True confessions of a skating kind | Page 3 | Golden Skate

True confessions of a skating kind

frozetoez

Rinkside
RealtorGal said:
Just a reminder that this is a FUN TRUE CONFESSIONS thread that entitles everyone to reveal his or her deepest, darkest thoughts about any aspect of skating. It is a SAFE ZONE to come clean. I don't want to see it degenerate into a "I love S&P/I hate S&P/I disagree with you so you must be an idiot" thread. This is not a debate thread--THAT can be taken to another thread if you like.

Things weren't even coming close to degenerating into an anti-S&P/Pro-S&P thread. We have a tendency to overreact a bit, don't we? :sheesh:

My true confession... It annoys me when people who weren't assigned the job of moderator try to police the board anyway. I already have a mommy, thank you.

lulu

Final Flight
Oh yeah, everyone has the right to their own confessions-these are just personal opinions.

1. Ilia Klimkin is the eligible male skater(sounds like something from the Bachelor:p ) that I'm the most excited about.

2. I spend WAY too much time on FS messageboards/websites. At my work(I worked at a library during the school year) two of my bosses asked me if I skate myself, because "everytime your on the computer, your looking up figure skating related stuff)

3. I think it is entirely possible to like different skaters with 2 different styles and are rivals.

4. I have high hopes for Obertas/Slavnov & I really like B/C-and there isn't a Moskvina team I don't like.

5. I think Medi is B&S's best program-and it is the type of program you need to see more than once to enjoy it.

6. I like Surya Bonley. She was unique, fun & athletic-and one of the skaters that always gives 100% to the audience.

7. Even though I would pick Urmanov over Stoijko-I admire the fact that Stoijko played by his own rules & incorparated his personality to skating.

8. I love Urmanov-mime gloves and all ;)

9. I think they're obviously talented, but Shen & Zhao never reached me the way they have so many people, and I don't think they're the greatest pair since the Protopopovs. That being said-Shen is simply adorable and I love her joy on the ice. If she's ever in the US again-we should have a girls nite out ;)

10. I think Bechke & Petrov are underrated.

11. I like the long hair look on the guys

12 I went from loving Yagudin to feeling indifferent. And went from feeling indifferent to Plushenko to loving him

13. I finally "got" Eman this year.

14. I'm actually excited about US pairs-and enjoy both Don & Hunt and Orcher & Lucash

15. I don't like B&A "Elvis"-but loved Sarajevo.

16. I didn't like B&S "Elvis & Marylin" either.

17 I don't like it when fans downgrade someone's skating-to booster their own favorite.

18 I have never cried watching a figure skating performance

19 I think Gordeeva & Grinkov were an extremely talented team-but I think they are remembered more for their "story" than their skating, and I don't think that they were "so good-that everyone were 'novices' in comparision as some fans say.

20. K&P's "Bach" and U&Z "4 Season" followed by G&P "St. James Inf." are my three favorite dances of all time.

21. I think U&Z's talent was so much more than "just" an Olympic Silver, Bronze and a world title. However, didn't like 1994 FD. If they had stuck to a "4 Season" like program-they would have probably won gold.

22. I don't understand the "vemon" some people feel towards G&P-they were a great team

23. IMVHO-Klimova & Ponamarenko are the greatest dance team of all time.

24. I still can't identify jumps-except the axel.

Last edited:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
I like that RGal, one of the nicest, most respected, and most reasonable posters here at GS is willing to put herself out there and say what lots of us are thinking in order to keep a fun thread just that.... FUN.

I also like that here at GS the long time posters who hang in here season in and season out feel a responsibility toward the board to self police it and keep things on track which helps to keep GS a place where we all enjoy coming to play.

I like that the mods here respect the posters and allow self policing only stepping in when things get too heated or out of line.

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I do think, we should wait until things get at least slightly uncivil before interrupting with warnings and pronouncements from on high.

