Entries for 2015 JGP - Colorado Springs | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Entries for 2015 JGP - Colorado Springs

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Sofia POLISHCHUK / Alexander VAKHNOV RUS along with another Russian couple were arrested in Lake Placid for shoplifting. They were participating in the Junior International event there, but were disqualified from participating in the free skate because of the arrest. I expect they will be replaced at the Colorado Springs event....
I am surprised by this - can skaters be disqualified from a competition because they were "arrested"?
I mean, an "arrest" does not mean an actual conviction or proof of guilt, does it? ("innocent until proven guilty"?)

Is there indisputable proof of guilt, or a confession?
Or is it because their arrest resulted in detainment/deportation that prevented them attending the competition?

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
How unresponsible, if it's true :disapp: SOME kids these days...

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shops in tourist areas such as Lake Placid are equipped with lots of mirrors and security cameras and shoplifting incidents are easily captured on those cameras. That evidence, plus the goods found in possession of the party without receipt for payment, is more than sufficient to ensure conviction, which in the case of a foreign visitor on a limited visa can serve to invalidate the visa. That is what happened to Andrei Lutai some years back when he "borrowed" a car to go sight-seeing in Lake Placid. He was caught driving the car, was arrested and had to face charges in court. Because he was a foreign national who had committed a crime, his visa was cancelled, and he had to return to Russia. His skating career pretty much ended at that point.

Of course, vehicle theft is a far worse offense than shoplifting, but there are still legal ramifications.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Yikes...:eek: Is skating joining football as a sport notorious for criminals? I hope not! Also, does anyone know if Vivian Le has two JGP assignments or just the US one? If she's got two spots, I think she might be in serious contention for the final, if her two previous competitions this season are any indication. Or are they not released yet? I really don't pay attention :laugh2:

EDIT: Vivian has Riga Cup as well. Phew! Worried for a minute there :drama:

Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Yikes...:eek: Is skating joining football as a sport notorious for criminals? I hope not!

You're kidding, right? A couple teenagers stealing candy is not exactly on par with major felonies. Andrei's incident was more unfortunate, but again, hardly an Aaron Hernandez in the making. No sport is 100% squeaky clean (it would be impossible), but there really haven't been that many incidents with skaters over the years, all things considered. Mostly DUIs, as far as I know.

Layback11

Record Breaker
You're kidding, right? A couple teenagers stealing candy is not exactly on par with major felonies. Andrei's incident was more unfortunate, but again, hardly an Aaron Hernandez in the making. No sport is 100% squeaky clean (it would be impossible), but there really haven't been that many incidents with skaters over the years, all things considered. Mostly DUIs, as far as I know.

Yeah, kidding...I don't feel like this would be an appropriate time to reply with LOL, but yes, it was a joke. (On another tangent: if I'm not mistaken, there have also been some incidents involving taxes and resulting in arrest...not sure.)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Strictly speaking, has anyone said what they shoplifted? It need not have been something as low-priced as souvenir trinkets or candy.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Hey, let's not generalize here. It's not like every kid in this era is doing it. It's wrong to generalize.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, some people think "teenage rebellion" is something you must do or you are a failure. It's a sad fact that some of them got the wrong idea and do things that make adults think all teenagers are like that. They're not. Look at all the other juniors who would never shoplift!

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Hey, let's not generalize here. It's not like every kid in this era is doing it. It's wrong to generalize.

Tell me about it. There's a lot of 'generalizing' on this forum about certain nation and its skaters. And let's just stop here.

Look at all the other juniors who would never shoplift!

Or never get caught. Who knows? :laugh:
Okay, I'm kidding. Of course I didn't mean all kids always shoplift. No need to take my words literally.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Also, does anyone know if Vivian Le has two JGP assignments or just the US one? If she's got two spots, I think she might be in serious contention for the final, if her two previous competitions this season are any indication. Or are they not released yet? I really don't pay attention :laugh2:

EDIT: Vivian has Riga Cup as well. Phew! Worried for a minute there :drama:

Vivian's two JGP assignments are Slovakia :) and Colorado Springs.

(Not Riga, Latvia.)

Layback11

Record Breaker
Vivian's two JGP assignments are Slovakia :) and Colorado Springs.

(Not Riga, Latvia.)

Oops...LOL, I really don't pay attention.

Also, Jacob Simon (American pairs skater with Lindsay Weinstein) did vlogs for IN last year at their two JGPs. I really enjoyed watching them and wondered if anyone knows if they'll do them again?

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Updated the lists with the KOR entries and a few other changes - Argentina has an entry now in Ladies and Biechler/Dodge (USA) have been replaced by Gropman/Somerville in Dance.

It'll be interesting for WISA - They have 3 teams at the competition now, since the GBR team (Sletten/Verburg) still trains there.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sofia POLISHCHUK / Alexander VAKHNOV RUS, the shoplifting ice dancers, are out and have not been replaced as of 8/11.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, they took them off then they put them back. Maybe they got the shop to drop the shoplifting charges.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
No, I DID look---on 8/11 they were definitely off, and they were still off on 8/12. They were back on 8/14.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Just looked at the ladies' roster, because I am die-hard pulling for Vivian to win so she can possibly make the final. She should have no problem with anyone but Marin Honda, and I can't really tell how she's done in the past in comparison to Vivian because her personal bests aren't up. It's very possible that she could win unless Marin pulls a Polina Tsurskaya and sets a new IJS record with every jump she does.

hanca

Record Breaker
Just looked at the ladies' roster, because I am die-hard pulling for Vivian to win so she can possibly make the final. She should have no problem with anyone but Marin Honda, and I can't really tell how she's done in the past in comparison to Vivian because her personal bests aren't up. It's very possible that she could win unless Marin pulls a Polina Tsurskaya and sets a new IJS record with every jump she does.

Wasn't she fifth in her first event? In such case I don't think she has a chance to get to JGPF.
ETA: actually, she was third. Of course she has a chance. I confused her with Amber Glenn.

Last edited: