True confessions of a skating kind | Page 7 | Golden Skate

True confessions of a skating kind

Yazmeen

On the Ice
1. I simply adore Michelle Kwan and would love to see her finally win the Olympics; however, I'd like even more to see her go to an Olympics NOT the favorite and actually have some fun and ENJOY herself. Maybe that might be the key to reducing the pressure and "letting go" and skating full out from the heart, damn the consequences.

2. I frankly could never stand Tara Lipinski and was majorly PO'd when she won Olympics, although I agree that she deserved the win. I will admit to nastily enjoying the fact that it was Michelle who became the "next Dorothy Hamill" in terms of popularity over Tara, and I REALLY enjoyed the fact that this bugged Tara's overbearing skatemom to no end. I'm also sad that Tara paid for that OGM with her health and her hip and wonder if she'll think it was worth it when she's 40. :(

3. I get a major kick out of Sarah Hughes simply kissing skating goodbye and moving on to the next part of her life. She's the first OGM/major skater I've seen who simply appears to not really care about being a big star but want to follow her own path.

4. The appeal of Oksana Baiul escapes me completely. To me, she was always just a histrionic mess, and I always felt sorry for the skater (in her pro days) who had to follow her when she would do that nauseating "clutch the stomach, kneel on the ice, milk the audience for more applause" routine. That said, I'm glad she's happy these days and getting her life back together.

5. Skating uberfans really make me want to scream sometimes. Its one thing to be a major fan, its another to be continually rude about the skater's competitors, do anything and everything to get near the skater and the worst, do anything to bring massive amounts of attention to yourselves at events in the name of "support." The skater is the star here, remember??? :rolleye:

6. I never used to like ice dance, until I started skating. Now I love watching it to learn from the edges, the turns, the intricacy.

7. Similarly, I liked Dorothy Hamill, but only became a major fan after starting to skate. Now the purity of her edges, her line, her efffortlessness moves me to tears. Pure beauty. :love:

8. I've always loved clean but expressive skating over tons of arm movements and extreme dramatics, which I guess is why I preferred S and P, S and Z, Nancy Kerrigan and others over fussier skaters. I guess I prefer the North American style!!!

9. Add me to the list of people who wish Scott Hamilton would go away already. Scott is a legend, but his ego is legendary, too, and frequently annoying.

10. I still amazed that we can forgive pro basketball and football players who commit sexual and domestic assault, overlook blatant steroid use in baseball, put up with incredible egos from other players in the big four sports, but Nancy Kerrigan still gets pilloried for a few less than choice words after the 94 Olympics. GOOD GRIEF!!!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
10. I still amazed that we can forgive pro basketball and football players who commit sexual and domestic assault, overlook blatant steroid use in baseball, put up with incredible egos from other players in the big four sports, but Nancy Kerrigan still gets pilloried for a few less than choice words after the 94 Olympics. GOOD GRIEF!!!
I never understand why so many people feel this way. The sports have completely different demographics. Like the people who continuously "forgive" Daryl Strawberry and Mike Tyson, but can't ever forgive Debi Thomas for not hugging Kat on the podium are the same people! I seriously doubt that they are. Face it, people who cut some slack for off-field mistakes and people who freak out over every little percieved dirty look are into different sports.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Yasmeen,

6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0 6.0

For that post!

Kateri

On the Ice
*small voice* I haven't seen Bolero either.

And I haven't seen either of the gold-medal pairs performances from SLS 2002.
And I'm not sure I want to, because then I'd have to Decide, and lose my current neutral status on the whole argument!
Besides, I'm such a fan of B&S, I don't think I would be objective.

My shameful skating confessions relate to occasions on which I have rejoiced in the mistakes of skaters threatening my favourites. I'm not proud of it, and I always feel guilty, as if my negative vibes have made people fall down, and then they look so sad!
I hope I did learn from it. These days I always like everyone to skate clean.

k.

lulu

Final Flight
I'm pretty much nuetral on the ladies. But I did enjoy Lipinski's joy & enthusiasm on the ice(in small doses ;) ) I do feel bad for her with her hip problem-and I believe that if she had the opprotunity to keep on skating-she would have improved so much.

I really don't get the fuss over if a pair/dance team are married or romantically invovled. If they are-great, if they aren't-great. But it doesn't effect at all if I like a team or not.
I guess I'm not that sentimental of a person. ;)

Totally agree with the Nancy Kerrigan thing. I was never a fan of hers, but I don't understand why her "Disney Comments" still provoke so much outrage. (Putting my feminist hat on) I'm just guessing if she was not a female and touted as "America's Princess" no one would have cared what she said.

I think that too much skating specials just feature IMG skaters. However, since IMG does seem to have a monopoly on skating tv shows-I hope they pick up Abt so I can see him on TV.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
berthes ghost said:
I never understand why so many people feel this way. The sports have completely different demographics. Like the people who continuously "forgive" Daryl Strawberry and Mike Tyson, but can't ever forgive Debi Thomas for not hugging Kat on the podium are the same people! I seriously doubt that they are. Face it, people who cut some slack for off-field mistakes and people who freak out over every little percieved dirty look are into different sports.
Hmmm, BG, surprised to see you stick up for those demanding perfection of the skaters. You seem like someone who wouldn't mind it a bit if Debi Thomas just slugged Kat at that!

berthes ghost

Final Flight
:laugh:

You got me right the first time ptichka. I never criticise Surya, or Debi or Nancy or any of the other ususal whipping posts. Tonya's another matter, I don't demonize her, but I'm not an revisionist/appologist either.

