Can i jump counterclockwise but spin clockwise ? | Golden Skate

Can i jump counterclockwise but spin clockwise ?

MarParisienne

Spectator
Hi everyone, everything is on the title :)

Im a ""beginner"" skater and i am right-handed so its easy for me to spin to the right...and do cross to the right too (i can do crossovers counter clockwise but its hard). And its easier for me to jump counterclockwise because i prefer land on the right foot (i feel unbalanced on the left foot outside edge).
I know that i should skate to the left, but im right-handed ! Why i have to spin to the left ?
So my question is : can i skate like that ? I know that Ashley Wagner for example skate clockwise, but is it allowed to jump counterclockwise BUT spin clockwise ? Its hard for me to do spins to the left.

Please please help !!!!!!!!!!

And sorry for my english mistakes i am french
Thanks to everyone !

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I can't imagine there are any official rules against it. Satoko Miyahara did a spin where she changed directions at worlds this year. Also Rohene Ward i believe included jumps in both directions in some of his programs (but maybe only exhibitions). So I don't think there is any one direction only rule in place.

I think the issue you may have may be more with it being unfamiliar to people. It may not be a rules, but some people may not like it.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Ashley Wagner does all her jumps and spins clockwise.

Most skaters prefer to do everything counterclockwise; a minority (10-20%?) prefer to do everything clockwise; a smaller minority can do some spins or jumps pretty well in their "bad" direction.

If they're really ambidextrous (ambirotational?), they might be able to do some fairly difficult ones in their bad direction. Being able to jump both directions or spin both directions is extra difficult and therefore can or should get extra credit. But they do have a preference and do practice most of their spins and jumps in the same direction.

There's no extra credit for spinning the opposite direction that you jump. Always practicing only that way will just make it harder for you to learn harder jumps.

If you want to learn any jumps harder than single salchow and toe loop, you should learn to spin in the same direction that you jump.

You could also learn to spin in the opposite direction as well, and be able to spin both directions. You could even try learning jumps in both directions.

But by the time you're ready to learn loop and flip jumps, and definitely by the time you're ready to try axels (if ever -- a lot of skaters never make it that far), you'll be able to develop much better jump technique if you can already do a back spin in the same direction that you jump.

If your preference now is based on which foot you feel stronger on, that may change as you improve your basic skating skills.

So always keep working on all your edges on both feet, both directions.

And try learning beginning jumps and spins both directions until you decide which way you're more comfortable rotating.

By the time you're ready to learn back spins and loop jumps, you'll need to choose a direction and focus on that direction as your primary rotational direction, maybe with an occasional easier spin (or jump) in the opposite direction for variety.

CdnSk8Fan

Rinkside
From what I understand, being a 'lefty' vs 'righty' is not determinate of your natural turning left or right, it is the dominate eye. I know of lefty's who skate counter-clockwise, and righty's who skate clockwise.

Coaches when starting with young skaters have them stand with their back to the coach. Coach calls their name and the skater turns around to them in naturally (either to left or right) and that is how many determine if counter-clockwise or clockwise skater.

Spinning does have an impact on jumps as when you learn a backspin that really is what you are doing in the air on jumps.
ie. Axel walk through consists of waltz jump + backspin.

Babbette1

On the Ice
Coaches like to put a skater into clockwise or counter clockwise for spins and jumps. If you're not planning to be an international competitive skater, there's no real reason for this. Recreational skaters can don't have to take the effort to do this. In fact since recreational skaters don't have as much time on the ice, settling spins and turns to one direction can be a huge waste of effort and coaching fees.

MarParisienne

Spectator
Thanks everyone,so i will stay with my counterclockwise jumps and try to correct my spin to be able to spin to to left ! You're right, we have to go to the left on counterclockwise jumps so i have to spin to the left.
Don't worry gkelly, im on one foot spin and loops yet ;D (i dont want to rush on jumps and spins too quickly, i have to be better edges and footwork first), thats why i want to learn everything correctly before its too late ! And when i said Ashley skates to the left, i said skates not jumps ! This means jumps and spins etc... :D
Ok i will work on edges, this will help to be more comfortable.

I think to buy a spinner to practice off ice too. Any other tips to be able to spin to the left ?
If you see this and you have some tips or idea answer me please !!!
Thanks !

Last edited:

Myblade

Rinkside
"And its easier for me to jump clockwise because i prefer land on the right foot (i feel unbalanced on the left foot outside edge)."
To my knowledge, if you jump clockwise, you land on your left foot, and since you feel unbalanced on your left foot, the obvious choice would be to jump counterclockwise. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is just what I think.

MarParisienne

Spectator
You're right, i was mean counterclockwise* ^^' ! I feel really unbalanced when i land on my left foot. I will correct my spins and my crossovers, but its "impossible" for the jumps ! Ok spinning to the left direction will be hard, but the jumps...i will fall directy :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Well then, you've got your answer. You want to jump counter-clockwise, so everything else will have to go counter-clockwise too.

vlaurend

Final Flight
Yes, unfortunately for me... :')

I don't think you should look at it as unfortunate. My left leg and hip are weaker than my right, but because I've had to learn all my forward spins on my left foot (as a CCW skater), I'm sure my left side is now much stronger and more stable than it would have been otherwise! Also, within the next few years you will need to be able to do crossovers and 3-turns in both directions, so I would not base your jumping or spinning direction on which crossover direction is better.

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think John Curry used to spin and jump in opposite directions--or at least was able to do so.