Entries for 2015 JGP - Colorado Springs | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Entries for 2015 JGP - Colorado Springs

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Updated the rosters because there's been more withdrawals. Russia pulled their second man and didn't replace him. Too close to the event? (Though I'm not sure when he disappeared). Pairs is down to 8 entries - 3 USA, 3 RUS, one CAN, and one KOR, since a second CAN team is no longer there. It's kind of sad how few entries there are in Pairs.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Just looked at the ladies' roster, because I am die-hard pulling for Vivian to win so she can possibly make the final. She should have no problem with anyone but Marin Honda, and I can't really tell how she's done in the past in comparison to Vivian because her personal bests aren't up. It's very possible that she could win unless Marin pulls a Polina Tsurskaya and sets a new IJS record with every jump she does.

Honda is good - extremely artistic and expressive for her age, but she's not a huge jumper. Different type of skater than Vivian. Marin Honda has been so hyped by the Japanese media, as has Yuna Aoki - will have to see how she stands up to the new pressure. I really like Marin's skating, but I'm not convinced she'll contend for gold.

There is of course speculation that Russia will sub out Mikhailova this week after her placement at Bratislava. If so, it could be for someone like Sakhanovich.

FanOfTeamKorea

On the Ice
TEAM Korea Entries

Junior Ladies

Na Hyun KIM - 10th At World Junior Champs 2014
Ha Nul KIM - Debut

Junior Men

Si Hyeong LEE - Debut

Junior Ice Dance

Ho Jung LEE / Richard Kang In KAM - 4th At JGP Slovakia 2015

Junior Pairs

Ye Ri KIM / Alex Kang Chan KAM - Debut

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Last time I looked at Marin Honda (Asian Trophy?), she is struggling with her jumps. She is lovely for sure, but it does not look like she is a natural jumper. The height of her jumps cannot get her anywhere far. So unless miracles happen, she won't be a future competitor at all. Vivian has a good chance, though her jumps are not that stable either. I think she should trade the height of her jumps for stability.

Layback11

Record Breaker
Last time I looked at Marin Honda (Asian Trophy?), she is struggling with her jumps. She is lovely for sure, but it does not look like she is a natural jumper. The height of her jumps cannot get her anywhere far. So unless miracles happen, she won't be a future competitor at all. Vivian has a good chance, though her jumps are not that stable either. I think she should trade the height of her jumps for stability.

That may be true. But that's what Gracie did, and nobody seemed too happy about that. Also, Vivian has gotten WAY better on her consistency, and her jumps are usually beautiful.

And for some strange reason, I almost just spelled it Gracey, LOL :laugh2:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Last time I looked at Marin Honda (Asian Trophy?), she is struggling with her jumps. She is lovely for sure, but it does not look like she is a natural jumper.
Or, that's the kind of trouble a 13 year old skater has with their jumps when they've just been through a growth spurt?

I don't think it's fair or accurate, to write kids off so soon...

Last edited:

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I think this competition is Vivian's to lose as long as Russia doesn't send Serafima which is very unlikely after this point.
The other US ladies and Japanese ladies will compete for silver and bronze. I haven't seen Mitrofanova skate before though.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Statistically, if a lady skater does not get all of her jumps before she goes through growth spurt, it is very likely she is never going to get them. I don't remember seeing Marin doing reliable 3-3 and the height of her current jumps are really low. Hope she is among those very few who develop their jumps later.

Or, that's the kind of trouble a 13 year old skater has with their jumps when they've just been through a growth spurt?

I don't think it's fair or accurate, to write kids off so soon...

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
In case it hasn't been noticed yet, the Entries/Results page is up:

http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1516/jgpusa2015/

Josh B from CBBC documentary "Ice Stars" (see this thread) had been down as the 1st choice substitute for GBR in the Men's provisional entry list, but it looks like he will not be required.

Oh well!

I'm thinking of maybe giving this Junior GP a miss, as I still have a day and a half of the Riga Cup to watch (including the Free Skates from both categories that are being held today), and will hardly get it finished before today's Men's SP.

Plus, the times are more awkward for me!

CaroLiza_fan

frida80

Record Breaker
Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought it was a lutz and I thought it looked on the correct edge:confused2:

Last year wasn't a Lutz the required solo jump. This year it's a 3f that's required. She did a three turn into the 3-3 which leads me to believe her layout was:

3z
3f-3t
2a

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
Last year wasn't a Lutz the required solo jump.

Was she a junior last year? She turned 13 this past May. Last season did she compete in a lower group?

Didn't realize 'til I looked at the starting order that Amy Lin is competing here. I'm so glad to get the chance to see her.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was she a junior last year? She turned 13 this past May. Last season did she compete in a lower group?

I think the video posted above is from one of those Russian Cup events. As such you can have skaters who are novice skating in the Junior Division. Just last week at St Petersburg Cup we had Sakhanovich skating against Gubanova who is not JGP age eligible http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ns-2015-2016&p=1211493&viewfull=1#post1211493

I would assume that whatever rules including the required jumps would match up to the JGP for these events. I'm just guessing here though and would admit that I'm not 100% certain.

Regardless...I still think the jump in question is a lutz. Do you agree?

Last edited:

humbaba

Final Flight
I think the video posted above is from one of those Russian Cup events. As such you can have skaters who are novice skating in the Junior Division. Just last week at St Petersburg Cup we had Sakhanovich skating against Gubanova who is not JGP age eligible http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...ns-2015-2016&p=1211493&viewfull=1#post1211493

I would assume that whatever rules including the required jumps would match up to the JGP for these events. I'm just guessing here though and would admit that I'm not 100% certain.

It looks like a lutz to me. When I watched it on slow speed it looked like her edge wobbled back and forth, but was on the outside at take off.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It looks like a lutz to me. When I watched it on slow speed it looked like her edge wobbled back and forth, but was on the outside at take off.

She sort of snaked into it on an almost "s" like pattern. I actually liked that entrance myself. Rika Hongo does it on her flips but she does the 3turn first and then goes into the snake turn. She actually has an extra "s" on hers which is probably to get on the inside edge instead.

Here is Rika's: (look at the ice tracings)
https://youtu.be/gPYNkWDWqXY?t=2m40s

The first thing I look at when determining the intention of a jump is the entrance and then the edge at takeoff.

Last edited:

FSGMT

Record Breaker

That was clearly a well-executed Lutz, no doubt! :thumbsup: Except for the almost-painful slowness and for the boring endless step sequence, a very promising young girl! If she hasn't lost her jumps (and her nerves) she should have good chances this week

frida80

Record Breaker
I thought it was a lutz and I thought it looked on the correct edge:confused2:

Last year wasn't a Lutz the required solo jump. This year it's a 3f that's required. She did a three turn into the 3-3 which leads me to believe her layout was:

3z
3f-3t
2a

That's a 3t-3t.

Maybe it was an S entrance on the 3z. She clearly was on the inside edge in a loop position and went on her outside edge before take off. It's just hard to tell from this position.