True confessions of a skating kind | Page 4 | Golden Skate

True confessions of a skating kind

PrincessLeppard

~ Evgeni's Sex Bomb ~
Final Flight
My 9th graders don't use "fugly" but whatever. Couldn't you just say you find him unattractive? Oh, well. I still think he's beautiful. :)

Here's some more confessions:

1. I liked watching Ludmilla Nelidina skate, and I hope she comes back. I would also like her to work with TT and then we can find out how much of a genius TT really is.

2. I wish ESPN would hire Chris and Simon from Eurosport so that American audiences would know what quality commentary is all about. Add "unbiased" to that, too. And they ALWAYS have something positive to say about any skater, no matter how bad the performance might be. (Even if it's "Well, her opening pose was lovely." :laugh: )

3. I wish more of the male skaters had long hair.

Laura :)

PrincessLeppard said:
2. I wish ESPN would hire Chris and Simon from Eurosport so that American audiences would know what quality commentary is all about. Add "unbiased" to that, too. And they ALWAYS have something positive to say about any skater, no matter how bad the performance might be. (Even if it's "Well, her opening pose was lovely." :laugh: )

3. I wish more of the male skaters had long hair.

Laura :)

Good post, Princess, but I disagree.

I watched Eurosport in germany. Their bias to the German skaters was overwhelming. It didn't bother me. It's understandable. I am not about to go banqans with Peggy and dick who do indeed praise SC and MK as well as the American boys if they get into that last group of 6. And they never fail to mention Plushy's bum knee, or Irina's comeback from illness. They've also talked about Maniachenko and how Liashenko often beats her in the Ukrainian Nats. I didn't know that so that kind of commentary is most welcome.

My experiences with sports commentators whether I was in India, Africa, europe or Asia have all been the same. They praise their favories which more than likely will be natives of the country they are broadcasting from. I'm a Mets fan living in a Yankee world. I don't like it but it's not the end of the world.

What I would like to see is ESPN show all the last skaters in the last group of 6 and then some. The commentary, I can block out, if it's not relevant to the immediate skate.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Ptichka said:
when I test it, I have to "admit" fake patients. I always give mine the names of skaters.
I used to work on a multi-tenant, international ecommerce capability for my company, and when testing, I used to do the same thing! My co-workers always knew which were my test accounts :)

bronxgirl

Medalist
Joesitz said:
I'm a Mets fan living in a Yankee world. I don't like it but it's not the end of the world.

Joe

As a proud Bronx girl, born and raised, all I can say to you Joe, is
LETS GO YANK-EES!!! 26 World Championships and counting! :D

thvudragon

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
I watched Eurosport in germany. Their bias to the German skaters was overwhelming. It didn't bother me. It's understandable. I am not about to go banqans with Peggy and dick who do indeed praise SC and MK as well as the American boys if they get into that last group of 6. And they never fail to mention Plushy's bum knee, or Irina's comeback from illness. They've also talked about Maniachenko and how Liashenko often beats her in the Ukrainian Nats. I didn't know that so that kind of commentary is most welcome.
You got to watch British Eurosport in Germany? To my knowledge, every language has different Eurosport commentators.

I listened to the broadcast and I really didn't detect any bias. Different opinions, but nothing blatant.

TV

cygnus

Rinkside
1)Well, given that opinions on SLC are so vociferous, and split about down the middle, and that many have said that the result could have gone either way- I have come to the conclusion that the correct result was actually reached- IT REALLY WAS A TIE! So there.;)

2) I used to count the number of times Grischuk and Platov actually looked at each other while they were performing/competing. Occasionally it was once per performance.

3) I don't find Peter Tschernyshev all that attractive.

4)I feel guilty when I DO find young skaters (under 19 say) attractive-I'm old enough to be their mother!

5).... Unless they are French. One must respect cultural differences after all.;)

6) I think Plushenko is overrated.

7)I love watching synchro. Especially live. (More worlds in Ottawa!)

