Supersize Me | Golden Skate

Supersize Me

Antilles

Medalist
I saw this documentary this afternoon. It was decent. I couldn't get over the changes to this guy's body in such a short period of time. I really liked when they showed what school cafeterias serve to children.

One odd thing I noticed at the theatre. A lot of people were watching this film with big tubs of popcorn and coke. ;)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Antilles:

I heard this one was fairly good. The guy's experience was quite something as well. Makes one think.

Althoug:

One odd thing I noticed at the theatre. A lot of people were watching this film with big tubs of popcorn and coke.
It's true "you are what you eat." I expect people will continue to consume huge amounts of junk food in spite of this graphic tale. It's just like smoking - the warnings and experiences of others do not discourage the amount of smokers in the world.

Thanks for the review! Might rent that one too.
:)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
I haven't seen the movie, but let me respond to lunches served at school. Kids are notorious picky eaters. When healthier lunches were all the rage, kids would dump whole trays of food into the garbage can rather than eat it.

Now at my school district, the children are given choices. They must choose at least three items. A main dish, a fruit or veggie, and a bread product. Milk or juice is always included. Some kids still dump their trays.

Parent lunches don't seem to help much, as kids will eat the treats first, and if they're still hungry, might nibble on their sandwhich or piece of fruit. We have a long afternoon, so I let my kids eat anything in their lunch pails at last recess. You'd be surprised how fast hungry kids will eat left over apples and carrot sticks..........42

Glacierskater

On the Ice
My mom was always health wise with our lunches. We usually got sandwiches, veggies, and fruit. I was envious of the kids that "got" to eat school lunches.

And what a great idea about letting the kids eat at last recess. I remember getting home from school and being ravenous...it is hard to concentrate when you are hungry!

guinevere

Final Flight
I got to see this film as part of a documentary film festival, and Morgan Sperlock (the director) was there. The festival was in the Art Museum, so there weren't any snax available, but Morgan warned the audience that, after watching the film, we probably wouldn't want to eat junks food for a while. A long while! True enough, after the film, my firends and I were like "Wow, I feel like eating a whole plate of steamed kale".....of course, that's not an unheard of menu item for any of us :laugh:

The film is totally compelling. I thought the school lunch segment was the strongest part of it, and in fact that is the biggest issue to champion that Sperlock came away with after his filming. Some of the film came off as just plain old anti-large-people, which was disturbing. There was one guy interviewed who went on and on about why isn't it as acceptable to ask someone why they're so fat, as it is now acceptable to berate smokers in public. (Um.....last I checked, many many people have NO PROBLEM telling large people what they think about their statures :rolleye:, and second hand smoke means that a smoker is injuring others besides themselves, whereas someone who overeats is not really harming anyone else directly. Oh yeah, there's also the issue that people don't have to smoke to live, whereas people DO have to eat to live) Sorry, that guy really bothered me.

A warning to anyone with a sensitive constitution, though - there are some pretty graphic things in the film, that are super gross. I won't ruin the surprise for anyone who wants to go :D, but I strongly suggest NOT eating anything during the film!!

guinevere

Longhornliz

Final Flight
If you guys liked this movie you should read Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser. Its really good.