Saint-Exupery

Rinkside
Thanks for the welcome, Mathman! And of course I agree with you, Lori Nichol is an absolute genius. She is the first and only superstar choreographer, in my mind. What makes her so great? Well, because her programs (especially her creations for S&P) make me feel....something. Wow, that was really deep.:rolleye: It's impossible to put into words, as we're dealing with intangibles here.....and Lori Nichol definitely knows the worth of intangibles--feelings and moods both subtle and bold, tiny, seemingly throwaway gestures that somehow break your heart, the value of silence and space. I know that some are apt to roll their eyes and shout, "what does that have to do with skating?" Well, those intangibles are what gives skating its power, in my opinion. I've never understood the concept of 'pure' skating because, for me, skating has always been about something more than wonderful, visceral technique.....yes, the sight of virtuoso bladework is a wonder to behold and has a beauty all it own, but skating, like any art or discipline, derives its power from its ability to use all that wonderful technique, all the resources of the medium, to convey a mood, a feeling, and possibly..... your heart? Because, ultimately, what are the skaters trying to do? Connect. (Gee, I feel like Forster here-- "only connect!") And the choreographers are the ones who gives them the tools to say whatever it is they're trying to say, and I think Lori Nichol is a master choreographer because her programs 'speak' like no other. At least for me. It's magic, I
tell ya. How she manages to 'convert' blade and ice and tremendous athleticism into pure feeling....it's magic.

This is all just my silly, convoluted opinion. What can I say, I have insomnia. Dont't take it too seriously.
If you disagree, that's OK.
If you disagree vehemently, WHOA! Calm down.:p
If you agree with me, you are my friend.:D

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
1. I like Terry G. I like his voice and manner. I think it's cool that a former national championship basketball player is doing figure skating commentary ... and it sounds like he likes it.

2. I rarely have a good reason why I like a skater. I either do or don't.

3. I like neat, tidy costumes. No wings, strings, hangy-thingies, or excessive sparkle for me, thanks.

4. I think pairs spins should be banned. I think they usually look awkward.

5. As much as I love to see exciting new skaters come on the scene, I hate to see the fall of the current top skaters.

Linny

Final Flight
True confessions

Since it's true confessions, I'm going to go out on a limb and admit it:

I like dance skating because I enjoy imagining myself in their boots, putting my hands.... there.

My husband cries for a skating performance more often than I do, but I think he partly feigns it because he knows I'm a sucker for a sensitive guy.

Linny

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
  1. I think ladies skating is pretty boring. Though I do like Sasha a lot, and sometimes am touched by a performace such as Sizhuka at Worlds or Michelle last year at Nationals.
  2. I really don't understand that much about edging and other "fine points" of the sport. I can follow it if I make a point of it, but if I am just enjoying the show, I don't look at that.
  3. I've never really liked Bourne & Kraatz (except for their 2003 FD). I think their Riverdance wasn't that good at all.
  4. While I agree that Shen & Zhao are the best pair right now, I don't consider them "the best ones since [...]".
  5. I never though that Gordeeva & Grinkov were "the best ones since [...]". I always prefered Moskvina's style. I would put G&G and S&Z at about the same level.
  6. Sale & Pelletier never did anything for me.
  7. While I agree that ISU has a lot of problems, I don't think WFSO (or whatever) is the answer. I don't hink that having skaters be the judges would solve anything. Example: Hamilton thought Yagudin could have placed behind Goeble in SLC.
  8. I think many people who hate Totmianina & Marinin do so "out of habit".
  9. Up until this season, I thought Plushenko did have good presentation. This season, however, I thought the program just didn't cut it.
  10. Even though this forum is fairly undertanding compared to others, I often don't say what I think for fear of being trampled.
    [/list=1]

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ptichka said:
Example: Hamilton thought Yagudin could have placed behind Goeble in SLC.
Ptichka, that used to make me so mad:mad: :mad: but the way you put it, it makes me:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

icenut84

Final Flight
tharrtell said:
5. As much as I love to see exciting new skaters come on the scene, I hate to see the fall of the current top skaters.