8) I spend way to much time on FS boards!

lulu

Final Flight
For not being a relative or a close friend of an elite skater-I take skating way too seriously.:sheesh: :eek:

I never was too keen on the team of Bourne & Kraatz, but after hearing all of the reviews-I'm looking forward to seeing Shae-Lynn skate solo.

Scott Hamilton & Jojo Starbucks don't have very good voices for commentary.

I think Evgeny Platov is hot.:love:

I want Plushenko to get a buzz cut.:eek:

I'm a huge K&P fan(see earlier post) but I never was a huge fan of their 80s routines-great technique and all. Including their very sweet Beatles medley. (maybe it was the costumes?) After switching to Tarasova though-I really loved their programs.

I think Dmitriev is "D'man"-sheesh talk about bad pun there ;) Love his wife's gymnastics too. And even though I :rolleye: at people who overhype anyone because he/she is the son/daughter of X Y or Z, I wouldn't mind seeing their son follow the family tradition.

However, I'm sick of the Natalia' spin at the end of every single M&D/K&D performance.

I think Miki Ando has more artistry than many people give her credit for.

The first time I went skating, I was 9-wore SHORTS.(At day camp & forgot we were going to the rink) fell once and refused to go back on the ice. (I've been back since)

My taste in figure skating changes every 10 minutes.

I love Weir, but thinks he needs more 'umph' in his skating.

I think Bestemova & Bukin routine where he is Rasputin and "dies" 7 times is hilarious. And no one can do a better Rasputin than Andrei.

All I know about Classical music-I've learned from figure skating.

Never got into Elstova & Bushkov, but do have tons of respect for them after that fluff piece about them at 1997 WC.

Despite all of the tacky, corny skating "comps" & shows like "Battle of the Sexes"-I am sorta nostalgic for the early "post Whack" years-and all of the skating that was on TV.

As much as I know it shouldn't-Kurt's B less than nice commentary about Alexei Urmanov, effected the way I feel about his skating.

I would love to make some figure skating fansites-but am too lazy to keep at it.

I don't get fans who have a "personal" vendetta against a skater whom they have never met in person. IE people who assume a skater is a "snob" "arrogant" etc-without actually meeting the skater.

I would LOVE to see the guys from Cheap Seats take on a figure skating competition.

ATW27

On the Ice
1. I think S&Z will go down as one of the greatest pair teams in skating history, and will be mentioned in the same breath with the likes of G&G, M&D, B&S; however, I don't think they'll get anywhere near the status and legend of the Protopopovs and Rodnina and partners. I also love Pang & Tong, and see great things in store for them.

2. I like T&M, but am at times indifferent about them. And I was getting very tired of their Cotton Club routine by the end of last year (but I think Art on Ice fits them very nicely. Also, their short programs are usually very good). On the other hand, after seeing them live, I've come to appreciate Petrova & Tikhonov more, and find my self actualy looking forward to them! In someways, I like them better than T&M.

3. I am realy getting concerned about the state of U.S. pairs; in particular, the fact that it seems none of the younger teams can stay together for any significant amount of time. However, I think hope for the future can be found in Orscher & Lucash (my fave U.S. pairs), and Don & Hunt. I think there are also promising young teams coming up for the junior ranks (if they can stay together, of course!).

4. I have no problem with the final placings of the men's competiton at Worlds this year, especialy those of Lindemann and Lambiel; allthough I recognize the power of Lambiel's two quads and spins, I was so much more into both to Lindemann's performances from the get-go.

5. Joubert is a great skater, with the exception of one area: His spins are I think the weakest of any of the current men (his camel is almost non-existant, for example). He really needs to work on those with Yags.

6. I like Weiss; I get frustrated at times about his consistancy though. But I get so :rolleye: about those people who want to twist his words to ridicule him. I agree with the poster who commented, "Blunt does NOT mean arrogant". I also get very tired of the stupid remarks some people make regarding his sexuality. And I see nothing wrong with his Civil War/Patriotic LP.

7. I have no problem with the final standings in dance at this years Worlds, in particularly the placings of the top-4; however, I think Denkova & Staviyski will comeback next year realy hungery for that top spot, which can easily go to them.