Anyway, I just don't get this all too common lament. Do people seriously think that the same exact people who won't forgive Debi are going over to message boards and lecturing that we cut Daryl and Mike some slack just because they are men. I don't think so. :rolleye:

shine

Record Breaker
I think Silvio Smalun is THE skate god. I have been in complete awe of his skating and every single one of his programs, and his exhibition number to "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" was a total eye opener--it blew me away and left me stunned.

I don't understand how anyone could "not get" Oksana Baiul. When I saw her exhibition to "The Swan", I thought I had just witnessed the most perfect thing ever on ice.

Most of the seeded skaters (ie. the ones that we normally see on TV) bore me now, much thanks to Rinkside and Soulseek :)

I completely don't get the hype of Shizuka Arakawa and Julia Sebastyen.

I find Ryan Jahnke to be the most perfect male skater.

I love Yukina Ota to pieces, but I wish she would point her toes more. Same goes to Lambiel.

K/O are my favorite dance team ever, and I've never understood why K/O could not pass G/P no matter what.

When it comes to intepretation, I feel that Denkova/Staviyski are simply genius. The brilliance of some of their programs is quite unreal.

I think Manny Sandhu has never had a long program that makes use of his incredible talent, though many of his short programs have been rather brilliant.

Despite my :love: for Gwendal, I've never been a real fan of A/P.

Someone needs to teach Roman Kostomarov how to look visible on the ice.

Artur Dmitriev is the best pair skater ever, period.

I find B/S much more interesting/fascinating than G/G.

I feel had Tiffany Stiegler been a singles skater (with all the triples), she would be the biggest star of the era.

I think Matt Savoie is rather sexy. :D

Kurt Browning just doesn't do it for me, though "Nyah" was very, very good.

I think Plushenko's jumping consistency is supernatural.

The gushing over Lu Chen's Rach 2 escapes me. It's a very beautiful program, but I find it not as memorable as almost everybody seems to claim.

Johnny Weir kind of leaves me cold, though I can see why many are going crazy over him.

I absolutely adore Galler-Rabinowitz and Mitchell for their musicality, and think they have the talent to pass B/A in the future, despite their height difference.

Pairs has always been my least favorite descpline, and I seldom watch it nowadays since no teams who are usually shown on TV interest me.

I wish I had Eurosport!

Last edited:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
And I haven't seen either of the gold-medal pairs performances from SLS 2002. And I'm not sure I want to, because then I'd have to Decide, and lose my current neutral status on the whole argument!
Besides, I'm such a fan of B&S, I don't think I would be objective.

There's an easy soloution to that. Just watch B&S. You're not missing much if you skip watching S&P anyway.

Kateri

On the Ice
shine said:

I think Matt Savoie is rather sexy. :D

RK needs to have a big orange neon sign above him at all times, saying "I'm here too, you know!"...

And I thought that Matt Savoie was quite sexy with his hair long, I'm les sure now.

But then I (whisper it) think that Sergei Sakhnovsky is extremely sexy, so what do I know??:D

kat.

RIskatingfan

On the Ice
I'm not the biggest Joubert fan but I think many people only criticize him because it seems to be the "in" thing to do right now in skating. They forget he's young, was virtually unknown two years ago and is in fact improving very fast.

I cannot understand how people talk about Yagudin as if he is a coach with reputation. Going with Andrei Griazev to the JGP events last fall and working for a few days on technique with Joubert before the French Nationals (that actually seemed to work) does not make him a coach. This may change next season, looks like Joubert will be in Simsbury during the summer, but given how Yagudin has spent his whole season skating in shows all over the World, I never understand why people talk about him as if he was actually coaching someone or doing choreography for anyone LOL

Discussions about skaters' personalities based off a few words in interviews as well as overanalyzing one specific sentence in an article (especially when it comes from Sasha Cohen, Michelle Kwan or Michael Weiss) are so annoying. People are free to comment on what the skaters say, but mind reading is simply :rolleye:

I generally enjoy S/P's skating but B/S are in a different league and they totally deserved the Gold at SLC. Too bad they couldn't get to enjoy their victory as they should.

I also like S/Z alot but I don't get all the fuss about them. T/M are much better skaters and they have great programs. They just don't sell them as well.

A/P is one of my favorite ice dance teams ever, but their Olympic FD was such a disappointment.

I love Weir the way he is and I think there is nothing that needs to be changed in his presentation.

It puzzles me how people point (in a realistic manner) Kevin VDP as a podium contender, without a triple axel. The only time he landed it cleanly in competition for years was in Dortmund, in the LP.

I think ladies skating is way too stereotyped. Seems as though they HAVE to display the greatest extension, or polish, or a balletic style, a big smile while they skate, even if it doesn't fit the music... And even if this is the only thing they have, it instantly makes them the greatest skaters. Good skaters with good jumps and technique, but who don't excell at any of those qualities are simply "jumping beans".

I don't think the judging scandal at SLC has anything to do with the decrease of skating's popularity. Scandals bring attention, as the Kerrigan/Harding soap apera showed.

sarahmistral

On the Ice
forgot one...

I think skating should be
OPEN:eek::eek::eek:

like tennis, so that skaters whose level of difficulty has stood the test of time (i.e. Yama's 3Z-3T in 1992, Midori's 3A:love: ) can pick it up for another big competition, among other reasons.

Cheers!
Sarah

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
shine said:

What? You honestly expect Zhulin to not want 100% attention on his wife???!!! :laugh: In fact, he brainwashed poor Roman to the point where in a recent interview he said, "Now I realize that the real art of ice dancing for the male partner is in show-casing the lady"