Me too! Like, my ideal mens podium in Moscow, based on my favourites, would be Plushenko gold, Lambiel silver, and either Klimkin or Sandhu bronze. BUT, at the same time, I don't want to see the fall of any other top skaters - like Joubert, and Goebel & Honda if they return.

Some more:

I also lost a lot of respect for Sale & Pelletier after SLC. I know neither pair had anything to do with the marking, and it was a hard situation for both, but I was very turned off by some of the comments they made. IMO, it could have gone either way, but I probably would have gone with B&S. Before SLC, I couldn't decide who I wanted to win. Now, B&S are among my faves ever and S&P aren't. (I've seen more of their performances now though, and just prefer B&S's style. It's not just based on SLC, at all, but that did turn me off S&P a bit.)

I think Sasha Cohen is an exquisite skater, when she's "on", but I think sometimes her expression looks very forced (e.g. her LP at 04 Worlds). I also think her Romeo & Juliet exhibition is overrated - way too many spirals, little choreographic content. However, Malaguena is one of my favourite programmes ever, and I think Sasha has some of the most beautiful positions of any skater in the world, ever.

I think Stephane Lambiel was very undermarked in the LP at Worlds - I think he deserved to be 2nd behind Plushenko in the LP, and Joubert third. (That would have given Joubert silver overall, and Lambiel bronze overall.)

"Sex Bomb" made me a Plushenko fan.

I count Michelle Kwan as one of my favourites, but I don't think she deserved either of the Olympic golds. I do, however, think she deserved her 96 Worlds gold over Lu Chen.

I think Irina Slutskaya, in hindsight, deserved the 02 Olympic gold, because even though Sarah Hughes deservedly won the free, Irina absolutely deserved to win the short.

I love Alexei Yagudin, but I think Todd Eldredge should have got the silver in 01 Worlds, and Alexander Abt absolutely deserved the gold in 2002 Europeans.

I love Oksana Baiul and much prefer her skating to Surya Bonaly or Nancy Kerrigan, but I'm not sure if I would have given her either the 93 World gold or the 94 Olympic gold.

I hate over-the-boot tights, and don't ever plan to wear them myself. (Not that I'd need my legs to look longer anyway, lol)

I think Oksana Baiul has one of the most beautiful flying camels ever, Irina Slutskaya one of the best butterflys, and Fumie Suguri one of the best death drops, among the women.

I loved Carolina Kostner's LP in 03, the Schindler's List section - thought it was beautiful. I love that music though.

It annoys me when posters describe someone as "skating with heart", lol - maybe I'm just a bit sick of reading that.

I think Nicky Slater is the best dance commentator I've ever heard (he covered Euros for British Eurosport).

I'm not really a very opinionated person. I have much stronger opinions on skating-related matters than I do for things outside of skating. :)

Olenska

Rinkside
- I think that the ladies' competition is BORING!
- I think that Evgeny Plushenko is fugly and his skating is uninspired
- Although I love Emanuel Sandhu and wish he would beat 'em all, I think that the near future of Canadian males belongs to Jeff Buttle.
- I have some diffuse, hard-to-put-my-finger-on dislike for Navka and Kostomarov
- I think that Denkova & Staviyski are genius
- I just :rolleye: when people go on and on about Eman's inconsistence. Alright, we get it already!
- I think the american ladies are run-off-the-mill.
- I think Vika Volchkova and Fumie Suguri are truly exquisite to watch.
- Salé and Pelletier never did anything for me...
- ... and I hate some male pair skaters' "Yes, I'm a figure skater, but I'm a macho man, look at me!" attitude. Oh, some single gentlemen are guilty of that too (I'm looking at you, Elvis S.!)

What else? I may come back later.