8. I love Faiella & Scali to bits! They were one of the highlights of Skate America '03 for me! I hope to see them on the podium at at least one of their GP events this coming season.

9. U.S. ice dance is realy coming into it's own. I am realy excited about dance at Nationals this coming season, inparticular the battle for third that will inevitably occur between M&Z (realy looking forward to them!), G-R&M, and G&B.

10. Navka is one of the most sexy women in skating today.

11. I think Yukina Ota's two programs this past season were amoung the finest women's programs of the season.

12. As corny as it sounds, I realy do think 'Jenny won the hearts of the audience' at Skate America; she certainly won mine. I was almost in tears at the end of her LP.

13. I've gotten so frustrated with AP, because she's such a beautiful, gracefull skater, but just seems to give up so easily and want to be somewhere else. AP, please, if you don't realy like skating, stop, and find something you you realy do like. Or get out from under momma's grip.

14. I realy admire Amber Corwin for her dedication and perseverance (sp?); It would be realy cool if she finish third at Nationals this season and get to go to Worlds. Then again, I'd be equally happy if Angela did that instead.

15. I find Sokolova hard to watch when she's off, because I've noticed how hard she tries even when things aren't going her way.

16. the enigma of Michelle Kwan. When I started watching skating, I was indifferent about Michelle; I respected her for her accomplishments and dedication to the sport, but felt so-so about her skating. Then, during the 2002/03 season, I realy grew to love her. Now, after this season, I'm starting moving back to being indifferent again. I think the reason why is this; in many (or even most) aspects of skating, there are others who are better than her, who have better jumps, spins (her spiral is one of the best, though), overall technique, and choreography. What sets her apart from everyone else, though, is the quality of performance; she knows who to grab an audience (and judges), draw them in, and take them along with her for an entire performance, and leave them wanting more. Not many elligable skaters today can do just that. I agree with Dick's comment "You love her and you believe she loves you", because there is such a warmth and comfort level to her skating. She also seems like such a nice person, too. I agree that Peggy & Dick's gushing about her does get excessive at times, though. I do think the judges were sending her a message at worlds this year, and I hope she does improve those aforementioned ellements, because the thought of a Michelle armed with triple-triples, better spins and choreography really excites me! And if she wins gold in 2006, I think it'll be the feel-good story of the century!

17. I Like Taylor and Meissner about equally, but think Taylor has the edge slightly, because her spins, footwork, and choreography are better. Kimmie is a little more consistant with the jumps, though. Love to see both of them succeed this coming season (top-ten at Nationals, going to the JGPF).

18. I don't mind Peggy and Dick that much as commentators, but wouldn't mind if ESPN gets new commentators; I'd be happy if they stayed with Peter, Suzie, and Terry. I also think Kerrigan deserves to get more commentating work, as I have been very happy with her commentating the last couple of Junior Worlds.

19. I wish ESPN/ABC/Whatever would show more skaters! The top-ten, at the very least!

20. I don't mind Lisa Guerrero, because she's VERY easy on the eyes!

21. I like fluff pieces, if for only one reason: we get to hear what the skater's voices sound like. For instance, before I heard an interview with her, I imagined Fumie as having a really high-pitched, girlish voice (like a young female heroine on an anime production), because she's such a petite, young woman. Her actualy voice is deeper that I expected.

22. I am convinced that Joesitz is really Dick Button writting under an alias;)

Andy W.

Last edited:

Koroleva

On the Ice
thvudragon said:
Why only Denkova and Staviski? All they did was sign it and hand it in. Did you even consider that all the ice dancers except C&S and L&A signed that petition?

TV

Don't forget that G&G also did not sign the petition. This made the podium at NHK last year quite uncomfortable for D&S I would imagine having both G&G and C&S on each side. ;)

millyskate

Rinkside
-I get bored to death by ice dance because you basically know what the placements are going to be before people take to the ice. the one or two upsets per year are just not worth waiting for.
I think it should be removed from the olympic program.

-i get bored and annoyed by galas when skaters only bother to do double jumps and skate around looking pretty.

-I think B&S deserved olympic gold.

