2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2015 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic SLC General

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Is this an event that the public can buy tickets to go see?

Yes. (99% sure that AH Black has posted information about tickets in the comp's GS threads of years past.)

ETA:

Last year, the Team USA entries for the Classic were announced on Aug 13, 2014, BTW.

2014 ticket information at the link above:
Tickets, starting at $10/day, will be available at the door.

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Is this an event that the public can buy tickets to go see?

Yes. (99% sure that AH Black has posted information about tickets in the comp's GS threads of years past.)

ETA:

Last year, the Team USA entries for the Classic were announced on Aug 13, 2014, BTW.

2014 ticket information at the link above:
Tickets, starting at $10/day, will be available at the door.

Yes it is a very open competition. Tickets are at the door. Two rinks together - you can actually stand at the top of one rink and look into the other. It is bleachers which get very hard over the days. You can go outside and walk around to get warm. Parking is easy. It's not crowded. These are the kinds of events that are very easy and relaxed. You can talk to the skaters if you (and they) want. Come.

I'm hoping we see a list of competitors tomorrow, the 17th. If not then, at least this week.

Last edited:

gammarae

Rinkside
My skating pal and I have been twice, and each time it was a wonderful, relaxed and pleasant event. $ 10.00 event tickets -- grab it and go! Yes, the bleachers are hard (no back support except at the top -- bring a bleacher seat if you need one.) In the past it has been unassigned seating so you never know who will be sitting next to you.

Salt Lake City has good places to eat and some fun things to do -- the nearby Botanic Garden and Natural History Museum are especially nice.

Warning: you will be at the U of Utah campus -- if there is a home football game, be prepared for extra traffic on Saturday -- but the tailgaters are usually nice and there is separate parking for the ice event. The "pure spectator crowd" (not coaches or family) is small, but dedicated! Families are there too, which is great fun.

We watched some great practices and performances from people who are now quite well known (Duhamel/Radford, Max Aaron, Gracie Gold, among others). You never know what future "star" will be there and you can say, "oh, yes, we saw [insert skater name here] at Salt Lake a few years ago. Knew [he/she/they] had good potential."

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Warning: you will be at the U of Utah campus -- if there is a home football game, be prepared for extra traffic on Saturday -- but the tailgaters are usually nice and there is separate parking for the ice event. The "pure spectator crowd" (not coaches or family) is small, but dedicated! Families are there too, which is great fun.

No football game this year. My best experience was seeing Davis and White premier their Olympic programs live. The first time they did that lift in the Free - we did a triple take, sat up straight, and paid attention.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51325&type=media

US Skaters announced.

Ladies: Karen Chen, Angela Wang
Men: Timothy Dolensky, Richard Dornbush, Ross Miner
Pairs: Marissa Castelli & Mervin Tran, Gretchen Donlan & Nathan Bartholomay, Tarah Kayne & Daniel O’Shea
Ice dance: Madison Hubbell & Zachary Donohue, Danielle Thomas & Daniel Eaton

Seems a bit of a shuffle from years past.

My guess is Skate America TBA is going to either Tim or Ross, whoever does better here.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=51325&type=media

US Skaters announced. ...

Seems a bit of a shuffle from years past. ...

Thx, Stitch. Quite a shuffle, as you say. :think:

ETA: Among the questions bouncing around in my head is why USFS is not sending as many men and ladies as in previous years?? Travel costs and hassle would be relatively low, and skaters would have a chance for international experience, Challenger ranking points, and World Standings points.​

FYI for those who care about Challenge Skate too (as opposed to the International Classic):
Today's announcement says only:
In conjunction with the International Figure Skating Classic, U.S. Figure Skating will host the ladies and men's events of the U.S. Novice & Junior Challenge Skate, an invitational for nearly 100 American skaters who have competed at a sectional or U.S. championship at the intermediate, novice and junior levels.
Noticeably absent is any mention of IN coverage (even video on demand) of Challenge Skate.​

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Thanks for the updates. I note there is nothing on the web page for the event.

Interested to see Tim Dolensky's program in person, glad to see Kayne/O'Shea again, will be interesting to see Daniel Eaton with his new partner. No Max Aaron?

Here's hoping this means we get a full list of competitors by the end of the week.

Last edited:

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
wow, after Satoko and Elizabet, another one of my favourites Karen is gonna be there, who am i gonna root for? :drama: may the best skater on the day win! :biggrin:
and Richard!! :love:

samson

Medalist
Nice line up! I'm especially pleased to see the three pairs teams. I think all three have major potential and this is a great event for them to be at. Send Alexa and Chris to Nebelhorn or Finlandia where the competition will likely be much stiffer and they can begin their campaign to crack the top 5.

With the announcement that Karen and Angela are the two ladies it makes me think it could mean one of two things. 1. The Skating Lesson is right and Mirai is going to get the TBA at Skate America so this way Karen and Angela also have a chance to skate on home ice at an international event or 2. USFSA is going to decide between Karen and Angela and the results here will affect who they choose for SKAM.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Only 2 US Ladies? Don't they usually send 3 or 4 to this competition?

Four US ladies in 2014 and 2013. Two US ladies in 2012.

Four US men in 2014, 2013, and 2012.

Three US pairs in 2014 and 2012. Four US pairs in 2013 (Olympic season).

Two US dance in couples in 2014 (third couple was supposed to be Chock/Bates, who were a late withdrawal).
Four US dance couples in 2013 (Olympic season).
Three US dance couples in 2012.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?sid=49282
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?sid=50289
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Shell.asp?sid=51214

Layback11

Record Breaker
Yay for Karen and K/O! :cheer: add that to Satoko participating, and I definitely want to watch this! :popcorn:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
With the announcement that Karen and Angela are the two ladies it makes me think it could mean one of two things. 1. The Skating Lesson is right and Mirai is going to get the TBA at Skate America so this way Karen and Angela also have a chance to skate on home ice at an international event or 2. USFSA is going to decide between Karen and Angela and the results here will affect who they choose for SKAM.

According to Golden's post on the Grand Prix announcement thread, the USFSA plans to announce the third spot for Skate America by Sept. 15, which is before the Classic. With Karen, Ross, (and Grant?) all high on the substitution list, obviously that could have an impact. (I'd think there would be pretty decent odds one of the U.S. guys gets Ronald Lam's spot at Skate Canada).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Team Australia, thanks to the link in the PDF sammyf posted on FSU:

Men:
Brendan Kerry
Andrew Dodds
Jordan Dodds

Ladies:
Brookee Han

Pairs:
Paris Stephens/Matthew Dodds

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I am still so confused why the Americans didn't fill up their roster with skaters who need more international points....

Cdimop

Rinkside
i can't find the scores anywhere and I think they should be posted by now. Has anybody had any success?