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Olenska said:
- I think that the ladies' competition is BORING!
- I think that Evgeny Plushenko is fugly and his skating is uninspired
- Although I love Emanuel Sandhu and wish he would beat 'em all, I think that the near future of Canadian males belongs to Jeff Buttle.
- I have some diffuse, hard-to-put-my-finger-on dislike for Navka and Kostomarov
- I think that Denkova & Staviyski are genius
- I just :rolleye: when people go on and on about Eman's inconsistence. Alright, we get it already!
- I think the american ladies are run-off-the-mill.
- Sal?and Pelletier never did anything for me...
- ... and I hate some male pair skaters' "Yes, I'm a figure skater, but I'm a macho man, look at me!" attitude. Oh, some single gentlemen are guilty of that too (I'm looking at you, Elvis S.!)

What else? I may come back later.
I agree with every single one quoted here. Where's the cheering smiley when you need it? :love:

Lucy25

Final Flight
I absolutely, positively hated Michelle Kwan's short hair. This pained me because she was (is) my favorite ladies skater.

I can not stand when skaters (male or female) skate with their hair in their face. I dislike long hair on men in general, but when it is flying all over the place on the ice, it just grosses me out. Therefore I never got what everyone seemed to see in Peter T. I just saw that hair - ewww! Ladies, pull back your bangs or cut them short. I'm talking to you, Angela, Tara, and Naomi.

I love fluff pieces, but only for the skaters I like. For all the other skaters, I use that time for a potty break.

Long live Dick and Peggy!:love:

I think M&D should have won the pairs gold in '94 over G&G. Their program is one of my favorites to this day.

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
1. I think US commentators are blatantly biased, though Dick is the least offender.
2. I think Mike Weiss is the most arrogant skater ever to be interviewed.
3. I love Sasha, but I can not stand her costumes!
4. I think that Artur Dimitriev is the most talented male pairs skater ever! Pair skating is my favorite disipline of FS.
5. From the retired male skaters, I LOVE Philip Candeloro! I also miss Abt and Yagudin.
6. Frank Carrol gives me the creeps.
7. I think that B&A are totally overrated and I think that Tanith is very flaky, fake..whatever.
8. I think B&S were robbed in Vancouver (Worlds 2001) but nobody started a Skatesgate 2001.
9. I never liked S$P (yes, the dollar sign is there for a reason), found the Love story somewhat tolerable the 1st season they skated it but after several seasons I couldn't watch it at all. Have no respect for them whatsoever. B&S won the Olympics, no question about ti.
10. I have a weak spot for intricate spinners - Buttle, Weir, all Swiss skaters.
11. I found the protest against C&S bronze very sick, and for that reason I really took a dislike in to D&S.
12. Rabid Michelle fans annoy the hell out of me.
13. Skinny Chinese female pair skaters really scare me.
14. I also prefer the white boots.
15.I think NA TV should show more of Dlabola and Berankova.
16. I miss pro competitions.
17. I think that skaters and their charms (chains, rings, ect) are really neat.
18. All of the above is really something I am open about all the time, so it's not really a confession, but here's a shameful one - I made my husband go with me to a COI several years ago only a couple of hours after his car got totaled in an accident. C'mon, I had 2nd row seats!!!

Yana

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I got one more - this will really identify me as a geek. At work, I develop medial software; when I test it, I have to "admit" fake patients. I always give mine the names of skaters. If I need to assign them to "caregroups", I create caregroups with the names of coaches those skaters train with and assign them there. I am currently testing on a system with 48 eligible skaters.

thvudragon

On the Ice
STL_Blues_fan said:
11. I found the protest against C&S bronze very sick, and for that reason I really took a dislike in to D&S.
Why only Denkova and Staviski? All they did was sign it and hand it in. Did you even consider that all the ice dancers except C&S and L&A signed that petition? Did you even consider that the planners of that petition were actually Tatiana Navka and Alexandr Zhulin?

I'm always left in disbelief when people choose to single out Denkova and Staviski when it is clear that all the singers took the same part. They get to be the scapegoat when all Albena did was hand it in. Of course, ignore the person who actually planned the whole thing :rolleye:

TV

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
Olenska said:
Your point being?

P.S. I still hear and read it very often.

Just that I hadn't heard it in forever, and it gave me a chuckle seeing it here.