-I like Baboo's skating a lot more than stephane Lambiel's.

-I do not think that Sandhu has amazing choreography.

-I get very angry when people on forums bash Baboo's skating and rave on about stephane lambiel.

-Shen and Zhao are the best pair i have ever seen skate.

-I enjoy quads and triple-triples.

millyskate

Rinkside
ps: about eurosport, the language you get is pretty random. i'm in france and get eurosport in english, but it sometimes changes without warning to german and sometimes even to polish or something.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ATW27 said:
I am convinced that Joesitz is really Dick Button writting under an alias;)Andy W.
AndyW, I agree a lot with what you have to say especially about Joesitz. I would have to add that I think that Mathman is really Peggy Fleming writing under an alias. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ATW27 said:
I am convinced that Joesitz is really Dick Button writting under an alias;)Andy W.
AndyW, I agree a lot with what you have to say especially about Joesitz. I would have to add that I think that Mathman is really Peggy Fleming writing under an alias. :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

icenut84

Final Flight
thvudragon said:
Why only Denkova and Staviski? All they did was sign it and hand it in. Did you even consider that all the ice dancers except C&S and L&A signed that petition? Did you even consider that the planners of that petition were actually Tatiana Navka and Alexandr Zhulin?

I thought it was Denkova that started the petition. That's what I'm sure I remember from the time, anyway.

dfj

On the Ice
icenut84 said:
I thought it was Denkova that started the petition. That's what I'm sure I remember from the time, anyway.

That's what I understand too. She wrote the Petition, got everyone to sign it and then (this was televised) presented it. Needless to say, none of those dancers was ever shown the decency of a response.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
1. I STILL don't get Torville and Dean. She looks stiff and robotic. I especially hate the hat routine and Cecilia. I guess I just don't care for comedy on ice except for Loyd Eisler's drag routines. I also hate the circus, clowns, and magic shows.

2. I think there should be an automatic deduction for dirty boots, skate covers, messy hair,costumes and makeup. Double deductions for ladies who wear the silver clippies to hold their hair back. This is your job and part of it is to look good when performing/competing. You have known for years that there is the possibility of being at a certain event. Act proffesional and either get an attractuive hair cut or grow it long enough to be put up neatly. Worse offenders Naomi lang, Albena Denkova, Irina Lobacheva. A hairdo that looks good in the mirror does not always hold up so well after skating, being turned and flipped all over the place.

3. Sasha Zhulin is just creepy:eek: :eek: :eek:

4. Chait and S atre penalized for not being backed by one of the larger federations. All of the complaints about their bronze medal and petition about her dad was a bunch of whiny cry babies who couldn't bear to see a team outside of the business as usual bunch on the podium.

5. I find it annoying when posters refer to skaters by nicknames and I have no idea who they are referring to. I also think that those posters want everyone to think that they are personal friends of the skater...and that is just WEIRD!!!

6 It really p***** me off when non North American fans constantly complain about NA commentators and appreciate nothing about NA skaters but are so happy to see their favorites benefit from NA training facilities. IMO all titles won by those who train outside of the country they are representing should have a little note attached that says..." This medal was won by the country of_____________ it would not have been possible though without the training facilities of (insert country where trained) because the the winning country while happy to accumulate titles does not care enough to provide its athletes with adequate training facilities."

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
In a way it does! I watch FS to be entertained. It's not my reason for living, LOL. To me C&S are far more enjoyable to watch...they actually have a personality on the ice. Segeii has that very strong look while Gailit is so fragile looking. I love the way he sets her down after the lifts. A root canal would be more enjoyable than watching the paine, annoyed whatever you want to call it look on Jayne Torville's face.

I realize that most of the world hold T&D in high regard. I think Irina S. looks too clumsy for her skating to be enjoyable to me. I don't see anything attractive at all in Yagudin or Plushenko. The only male ice skaters I find attractive are Weiss, Zimmerman, David Pelletier and Steven Cousins that I can think of right now.

I think for me I enjoy pairs and ice dance more if there is at least a little hint of romance between the couple.