds even though she was the 2nd strongest during the fall season. Then she struggled with body changes and bombed her JGP in fall 2017, but skated wonderfully at all her events the rest of the season. Was totally underscored at 2018 Jr Nationals. Then had an injury that took her out of the JGP in 2018 - when she came back she was ok at 1 challenger and 1 cup event, but not so great at her other challenger and cup event. She really needs the ranking points so JGP + challengers is her best bet, with the hope she qualifies for the final again as well. It would be a shame if she never had the opportunity to compete on the GP

It would be a crying shame if she never achieved her potential because like you said she's such a beautiful skater. Things have never broken right for Nastya and that is so disappointing to me. Maybe a few challengers and several Junior events can get her season's best scores that she would not get a Grand Prix event. I suppose that's how 3A got their great scores last year in juniors. Now Nastya has to do the same.

As far as the 2022 Olympics go Russia is going to have like 8 to 10 girls in serious competition for the spots.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well if you go by CSKA's website, Anastasia isn't showing up to neither junior nor senior test skates :frown: Dun, dun, dunnnn.

Test rentals of Russian national figure skating teams

SSHOR CSKA them. S.A. Zhuk will present -
(juniors) Anna Tarusina, Victoria Vasilyeva, Artur Danielian
(senior) Sergey Voronov, Alexander Samarin

Let's see how accurate this info is as this webmaster modifies stuff a lot, so I usually take her info with a grain of salt.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Well if you go by CSKA's website, Anastasia isn't showing up to neither junior nor senior test skates :frown: Dun, dun, dunnnn.

Let's see how accurate this info is as this webmaster modifies stuff a lot, so I usually take her info with a grain of salt.

I want to say that would be unbelievable if she didn't go to either junior or senior test skates I think he should go to both. But I wouldn't be surprised if she went to neither because Nastya has gotten the shaft her whole career.

halulupu

Final Flight
I want to say that would be unbelievable if she didn't go to either junior or senior test skates I think he should go to both. But I wouldn't be surprised if she went to neither because Nastya has gotten the shaft her whole career.
OMG so all this puberty issues rumors might be true? She is such a lovely skater

Scott512

Record Breaker
OMG so all this puberty issues rumors might be true? She is such a lovely skater
I'm not sure what's going on but I don't think it's puberty issues because she's not that big or that womanly. I would say she has more of a figure than most of the Russian girls. But I don't think puberty has done that much damage to Nastya where it would hurt her ability to jump and spin. She's probably 5 ft 2 inches or 5 ft 3 in tall and weighs about 95 to 105 lbs. Kaetlyn Osmond was 5 ft 4 in tall and weighed more than 120 lb and look at the way she could jump and move.Nastya just needs a good season to reboot her career and re-establish herself as factor for the future. But yeah it cuts deep but Nastya will be doing Juniors this year instead of getting a Grand Prix or two after she was named as a reserve on the seniors national team.

On a side note I hope her coaching situation has stabilized and she believes in her coach and staff.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
It's hard to believe she's still 'only' 16. She's been around seemingly forever and was such a mature and beautiful skater even at 13. It's a shame she had that disaster at her JGP in 2017, she's never recovered her standing with the Fed ever since. I'm not sure what quad she should work on though. 4toe? I wish she could clean up her technique on her jumps. I just don't see a quad being a possibility. Hopefully she'll skate well at whatever assignments she gets this year. Her movement is so ethereal. She needs to be seen in international competition!

Scott512

Record Breaker
It's hard to believe she's still 'only' 16. She's been around seemingly forever and was such a mature and beautiful skater even at 13. It's a shame she had that disaster at her JGP in 2017, she's never recovered her standing with the Fed ever since. I'm not sure what quad she should work on though. 4toe? I wish she could clean up her technique on her jumps. I just don't see a quad being a possibility. Hopefully she'll skate well at whatever assignments she gets this year. Her movement is so ethereal. She needs to be seen in international competition!
Yes Liam Nastya was a beautiful and mature skater at 13 and she still is at 16. And any other country she will be right on target for developing and becoming a star. But with the Russian girls 16 is not young anymore when you're talkin about 3A and all the girls eteri has coming after them.

Anastasia is favorite jump is Lutz so 4L is possible. Her spins are so great and fast I think she should be able to pull off a triple axel instead of or in addition to 4L.

Regaining confidence in the Russian Federation will be hard because I don't think they ever believed in hereven even though her natural talent and great skating skills are obvious. If they did they wouldn't have stiffed her from 2016 to 2018 when the Federation put Stanislava in ahead of Nastya for junior worlds and then the following season senior worlds when everyone knew Nastya was the superior skater and talent. I adore Stasya too and I have a big soft spot for her. But that made no sense on either occasion. Nastya skating great in the 2016 Junior Grand Prix final and won the silver medal. Stasya never got to that level of skating as a junior. Anastasias performance in the Grand Prix final that year should have earned her a lot of respect and admiration from the Russian Federation that should have lasted a long time. But it didn't and it's sad.

No question nastya needs to tighten up her jumps and make them more efficient. But let's be honest everything else is there especially when it concerns skating skills musicality and beauty. She has rare naturalskating skills and an innate feel for the music in today's ladies figure skating. I still hope she can put it all together. We have to remember she's only 16. But with the Russian girls 16 is not young anymore as crazy as that sounds.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's a shame she had that disaster at her JGP in 2017, she's never recovered her standing with the Fed ever since.

It seems so.

I'm not sure what quad she should work on though. 4toe? I wish she could clean up her technique on her jumps. I just don't see a quad being a possibility.

I don't see a quad or a 3A being possible. I think the 3lz/3lo will be all we get. But we will see.